72 replies to this topic

succmaster #1 Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3971 battles
  • [NTUNK] NTUNK

Hey,

I'll get straight into it:

I'm not a very nice person in chat and think I would be able to change that. I've been chat locked a couple times now and I'm wondering on how I can improve my mood.

Sometimes, arty gets me, the usual team pushers, bad team tactics and so on make me angry. It has just not affected my in-game behavior, but also real life behavior. This is part of a much bigger problem. 

I've played this game since 2011-2012, back when you couldn't go off cliffs and such. I was a very bad player but still managed to get my hands on tanks like the T-54 and IS3. Although I was poor and couldn't afford the IS3 in credits, I couldn't buy it, I recently bought it in this account and it is amazing. Brings back so many memories.

When I lose, I usually scream at people in my vicinity (family members, friends etc..) and become very irritated. It has overall made me a worse person. My behavior is changing and changing due to the mental problems this game has brought upon me. Alot of people have noticed the change of behavior in me and are starting to get worried.

It's not just like something you can stop, but It's something that controls you. Whenever I die or whatever bad happens, I lose control and start spewing out garbage in chat. I've been reported and gotten punished. I regret it deeply as I cannot play with my friends or chat with others in a tight in-game situations.

I'm a pretty active person and not really obese, I play basketball, dodgeball and all sorts of different sports. I've gotten really good at basketball.

If my playstyle has any effect, then it's this: UDES 03, Heavies like the IS3 for brawling, lights such as the AMX 13 75 and recently have gotten into artillery to get some credits. I had the pershing but sold it, gonna rebuy it later.

For curious people: On holidays, long breaks, I play about 4-6 hours depending on my mood. In between, I help my family with different things, chat with them and sometimes watch TV.

On school-days, I play 1-2 hours on average. I just get my 2x on, get new modules I'm close to unlocking and so on then log off. 

It's not my family's fault, they are very kind people, although sometimes annoying, they are always supportive and help me. I love my family.

This game has made me so addicted, it's like h*roin or c*caine. I have tried war thunder, but it's too realistic, I'm too used to this game. I don't really wanna switch games. It's a nuisance. 

So, I'd love your help to tell me what to do. I run on a pretty trash laptop going at about 20 FPS, but I still manage it, so playing music in the background isn't a choice, I have to do it on my phone separately and completely turn down WoT volume. 

Sorry for going off on a rant, but all this just bothers me and I think I could do better. 

Please do list suggestions down below. Thank you for passing by and taking a look at my post. :)

NoPoet406 #2 Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2408 battles
  • [USAW] USAW
This is an amazing admission and is a very big step forward. Well done mate. As a person with anger issues myself, I'll come back to this thread when I've got a bit of time and try to offer some advice. The main things are realising the problem exists, then admitting it. The fact that you're actively trying to do something about it already puts you in front of about 90% of people in your situation.

jack_timber #3 Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32355 battles

I suggest that you stop playing if the net result is screaming at you loved ones.

Find another game that doesn't make you emotionally charged.

After all it is a game that should be played for enjoyment and the occasional giggle....

qpranger #4 Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:49 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 31430 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Uninstall WOT.

Buy a hamster.

Enjoy bliss.

Derethim #5 Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:50 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17105 battles

Reading this after I managed to ALT+F4 :D

I missed the target in my 110 for about the 9th time in a row, half of that was my fault, half of it was the horrible RNG I got.

I can only take so much, my bff calls me "hothead" for a reason. She also has me as "Anger Mismanagement" on Facebook.

BravelyRanAway #6 Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 22343 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

Interesting topic.

The way I look at it while playing the game.....

Will shouting or breaking things around me change what's happening on the screen....as the answer will always be NO, there is no point in shouting, breaking things or upsetting the mood of family members.

This doesn't mean I don'y get irritated, I do sometimes, but I don't let it control me.

I am that way with most things.......if I can't change it....I don't obsess over it.

This just my point of view and reflects how I look at things, I don't write it as a way of trying to fix your issues, but more to show how someone else deals with the same events but with a different mental perspective.

Havoc7926 #7 Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 13083 battles
  • [OLDG] OLDG

OP, can I ask if it's just WOT or other games that make you feel this way?

If it's just WOT then really the answer is, in theory, simple.  Just stop playing WOT.  Now I know that in practice it's sometimes not as easy as that.  I've personally played other online games way too long because of 'time invested' in them.  When I did finally stop playing them I realised that they were just games and there was plenty of other things I could be doing that were more fun.  

You say that you play sports.  Do you react the same way in those to fouls or inept team mates that you do in WOT?  That might be the sign of a bigger problem if you do.

I also have to say that WOT is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played.  I personally only play for short periods of time and have breaks of a few days or weeks between sessions if I feel I'm not enjoying the whole thing.  Yes I come back because the idea of internet tonks is appealing but I don't let it put me in a bad mood anymore.  I've accepted the fact that I play so infrequently I'll never be good at this game and grinding lines takes me an absolute age in elapsed time but so what?  

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in finding a solution for yourself.  So many people behave badly in this game and you have taken a huge step in understanding that it's not healthy and that you want to do something about it.  That alone is worthy of praise.  

BravelyRanAway #8 Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 22343 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostHavoc7926, on 02 January 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

I also have to say that WOT is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. 

F2P games are generally made to be frustrating........they use psychological tricks to frustrate you and push you to part with money.

So, it's not entirely the OP's fault, people who get frustrated easily will react quicker and more overtly to such mental manipulation.

WoT has changed over the years and has become more frustrating, possibly a victim of it's own success, being bigger means more overheads and staff and so more tricks are used to keep the mammoth company breathing.......perhaps becoming a self consuming monster with moral standards being pushed aside in order to feed itself.

SuedKAT #9 Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:35 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I suggest that you between every 5 match or so alt tab and google something nice, something that lets you release some of the pressure that you've built up, be it hardcore p0rn or kittens. In the long run I'd start reflecting on why you get so angry, it won't help either the ones you scream at in-game since when people lose focus they play worse, which in the long run won't help you either and your family don't deserve being shouted at since "Steve" in his IS-7 drives his tank as an idiot. 

I do understand how an MMO can bring anger, frustration and annoyance to a person though, it can be really frustrating when you do your best and if just one player wouldn't have been such a tool everything would have worked out. I had such a moment yesterday when an "ally" shoot me 2 times in the back and reported me for blocking him, I was facehugging an enemy Tiger II in my T29 at the moment. Sure I got frustrated and I reported and put the player on ignore since that lets me report that player if I ever see him again and I did type something like "are you for real" in chat before I left the battle since I was quite annoyed. I did not however start shouting at anyone and that's mainly down to one thing, to me WoT is a game, the players in it can be just as competent or dumb as the humans I come across in my line of work, not to mention that I've played countless MMO's in the past in which random groups was a thing and believe me when a player, especially healer or tank sucks in an MMORPG stuff can get nastier than I've ever seen it in WoT.

Try to sit down a moment and think, why do you get so angry, why do it matter so much to you what happens in WoT, reflect over it, if you come to some conclusion it might be a lot easier to just sigh and go on instead, especially since you'll come across idiots in all areas of life and most of the time you can't do so much about it.

jack_timber #10 Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32355 battles

Just looking at BBC news and came across this....

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Gaming addiction classified as disorder by WHO - http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-42541404

Zoggo_ #11 Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27180 battles

I often have similar anger issues and can turn into a raging idiot in chat, especially after a long losing streak.

A huge factor in this is quite simply the game design and the competive nature in most of us. You not only have to rely on yourself playing well, most games you also need to rely on team mates too.As you have no control over them this soon leads to the blood pressure rising when they are awful.

It is the most frustrating game I have ever played yet by far the most addictive, here are some tips I'm now using to relief stress -

1. Do not use XVM in game. A biggy this one, nothing makes you go more tilt than seeing your whole team are tomatoes and they have a super unicum team. What you don't know doesn't bother you.

2. Dont use in game session stats. If you on a bad run of games, you end up chasing good Wn8 scores..pointless in the grand scheme of things.

3. You die, log out immediately. Don't ping the map like a moron or abuse team mates. Often it's more stressful watching your team fail miserably too.

4. Turn off in game chat and the ability for anyone to send you personal messages after game. Again what you don't know about won't bother you.

Hope this helps people like the OP to keep the anger from boiling over too much. Only down side I do miss the occasional nice comment in chat or pm. :)

Pvt_Duffer #12 Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:55 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 16653 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Delete XVM.

Play Pz 1C

Play Tog II

Play Cromwell or other favourite fast toy tank. Rules: No-Brakes/no stopping.

Play fully pimped out Tier II and enjoy Mittengard Madness.

Remember you are addicted to the grind.  That's not why you thought the game was fun when you first started playing.

m1x_angelico #13 Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22295 battles
  • [-VETO] -VETO

As someone who has been gaming since '99 and has really a lot of gamer friends (some of them all grown up now :) ), I can offer some advice:

1. Don't be to hard on yourself - people have different characters and mentality. Some take defeat and sheet calmly, others spew out their emotions. If these people didn't spew it out, it would destroy them from the inside.

2. Don't have too high expectations from other people. Many people playing online games are children, some are mentally limited or game-handicaped, while others are just plain azzholes. Try to understand that. It will not stop you from getting angry, but you won't be angry as much

3. Despite no. 1 and 2, sometimes people who have out-of-proportion reaction in some insignificant situation (e.g. playing random match in an online game) may have an underlying psychological issue ranging from a bad day to a bigger issue. Try to get to the root of your anger and you will know if it's stemming from your character or if there is a bigger problem that needs solving.

P.S. Don't know how old you are, and if you can work part time, but if you can, go work and buy a better (even used) computer. Having low fps and playing shattering and choppy games is for me a single most annoying god damn thing in the universe.

Jigabachi #14 Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
It's very simple.
You just have to realize that it's you, not the game. Everything you do is a decision you make. So grow up and think about your actions. If you can't do that, seek professional help.

And if it's really that bad, turn off the chat.

apaleytos #15 Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:10 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 15166 battles

View PostZoggo_, on 02 January 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

Step 1

1. Do not use XVM in game. A biggy this one, nothing makes you go more tilt than seeing your whole team are tomatoes and they have a super unicum team. What you don't know doesn't bother you.

2. Dont use in game session stats. If you on a bad run of games, you end up chasing good Wn8 scores..pointless in the grand scheme of things.

3. You die, log out immediately. Don't ping the map like a moron or abuse team mates. Often it's more stressful watching your team fail miserably too.

4. Turn off in game chat and the ability for anyone to send you personal messages after game. Again what you don't know about won't bother you.

If it doesnt work step 2....

View PostHavoc7926, on 02 January 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

step 2

OP, can I ask if it's just WOT or other games that make you feel this way?

If it's just WOT then really the answer is, in theory, simple.  Just stop playing WOT.  Now I know that in practice it's sometimes not as easy as that.  I've personally played other online games way too long because of 'time invested' in them.  When I did finally stop playing them I realised that they were just games and there was plenty of other things I could be doing that were more fun.  

UserZer00 #16 Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:11 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9140 battles

View Postqpranger, on 02 January 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

Uninstall WOT.

Buy a hamster.

Enjoy bliss.

Rent hamster to WOT as auxillery server power

Enjoy extra income

Havoc7926 #17 Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 13083 battles
  • [OLDG] OLDG

View Postjack_timber, on 02 January 2018 - 02:37 PM, said:

Just looking at BBC news and came across this....

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Gaming addiction classified as disorder by WHO - http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-42541404

I just came back here to post that very link.  Beaten to it but very interesting info.

UserZer00 #18 Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:35 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9140 battles

View PostHavoc7926, on 02 January 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

I just came back here to post that very link.  Beaten to it but very interesting info.

But is WOT a gateway game to harder and more addictive games or is it already top of the list?

Vajsravana #19 Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:39 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32827 battles

View Postqpranger, on 02 January 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

Uninstall WOT.

Buy a hamster.

Enjoy bliss.

Buying hamsters looks like good advice... but I can't cook...

Pvt_Duffer #20 Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 16653 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostVajsravana, on 02 January 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

Buying hamsters looks like good advice... but I can't cook...

Hamsters are too fiddly.

Guinea pigs are easier to get on skewers and grill on open fire;no cooking skills needed.

Also tagged with anger, spg, management, help, gameplay

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users