Skills Perks Rework

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

EggyTheGumGumChewer #1 Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16312 battles
  • [CRY-X] CRY-X

I am sure we all agree that the skills and perks that are currently in the game desperately need a rework. After a long time with many changes to the game, a majority of the skills are rendered completely useless, while others remain very powerful. I figured I would attempt to rework them all. While I have kept the mechanics mostly the same, I have changed the usefulness of most, also considering which tank type is used. For example, a scout deserves to have skills aimed more at "sneakyness" and spotting, while a heavy tank should perform better in heavy engagements.

Below I show a draft of how I would have reworked the skills and perks. I probably haven't thought through everything perfectly, so any suggestions are welcome. Cheers :)

* = new skill  / perk idea

COMMON SKILLS LT       MT        HT         TD      SPG   TYPE       EFFECT
Repair 75% 75% 100% 75% 50% Skill Increase repair speed, divide by amount of crew members
Camoflauge 100% 75% 50% 100% 100% Skill Increase camoflauge, divide by amount of crew members
Firefighting 100% 100% 100% 100% 100% Skill Increase firefighting speed, divided by amount of crew members
BIA 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% Full perk Increase major qualification

COMMANDER LT       MT    HT    TD    SPG  TYPE  EFFECT
Sixth Sense 2s 3s 4s 3s 3s Perk Alert X seconds after vehicle has been spotted
Mentor 30% 30% 30% 30% 30% Skill Increase base crew xp income
Recon 4% 3% 2% 2% 3% Skill Increase view range
Jack of all Trades 50% 50% 75% 50% 50% Skill Increase major qualification of knocked out crew memebers
Eagle Eye 1s 1s 1s 1s 1s Perk Identify damaged modules and KO crew members after X seconds

GUNNER LT       MT    HT    TD     SPG  TYPE  EFFECT
Designated Target 5s 4s 3s 4s 3s Perk Targeted enemy visible for X more seconds
Armorer 25% 25% 50% 25% 25% Skill Decrease accuracy penalty from a damaged gun
Deadeye 5% 5% 5% 10% 5% Perk Increase module damage chance for all shell types
Snap Shot 5% 7.5% 5% 2.5% 2.5% Skill Decrease gun dispersion values on turret rotation
*Sniper 1% 1% 1% 2% 1% Skill Increase gun accuracy

DRIVER LT       MT    HT    TD    SPG  TYPE  EFFECT
Smooth Ride 4% 6% 4% 2% 2% Skill Decrease gun dispersion values on moving and traversing
Controlled Impact 50% 25% 50% 25% 25% Perk Decrease damage taken from ramming
Off Road Driving 10% 10% 10% 5% 5% Skill Decrease ground resistances on soft and medium terrain
Prevent. Maintenance 25% 25% 50% 25% 25% Perk Decrease chance of fire on engine damage
Clutch Braking 5% 5% 10% 5% 10% Skill

Increase traverse speed

RADIO OPERATOR LT       MT        HT         TD      SPG   TYPE  EFFECT
Situational Awareness 5% 4% 3% 3% 4% Skill Increase view range
Call for Vengeance 7s 5s 4s 4s 4s Perk Enemies stay spotted for X more seconds after destruction
Signal Boost 100% 100% 100% 100% 100% Skill Increase radio range
*Bushman 6% 4% 3% 5% 3% Perk Decrease enemy camo bonus from bushes

LOADER LT       MT    HT    TD    SPG  TYPE  EFFECT
Intuition 75% 75% 75% 75% 75% Perk Chance of switching shell type without reloading
Adrenaline Rush 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% Perk Decrease reload when less than 25% hit points remaining
Safe Stowage 15% 15% 25% 15% 15% Perk Increase ammo rack durability

Edited by EggyTheGumGumChewer, 02 January 2018 - 10:20 PM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #2 Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27494 battles

Overly complicated having different values per tank type.

The only skill that really needs changing is Intuition to 100%. I mean what's the point of picking up a skill that only MIGHT switch you to the correct shell type at a critical moment?

Homer_J #3 Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:07 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Increase gun dispersion values on moving and traversing

I don't think I want a skill which does that.

I'm sure all those numbers mean something to you but you need to explain it more.

Besides, WG are working on a revamp of the skills and perks.......

.....for four years or something.

EggyTheGumGumChewer #4 Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16312 battles
  • [CRY-X] CRY-X

View PostHomer_J, on 02 January 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

Increase gun dispersion values on moving and traversing

I don't think I want a skill which does that.

I'm sure all those numbers mean something to you but you need to explain it more.

Besides, WG are working on a revamp of the skills and perks.......

.....for four years or something.

My bad, meant to write "decrease" for both Snap Shot and Smooth Ride.

The mechanics of the skills and perks would be the same as always unless I specify otherwise.

I do not have enough time or space to explain the mechanics of each skill and perk, you can find that here:

wiki.wargaming.net/en/Crew (scroll down)

If you understand the mechanics of each skill / perk, you will hopefully also understand what the numbers are supposed to mean, at least to a degree. The main point here is that we need a rewamped skill system ;)

EggyTheGumGumChewer #5 Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16312 battles
  • [CRY-X] CRY-X

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 02 January 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

Overly complicated having different values per tank type.

The only skill that really needs changing is Intuition to 100%. I mean what's the point of picking up a skill that only MIGHT switch you to the correct shell type at a critical moment?

I don't really see how it is overly complicated. Different tank classes deserve to perform differently. Since WG clearly hasn't understood this, giving medium tanks better view range than light tanks etc, perhaps a class biased skill system could help fix that problem :)

If the game also had a good UI showing you the exact bonuses you get from each skill, I don't think that would be a problem.

I think the main issue is that most people have no idea how large of a bonus the different skills give. For example (sorry to all the deadeye fans out there), deadeye is as far as I have seen hugely over used. A lot of people have this skill, while its tiny 3% critical bonus might only give you an actual advantage every 500 games or so.. Choosing this over for example snap shot is madness. Snap Shot gives you a permanent 7,5% (!) turret traverse dispersion buff, something that hugely affects almost every shot you fire.

There are TONS of useless skills at the moment. Looking at this from a competitive view, there are a few skills and perks ranging far over the others, meaning you end up with almost the same setup for all tanks, classes and tiers.

The only really truly effective skills are these...: Sixth Sense, BIA, repairs, camo, snap shot, smooth ride, situational awareness, recon.

slitth #6 Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11931 battles

I would prefer that we remove the skill from the individual crew members first.

Perhaps to nationwide extend instead.

So if you unlock the Sixth Sense Perk perk on one German commander, then all German commanders that are at a 100% tank skill will have it.

Or put another way, if you get an new German command and use the gold training option then you will in fact be making a copy of your German command.

Thereby removing the need to move crew of one tank to because one every 100% of the same nation will have the same skill.

250swb #7 Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:42 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21699 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postslitth, on 02 January 2018 - 09:21 PM, said:

I would prefer that we remove the skill from the individual crew members first.

Perhaps to nationwide extend instead.

So if you unlock the Sixth Sense Perk perk on one German commander, then all German commanders that are at a 100% tank skill will have it.

Or put another way, if you get an new German command and use the gold training option then you will in fact be making a copy of your German command.

Thereby removing the need to move crew of one tank to because one every 100% of the same nation will have the same skill.

So you just want to have everything without really working for it, all done and sorted in the first week of playing Wot? And how do you compensate all the players who have put in the hours grinding crews over the years? With this new system wiping out all their efforts it would mean a complete novice could be on a par with them within a few days. 

Any modification to the crew skills mechanic has to be achievable, so as not to put players off, and also not disadvantage players who have already done the work. Yes there are some skills that are now more redundant than others, but these are the only things that need tweaking, not transform the fundamental basis of WOT into a game that you can finish and then move onto the next.

slitth #8 Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:24 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11931 battles

View Post250swb, on 03 January 2018 - 02:42 AM, said:

So you just want to have everything without really working for it, all done and sorted in the first week of playing Wot? And how do you compensate all the players who have put in the hours grinding crews over the years? With this new system wiping out all their efforts it would mean a complete novice could be on a par with them within a few days. 

Any modification to the crew skills mechanic has to be achievable, so as not to put players off, and also not disadvantage players who have already done the work. Yes there are some skills that are now more redundant than others, but these are the only things that need tweaking, not transform the fundamental basis of WOT into a game that you can finish and then move onto the next.

Yes, I want to give new players a chance to catch up to the veteran player in terms of crew skills and equipment.

But that would not put them completely on par with the veteran players.

They will still have the ability and experience to help them win the battle.

It will still take considerable time to get a tank fully optimized. I see no reason to keep prolonging veteran players crew skill and equipment longer than necessary.

The idea that veteran players should get a boost from equipment for X amount of time is elitist thinking and only servers to give veteran players easy prey and weak teammates.

they should only benefit from the knowledge, ability and experience.

And the veteran players will not lost any crew skills or equipment. They will just be facing tank that are just as optimised as their own.

eldrak #9 Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 46559 battles
  • [NE-VO] NE-VO

Some of these changes seem unnecessary as for example you start with very different base values for repair and camo on different tanks.

Imo the main change that's needed is for all perks to be made into skills.

Doom_On_You #10 Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:27 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3165 battles

Some of those changes are far, far too powerful. For example call for vengeance at 7 seconds?! That means a suicide scout on malinovka could be getting in excess of 3k assisted damage easily, if it's tier 10 you could be talking over 6k. Why should the smallest and most thinly armoured tanks be given equal ramming defence as they biggest and heaviest?

I think the skills should be split entirely for tank types in some fashion.

SoupFork #11 Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:27 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5204 battles
If anything, please give the loaders some actual SKILLS that improve loading, not all these perks...

Lord_Edge #12 Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:27 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5951 battles
IMO sixth sense needs to be removed and just made a standard game feature (or maybe link it to the commander being 100%?) as it's basically a mandatory skill above tier 3.

undutchable80 #13 Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:37 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6964 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Apart from the general skills like BiA, camo, repairs (and to some measure firefighting), what annoys me is the disparity in useful skills/perks per crew member (in my opinion);

Commander has 2 primary: SS & Recon (and depending on the tank 2 secondary: JoAT & Mentor)

Gunner has 1: Snap Shot

Driver has 3: Smooth Ride, Clutch Braking and Off-Road Driving

Radio Operator has 1 primary: Situational Awareness (and depending on the tank a secondary: Relaying or Signal Boosting)

Loader has 1 primary: Safe Stowage (and depending on the tank a secondary: Adrenaline Rush)

And it gets worse if you have a 3 or 4 (wo)man crew, since commanders for instance often double time as loader / radio operator...

Captain_Kremen0 #14 Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36778 battles

I'd make it so you don't lose skill/perk percentages when you move class type.

I only found this out when moving a crew from a Med to a TD - An entire crews worth of 100% wiped out as I didn't want to assign til I'd put the crew together.

crapyou just keep on learning.

EggyTheGumGumChewer #15 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16312 battles
  • [CRY-X] CRY-X

View PostDoom_On_You, on 03 January 2018 - 08:27 AM, said:

Some of those changes are far, far too powerful. For example call for vengeance at 7 seconds?! That means a suicide scout on malinovka could be getting in excess of 3k assisted damage easily, if it's tier 10 you could be talking over 6k. Why should the smallest and most thinly armoured tanks be given equal ramming defence as they biggest and heaviest?

I think the skills should be split entirely for tank types in some fashion.

Perhaps 4-5 second would be better. And no, a scout would still not get close to that amount of damage. Either they are too far away to be shot, or they are close enough to be spotted from an aggressive bush. Vengeance is an under powered skill at the moment, and needs a buff.

Lighter tanks haven't been given equal ramming defense as the heavier tanks. All the mechanics are still the same. If a heavy tank rams a light tank, the light tank will in most cases be crushed. This skill only enables the driver to reduce the expected ramming damage taken.

Also tagged with Skills, Perks, Rework

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users