• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

NoPoet406 #1 Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2441 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

THE CRUSADER DIARIES

Greetings fellow tankers! I am convinced beyond all mortal reason that the Crusader is the best and the worst tank in the entire game, at least from my fairly restricted experience.

THE GOOD

+ Fun to drive, if you've never driven the Covenanter and Cruiser MkIV which come before it. And you have driven them.

+ Best-looking tank in the game.

+ Extremely characterful.

+ Makes a fairly decent spotter (if there are no light tanks on your team).

+ Crew can now train in Matilda Black Prince or FV4202 P.

THE BAD

- Virtually guaranteed to lose you the game.

- Dies like "a word I can't say on this forum" - typically two-shotted, but one-shotting is possible.

- Identity crisis: confused over its status as a light or a medium and ends up playing like neither.

- Severely nerfed when upgraded to medium as it loses the "camo on the move" bonus.

- Too slow compared to other flankers/spotters; mobility is a backwards step from Covenanter. 5% fuel consumable does not help.

- Primary gun feels like a huge backwards step from Covenanter's auto-loader.

- Howitzer is almost totally pointless. (Console players MUST use this, as they have those stupid "upgrade packages" which frequently make tanks worse in some way.)

- The premium mediums used to train Crusader crew play totally differently to the Crusader.

Well, against all reason, I have decided to say "sod it, sod my WN8, sod popular opinion, sod my own opinion - I'm going to play this tank and I'm going to LIKE it". So I've been doing the Stug IV campaign missions in it. Now I must admit, most of the time I have had to stop playing the Crusader and revert to the tier 4 Soviet T-28 in order to actually succeed. But the other day, the Fairy Queen of Fortune descended from the stars and blessed my face by sitting on it, and I fully completed two MT Campaign missions in the Crusader in a row. So it CAN be done.

If anyone has any advice or input for a pitiful fool who actually intends to do the MT Campaign in a Crusader, now's the time to speak up. Is this really the worst tank in the whole universe, or am I just playing like a prat?

MY STATS WHEN COMMENCING THIS MAD QUEST

NoPoet406 Service Record Score: 2391

NoPoet406 WN8: 498.96

Crusader XVM XTE Score: 24 (better than 36%)

Crusader Max Kills: 2

Crusader Average Damage: 211

Crusader Average XP: 260

Current Campaign Mission: Stug IV, MT7: Damage an enemy SPG // Survive.

In the words of Tiff Needell from TOCA 2, "Let's see what happened."

Edited by NoPoet406, 28 December 2017 - 06:55 PM.

Desyatnik_Pansy #2 Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:08 PM

Bartender

• Player
  • 16749 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

The biggest problem with the Crusader is the T-34/Type T-34 Exist. Aside from probably being harder to spot than either of the two, there's nothing I would say the Crusader has that the T-34 Doesn't do better.

Well, except the looks. So long as you slap some skirts on the lady.

SuedKAT #3 Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:28 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Well it's far from the worst tank in the whole universe, you got the M5 Stuart and stuff like the IKV 103 for that, however it's not superb either. When I played it, it wasn't an MT but an LT, no idea what's change if any with the tank it self, but back then I got the best result if I played it as a second line support tank.  

Pvt_Duffer #4 Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:33 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 16667 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Statpadders dream: Crusader OP confirmed.

Crusader      80  60.00%

NoPoet406 #5 Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2441 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

Right, I agree that it is not the worst tank in the game. It does have a few drawbacks. If I understood the tank better and had a better grasp of where to be in a game, then it would probably perform a bit better. And I'm miles too aggressive, which when combined with bad positioning, a puny gun and worthless armour, is enough to ruin anyone's day.

I just had five battles. On one of them I was not only top tier, I was top tank, and I've included a screenshot for proof. Yes, it is that rare these days. I believe all the others were tier 7 games.

1. El Halluf ,303 damage, 0 kills, 3rd class, WIN (died), 10th on team. For some reason I went into the centre and was derped by an M4.

2. Erlenberg, 157 damage, 0 kills, 3rd class, WIN (died), 10th on team. I bounced a shot off an Achilles. However in this game I "lurked" - the enemy knew I was there and couldn't get to me, which distracted them until arty got me.

3. Malinovka, 141 damage, 0 kills, LOSS (died), 5th on team. RNG was ridiculous - when stationary I missed between half a dozen and ten critically important shots, albeit at long range. Depred by a Sherman III which I bounced two shots off and damaged once. The Sherman is rapidly becoming this tank's nemesis.

4. Ruinberg, 71 damage, 0 kills, LOSS (died), 14th on team. Some absolutely wretched shooting from me here, and I was miles too far forward holding a corridor on my own against a Type T34 and Hellcat, while under attack from an O-I which I damaged once. An enemy Crusader struggled horribly to even hit one of our arties from close range (both tanks were moving) - many of my other British tanks would have hit it in these conditions.

3. Redshire, 422 damage, 3 kills, 2nd class, WIN (survived), 6th on team. This is more like it - played very cautiously then struck like a cobra. Finished in tremendous style by roaring over a hilltop, straight past an enemy T67 and ramming an enemy arty at full speed, smashing it to pieces! Some of the glory was then lost when a friendly player coming the other way crashed into me. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! It certainly was a "surprise blow"!

New mission: Damage medium tanks 3 times // Inflict at least 300 damage to medium tanks. Should be doable as long as I play like a coward and attack distracted/immobilised enemies.

Edited by NoPoet406, 28 December 2017 - 08:03 PM.

gunslingerXXX #6 Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11377 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

View PostNoPoet406, on 28 December 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

But the other day, the Fairy Queen of Fortune descended from the stars and blessed my face by sitting on it

LOL :teethhappy:

Or should I say: "replay or it didn't happen" :P

SuedKAT #7 Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:12 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNoPoet406, on 28 December 2017 - 07:59 PM, said:

The Sherman is rapidly becoming this tank's nemesis.

There are a lot of 105mm derps on MT's at tier 5, not to mention KV-1/KV-1S as well as other semi stock tanks that might use it since they have it as an option. The Crusader don't really take a hit from those that well, so avoid at all costs getting hit by something with a derp. 

Regarding what to do in it, second line support, a quick couple of example, pop up, take a couple of shoots but as soon as something seems to focus you pop back down. You see someone fire at someone, they are reloading, get some shoots in while they reload. Try to keep your distance to enemies, you don't want to brawl, try to utilize unprotected angles as much as possible.

And finally have a look at the tank, what it can do quite well and what it can't, always keep that in mind when you play it and utilize that, try to put yourself in positions and situations that benefit your tank as much as possible.

Balc0ra #8 Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67337 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostNoPoet406, on 28 December 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

- Virtually guaranteed to lose you the game.

Idk about you, but I find this to be a capable tank still. It lost camo on the move and some mobility when they made it into a med, but it's still a great bully tank.

It's the only medium that has gotten me a top gun in less then 1 min and 40 seconds "I fired 31 shots in that time". And it's one of the more fun 3 MOE grinds I've had. I don't have any high damage games in the 200 games I've had in it like some of my tier 5's. As I've only gotten past 2K a few times. But I play mine like a light/med hybrid still. Farming assist as well as damage depending on map. I play mine fairly aggressive, even in tier 7 games. It's kinda like the old M7 when it was a med if you use the 6 pdr. With a bit more dpm.

Edited by Balc0ra, 28 December 2017 - 09:57 PM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #9 Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:50 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 7832 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Block Quote

THE GOOD

+ Best-looking tank in the game.

Oh hell no.

The Type 5 Chi-Ri is the best-looking tank in the game.

Followed by the Type 2604 Heavy (O-Ro).

Oh, and in case oneone is wondering about those Schürzen that Pansy has postedl they're from the Girls und Panzer model that comes with the official Girls und Panzer mod.

Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 28 December 2017 - 10:50 PM.

Desyatnik_Pansy #10 Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:52 PM

Bartender

• Player
  • 16749 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 28 December 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

Oh, and in case oneone is wondering about those Schürzen that Pansy has postedl they're from the Girls und Panzer model that comes with the official Girls und Panzer mod.

Actually, those ones are not. The GuP Ones are much lower quality, especially texture-wise. I had Milkym4n completely redo them for me since I've wanted Crusader sideskirts for awhile but the GuP Ones were simply too bad to work with.

Edited by Desyatnik_Pansy, 28 December 2017 - 10:53 PM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #11 Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:54 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 7832 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 28 December 2017 - 09:52 PM, said:

Actually, those ones are not. The GuP Ones are much lower quality, especially texture-wise. I had Milkym4n completely redo them for me since I've wanted Crusader sideskirts for awhile but the GuP Ones were simply too bad to work with.

I stand correted. Didn't know you had milky do so.

So that means its up on his site then?

Desyatnik_Pansy #12 Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:55 PM

Bartender

• Player
  • 16749 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 28 December 2017 - 09:54 PM, said:

I stand correted. Didn't know you had milky do so.

So that means its up on his site then?

No, it's on my thread. I asked him to do it but he let me upload it so long as I credited him since he didn't plan on uploading it himself (probably because it's such a small thing compared to obviously what he mainly uploads).

PowJay #13 Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:05 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36046 battles

I haven't played the Crusader enough as a medium tank to have an opinion on it now, but as many always considered it to be a med, then I guess that the only different thing is lowered camo on the move.

I have three-marked it- the only vehicle to be honoured in this way so far- and these are my stats.

It is a good go-to tank when I am fed up. I just had an Epic medal with three kills for 138 HP damage. LOL.

6pdr/57mm all the way. I used to use a rammer, but aim time is too long. With EGLD and vents, you get a more consistent aim to reload time and more effective fire.

Edited by PowJay, 28 December 2017 - 11:06 PM.

arthurwellsley #14 Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:16 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 52122 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

paging brumbarr, _yung and the other champions of three MOE NoPoet406 has set you a challenge.

Please three MOE the Crusader it the least amount of games.

@NoPoet406;

(a) get rid of the camo net and binos and put on optics and vents,

(b) change the small repair kit to the middle slot so that the key to control it is 5. Then if you get tracked you can press 5 twice in quick succession which will repair you tracks and hopefully allow you to survive better.

NoPoet406 #15 Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2441 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

Hi everyone. I have listened to all feedback. It is looking like the Crusader is a fairly capable tank, but I am simply lacking in most of the skills required. These skills are patience, stealth and map knowledge. I would also say that the Crusader, by all accounts, is extremely demanding and will punish you for lacking any of the said skills. As such, it should be looked at with wary respect as it most likely won't be an easy ride - it wouldn't be most people's first choice as a statpadder. I am used to driving slow, exceptionally tough tanks with high accuracy, and the Crusader has none of these qualities.

I've just had 8 battles, 7 of which were platooned, and won 2 of them, with only two kills total. The Crusader is probably the tank that's taught me the most about myself as a player. I am quite simply not badass enough for it, enough of the time. I'll keep coming back to it but for now I'm switching to something that will rescue my plummeting stats. They're bad enough without all this!

EDIT: @ArthurWellsley, your reply was posted while I was still typing mine. I'll wait til the next half price equipment sale and do that. The binocs have been useless.

Edited by NoPoet406, 28 December 2017 - 11:25 PM.

Balc0ra #16 Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:31 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67337 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostNoPoet406, on 28 December 2017 - 11:23 PM, said:

Hi everyone. I have listened to all feedback. It is looking like the Crusader is a fairly capable tank, but I am simply lacking in most of the skills required. These skills are patience, stealth and map knowledge. I would also say that the Crusader, by all accounts, is extremely demanding and will punish you for lacking any of the said skills.

Well that's true. It will punish you badly for mistakes, and can be a bit crew dependent if you lack crew skills. But reward you equally well at the same time once you do find a bully window etc.

Just play it like a support med early on. Once you know what is where on the enemy team. Find your med or agile lights. And help them bully down isolated targets or smaller groups. If no such option is presented. Then play the intel card. Get some spotting assist if you can until such an opening appears. You don't need mad maps awareness skills to pull that off. Just keep an eye out for open flanks and fellow wolf packs on lone targets and move to "help". Flank and bully anything that's not aiming at you. Don't go with the pack, but go a bit wider or behind a ridge line etc so you don't pull all the aggro instantly.

Edited by Balc0ra, 28 December 2017 - 11:32 PM.

NoPoet406 #17 Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2441 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

Thanks, I'll try that. But my bad luck has persisted outside the battles.

I JUST DESTROYED A TIER 5 DECORATION BY MISTAKE.

P33K #18 Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:42 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 22123 battles
Just bought the Crusader earlier today and it feels pretty solid after 3-game test drive. I'd say it might require more from crew (and equipment) than some other tier 5 tanks though, you should at have at least full camo and 6th sense since it can't really take much hits or run fast enough. Firepower seems quite nice and even stock gun was usable.

Edited by P33K, 28 December 2017 - 11:42 PM.

Balc0ra #19 Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67337 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostNoPoet406, on 28 December 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

Thanks, I'll try that. But my bad luck has persisted outside the battles.

Others might have different ideas on how to play it or approach it. But that's the kind of play that works on mid tier lights and meds for me. Then again, you have not showed any replays of your average game in it. It might help others to give you better pointers.

Desyatnik_Pansy #20 Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:44 PM

Bartender

• Player
  • 16749 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View Postarthurwellsley, on 28 December 2017 - 10:16 PM, said:

paging brumbarr, _yung and the other champions of three MOE NoPoet406 has set you a challenge.

Please three MOE the Crusader it the least amount of games.

It's not that hard to 3 Mark, especially since it's at Tier V. I want to say I had like 30-40 Games in it and the 1st Mark when I bought it back a bit ago because of the sideskirts stuff above and I 3-Marked it like 15-20 Games later. Especially with a decent crew at that tier you can just farm tons of spotting since most players probably don't have great crews.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users