• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:12 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24364 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS
Hi guys,

Two weeks ago I decided it was time to set out on my first voyage into the world of clickers. So I have a story to share, one I feel many will relate too perhaps and also can add their own arty experiences and opinions on. No this is not an arty bashing thread but an unbiased feedback from a player who had never once played arty previously and as such, these are my findings and experiences of this class now that I have played this class for myself.

Why? Well I had been toying with the idea of dipping my toe in the world of arty for several reasons, all of which were exclusively relating to the Personal Missions. 

1. MISSION CREDITS. Get lots of credits and consumables for clicking a couple of times during a battle. Honestly, some of these StugIV missions were practically just to click battle and for honors, bash your head on the keyboard, that's all!!
2. ORDERS.  The most important reason, get lots of orders back that are tied into these arty missions which I and you too, would agree are much better served to unlock some of the 3rd and 4th sets of PM tanks, so never be stupid in life or gaming, always make it as easy as you can. As a general once said, if it’s a fair fight you’re doing it wrong.

The SPGS

1. Tier6 French AMX 13 F3 (Now have the tier7)
2. Tier6 U.S. M44 (Now have the tier7)

Both these tanks are an excellent combination and complement each other to both demolish arty missions thus far.

AMX 13 F3: is a mobile platform that can get around the map and is tailored for missions that require stunning multiple targets simultaneously, missions that require long stun durations and missions that require teammates to cause large amounts of dmg while enemy is stunned. It has long stun periods and large stun radius while it is also a surprisingly capable TD. Flat trajectory can be a little limiting but that said, can also pick off a target through a window lol.

M44 is also reasonably mobile and is ideal for missions that require large numbers of dmg strikes, hits, kills and modular/crew dmg type missions. It has only a small stun radius and short amounts of stun but what it does have is a fast rate, huge gun arch and a respectable aim time so you are less effected by players that repair/heal and missed shots while it's very tall shell trajectory makes hitting targets taking cover possible. It also makes this somewhat boring class more involved by having close on 4 shots per minute. The tier5 was the unlocked version I first got but the aim time was so atrocious a free xp’d my way to the tier6 and was an excellent decision.

How did I find arty?

The good points.

1. It’s really easy play obviously
2. All the personal mission gains mentioned.
3. Stress free pretty much that can be a totally relaxed step back from other classes when you're eyes and mind are tired from having be so aware and constantly involved. You already know going into each battle that realistically it is not your fault in 99% of the battles if the team loses so I never actually got that annoyed win lose or draw.. was just a big fat scoop of meh either way
4. You get nice achievement badges when you complete all classes with honors which I actually really like tbh, it sort of proves that unlike the white badges that can be achieved with orders and bypassing PMs, the red badges with gold showcases that you indeed personally completed and achieved every single mission, every single class of tank, with honors and are a genuinely well rounded played, perhaps not great but definitely experienced and knowledgeable of all classes.
5. You learn a little something about this much hated class, where they go and places they typically can’t hit which is excellent knowledge when playing other classes and knowing these useful little spots where you can hide yet still engage enemy from forward and defensive positions, safe from death from above, so you start to become a more complete player across all maps and classes.
6. Pretty decent credit makers, no doubt about it. Not amazing but not bad… point being, while you are picking off these missions there is a nice little income building away so when you finally complete the missions, you can treat yourself to a top tier tank.
7. Hunting arty. It’s actually a bit “fun” on some maps when it’s 3 arty per team to scan the classic arty zones for tracers from enemy arty, aim for where that should have come from, fire, and see a dead enemy arty appear “Target Destroyed!!” lol
8. You get the rare mission camo, very cool and somewhat rare, there simply isn't any other way to get it.

The Bad Points

1. Totally team dependant.. sure arty are crucial to winning and losing many battles on open maps but tbh it’s just not the sort of tank that’s ever going to turn a battle that’s getting away from a team of noobs like you can with another class.
2. Boring. It’s ok for a while but gets boring as a 2-3 shot per minute would suggest. Having mission objectives was some sort of “entertainment” but other than that, if there were no mission requirements to do I don’t know how a player can sit down and play arty as their go-to class of tank… just nothing involving, so boring.
3. Frustrating. You just have to suffer a team of noobs worse than any other class, you can see teammates with excellent game winning tanks totally wasted and you just want to get hold of that tank and go win the battle but you can’t and your arty sucks by comparison.
4. Map dependant. Can argue this is the case for all classes and it’s true of course but I feel arty suffers more than any other class. Certain missions are simply undoable on 90-95% of the maps and that’s so frustrating when you can see this is another total waste of time.
5. Stat wrecking. If you like your WN8 and your kills and so on, this class is orange WN8 sort of stuff. Maybe I suck but with most city maps totally obscured from decent and reliable strikes, can get chains of battles where, like point 4, is really a totally pointless battle and of no use whatsoever all of which translates into bot like stats.
6. RNG. If you think a shot that finds the outside of the aiming circle is bad with a normal tank, it's REALLY annoying when that happens with a tank that only fires 2 rounds per minute. 
7. Some missions are totally luck and situational rather than any personal influence increasing the likelihood of success, Many times you will need teammates to shoot a target you stunned only for them to not do so time and time again which gets a bit annoying when you just want to wrap up the mission and this was a battle in which you delivered all you could and so the faith of the mission was in the hands of others.

So what did I get from it all?

1. I got stacks of credits from both playing arty and the rewards for missions
2. I now have 11 orders to spend so what that means is, if I complete just 2 of the T 55A missions with honours, I get the T 55A… how cool is that? I actually get the T 55A for just completing 2 sets with honours.
3. A better understanding of the scorn of this game and better knowledge on how to avoid them across most maps.
4. I now have pretty rare very nice camo for my German and U.S. tanks. You can’t buy this camo without doing all class missions so it’s the only way. Do you have this camo? Do you have these red and gold badges? Well if you don’t you’d better get clicking lol.
So if those 4 reasons don’t encourage you to try arty you are a better player than me, which isn’t hard to be honest, and you can get the last two PM tanks without the easily achieved arty orders, good for you.
5. Almost forgot, more female crew, never a bad thing.

What Surprised me most

I had many pre-conceptions of arty before I played them for myself and I was wrong about some things.

1. How many times in all those battles do you think I was team killed? How many arty hating, or irrational, or dimwit players killed me? not once, not once was I team killed... I couldn't believe it.
2. An arty can actually CARRY!! rare, not ultra rare and only when its 2vs1 or 3vs2 sort of battles but both me and another arty successfully carried as the lone survivors vs a KV2 and IS and 2 other arty lol! And there were more such cases. Has anyone ever won a Kolobanovs with an arty??
3. The overall respect, can you believe it? Yes, respect teammates have for the power and usefulness of their arty teammates during every battle where the map allowed arty influence. Not raged at, just asked to hit certain areas and focus on certain tanks and flanks. There was often surprisingly good team work between me as an arty and teammates to bring down and win battles, timed shots, both my shots and the team waiting for the target to get stunned before racing in behind and taking the stunned target out.
4. Just how many bad arty players their are. Shouldn't have been surprised really but so many that ignore fallen flanks or impending trouble with lots of time to spare. That said, ignoring minimaps isn't something restricted to this class!!
5. They have more flexibility around the map that I thought. At least that is to say, they more mobile arty I was using has. So many battles I see arty going to the same ol spots and tbh, I very regularly drove my arty right up to very influential areas of the map that would have been unusable if I stayed in the same ol dumb spots at the back. Didn't always work but very often it did to devastating effects. Fjords for example, starting east side I drove my arty up to the hill next to the lake where I got huge success dropping bombs on targets trying to attack the north loop around and heavy tanks trying to break the heavy line south, never saw anyone try that before and I have lots of other such cases, its a tracked vehicle, it CAN actually move which seems to escape many arty players after they move to the initial redline spot.

To sum it all up.

I got what I wanted from playing arty. I've learned a lot, completed the 2 PMs and so I'm done with them for now but who knows, I may call on their use again in the future when I get inspired to complete other sets of PM's but it's not a class for me tbh, I just find the gameplay dull and not involving enough so kudos to those that play them as their favorite tanks and not for missions as such. I also feel, as I would have before playing this class, that 3 per team is 1 too many, 2 per team, at most, is plenty and that extra arty is really detrimental to game play on certain maps as we have all experienced with great frustration, 3 per team creates a perma-stun situation.

Some screenshots of the gains.

11 orders

Spoiler
All done

Spoiler
The camo and badges

Spoiler

Edited by TungstenHitman, 31 December 2017 - 02:07 PM.

kiolvi #2 Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:56 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 53696 battles
  • [T-BAD] T-BAD

View PostTungstenHitman, on 30 December 2017 - 09:12 PM, said:

2. An arty can actually CARRY!! rare, not ultra rare and only when its 2vs1 or 3vs2 sort of battles but both me and another arty successfully carried as the lone survivors vs a KV2 and IS and 2 other arty lol! And there were more such cases. Has anyone ever won a Kolobanovs with an arty??

There is at least one. Quickybaby made a video of it about a year ago in halloween. The battle was  played about 2 years ago.  Link below:

Of course this was before stun mechanics. Killing is not that easy with arty any more.

Edited by kiolvi, 30 December 2017 - 11:12 PM.

TankkiPoju #3 Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:38 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21072 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
No.

How_hard_can_it_be #4 Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:41 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 40621 battles
I've been struggling with this idea for a LOOONG time. I don't want to play arty. Arty ruins this fun game. Arty is retardedly dependent on RNG. Arty is boring. You have little influence over the outcome of battles. And yet here I am torn apart by the question - do I sell myself to Satan just to get a crap**** of credits? Or maybe I save myself and other fellow gamers from this misery? What is more important ? Your own personal gains or sanity of your enemies? Though decision is about to be made.
I guess I go for money. See you all in the 9th ring of hell.

Junglist_ #5 Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37926 battles

Just FYI

http://forum.worldof...24-forum-rules/

TungstenHitman #6 Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:09 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24364 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS

View PostJunglist_, on 30 December 2017 - 10:44 PM, said:

Right... easily rectified, what really annoying color then, hmmm..... I'll take the opportunity to add a couple of good and bad points that spring to mind also

WindSplitter1 #7 Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:12 AM

Major

• Player
  • 16697 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

View PostTungstenHitman, on 30 December 2017 - 09:12 PM, said:

1. How many times in all those battles do you think I was team killed? How many arty hating, or irrational, or dimwit players killed me? not once, not once was I team killed... I couldn't believe it.

You have to be very rude in arty to people even point their guns to you.

I once jokingly said while on my M55:

Me - "Arties should be removed"

Unicorn - "Then go kill yourself"

Me - "Can't, there are water bodies here."

Unicorn - "Then arties should not be removed."

In another battle with the Tier V French arty, I approached the battle zone every time I could to get a better shot and to ease an advance on the guys that were on that sector, something the M44 does very perfectly. One of the guys said: "Good spirit, AMX."

In-game, people are like that. They ask you to counter battery, to attack a bunch of tanks etc.

In the forums, they whine and whine. That's why I never took any buzz seriously.

SPGs are a supporting class and in the battlefield doesn't matter how much you dislike it. If it's there, it's there for you and to be used.

TungstenHitman #8 Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:50 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24364 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS

View PostHow_hard_can_it_be, on 30 December 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

I've been struggling with this idea for a LOOONG time. I don't want to play arty. Arty ruins this fun game. Arty is retardedly dependent on RNG. Arty is boring. You have little influence over the outcome of battles. And yet here I am torn apart by the question - do I sell myself to Satan just to get a crap**** of credits? Or maybe I save myself and other fellow gamers from this misery? What is more important ? Your own personal gains or sanity of your enemies? Though decision is about to be made.
I guess I go for money. See you all in the 9th ring of hell.

It doesn't take that long tbh, you will complete the missions, be rotten with credits and orders, have a quick shower to wash the shame off(you can't though) and be back to normal before you know it. The thing about all this is, most agree arty is rotten(though on different levels and just what exactly etc) and ruins cohesive line of sight gameplay but that's a topic that's been murdered so no point beating that ol drum once again. Besides, WG know of these complaints obviously but not everyone does dislike arty, in fact, some really enjoy as is their prerogative and you might actually be surprised to know that most players have played arty, if only for the missions.

In the meantime, it's just another class and tbh, makes sense that it's included in the PM's since well, it's a set of missions designed to master all classes.  There are many that loath TDs for example, consider them not much better than arty and we can go on about the no skill OP derp heavies and even autoloaders that pop out from behind a corner and remove 90% of your hp in 8 seconds before running off to reload and so on and so forth but others can and did play those classes they didn't like so this is just another. I don't particularly like heavy tanks for example and find that TDs suck on 3 out of 4 battles along with light tanks to a lessor extent with so many corridor or small or city maps being most maps now so... ya, why not.

1. You cannot get unique camo without playing arty

2. You cannot get the red and gold achievement badges without playing arty.

3. You will get those 2 harder PM tanks much much faster and easier only by playing arty and getting those orders back for doing so.

4. You will get massive amounts of credits for relatively easy missions that you can do while sinking a few beers and chilling some evening.

So it's clear the personal missions are designed for all players to use arty, not just arty to be fair, all classes. You can apply much of those points to the other classes though the other classes have harder missions. That said, there are a few rather annoying and tricky arty missions that I actually didn't think possible for me to do and were too situational etc but now they're done and done quickly enough.

Edited by TungstenHitman, 31 December 2017 - 12:55 AM.

BravelyRanAway #9 Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:55 AM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 23044 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T
Ahhh....another gone to the dark side..........I hope you don't have sticky palms.

How_hard_can_it_be #10 Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:00 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 40621 battles

I dig you, dawg ;)
So I rebought M12 just an hour ago and I'm already halfway through SPG missions for stug IV
Also - what do you mean by :

Do you get some camos in the missions? I've skimmed through some spg missions and I don't see any.

Edited by How_hard_can_it_be, 31 December 2017 - 01:01 AM.

TungstenHitman #11 Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:07 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24364 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS

View PostHow_hard_can_it_be, on 31 December 2017 - 12:00 AM, said:

I dig you, dawg ;)
So I rebought M12 just an hour ago and I'm already halfway through SPG missions for stug IV
Also - what do you mean by :

Do you get some camos in the missions? I've skimmed through some spg missions and I don't see any.

If you complete all the PM missions across all classes with honors you unlock unique German camo for the Stug missions and U.S. camo for the T28 missions. Both are nice camo actually and rare enough to see around the battlefield too. 

Edited by TungstenHitman, 31 December 2017 - 01:07 AM.

TungstenHitman #12 Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:08 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24364 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS

View PostBravelyRanAway, on 30 December 2017 - 11:55 PM, said:

Ahhh....another gone to the dark side..........I hope you don't have sticky palms.

It feels dirty and good. click click and another click. (I know you have arty too))

BravelyRanAway #13 Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:15 AM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 23044 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostTungstenHitman, on 31 December 2017 - 12:08 AM, said:

It feels dirty and good. click click and another click. (I know you have arty too))

Haven't played it in years.....many years......2013 aroundabouts. The boredom of the long distance clicker.

logaritmusnaturalis #14 Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:17 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 1705 battles
That badge looks epic, I don't blame anyone for trying to get it. It's the only one that doesn't look like craplol. 

How_hard_can_it_be #15 Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:18 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 40621 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 31 December 2017 - 01:07 AM, said:

If you complete all the PM missions across all classes with honors you unlock unique German camo for the Stug missions and U.S. camo for the T28 missions. Both are nice camo actually and rare enough to see around the battlefield too. 

Oh well, quite bothersome. I've never considered  redoing any mission just to get the honors.

TungstenHitman #16 Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:21 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24364 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS

The Christmas setting really ruins what the mission camo really looks like and makes everything dark but this is the German called "Ambush" camo and it's like a modern digital type camo in ways

The U.S. is called "Conceptual" camo and looks pretty baddass on most tanks. Already have camo on my U.S. tanks though so I'll wait for discount

I haven't complete the Russian missions with honors yet. I assume that unlocks a unique camo too? not sure though, again, I just don't see these camo's ever featured during battles.

Edited by TungstenHitman, 31 December 2017 - 01:23 AM.

Laur_Balaur_XD #17 Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:29 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36530 battles
  • [FUSED] FUSED

Considering the fact that those missions just unlock the camo, and you still must pay for it, the missions are not worth it at all.

There are a lot of cool camo paints these days, and no one will notice that you have arare camo in a random battle.

Later edit: Sadly the changes in personal missions/campaign made by WG just encourage more people to play arty, the most toxic class in this game....

Edited by Iulian_ro, 31 December 2017 - 01:30 AM.

How_hard_can_it_be #18 Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:30 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 40621 battles
A bit meh. I thought it was going to be more...unique. When I say unique I mean I want to be raped by a bajillion of vivid colors :P

PhooBar #19 Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:22 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 19021 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Good post Tungsten.  Sodium free.  

Well though out, well written and accurate. 

+1

DracheimFlug #20 Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:34 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 9127 battles

View PostIulian_ro, on 31 December 2017 - 01:29 AM, said:

Considering the fact that those missions just unlock the camo, and you still must pay for it, the missions are not worth it at all.

There are a lot of cool camo paints these days, and no one will notice that you have arare camo in a random battle.

Later edit: Sadly the changes in personal missions/campaign made by WG just encourage more people to play arty, the most toxic class in this game....

You do get it for free on the reward tank I think. It is just when applying it to other tanks that you pay for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users