• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Balc0ra #41 Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 61987 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostTh3Grimmi, on 03 January 2018 - 08:05 PM, said:

By the way, for anyone interested in classic games from older consoles, you can get yourself a PSP (with broken UMD reader, its cheaper) and install a custom firmware with some emulators and games for them. You can find everything on google

PSP is still the best emulator tool on the go around. Cheaper then any dedicated emulator system they sell.

Get the PSP 2000/3000 variant if anything for that as it has 64mb ram vs the 1000 that have 32. So some emulators for "newer" systems run better on it. As Neo Geo's Metal Slug games slow down badly on the 1000 variant to name one. I have a 3000 model, and he runs Neo Geo just great. And unlike the vita, there are no new firmware updates that will screw up the root of it to make it work anymore. Considering how cheap a used PSP is, and how easy it is to get them going with emulators. It's silly not to recommend it for those that don't have it. I have SNES, NES, Game boy, Sega, Sega CD, Neo Geo and C64 running on mine.

I would not recommend the PSP GO or Street for it. As the smaller monitor and the controller layout is not working for me anyway.

Edited by Balc0ra, 03 January 2018 - 08:48 PM.

SuedKAT #42 Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:25 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Regarding emulation, I got a laptop connected via HDMI to the TV and just run emulators on that. Most of the emulators work best with an Xbox controller, but I use x360ce to emulate one and instead use my old Saitek controllers and an old Joystick. Works wonders up until the first Xbox, then that specific laptop can't handle it that well. 

I got pretty much ever ROM created for every system except handhelds since I was never into those when Gameboy or WonderSwan was a thing, but I got all PSP ROM's since quite a few of those games are great, I play quite a few of them frequently and loads of them are great fun to play with friends and family. 

I got a few of the older systems in a box in storage, but I never use them, emulation are close enough to the authentic experience and it's so much easier. Can't l've without my old computers though, it's something else to play old DOS games on a proper DOS computer with a proper CRT :)

UserZer00 #43 Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:55 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8802 battles

View PostXandania, on 03 January 2018 - 07:45 PM, said:

And I think no one mentioned Dungeon Keeper so far - or I am visually inept ;)

Hello sailor

jabster #44 Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:20 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12510 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

I used to very much be into MAME (I still have an X-arcade controller around somewhere) as I’m of the age where you spent a lot of time plugging 10p’s into arcade games. R-Type, Juno First, Xevious ... what’s not to like. 

Never been into the console side of things, never even owned one, but we did used to play quite a few matches of FIFA after the pub. 

jabster #45 Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12510 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostXandania, on 03 January 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

And I think no one mentioned Dungeon Keeper so far - or I am visually inept ;)

I rather liked it but, like many resource builder games, I found it became somewhat unmanageable the further you get into it. 

Cassie_b #46 Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 2880 battles

View PostTh3Grimmi, on 03 January 2018 - 08:05 PM, said:

Otherwise on the PSP "Ace Combat" .................

A BIG 'thumbs up' to this!

Got an old PSP and the only things I ever seem to play on it are the 'Ace Combat' series, and occasionally the (albeit cut-down) PSP version of Gran Turismo 4

salv_rising #47 Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:00 PM

Private

• Player
  • 26032 battles
Age of Empires 2; World Cup 98; H&D 1 deluxe; cadillac & dinosaurs

Edited by salv_rising, 06 January 2018 - 03:08 PM.

etody77 #48 Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 57330 battles
  • [PT-RO] PT-RO

Diablo I + Hellfire, Diablo 2

Warcraft, warcraft II, age of empires 1+2, 

Dune

Panzer General 1+2, people general

Played a littke Panzer general §  but not to long

Starcraft

Lord of the realms 2, I still play this one because has no problem with windows 10

Transport tycoon, and deluxe, microsoft version

Erwin_Von_Braun #49 Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:47 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35577 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTsundereWaffle, on 27 December 2017 - 11:39 PM, said:

Pfff, the amount of things I played back on the Gamecube and N64...

But nothing comes close to Goldeneye &/or Perfect Dark right?

TsundereWaffle #50 Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:02 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25479 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 06 January 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

Boi, Nightfire

Erwin_Von_Braun #51 Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:32 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35577 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTsundereWaffle, on 06 January 2018 - 10:02 PM, said:

Boi, Nightfire

oohhhhhhhh, we shall agree to respectfully disagree on that one my friend:)

Balc0ra #52 Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:22 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 61987 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostSuedKAT, on 05 January 2018 - 05:25 PM, said:

Regarding emulation, I got a laptop connected via HDMI to the TV and just run emulators on that. Most of the emulators work best with an Xbox controller, but I use x360ce to emulate one and instead use my old Saitek controllers and an old Joystick. Works wonders up until the first Xbox, then that specific laptop can't handle it that well.

I need to get my mini atx fixed again so I can use it on my TV. Dosbox have a good setup for Xbox one controllers etc, so you can use them on any dos game. So it's a simple setup.

View PostCassie_b, on 06 January 2018 - 12:52 PM, said:

A BIG 'thumbs up' to this!

Got an old PSP and the only things I ever seem to play on it are the 'Ace Combat' series, and occasionally the (albeit cut-down) PSP version of Gran Turismo 4

Never was a big fan of Ace combat on the PSP vs on consoles. Ace Combat Zero on PS2 is still the long time fav.

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 06 January 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

I still have my copies of those games on 64. But sadly it's a game Rare don't own the license to. So it's never inc in any retro pack they make. It's one of two games excluded from the Rare collection package on Xbox one. As perfect dark runs great there, and takes some getting used to with 60 fps on the old engine vs N64. Tho the Goldeneye remake with from 2010 with Daniel Craig for last gen consoles was... odd.

View PostTsundereWaffle, on 06 January 2018 - 11:02 PM, said:

Boi, Nightfire

Loved the theme song for that. Not played it in a few years. But always had a thing for Rogue Agent on PS2. As it was more a run and gun game more then anything. Dual mount P90's and just go nuts.

Cassie_b #53 Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:43 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 2880 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 07 January 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

Never was a big fan of Ace combat on the PSP vs on consoles. Ace Combat Zero on PS2 is still the long time fav.

Yes, it was the PS2 versions that got me into playing Ace Combat - I was very young when we got a PS2 in our house, and by the time I had the machine to myself it was getting on a bit.

Sadly it 'died' a few years ago, so I moved on to the PSP versions - Still got lots of old PS2 games tucked away though.... must get round to acquiring a working machine from somewhere.

Balc0ra #54 Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 61987 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostCassie_b, on 07 January 2018 - 11:43 AM, said:

Yes, it was the PS2 versions that got me into playing Ace Combat - I was very young when we got a PS2 in our house, and by the time I had the machine to myself it was getting on a bit.

Sadly it 'died' a few years ago, so I moved on to the PSP versions - Still got lots of old PS2 games tucked away though.... must get round to acquiring a working machine from somewhere.

I have over 200 PS2 games, so I need at least one PS2 working :P. So I have 3 PS2's. Inc a 1st gen brick with the network card that has the IDE HHD slots to run games from a drive to a pink PS2 slim I bought in box for €1 at my local store not 5 months ago :P. Tho of late it's mostly just SNK games that get's played on the grey slim I have set up.

UrQuan #55 Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:33 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 18911 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Played plenty of old & fun games in my youth, but there's a few I still play today, for various reasons (mainly, nothing better came up or offering a unique feature):

Outpost: space colonisation game; old but gold & I still play it. There's been other games with the concept, but none with so many options & depth. A modern but casual variant in comparision would be Planetbase, which I enjoyed as an 'Outpost Light'

Transport Tycoon deluxe: Awesome game, still play it. Trains & cars, & planes & boats & all trying to transport goods & people as efficiently as possible over a giant map as time goes by & new technologies develop (from steam train to monorail/maglev) & towns advance from old to new.

Alpha Centauri: because it offers a rare breed of evil play I enjoy: Build & expand your meager start town into a worldpower by focusing on science & happiness. Become an Utopia, created by science where everyone is happy by all the good stuff you provided.

Then: Let the nerve stapling begin! The high morale created by catering to your people assures no revolts will happen & people love you till the nerve stapling is complete. Once done, proceed with science, without limits nor ethics. Productivity levels now go through the roof: a highly advanced & highly productive society is now created: world domination is a go!

How it all ends? Imagine Portal's Aperture Science Laboratory on a global scale with GLaDOS in control. Or the Borg *We only wish to improve the quality of life for all species, why do you resist?*

Because very few games offer this path, I usually end up with an Utopian state where everyone is happy thanks to the spoils of science (and nukes in the middle-ages, Ghandi has nothing on me!)

Sim City 4: still the best city build simulator out there, despite its age. Still has an active community even, allowing you to get new fancy buildings for your cities, keeping the game fresh & never dull.

Enemy Nations: old RTS game with a unique feature: randomly generated maps that adapt to the number of opponents selected (more opponents: larger map: selecting map size is an option but it means how much 'area' each faction is allocated. max number of opponents is tied to processing capacity.

Resulting in this: on release 8 opponents on a huge map was the limit, pretty standard. Now: 4096 opponents. It does get crazy at times (but lucky due to the procedural generation of the map, only 8 surround you at max & they do fight among each other as well)

Still play it because it also features exhaustible resources, forcing you to continually expand. Also tech-tree & basic civilian needs.

MAX Commander: old TBS: love how you can progress here: either you advance your troops by research: adding a % each time a breakthrough is made, or buy upgrades with gold: adding a solid number. The skill is in combining the two in an efficient manner. Allows for some crazy strong units when employed well.

And others, but above are the old ones I replay most frequently. 

Edited by UrQuan, 07 January 2018 - 01:34 PM.

Evilier_than_Skeletor #56 Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16320 battles
  • [TSOP] TSOP

Always liked the Total War series. Empire or Rome 2 the most, though all games always end up unfinished. Just like in Civilizations at some point it's clear you're going to win. It's also clear that it will take forever to finish... From the real oldies Monkey Islands, Day of the Tentacle, Master of Orion 1 & 2, UFO and Syndicate bring back memories. Oh and ofcourse the first two Fallouts.

By the way, do they make adventure games like Monkey Island anymore? Something lighter than role playing games.

jabster #57 Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12510 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostEvilier_than_Skeletor, on 07 January 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

Always liked the Total War series. Empire or Rome 2 the most, though all games always end up unfinished. Just like in Civilizations at some point it's clear you're going to win. It's also clear that it will take forever to finish... From the real oldies Monkey Islands, Day of the Tentacle, Master of Orion 1 & 2, UFO and Syndicate bring back memories. Oh and ofcourse the first two Fallouts.

By the way, do they make adventure games like Monkey Island anymore? Something lighter than role playing games.

I have Fallout 2 but for some reason I’ve never, so far, got into it. Planescape: Torment on the other hand, now that’s a game to play even if it has a rather weak ending.

Evilier_than_Skeletor #58 Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16320 battles
  • [TSOP] TSOP

View Postjabster, on 07 January 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

I have Fallout 2 but for some reason I’ve never, so far, got into it. Planescape: Torment on the other hand, now that’s a game to play even if it has a rather weak ending.

Unless I've forgotten all about Fallout 2, mid-game is where it gets interesting. When you get to New Reno (or whatever the mobster city is called) and the missions from rivaling families start dropping in. Thanks for the tip, somehow I've missed the original Planescape and the enhanced edition altogether. I'll check it out.

SuedKAT #59 Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:03 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostUrQuan, on 07 January 2018 - 01:33 PM, said:

Transport Tycoon deluxe: Awesome game, still play it. Trains & cars, & planes & boats & all trying to transport goods & people as efficiently as possible over a giant map as time goes by & new technologies develop (from steam train to monorail/maglev) & towns advance from old to new.

Have you tried OpenTTD, it's an "open source simulation game based upon Transport Tycoon Deluxe", it comes with a lot of improvements and new ways of customizing the game compared to the original, you also have a ton of mods, so you can add tons of new real trains, boats, planes, trucks and even change the landscape, buildings and a lot more. I play it a lot and it's one of those go to games I always have installed :)

Balc0ra #60 Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:48 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 61987 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostSuedKAT, on 07 January 2018 - 06:03 PM, said:

Have you tried OpenTTD, it's an "open source simulation game based upon Transport Tycoon Deluxe", it comes with a lot of improvements and new ways of customizing the game compared to the original, you also have a ton of mods, so you can add tons of new real trains, boats, planes, trucks and even change the landscape, buildings and a lot more. I play it a lot and it's one of those go to games I always have installed :)

There are many open source games worth testing. OpenTTD had an update just before Xmas. So really worth checking out, and has a Linux or Mac version even. Issue is that the game is open source. The music is not sadly, but still easy to add. Same with OpenRA, that is the open source for Red Alert 1, C&C and Dune 2000 all in one. So you can play the games in 4K if you want, and it's 100% free and legal. Sadly music is not open source there neither. But if you have the original disk, you can still add the music etc. And Red Alert 1 ISO's is free on on the EA website, so you can download it for free there to get it. Or from any torrent site tbh 100% legal. As it's open source now. I still head to OpenRA rather often to play online. As it's still fun as all heck.

Edited by Balc0ra, 08 January 2018 - 08:49 AM.

Also tagged with old, but, gold, also, moms spaghetti

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users