Your favorite older games/hidden gems.

old but gold also moms spaghetti

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Derethim #1 Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:35 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17135 battles

Almost every gamer has an assortment of his faves he returns to pretty often and replays them/finally finishes them out of pure nostalgia.

For me, I like games from early 2000s. Back then I only had a PS1, which kinda' introduced me to gaming and out of there I can name 3 games, that were absolutely epic and I'd love to be able to play them on pc :)

These three were Crash Team Racing, which was basically Naughty Dog's Mario Kart with Crash bandicoot in it.

Then the 3D Rayman was pretty epic.

Also, Nuclear Strike a fighting helicopter game from early EA.. replayed it recently on PC, was pretty epic and had good graphics for it' release date, which is my birth year, haha.

On Win I absolutley loved Freelancer, Flatout and an isommetric RPG from an Ukrainian game dev called "Golden Land", not sure if you've heard of it, as there never was an english version. Only Russian, Czech etc.

What's your nostalgia titles?

kaneloon #2 Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27362 battles
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC

Never heard of your games ^^

On pc Dune 2 was a big shock, civilization was a big time eater.

And world of warcraft on beta test was very very impressive.

Asghaad #3 Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:35 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 13273 battles
  • [PPDCZ] PPDCZ

Turn based strategy : X-Com : Enemy Unknown is THE best game ever :)

RPG : Baldurs Gate 2 : Shadows over Amn/Throne of Bhaal - legendary, vast and absolutely EPIC

FPS : Deus Ex

RTS : Red Alert 2

Platformer : Abuse

Puzzle : Gobliins

Simulation: Starlancer

TsundereWaffle #4 Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26579 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Pfff, the amount of things I played back on the Gamecube and N64...

Graeme0 #5 Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 24157 battles
  • [M-O-M] M-O-M

Commodore 64, Raid on bungling bay.

Fantastic game at the time and very difficult to complete,

Balc0ra #6 Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64443 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Never was much of a console player back in the day. I bought the PS1 in the mid 2000's. And I have all of the retro consoles now. But I got my first gaming rig back in early 97. It was a 166 MMX with 32mb of ram, 4.7 gb hard drive, 4m Voodoo 1 card and a 4mb 2d card "3d cards did not have a 2d chip back then". I still have it, tho some components have been swapped out. Like the ram for 64mb and the hard drive with a 20 gb one less then a year ago. But it's still here. And I still play some of the old gems from back in the day.

3dfx versions of NFS 2 SE and NFS III is installed on it. Same with the 3dfx version of Mechwarrior 2, Interstate 76 Nitro and some of the early C&C games, like C&C 95 and Red Alert and Baldurs Gate and Icewind dale & KKND to name a few. I still love all those games. And even Nuclear strike. I got a shelf full of 3dfx games and boxes I still play. I just love that system.

Tho my alt time fav game is still on that system, and still installed on this system as it's on steam now to. Works great in Win 10 with 4K without any mods or tools. It's the old RTS called Total Annihilation. Tho Starcraft is still a favorite to I still play. Even more now after the remastered came with Bnet. I still go back more to Total Annihilation. As it was way ahead of it's time back then. So it's aged rather well. Tho oddly enough. It's sold on steam under the Wargaming banner. As they bought the studio that owned it a few years ago that was then called Gas Powered games, that also inc their sequels.

My 2nd all time fav game is Doom... The classic one. Tho that is not installed on my 166mmx, or my 386/486 combo system. I have it on this rig. As the mods for it never did stop coming. And brutal doom don't run to well on a 4mb svga card :P

Edited by Balc0ra, 28 December 2017 - 01:03 PM.

Derethim #7 Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17135 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 28 December 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

It's the old RTS called Total Annihilation

I know that one for sure :D

You should try Supreme Commander if you like TA, it's spiritual successor.

View PostAsghaad, on 28 December 2017 - 12:35 AM, said:

Starlancer

Freelancer is basically a sequel to Starlancer, done by the same guy, who's now working on Star Citizen.

Panocek #8 Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29050 battles
Old Command and Conquer series (Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun), Roller Coaster Tycoon, 1nsane (sometimes known as Insane), Stunt GP, Diablo 2.

Nishi_Kinuyo #9 Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:09 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 7484 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Can't believe that one hasn't been mentioned yet.

As for FPS games; there's the original Unreal and its expansion Return to Na Pali.

And another great RPG is Gothic.

Hardass #10 Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 32723 battles

IMO unless you had a C64 or ZX spectrum your not a proper gamer this is old school this is where all our gaming content comes from now those 2 giants of the 80's

Edited by Hardass, 28 December 2017 - 06:20 PM.

Derethim #11 Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17135 battles

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 28 December 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

And another great RPG is Gothic.

Gothic I, II and III, Risen series and anything from Piranha, except Arcania. That crapsucked.

Nishi_Kinuyo #12 Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:35 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 7484 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostDerethim, on 28 December 2017 - 07:29 PM, said:

Gothic I, II and III, Risen series and anything from Piranha, except Arcania. That crapsucked.

Arcania isn't from Piranha Bytes. :girl:

Neither is the Gothic 3 stand-alone expansion.

But yeah, they're all great, and I got all of them.

Balc0ra #13 Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64443 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostDerethim, on 28 December 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

I know that one for sure :D

You should try Supreme Commander if you like TA, it's spiritual successor.

Supreme Commander is a "WG" title now. As they own the studio. It's not bad. The first one is way better then the second one. As it goes down on scale for each title in therms of map size and unit cap etc. Total Annihilation still gets the biggest battles, as the biggest maps takes 15 min to cross. Supreme commander does it in 5 min. Then you have Planetary Annihilation that the old Cavedog crew made. It's not as fun as Totala, but more worthy then Supreme Commander IMO. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 28 December 2017 - 11:17 PM.

steview162 #14 Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:24 PM

Brigadier

• Clan Diplomat
  • 33069 battles
  • [-T-O-] -T-O-

Red Baron, Battle of Britain swiftly followed by SWOTL. M1 Abrams and Team Yankee.

Great Naval Battles 1 and 2.

The original Silent Service on the Amiga, then 2 and 3 on the PC. 

Dune 2 ofc. 

Rick Dangerous...the pleasure of throwing the disc at the wall was the only pleasure that game gave.

Panzer Battles, outstanding game. 

Close Combat

Edited by steview162, 28 December 2017 - 11:58 PM.

Derethim #15 Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:06 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17135 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 28 December 2017 - 11:17 PM, said:

Supreme Commander is a "WG" title now. As they own the studio. It's not bad. The first one is way better then the second one. As it goes down on scale for each title in therms of map size and unit cap etc. Total Annihilation still gets the biggest battles, as the biggest maps takes 15 min to cross. Supreme commander does it in 5 min. Then you have Planetary Annihilation that the old Cavedog crew made. It's not as fun as Totala, but more worthy then Supreme Commander IMO. 

*internal screaming*

Whyyyyyyy

Yes, I agree the first one is way better, than the second one. Pity it has the "inflation problem". The longer you play it, the slower the game is and there seems to be no fix to it.

TA maybe had a bit too big maps and you have to agree, that Supcom FA has battle scales, that make you go "HOLY MOTHER!" Planetary Annihilation ... eh. Seen the trailers on that one, doesen't seem as majestic.

When a Battleship fired in Supreme Commander you had your screen shake and every projectile was marked on the map as it flew toward it's target. It looked awesome.

Xandania #16 Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:19 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35453 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

Oooooooh - that could become such a list ;)

Lets start:

Lands of Lore

Wizardry (the complete series) - although I'm not that certain it is a hidden gem as it had quite a following back in the day, as did

Simon the Sorcerer and both

Discworld  point & click adventures

Netstorm was a new and great RTS with buildings instead of units (and now it gets a remake on Steam)

Stratosphere saw people brawling with flying fortresses

Populus was great in the god game genre

Arichimedean Dynasty / Schleichfahrt was a gorgeous post-apocalyptic submarine game with atmosphere spilling over the player

Crisis in the Cremlin and Buzz Aldrins Race to Space were both wonderful games and both got remakes by now

The Fuggers 2  were a wonderful trade sim predating what would become the Guild

PC-kaiser was also really amazing

Dune and Dune 2 (both from the same year and in different genres) were both excellent

The fool's errand  - a really old but good puzzle game with multiple layers

Master of Magic - featuring Klackons

Commander Keen - which I'd rate as a classic

Captain Comic - not widely known but innovated platformers like no other game of the day

Alleycat  - a tomcat in few colours getting presents for the feline

Battlezone - drive a tonk, command forces, build a base and shoot on foot - wonderful - and got a remake

Blood and Blood II - imaginative shooter - still very nice

Deus Ex Machina - not really a game but great

Deus Ex - the original was also absolutely superb

Leisure Suite Larry - my first game - back int he day when I had to use a grammar and dictionary to understand English

Grandia - anime-style RPG

Warzone 2100 - the techtree!!! - you could play a multiplayer game for a day and not get all the techs researched - in an RTS! - also featured builting units out of components

Alpha Centauri - still better than current Civ games - although I sunk so many hours in the first one...

I have no mouth and I must Scream - point and clicky adventure with multiple endings - gave me nightmares in the 90s

MAD TV - requires no explanation

Dime City - comic-like crime sim

Akte Europa - another RTG - this time without construction of buildings, very limited resources, loads of techs, limited ammo and fuel.

Clonk - before Worms, there was Clonk - manage, dig, build, fight - Clonk had it all

Gobliiins and follow ups - guide your Goblins through difficult levels like past a door. Really fun - you wanted to try every option to see what happens - and you wanted to save often :)

oh, and I think these were all PC ;)

And they describe what I did int he 90s pretty well

Ediths note:

James Pond: Codename Robocod - a charming platformer

Edited by Xandania, 29 December 2017 - 08:20 AM.

890 #17 Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41246 battles
Panzer General II

SirDixie #18 Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19411 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Ah, the memories

Toejam and Earl 2

Discworld

Blade Runner

Grim Fandango

War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Desert Fighters

Cutthroats

Overlord

Royal Flying Corps

Lemmings

Star Trek Birth of the Federation

Battle of Britain (Talonsoft version)

Strappster #19 Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:21 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

The biggest time-sinks I had as a kid were probably Haunted House on the Atari 2600 and Jet Set Willy on the Spectrum. Never completed JSW, I blame the squash-sensitive keyboard.

7th Guest was my first PC game, I remember being hugely impressed with the video in the game and bought a copy from Good Old Games a little while ago that I need to get stuck into. I have more games now than ever before thanks to Steam sales and companies like GOG and Humble Bundle but I always need more time to get around to playing them. I bought Batman: Arkham Asylum as my first game on Steam, it's been in my library without being played for nearly 4 years now and I'm tempted to see how long I can leave it now.

_T_1_T_4_N_0_ #20 Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29080 battles
  • [SQCI] SQCI
For me it all kickstarted on the Spectrum and that early British Indie scene Jet-Pac to Jet Set Willy and the plethora of titles that opened up the game industry.
Can not remember if Uridium & Chuckie Egg where CMD64 or Amiga.
Kick off, Sensi Soccer & Football manager where definately on the Amiga.
Then PC where Doom blew the roof off the FPS world and Hexen, Quake, Duke Nukem...

Probably one of the biggest sinks of my time was the first X-Wing Star Wars Sim & Doom with Doom being much easier to complete.
We had 3 PCs networked running doom with an ongoing fight for the fastest PC :) Those where the days.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users