Jump to content


Family name disparity between the genders

female crew name names crew members crew member female crew member female crew members

  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Nordstroem #1 Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:39 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 2850 battles
  • 82
  • [SV3] SV3
  • Member since:
    05-23-2012
Why are female crew members limited to a smaller set of family names than the male crew members? Family names are not gender specific, they should both have access to the same family names. I checked the files and the female crew members' family names are not simply a subset of the male crew members' family names. They are the same names listed twice. Why is this? Why can't they just share the same set of family names?

ricoBenitez1 #2 Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:46 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 506 battles
  • 597
  • Member since:
    10-29-2013
Who cares this its only a game

Edited by ricoBenitez1, 01 January 2018 - 07:13 AM.


Spurtung #3 Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:23 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 61571 battles
  • 5,900
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013
I sometimes wonder too, but then realize I never even checked such things to begin with.

Nordstroem #4 Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:03 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 2850 battles
  • 82
  • [SV3] SV3
  • Member since:
    05-23-2012

I noticed because I wanted to name my new female Japanese crew after characters in the anime Girls und Panzer. I usually don't bother with this sort of thing, but when I did the difference in the number of names was pretty obvious. It's understandable that the given names are fewer, because those are gender specific and there are far fewer female crew members than male. But they really ought to take their family names from the same pool, since those aren't gender specific.

 

I had to mod to get the names I wanted, but two of the family names I was looking for -Nishizumi and Akiyama- were available for men but not women.



250swb #5 Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:23 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 21699 battles
  • 4,856
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-23-2015
I prefer to keep discipline and call them by their function in the tank, so 'Gunner, coffee please'.

Lycopersicon #6 Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:19 AM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 10600 battles
  • 3,563
  • Member since:
    07-30-2014
The underlying reason is probably that most Slavic languages, including Russian, Czech, and Polish, spell male and female surnames differently (e.g. Ivanov-Ivanova), and that we have a lot fewer female characters in the game than male characters, so they do not need that many names to avoid repetitions.

Edited by Lycopersicon, 01 January 2018 - 11:21 AM.


Bordhaw #7 Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:15 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 10815 battles
  • 1,950
  • Member since:
    01-29-2017

View PostNordstroem, on 01 January 2018 - 05:39 AM, said:

Why are female crew members limited to a smaller set of family names than the male crew members? Family names are not gender specific, they should both have access to the same family names. I checked the files and the female crew members' family names are not simply a subset of the male crew members' family names. They are the same names listed twice. Why is this? Why can't they just share the same set of family names?

 

Wat ?

RamRaid90 #8 Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 20535 battles
  • 6,276
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-14-2014

Counter question.

 

Who cares?



TsundereWaffle #9 Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:06 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 26564 battles
  • 10,903
  • [LEWD] LEWD
  • Member since:
    03-31-2013
Renaming crew, that sounds like a bigger waste of gold than exchanging it for credits

Nordstroem #10 Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:31 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 2850 battles
  • 82
  • [SV3] SV3
  • Member since:
    05-23-2012

View PostLycopersicon, on 01 January 2018 - 11:19 AM, said:

The underlying reason is probably that most Slavic languages, including Russian, Czech, and Polish, spell male and female surnames differently (e.g. Ivanov-Ivanova), and that we have a lot fewer female characters in the game than male characters, so they do not need that many names to avoid repetitions.

 

Finally, a reasonable and helpful reply. If people feel the need to say "who cares?" or "there are more important things" they should not reply at all.

 

I can see why that would make the Slavic crew members have fewer names to choose from, but why don't the other female crew members simply pick family names from the same pool as their male counterparts?

 

View PostTsundereWaffle, on 01 January 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

Renaming crew, that sounds like a bigger waste of gold than exchanging it for credits

 

Well, I have a crap-ton of gold lying around from several years ago when you could only buy the rare premium vehicles bundled with gold. Back then there were no "standard" or "ultimate" bundles. Back then there were only "buy this rare tank and get a bunch of gold as well".

Edited by Nordstroem, 01 January 2018 - 06:36 PM.


Lil_Dimitry #11 Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 2318 battles
  • 204
  • Member since:
    12-07-2014

I completely agree with OP, this issue makes the game literally unplayable



Spurtung #12 Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:43 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 61571 battles
  • 5,900
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View PostNordstroem, on 01 January 2018 - 07:31 PM, said:

If people feel the need to say "who cares?" or "there are more important things" they should not reply at all.

I know, right? I've been battling in the forums for years wanting to raise awareness about the inability to edit their faces, hair color, facial hair, but nobody cares. Not even me, as that has literally nothing to do with the game itself.


Edited by Spurtung, 01 January 2018 - 09:45 PM.


Balc0ra #13 Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:52 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 64257 battles
  • 15,366
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

When most of the removed names are Assman, Tiny, Balls, Short, Dickey, Wood, Cook, Pole, Peacock, Dickson, Strapp, Sexey & Wang to name a few. You kinda see why.

 

And before a WG admin wants to edit this. These are normal Sir names, all available in the game. So stop thinking like that. Tho I've seen people get chat banned for discussing British crew names.



NoPoet406 #14 Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:16 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 2408 battles
  • 494
  • [USAW] USAW
  • Member since:
    07-01-2016
Is it weird that I have spent ages giggling at all the names Balc0ra said were removed? And yes, I agree, women tankers demand equal rights. From now on we must call tank crew TANK PERSONS, and we must change Tank to something more neutral and less aggressive, ie MOBILE ARMOUR, but mobile is discriminatory so we must change it to CAPABLE ARMOUR, and ARMOUR is too aggressive as it implies people will get hurt.

So from now on, all tank crew will be known as CAPABLE BEAN BAG PERSONS.

You will be allowed a choice of at least 20 genders, although any CAPABLE BEAN BAG PERSON may be as many genders as they wish in order to avoid exclusion.

SirMechanic #15 Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:42 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 21770 battles
  • 61
  • Member since:
    02-20-2014

they get the male family name once they get married to a male tanker.. 

 

Spoiler

 



Nordstroem #16 Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:01 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 2850 battles
  • 82
  • [SV3] SV3
  • Member since:
    05-23-2012

View PostNoPoet406, on 02 January 2018 - 03:16 AM, said:

Is it weird that I have spent ages giggling at all the names Balc0ra said were removed? And yes, I agree, women tankers demand equal rights. From now on we must call tank crew TANK PERSONS, and we must change Tank to something more neutral and less aggressive, ie MOBILE ARMOUR, but mobile is discriminatory so we must change it to CAPABLE ARMOUR, and ARMOUR is too aggressive as it implies people will get hurt.

So from now on, all tank crew will be known as CAPABLE BEAN BAG PERSONS.

You will be allowed a choice of at least 20 genders, although any CAPABLE BEAN BAG PERSON may be as many genders as they wish in order to avoid exclusion.

 

Your reply has nothing to do with what I posted about. This isn't some SJW cause. I just think it's weird (and also programmatically unnecessary) to have the female crew members pick family names from a different pool than the male crew members.

Tidal_Force #17 Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:32 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 16185 battles
  • 6,823
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    08-29-2012

View PostNordstroem, on 01 January 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

 

Finally, a reasonable and helpful reply. If people feel the need to say "who cares?" or "there are more important things" they should not reply at all.

 

I can see why that would make the Slavic crew members have fewer names to choose from, but why don't the other female crew members simply pick family names from the same pool as their male counterparts?

 

 

Well, I have a crap-ton of gold lying around from several years ago when you could only buy the rare premium vehicles bundled with gold. Back then there were no "standard" or "ultimate" bundles. Back then there were only "buy this rare tank and get a bunch of gold as well".

 

Maybe because WG didn't want to bother with researching what languages and cultures have gender specific versions of surnames. Not to mention that they most certainly would get them wrong for any language that isn't Russian (since WG is primarily Belarussian company, I assume they would get those right). To make matters worse, those languages do have family names which don't vary by gender (at least one does, one to which I'm native). It all gets even better for naturalised foreign last names, where sometimes female version can be same as valid declension of male last name, and obviously, declension of female last name is different from declension of male name.

 

Basically, languages where words have inherent gender, which changes declension and grammatical rules are a lot more fun than those without. It gets even more fun when you try to learn language which is related, but has different declensions.

 

Oh, and I almost forgot, it's not used in official documents any more but in my language we have different version of last name for unmarried (and not divorced either) woman. Basically like Miss/Mrs distinction, but it modifies last name instead of being additional word.

 

Trawling internet for lists is dangerous, finding reliable sources is hard, hiring someone who actually knows language and can compile list or tell you what sources are credible costs money, so why bother? Each player should have no more than roughly 30 girls at most, so just use whatever last names you are sure of and be done with it, doubles are unlikely, and when they happen, they are going to be regarded as funny coincidence, like 3 Swedish girls I got on christmass of '16. They had same last name, and two of them even had same portrait.

 

View PostSirMechanic, on 02 January 2018 - 02:42 AM, said:

they get the male family name once they get married to a male tanker.. 

 

Spoiler

 

 

That's a bad joke, you know why? Because it makes no sense.

 

Wife taking surname after husband does not override grammatical rules, only changes which last name is modified.

Kowalski's wife is Kowalska.

Ivanov's wife is Ivanova.

Zeman's wife is Zemanová.

Those are examples from 3 different languages.

And there may be exceptions where due to tradition last name does not follow normal rules, because why not?


Edited by Tidal_Force, 02 January 2018 - 06:33 AM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users