Why Is There A 'Steel Wall', Medal ?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

OIias_of_Sunhillow #1 Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

Major

• Player
  • 24889 battles

Surely it's mostly won according to the enemy team's incompetence at finding weak spots. 

They can't hit damaging shots, so you get a medal.

Seems a bit of a 'throw-away' reward.

SuedKAT #2 Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Well armor does still matter quite a few times, there is a reason certain tanks boosts your win rate on average with quite a few percentage....

What I find kinda meh though is that you don't get it if you die, I mean sure I get that my "steel wall" didn't hold up, but when I got like 13k blocked it feels a bit sad to see it go to someone on the wining team that had like 1.2k blocked. You still get most of the other medals regardless :(

Uebergewicht #3 Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles

You don´t have to bounce a single shot. You just have to survive 11 shots worth at least a thousand damage, bounce or not.

And yes, drawing fire you your tank can be very valuable, as it means the enemies arent shooting your buddies.

Edited by Uebergewicht, 03 January 2018 - 04:51 PM.

Derethim #4 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17840 battles

View PostUebergewicht, on 03 January 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

And yes, drawing fire you your tank can be very valuable, as it means the enemies arent shooting your buddies.

Thiiiiiis

-you're making them waste ammo

-you're distracting them

-you're providing support by drawing fire

-you can serve as an actual cover for someone

-etc.

Pity it doesen't give any kind of reward. Correct me if i'm wrong. And bonds don't count :D

Edited by Derethim, 03 January 2018 - 05:36 PM.

UrQuan #5 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20173 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSuedKAT, on 03 January 2018 - 04:48 PM, said:

Well armor does still matter quite a few times, there is a reason certain tanks boosts your win rate on average with quite a few percentage....

What I find kinda meh though is that you don't get it if you die, I mean sure I get that my "steel wall" didn't hold up, but when I got like 13k blocked it feels a bit sad to see it go to someone on the wining team that had like 1.2k blocked. You still get most of the other medals regardless :(

It used to be rewarded in death; but then WG included the 'stay alive' part, to prevent it going to the losing team too much (because if you know your armor, you could get a ton of blocked damage in before you died in a losing match) Do note, that this was before courageous resistance bonus was introduced.

Later on, they removed the 'must block 1K potential damage' requirement, which imo is a mistake & led to silly things like a CDC or lights getting a steel wall by RNG going nuts, devaluing the award imo.

That said, making good use of your armor is a powerful advantage for your team, because it makes it much harder for the enemy to hurt you & negates damage the enemy dealt. You block 3K damage? Congratulations! You just tanked enough damage that could have killed 2 T8 tanks! And you still live!

It's about drawing fire to you, to a tank that's harder to damage, rather then the enemy shooting a softer, but harder to hit target. And considering weakspots are getting removed on a steady rate, it ceased being unable to shoot the weakspots a long time ago.

Don't forget, good armored tank players don't stay exposed long, just enough to get things done, so you have this tradeoff: *Do I wait till he makes an error for a good shot, giving him free reign to shoot my team in the meantime? Or do do I take the bad shot that could damage him each time he pops out? (but has a high risk of bouncing/being absorbed if it fails)*

Mission distraction is a major success!

Edited by UrQuan, 03 January 2018 - 05:43 PM.

Balc0ra #6 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67496 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostOIias_of_Sunhillow, on 03 January 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

Surely it's mostly won according to the enemy team's incompetence at finding weak spots. 

They can't hit damaging shots, so you get a medal.

Well it's for taking at least 11 hits. Not for bouncing 11 hits. Bouncing 10 in a row is a different medal. So it could indicate they had low alpha guns to, and no one else on your team took more hits. Even if you bounced 5 T95 shots and don't get hit from anyone else. It's still not a steel wall. But it is if you take a 122mm hit and you get hit by a dual platoon Luchs 103 drive by to take 1K damage and get hit 11 or more times. You will get it as they have more rounds that hit you. Even if every round did pen you.

Edited by Balc0ra, 03 January 2018 - 05:10 PM.

Hedgehog1963 #7 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51669 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
Got one in the Tier IV T-50 once.  Lucky I guess.

Nazgarth #8 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28472 battles
  • [-TWO-] -TWO-

View PostUrQuan, on 03 January 2018 - 05:08 PM, said:

It used to be rewarded in death; but then WG included the 'stay alive' part, to prevent it going to the losing team too much (because if you know your armor, you could get a ton of blocked damage in before you died in a losing match) Do note, that this was before courageous resistance bonus was introduced.

Later on, they removed the 'must block 1K potential damage' requirement, which imo is a mistake & led to silly things like a CDC or lights getting a steel wall by RNG going nuts, devaluing the award imo.

That said, making good use of your armor is a powerful advantage for your team, because it makes it much harder for the enemy to hurt you & negates damage the enemy dealt. You block 3K damage? Congratulations! You just tanked enough damage that could have killed 2 T8 tanks! And you still live!

It's about drawing fire to you, to a tank that's harder to damage, rather then the enemy shooting a softer, but harder to hit target. And considering weakspots are getting removed on a steady rate, it ceased being unable to shoot the weakspots a long time ago.

Don't forget, good armored tank players don't stay exposed long, enough to get things done, so you have this tradeoff: *Do I wait till he makes an error for a good shot, giving him free reign to shoot my team in the meantime? Or do do I take the bad shot that could damage him each time he pops out? (but has a high risk of bouncing/being absorbed if it fails)*

Steel wall has never been rewarded if the tank is destroyed lol.

Cobra6 #9 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16345 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Steel wall is only impressive on tanks that require skill to angle successfully, like the KV-4.

Since Wargaming has started to over-inflate armour in this game it's entirely worthless on tanks like the Maus and Type5 as they require hardly any skill to play relatively successfully and bounce tons of damage.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 03 January 2018 - 05:13 PM.

UrQuan #10 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20173 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNazgarth, on 03 January 2018 - 05:12 PM, said:

Steel wall has never been rewarded if the tank is destroyed lol.

It was changed halfway in 2011. before that, dead or alive didn't matter.

View PostCobra6, on 03 January 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

Steel wall is only impressive on tanks that require skill to angle successfully, like the KV-4.

Since Wargaming has started to over-inflate armour in this game it's entirely worthless on tanks like the Maus and Type5 as they require hardly any skill to play relatively successfully and bounce tons of damage.

Cobra 6

Have to agree, the current increase on armor buffs/enhancements makes the award much easier to get when playing certain tank or tank/map combo's, devaluing the award. Yes I drive Maus & considering I get a Steel wall in that tank every 5th/6th match, it just feels cheap. Much more proud of my Steel wall collection in other tanks (like KV-4 / KV-5), as they needed some hard work at times.

Edited by UrQuan, 03 January 2018 - 05:26 PM.

PoIestar #11 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:25 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32167 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostOIias_of_Sunhillow, on 03 January 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

With the current tank buffs finding weakspots is becoming harder and harder if there aren't any...

Edited by PoIestar, 03 January 2018 - 05:25 PM.

Merton15 #12 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13985 battles

It can be either:

a) A sign of a good team player, using their armour effectively, protecting their buddies and allowing their team to trade productively OR

b) A sign of an incompetent/lucky player getting repeatedly shot at by incompetent/unlucky players

No way of telling without the replay

Hotwired #13 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 28741 battles

View PostPoIestar, on 03 January 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

With the current tank buffs finding weakspots is becoming harder and harder if there aren't any...

Sure there are, WG says it's still possible to penetrate the rear and sides of such tanks.

So when the Chrysler K pushes against the same tier heavy of the T32 which has 198 and 245 penetration options the tactical option available for the T32 is drive around the Chrysler K.

This might be highly suspect in practice but WG must know best.

SuedKAT #14 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:33 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostMerton15, on 03 January 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

It can be either:

a) A sign of a good team player, using their armour effectively, protecting their buddies and allowing their team to trade productively OR

b) A sign of an incompetent/lucky player getting repeatedly shot at by incompetent/unlucky players

No way of telling without the replay

c) A sign of 3-5-7 MM with a player in a  reasonable well armored top tier HT.

UrQuan #15 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:39 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20173 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostHotwired, on 03 January 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

Sure there are, WG says it's still possible to penetrate the rear and sides of such tanks.

So when the Chrysler K pushes against the same tier heavy of the T32 which has 198 and 245 penetration options the tactical option available for the T32 is drive around the Chrysler K.

This might be highly suspect in practice but WG must know best.

Till you land in a situation where he did flank your rear, but still can't hurt your tank, because clueless. People I toon with can probably vouch for this. I've ran into situations where enemies still couldn't hurt my poorly armored rear, cause angles are hard yo.

Recent example:

Mmm yes, scratch that itch, a bit more to the left please, yessss, that's the spot!

Armor is useless indeed & flanking is godmode. Tip; if the enemy can't shoot, nothing can help him, bar firing HE.

But yes, WG knows best, to assure everyone has a chance to damage tanks, WG introduced the Japanese derp heavies (also buffed Maus to silly levels, it really didn't need that tbh, but hey, 'armor is useless' )

Edited by UrQuan, 03 January 2018 - 05:41 PM.

Hotwired #16 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 28741 battles

Well if I'm reading that correctly your [edited]is to a building and all he sees is your angled side at 30 degrees...

He's not missing the target, you simply are not showing a legitimate target as far as I can see.

Still shouldn't have taken the shots but it wasn't on your [edited].

That's the other thing, many superheavies have really really safe side arcs because of massive side thickness and spaced places.

Edited by Hotwired, 03 January 2018 - 05:49 PM.

Nazgarth #17 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28472 battles
  • [-TWO-] -TWO-

View PostUrQuan, on 03 January 2018 - 05:21 PM, said:

It was changed halfway in 2011. before that, dead or alive didn't matter.

Have to agree, the current increase on armor buffs/enhancements makes the award much easier to get when playing certain tank or tank/map combo's, devaluing the award. Yes I drive Maus & considering I get a Steel wall in that tank every 5th/6th match, it just feels cheap. Much more proud of my Steel wall collection in other tanks (like KV-4 / KV-5), as they needed some hard work at times.

Cant find a single passing mention to steel wall in any change log throughout 2011.

malachi6 #18 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 50492 battles
Using the same logic.  High calibre is moot dues to the ability to press 2.  Top gun irrelevant in the current 3,5,7 MM meta.  As of course is Lehväslaiho's medal. Don't forget invader is sitting around for a minute or so doing nothing.  Defender is basically the I forgot to press W key award.  Confederate the, Boy I can't focus award.  Scout is the how fast can you get a a frontal bush award.  And tank sniper the I am afraid of a fight award.

UrQuan #19 Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20173 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNazgarth, on 03 January 2018 - 05:47 PM, said:

Cant find a single passing mention to steel wall in any change log throughout 2011.

I was indeed incorrect, they removed it in 2012 (no longer Steel wall when you suicide your tank) Pretty late, I thought they removed it much earlier but indeed no mention of it in any 2011 changelog. There was another Steel Wall fix in 2013, but that was a description fix (with no mention what it was). Last Steel wall change was with patch 9.0, where they fixed the description again (no mention what got changed/fixed tho)

The suicide thing likely explains why I remember it wrong, as I did lose out some Steel walls to dead tanks, but they likely suicided then to keep the reward (and this was before courageous resistance bonus!)

Edited by UrQuan, 03 January 2018 - 07:11 PM.

Tommy_Atkins_Teapot #20 Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22081 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Dear Olias,

Why Is There A 'Steel Wall', Medal ?

To give to UrQuan of course, simples.

Regards

Tommy. :B

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users