• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

K_A #61 Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:17 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13566 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I had a happy childhood with these two fellas:

Still the best PS2 trilogy of all times, best console trilogy .period. in my books, and the only reason I'm really reluctant to sell my PS3, because I have the remastered versions for it :)

Another golden one I have really fond memories of are Age of Empires 2 and 3, I never owned 2 myself because at the time I didn't have a computer, but my friend had it and we would play it at his house. Then once I got my first computer that could actually run some games we both got AoE 3 and played that thing a lot. Neither of us were particularly great in it but we managed to formulate a good strategy for 2v2 that often caught the enemy off guard really bad. The online stuff was crazy, though. You had to memorize build orders to the second, and a 10 second delay could be the difference between performing a successful rush or getting completely annihilated :)

Edited by K_A, 08 January 2018 - 09:17 AM.

xx984 #62 Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:18 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 50845 battles
  • [GO-IN] GO-IN
I remember being addicted to Ratchet and clank. Good times!

SuedKAT #63 Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:24 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBalc0ra, on 08 January 2018 - 08:48 AM, said:

There are many open source games worth testing. OpenTTD had an update just before Xmas. So really worth checking out, and has a Linux or Mac version even. Issue is that the game is open source. The music is not sadly, but still easy to add. Same with OpenRA, that is the open source for Red Alert 1, C&C and Dune 2000 all in one. So you can play the games in 4K if you want, and it's 100% free and legal. Sadly music is not open source there neither. But if you have the original disk, you can still add the music etc. And Red Alert 1 ISO's is free on on the EA website, so you can download it for free there to get it. Or from any torrent site tbh 100% legal. As it's open source now. I still head to OpenRA rather often to play online. As it's still fun as all heck.

Yeah there are a ton of open source games out there that are great, quite a few of my favorite games have open source versions out there that not only makes it easy to run them on a modern system but most fix annoyances and UI limitations that were present back then. I have OpenRA, OpenTTD, FreeCiv and FreeCol installed at all time since, together with modded versions of Settlers 2, Anno up till 1404, Rimworld and Civ 5 I pretty much always have something to play that I enjoy. 

There is an alternative to OpenRA, CnCnet, haven't tried it my self yet, but I've heard many speak about it. I also want to recommend Unknown Horizons if your into Anno games and  KaM Remake if your into Knights and Merchants. Warcraft 2 Combat Edition is also great fun and then we have Renegade X, haven't tried it my self yet, but I plan to shortly since I loved C&C Renegade as a kid.

But in the end, nothing beats a Mammoth Tank, especially from the original demo, I played that demo to bits and loved every minute of it :)

jabster #64 Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:52 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12516 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostEvilier_than_Skeletor, on 07 January 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

Unless I've forgotten all about Fallout 2, mid-game is where it gets interesting. When you get to New Reno (or whatever the mobster city is called) and the missions from rivaling families start dropping in. Thanks for the tip, somehow I've missed the original Planescape and the enhanced edition altogether. I'll check it out.

I can certainly recommend it even if it’s just for setting which makes a real change from normal orcs and dwarfs fantasy setting. The part I think makes it very good is that it’s story driven and although there is combat it really takes a back seat.

The enhanced edition can be picked up pretty cheap on Steam so give it a shot. Maybe I’ll try and get a bit further in FO 2 and have a look at what mods are available.

UrQuan #65 Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:42 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 19049 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSuedKAT, on 07 January 2018 - 06:03 PM, said:

Have you tried OpenTTD, it's an "open source simulation game based upon Transport Tycoon Deluxe", it comes with a lot of improvements and new ways of customizing the game compared to the original, you also have a ton of mods, so you can add tons of new real trains, boats, planes, trucks and even change the landscape, buildings and a lot more. I play it a lot and it's one of those go to games I always have installed :)

It is the version I use indeed, but I have to admit that I use very few modifications. Mainly the larger map really & some vehicle additions for some variety (and AI). but I do enjoy how customizable it is!

Edited by UrQuan, 09 January 2018 - 05:42 PM.

SuedKAT #66 Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:31 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostUrQuan, on 09 January 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

It is the version I use indeed, but I have to admit that I use very few modifications. Mainly the larger map really & some vehicle additions for some variety (and AI). but I do enjoy how customizable it is!

I've played it since the original came out, my cousin had that and Dune 2 when I was little so I spent loads of time at their place :)

I've gone through most of the mods, not only the ones available directly in the game engine, but also the ones from obscure Russian and Polish sites (which seem to be two nations that really love trains). Now I alternate between different sets and build massive realistic setups, great fun for someone that enjoy stuff like that, I mean I can spend 30-60 mins perfecting the look of a single station :)

LandserSkin #67 Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:57 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 29085 battles
  • [HTKL] HTKL
I don't even know where to start, there is such a big list. Most of them may be well know games like the Civilization franchise, Dune 2 and 2000, Rise of nations franchise, Command an Conquer all games until and including Red Alert 2 and C&C Generals. Men of War: Assault Squad franchise, Warcraft 1,2,3, Carmaghedon, NFs series, GTA series, the GROM point and click RPG game (Indiana Jones style treasure hunting, mystery solving), Bomberman, Mario, Duke Nukem (the 2D platformer version), Elder scrolls series, the Crashday car werck derby simulator (i am pretty sad it doesn't work above windows XP even with compatibility mode, it was a great game for its time, with realistic car deformation, explosions, custom track builder where you could build crazy tracks for yourself) and so many more, i could fill pages with what i've played if i could remember the names.

LandserSkin #68 Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 29085 battles
  • [HTKL] HTKL

View PostRegularLogic, on 31 December 2017 - 12:03 AM, said:

Audio surf if you're looking for a different kind of ride.

Where have you been all my life?

Also tagged with old, but, gold, also, moms spaghetti

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users