Mauerbrecher (aka “nutcracker”) first impressions

mauerbrecher super heavy

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Hechaton #1 Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:48 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 44628 battles

This is not an «scientific” review, rather a personal assessment of the tank after 200 matches. It will not focus on “hard stats” or comparisons but a subjective opinion of the tank. Please see this in light of me being an average player.  I don’t play premiums to train crews but to earn credits and have fun.

Firstly, thank you WG for not going ham with the paintjob. The subtle monochrome paintjob looks great.

Firepower

Terrible – Bad – decent -good - excellent

The penetration and the alpha will hold up against tier VIII and lower. The penetration on the premium shell however, won’t be enough to do any kind of meaningful damage to a hull down tank at tier IX and X. You can’t even reliably penetrate the lower glacis of a mouse -even facing you directly and with premium rounds. The lack of capability to reliably damage weak spots of higher tier vehicles is kind of crucial in the game if the tank should have some meaningful place in the game.

Forget taking snapshots (too great dispersion), and as usual, forget sniping at long range. The most of the time it will end up in tier IX and X matches.

The gun accuracy isn’t the greatest but faster to aim than many other premium tanks.

Bad traverse speeds both turret and tracks makes it very easy for fast tank to outmaneuver this tank.

Survivability

Terrible

This tank has some armour, and on paper it appears better than VK 100.01 P (thicker). But in the reality it’s way worse. To face the fact, the whole tank is a huge weak spot, making only the gun mantlet somewhat reliable. But even this can’t stop a shell from high calibre td at same tier. The armour profile shows a great weak spot on the commandor’s hatch on top of the turret, the turret cheeks and the lower plate. To make matter worse, there’s a significant weak spot on the hull upper plate, in the machinegun port. On one occasion I was nearly taken by a tier VI heavy when facehugging -from full health. Getting hull down and angling will help negate some of the weak spots, but taking in consideration the low manoeuvrability , it can’t wriggle itself out of shots.

All enemies you’ll face will be able to penetrate the back and the sides reliably. When facing tier IX and tier X it will almost always lose regardless class or situation. Yes, it doesn’t matter much being hull down. The single weak point that stands out is the front of the turret including cheeks. You can’t hide it when shooting the enemy.

When angled correctly it will hold well against tier VI and VII, decent at long range against tier VIII, and more or less useless against tier IX and X.

Mobility

Terrible

It can go forwards at 20 km/h, making it the slowest off all tier VIII premiums. To put it in perspective, the new tier VIII light T92 has a reverse speed of 25 km/h. The speed matches that of VK 100.01 P, but it doesn’t make it any better. This slow speed makes it one of the last tanks to arrive at the front and very vulnerable to be caught out on the open. Even your grandma in wheelchair is faster than this thing. Terrible mobility in combination of terrible armour isn’t exactly recipe for a good tank. This tank gets isolated a lot, and is a magnet for arty shells.

Concealment

Terrible

Yes it’s a tall heavy. Don’t expect to be sneaky.

Spotting

Excellent

This tank has luckily a base view range of 400m.  

Playstyle

This is a heavy- and a super heavy. The most effective way is to hide behind hard cover and sidescrape out to shoot. Forget going hull down or sneak around.

It plays very similar to a Mouse- tank, and a E100, having a weakspot in front of the turret. I usually try to angle the turret to approx. 30 deg. when loading to negate this weakspot. It might work on tier VIII but hasn’t much effect on tier X. And they will pen the front turret reliably too. The only thing you can rely on is the hitpoints. This tank is a three-shot for tier IX, and a two-shot for tier X TDs.

The slow speed makes this tank a pain to play on open maps. It’s just too slow to get where it needs to be in time. On some rare occasion the whole flank has fallen by the time this tank has got there…and some even rarer occasions the whole team, leaving you the last tank alive. The lacking ability to relocate within reasonable timeframe will also prevent you from doing damage (Read: win game & earn money).

An interesting aspect with this tank is that it relies super heavily on teammates. Having incompetent teammates who dies early means you get spotted and circled -and game over. You have no chance of “slipping away” and do ambush shots as with faster tanks. Being the “last tank standing” it’s most probably going to result in a loss for your team. This tank is the one most likely to lose in a one-to-one skirmish/duel against tanks with:

• Higher dpm
  • Higher alpha
  • Better mobility (speed and agility)
  • Better camo value
  • Better armour/ fewer weak spots.

Most of the enemy tanks will have a combination of two or more of the above features.

Fun factor

This tank doesn’t shine in any areas, and has no good characteristic feature that stands out. The only characteristic I can come up with is being peppered with weakspots. I can’t think of any other heavy tank with four prominent weakspots in the front of the tank. And this is what lets this tank down. The low mobility worsen the case. Making a huge travel time to get to the front and then get destroyed, due to bad armour, isn’t much fun. It just doesn’t make it worthwhile to get there. This tank isn’t capable of holding key points, and far less able to break lines. It has wrongfully been named the “wallbreaker” -in my opinion it should be renamed to the “nutcracker”.

Is it worth the money?

This is the second worst premium tier VIII tank I’ve played after the 59 Patton, and one of the least enjoyable tanks to play so far. Buy old newspapers, broken toothpicks or rotten tomatoes, -any will be more priceworthy and fun than this tank.  This is a type of tank that probably will discourage new player from buying more premiums.

Note: If you are good in this tank, -then you’ll be a GOD when playing the Mouse.

Search_Warrant #2 Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 26690 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

What paper you look at when comparing it to VKP? you said "on paper it looks better armored than VKP". but tanksGG says its straight worse in every aspect and then some more...

T-34-3 has better turret armor, same 150mm cupolas that are tiny, better side armor at 80mm (FailBreaker has 60mm behind the tracks), its a failure of a tank. it needs seriouse buffing or just simply rebalance it as a whole. as it stands its worse than Lowe.

Edit: or give people back there money, as this tank is not as described on the sales page.

i repeat:

"This particular vehicle is very similar to the famous super-heavy Maus. It brings enough armour to be able to both crush the enemy's defences, or establish one for your team by becoming a tough obstacle to overcome. With its high damage per shot you can punish any enemy that dares challenge you."

1. Similar to a Maus? in what way? armor? because thats a barefaced lie. the guns nothing good ether. maybe the weight of the tank is similar but thats it.

2. "brings enough armor to crush enemies defences"? dont make me laugh WG. this doesent bring enough armor to stop a 145pen AMX 12t from shooting my side angled at 30 degree's. another lie.

3. Again, "becoming a tough obstacle to overcome" they shoot my upper plate or right threw my face. sometimes without gold and autopen me while im scratching my head wondering where the enemy MAUS weak spot is that im supposed to shoot. this thing is tough obstical to overcome.... as a roadblock when its dead and parked sideways in a hallway in himmelsdorf maybe.

4. Nice alpha with derpy gun that punishes tier 8 tanks maybe. then you meet something like a russian medium hulldown and you can kiss 100% of your HP goodbye as you cant pen him and he HEATS your face threw, why dont you try go another flank? oh wait.you go 20KMH and about as flexible as a frozen jello.

Edited by Search_Warrant, 28 December 2017 - 04:10 PM.

ZlatanArKung #3 Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:04 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles
Looks like WG did a rather good job with it then.

Search_Warrant #4 Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:12 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 26690 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostZlatanArKung, on 28 December 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

Looks like WG did a rather good job with it then.

By making a tank worthless? sounds like a legit argument. lets make all tanks 100% unplayable garbage, by your logic. thats how they should ALL be.

Edited by Search_Warrant, 28 December 2017 - 05:42 PM.

SirTogII #5 Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46745 battles
  • [REQT] REQT
I’ve toyed with the idea to buy the VK100-OP for shiz and gigz but decided against since I can’t be bothered with a slow tier 8 (65t was enough). When I saw this one was as slow as VK and without usable armour it was a no brainer. Collector or not, there’s a limit to what shite I spend money on. This one passed it...

ZlatanArKung #6 Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:29 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 28 December 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

By making a tank worthless? sounds like a legit argument. lets make all tanks 100% unplayable garbage, by your laogic. thats how they should ALL be.

Thru made a non-OP T8 premium tank.

Even a tank that is Worse then tech tree counterpart.

Which is extremely good.

Then it can be buffed, ufp and turret front a bit, and some slight side armour.  And then it is done. 

This tank is a FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR better release then Chrysler, Patriot, Defender or even Liberte. 

Search_Warrant #7 Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:35 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 26690 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostZlatanArKung, on 28 December 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

Which is extremely good.

Then it can be buffed, ufp and turret front a bit, and some slight side armour.  And then it is done. 

This tank is a FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR better release then Chrysler, Patriot, Defender or even Liberte. 

Shame this tank has to face them on a daily basis and so it has to compete with them. only way is to make it as good at them. welcome to the stupid cycle WG dug themself into.

Hechaton #8 Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 44628 battles
I would say this tank is slightly underpowered -I dubt WG will get rich selling this tank. 

Timber_Wulf #9 Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 26834 battles
So far i wierdly like the tank a lot. I do okay in it...though im at work and maybe my wr is 20% i cant remeber. 

Browarszky #10 Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 15999 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
I seem to notice one word cropping up often, 'terrible'....

Balc0ra #11 Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64400 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostZlatanArKung, on 28 December 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

Which is extremely good.

Don't mind that it's not OP, or has frontal weakspots. But it don't have much to compensate for it. As other old premiums have. This is just worse across the board. A mobility buff would not be the worst idea. As the few I've seen can't even out turn a Lowe with a dead driver.

Thejagdpanther #12 Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:53 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34087 battles
  • [TKBS] TKBS

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 28 December 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

Shame this tank has to face them on a daily basis and so it has to compete with them. only way is to make it as good at them. welcome to the stupid cycle WG dug themself into.

pretty much this

ZlatanArKung #13 Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:38 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 28 December 2017 - 04:45 PM, said:

Don't mind that it's not OP, or has frontal weakspots. But it don't have much to compensate for it. As other old premiums have. This is just worse across the board. A mobility buff would not be the worst idea. As the few I've seen can't even out turn a Lowe with a dead driver.

If I was head of balance. I would make it a durable tank first and foremost.

UFP to 300mm effective

Turret front to 300mm effective

LFP to 160 effective

Side armour to 100-110mm.

Jeep weakspots as is.

Maybe give it 1800 or 1900 hp aswell.

Then it would be an assault tank, a mauerbrecher.

The lack of dpm is necessary to not make it op. Just as lack of traverse speed.

Only mobility buff I would consider is a faster speed in a straight line.

Search_Warrant #14 Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 26690 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostZlatanArKung, on 28 December 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

If I was head of balance. I would make it a durable tank first and foremost.

UFP to 300mm effective

Turret front to 300mm effective

LFP to 160 effective

Side armour to 100-110mm.

Jeep weakspots as is.

Maybe give it 1800 or 1900 hp aswell.

Then it would be an assault tank, a mauerbrecher.

The lack of dpm is necessary to not make it op. Just as lack of traverse speed.

Only mobility buff I would consider is a faster speed in a straight line.

300 raw thickness UFP more like.. this tank is massive. the LFP is already too weak. you cant even angle it to bounce anything, cover that up? who cares hit the whole turret face including the "mantle" punch right threw it. side armor should be 130mm below the tracks just like the top part, if im keeping a massive 150mm cupola and a MG port i damwell want some armor SOMEWHERE. buff the MG port and cupola 180mm. all angles its still autopen to medium tanks at tier 8 since all meds have 190+ pen now.

Its a good few tons more than VKP yet worse armored all around.. also buff the roof to same as VKP so arty dont crap all over it. people dont understand just how crippling 20kmh top speed is.. its so horrible they buffed T28 proto and T28 to 28KMH to let them get to the battle on time "WG said that"  but tis fine for heavies who need to go front line to go 20kmh? wtf?

Edited by Search_Warrant, 28 December 2017 - 05:50 PM.

leggasiini #15 Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12394 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

I would personally just buff the armor behind tracks to 100 (and then slightly nerf the spaced armor on lower side), mantlet so that it has armor behind it (so people actually aim and dont go for center mass of the mantlet), and then HP to 1800 or 1850. It still has 3 weakspots after that. I am actually perfectly fine with the cupola being the way it is now, same with LFP, and the MG port doesnt bother me much either, but the armor behind drivewheel is just dumb. Hell, you could buff the armor solely behind drivewheel and then leave rest of lower side armor the way it is.

I don't think the tank is that bad, just has slightly too many weakspots and since the size and bloatiness, HP could be a bit higher.

Mobility and gun are completely fine IMO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users