• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

JocMeister #21 Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:08 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20901 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostWindSplitter1, on 27 December 2017 - 06:36 PM, said:

1. Poor performance leads to more battles with the continued poor performance, slowing tank grind (should be a fair warning something's wrong though).
  2. You can't be relied upon when your team needs you the most.
  3. Unless playing SPGs or LTs, where your eyes must be on the map 95% of the time, map reading is glacial, and that's when it's there.
  4. Can't do well in lone wolf events.
  5. LTs (most played class) are effectively removed from the game with their long reloads, decreased mobility, survivability and view range.

And I could go on like this forever...

They say "watch streams" but in streams, direct fire players ignore the unicum and only arty shoots them.

Platooning with good players or playing alongside with them tends to help a lot but those are rare to find.

Best advice I've received was "L2P a proper tank". My guess is that would be a Soviet Medium, since that's what good players drive, although that's an oversimplified point of view.

I understand this post is repetitive but I'd like to receive advice to git gud. Please.

First of all I don´t think you classify as "bad". :)

When I was in your position which was around 6k battles I started looking at YT vids. Came across a US guy named Zeven who looked through replays people sent in. He gives a lot of commentary in them why he thinks something was good or bad. Here is a link: https://www.youtube....WABrOga3edyKx8Y I highly recommend you to watch them. It will give a lot of insight into how unicums play and why they do some stuff.

Twitch streamers are also very good to watch. There are many but Orzanel, SirFoch and Circonflexes are good choices as they play lots of different tanks. Also as some said make sure you know every tank in the game. Weakspots, strengths, weaknesses and whatnot. I went to tanks.gg every time I was killed by a tank I couldn´t pen and looked at the armor profile.

IMO platooning to get better...not a very good idea. Never worked for me at least and I always "underperform" when playing in Platoon. If you already struggle with your own game how are you supposed to watch and pick up what your platoon mate are doing while playing yourself? Might work for you though and you won´t know until you try!

You do play some "odd" tanks a lot. Chaffee, OI Exp. Churchill III, T49 and E1 to name a few. All of them have pretty "odd" gameplay and perhaps not the best tanks to "get gudder" in? :). Perhaps you should consider starting a few new lines and try to master them? Perhaps stick at tier 6 and 7 until you feel you have reached the level you want before moving up? I always recommend the T-34-85 as a solid trainer and if you can get a good performance in it you can in pretty much any tank. It can do a little of everything with decent mobility, some armor and pretty nice gun. Its also pretty forgiving and will let you concentrate on working on mapawerness etc.

Edited by JocMeister, 28 December 2017 - 07:10 AM.

SABAOTH #22 Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:27 AM

Major

• Player
  • 36433 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View PostWindSplitter1, on 27 December 2017 - 06:36 PM, said:

They say "watch streams" but in streams, direct fire players ignore the unicum and only arty shoots them.

Platooning with good players or playing alongside with them tends to help a lot but those are rare to find.

Best advice I've received was "L2P a proper tank". My guess is that would be a Soviet Medium, since that's what good players drive, although that's an oversimplified point of view.

I understand this post is repetitive but I'd like to receive advice to git gud. Please.

Okay a serious post once in a while so I will try helping.

• Awareness, watching the map constantly and using the terrain: that's how you don't get shot, or you can bait shots and let the enemy miss and retaliate for damage
  • Platooning with good players is excellent for winning more, but you need to play solo to be able to improve: you need to become able to fix tomatoes, always consider your team as they are your platoon, no matter how useless they are: you can always take advantage
  • Soviet mediums are the strongest tanks in game. But they are not easy, you need to be able to perform good in underpowered tanks to perform great in soviet mediums. Heavy tanks are more forgiving, what is good about the  soviet line is the magic tracks and side armor that absorb heat very well. Try british and americans as training they are in the middle between german and soviet play style, and good turrets help with ridge fighting
  • Consider this: every minute you stay alive you have the potential to farm your entire dpm. usually in the first 3-4 minutes the average players play reckless to place 1 or 2 shots, getting hit twice as much. This is the biggest mistake, take the shot only when in safe, expecially at the beginning. Low hp tanks are always the priority to kill, keeping your hp up will protect you in the later phases of the game and you will farm damage. (this is by no mean an invite to camp, play aggressive but use the terrain as an armor)

I took the long way to learn and I am still learning: my approach was 1-  learn to use the armor (driving in the open like a moron and trying to survive against shots and gold spam, although I got pretty good at it) 2- learn to hit weakspots (that is not super relevant considering sniping is useless with the rng dispersion it works only when is bullseye, so try to take most shots when you have all weakspots in your circle) 3- awareness (aka get out of tunnel vision snajperer mode) 4- map awareness (comes with practice) and minimap monitoring 5- terrain exploiting 

If you do exactly the opposite of me you will improve much faster than I did. :trollface:

But there is plenty of good suggestions here, the most relevant imho is summarized play active (dont camp) and stay alive (dpm) :girl:

Edited by SABAOTH, 28 December 2017 - 07:27 AM.

spuriousmonkey #23 Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:05 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42855 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I thought I was gitting guder, but then realized I am actually gitting badder.

I think I need to relearn some aspects of the game.

Emeraldweed #24 Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:27 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6951 battles
  • [-322-] -322-

Play a leopard 1 and when you get crapon by everything ( even birds that fly above you )  you will learn how to play :P 

Next time you play a game press 2 times the ''+" key, this will enlarge your map in a way you can easily see it  and analyze it in a glimpse.

Best tutor for me was a unicum, i still i have no idea why he platooned with me, he could carry games and micromanage me at the same time and i was a lowbie 47%er with 7k battles xD , taught me a lot of things.

Pansenmann #25 Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:40 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33392 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostLittleLILI, on 27 December 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

*advice*

yep, I often fail at 6 and 7 :)

stretch out too far, get surrounded and die horribly.

Edited by Pansenmann, 28 December 2017 - 08:46 AM.

TankkiPoju #26 Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:41 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 19951 battles

Well its true that in WoT there usually are "meta tanks" that at the time are very strong. These tanks are easier to win games in.

MrRaykes #27 Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5915 battles

View PostPansenmann, on 28 December 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

yep, I often fail at 6 and 7 :)

stretch out too far, get surrounded and die horribly.

Me too, my biggest mistake.

Need to learn to take it slow...

Svenmpa #28 Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:23 AM

Private

• Player
  • 16834 battles
  • [SWEEC] SWEEC

My tips for getting better:

1 - Use tanks with some armour. The armour gives you time to take some shots while you figure out how your tank class should be played. I got much better when I stuck with the T-29 for many many games. Sure, you won't be the one mopping up in the end and get lots of shots in when the enemy are on the retreat, but that can come later.

2 - Don't take chances. No, I am not saying "camp in a corner", but if your gut says "I am taking a chance with this move!", don't do it. Your gut is almost allways right. When you get better those moments of taking chances are far less as you know more when it looks like you are taking a chance but in reality you have good awareness of where the enemy are, what tanks they have left, and their HP pool.

3 - Play tier 7 and 8. OK, tier 8 is a bit of a butt hurt right now, but what I am saying is playing in lower tiers than 7 and 8 teaches you a play style that isn't suited for higher tier games. Players on the lower tiers are far more often tomatoes or just not that skilled and the tactics that work on those tiers differ from those you will meet on tier 7 and above. Playing on tiers above 8 isn't something you should do too early either. I made the mistake of going too fast to tier 10 and got totally wrecked in my sturdy T-62A. What I should have done is slowly go from my tier 7 T-29 up the tiers and properly learn the meta of each tier.

Search_Warrant #29 Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:56 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 26086 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Eh, yesterday i officialy turned a blue player. i dont even know how or why as i play like a idiot. i wish i could give advice but i dont even know how  i "git gud"

Edited by Search_Warrant, 28 December 2017 - 09:57 AM.

TheWarrener #30 Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:32 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2204 battles
You are not bad by any means, just average. And you just did the best thing you possibly could - acknowledged it. 95% of skill in this game is positioning. Install that God forsaken, shitty xvm mod and watch closely where purple and blue players tend to go on certain maps. By positioning I also mean retreating in the right moment. You can also watch LemmingRush's streams, he tends to explain what he's doing in real time for educational purposes

Edited by TheWarrener, 28 December 2017 - 10:33 AM.

dennez #31 Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:34 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16750 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postspuriousmonkey, on 28 December 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

I had the same thing.. Rebought M48, played some games, all 3K+ dmg and here i thought.. Well fck me, i finally learned how to play tier X. I just didn't have the right tank for it that suits my playstyle!

And then i got a few all tier X tanks games combined with a wee bit too much confidence.. Lets just say it went down the shitter.. Bad.

I'd love to git gud at tier X, but i cant stand the completely different "meta" in full Tier X games, so i scurry down to Tier 9 like a beaten dog every time.. Oh wel..

malachi6 #32 Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:28 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 48801 battles
What I learned from tubers and streamers was use of terrain, bushes vision and angles.  I then applied that in my own slapdash way to how I play.

SlyMeerkat #33 Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:40 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15296 battles
  • [FILO] FILO
I always play to do my very best and learn what i can and as long as i am doing that, im happy with myself :)

qpranger #34 Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:45 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 30843 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSlyMeerkat, on 28 December 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

I always play to do my very best and learn what i can and as long as i am doing that, im happy with myself :)

Good meercat.

PhooBar #35 Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:50 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17982 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I Dunno, Windy...

You might not be purple and all that, but you look OK to me.

Did you really want to join KAZNA?   

View Postspuriousmonkey, on 28 December 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

You never call me anymore... I feel so abandoned.

Let's toon like we used to.

Search_Warrant #36 Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:46 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 26086 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostPhooBar, on 28 December 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

I Dunno, Windy...

You might not be purple and all that, but you look OK to me.

Did you really want to join KAZNA?   

You never call me anymore... I feel so abandoned.

Let's toon like we used to.

That chart is a lie! im light blue and that says very good? im not very good at all. i play like a moron!

speedphlux #37 Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:11 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42013 battles
  • [TZAR] TZAR
Chart is lie ! I support that statement.

According to it, I'm "great", when in reality, I call myself "adequate".

WindSplitter1 #38 Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:44 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14865 battles

Wow... Such useful advice! Thanks everyone! :)

For now, I'll start by watching some streams and change some tank lines. Some grinds are just awful and I can't stand being cracked open like a credits/exp piñata.

Then some tooning. There's a lot to process, more than I imagined))))

Also tagged with tomato, no, more

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users