Why has WG put so much emphasis on Heavy Tanks lately?

Heavy Tank possibly because balens

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

WindSplitter1 #1 Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:36 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 15430 battles
  • [KROLL] KROLL

I can understand the changes to Brit heavies. A lot of people were wondering if WG hated them. :D

But 2017 brought us overbuffed Mausë, buffs to IS-7, Type 5*.

Arty got more bareable (?), TDs and MTs are what they always were and LTs from Tier V onward are absolute thrash.

There are other tank classes in the game that could use another revision, like lights for instance, and instead, I'll dare to say we had more new content about heavies - and there's even more in the making - than anything else.

"Assault guns" or heavy tank destroyers got recently buffed too due to reasons... and the Tier VIII tank with a Tier X gun and chassis.

Is there some sort of heavy tank fanatic up in Minsk?

*Don't bother checking my stats. I'm grinding this line too and so far, it gives me a 5% winrate increase  for tanks in Tier IX. Not 10% as commonly advertised. And this, after 100 battles.

Archaean #2 Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14990 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT
Regarding the heavy buffs, IS-7 got a reasonable buff. Type 4/5 Heavies and the Mäuse are just too ridiculous.

bitslice #3 Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:49 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22293 battles

It's easier to "design" maps this way

draw three vertical splodges, call them "hills" or "ruins" or "city"

the spaces in between is where you drive the tanks up and down.

the only tank that makes sense is a heavy

Dava_117 #4 Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:02 AM

Major

• Player
  • 18506 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

View PostArchaean, on 04 January 2018 - 12:44 AM, said:

Regarding the heavy buffs, IS-7 got a reasonable buff. Type 4/5 Heavies and the Mäuse are just too ridiculous.

IS-7 got overbuffed too, especially on mobility and HP pool.

On topic, I heard that Murazor (that is some kind of boss of WoT team) is a superheavy fan and want his HT to be invincible from the front.

I'm an heavy fan too, but I strongly disagree with this idea of game balance.

Edited by Dava_117, 04 January 2018 - 01:04 AM.

Velvet_Underground #5 Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:05 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 22243 battles
I'd put my money on using them as a credit drain.

TungstenHitman #6 Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:18 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20634 battles

Heavy tanks, by design, are the most noob friendly tanks and most players are noobs. They are more forgiving of noob and stupid playstyle, mistakes, have more hp to take more shots thus last longer and get maybe 1-3 shots per battle instead of 0 with a weaker class and of course have thick armor to bounce shots other classes wouldn't which a noob or thoughtless player will need. They also have some of the biggest guns in the game. 

So my guess is that WG are aware of most players 40 something percent win rate and desire to race to top tiers and that it makes financial sense to pacify and hang on to these noobs and "I don't care to learn how to play, here's money now just gimme a big top tier tank to shoot other tanks" attitude

NoPoet406 #7 Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:25 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2408 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

Hmm, forgot that British heavies have been breathed on for once after all these years. Is the Churchill VII finally improved?

I guess heavy tanks in WoT are like two-handed weapons, heavy armour and the warrior class in Skyrim: other alternatives exist and can be quite fun, but it's obvious what the makers want you to use.

HundeWurst #8 Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:08 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 67720 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

WG need to downscale the heavies again, but knowing WG they will do something mid 2019! yes 2019!

And what is it going to be? Some more buffing left right and centre to keep the wheel of powercreep going.

ZlatanArKung #9 Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:37 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles

View PostWunderWurst, on 04 January 2018 - 02:08 AM, said:

WG need to downscale the heavies again, but knowing WG they will do something mid 2019! yes 2019!

And what is it going to be? Some more buffing left right and centre to keep the wheel of powercreep going.

Downscale heavies? WG doing that? Like ever?

No no, don't be ridiculous,  they will probably see, according to their statistics (same that say Leo would be OP if buffed, and Type 5 is very hard to play) the heavies needs more buff.

JocMeister #10 Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:14 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21748 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

They put a Russian Youtuber in charge of balancing...said Youtuber who has a love for Heavy tanks... Not a big surprise WoT is now all about retarded super heavies. 

evilchaosmonkey #11 Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:00 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16615 battles
  • [EIGHT] EIGHT

Back in 2016 they started murmuring that the player base's biggest complaint was that armour meant nothing any more. 

Wasn't EU as that topic rarely (if ever) came up on the forums. 

This is WG trying to satisfy the player base as they see it to make the game better.

Balc0ra #12 Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64272 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
I suspect since all 2016 everyone complained about armor being useless etc. And now armor is to good because you have to press 2 all the time. Both complaints made by the same people. Their armor don't work, they get mad. But when the enemy armor works, they still get mad.

Toni112007 #13 Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:15 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9769 battles

View PostWunderWurst, on 04 January 2018 - 01:08 AM, said:

Don't touch my E100 :izmena:

View PostTungstenHitman, on 04 January 2018 - 12:18 AM, said:

Heavy tanks, by design, are the most noob friendly tanks and most players are noobs. They are more forgiving of noob and stupid playstyle, mistakes, have more hp to take more shots thus last longer and get maybe 1-3 shots per battle instead of 0 with a weaker class and of course have thick armor to bounce shots other classes wouldn't which a noob or thoughtless player will need. They also have some of the biggest guns in the game. 

So my guess is that WG are aware of most players 40 something percent win rate and desire to race to top tiers and that it makes financial sense to pacify and hang on to these noobs and "I don't care to learn how to play, here's money now just gimme a big top tier tank to shoot other tanks" attitude

And you are unicum player I see?

undutchable80 #14 Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:37 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6964 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNoPoet406, on 04 January 2018 - 01:25 AM, said:

Hmm, forgot that British heavies have been breathed on for once after all these years. Is the Churchill VII finally improved?

No it wasnt. Lots of rework on Tier 8-10 in general (not just the Brits) last year. Wish they would focus some time and energy to the lower & mid tiers. Quite a number of them could use some rework imho...

siramra #15 Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25076 battles
  • [DUXTR] DUXTR

Players like buffs to stuff. So WG buff stuff.

And every buff to armor makes WG really happy.

Why, u might ask?

Prem ammo, is the answer.

The more prem ammo a player use the more creds he/she needs.

So he/she buys stuff for real money.

So if a player sees a Type 4/5....2 key and Type 4/5....gone.

WG happy.

logaritmusnaturalis #16 Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:03 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 1703 battles

View PostDava_117, on 04 January 2018 - 12:02 AM, said:

IS-7 got overbuffed too, especially on mobility and HP pool.

On topic, I heard that Murazor (that is some kind of boss of WoT team) is a superheavy fan and want his HT to be invincible from the front.

I'm an heavy fan too, but I strongly disagree with this idea of game balance.

Yeah it really didn't need that extra hp.

Dex022 #17 Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:18 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38389 battles
Well before my 18.months leave from game a rarely shot premium ammo and now when i started to play again(and sucking at it until i get into form again) the moment i see super heavy it is instant premium all the way. No point in wasting time "aiming for weakspots" with this acc especially against Type4 and Type5 tanks when they instant derp you. Ofc it cost more so i have to play more tier8 premiums AND have premium acc and bots are happy in their super heavy tanks with no skill needed what so ever. WG are not stupid just the opposite,they know EXACTLY what are they doing to get their profits up. 

UrQuan #18 Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 19394 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBalc0ra, on 04 January 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

I suspect since all 2016 everyone complained about armor being useless etc. And now armor is to good because you have to press 2 all the time. Both complaints made by the same people. Their armor don't work, they get mad. But when the enemy armor works, they still get mad.

This really. Tbh, I never felt armor to be underpowered. Yet so many cried 'Armor is useless', because their fancy armor tank didn't stop shells with no effort... Because they didn't even learn the basics of it & how it works...

So finally, WG gives in & now they run into the problem what happens when armor can stop most shells without effort: You got trouble damaging them. Wow, that could totally not be seen.

I played the KV-4 & it was an awesome armored tank, right until late 2016 / early 2017, when they went full on dumb with the armor buffs & OP tanks (and the new MM), making it go from a fine & balanced tank to a powercreeped tank.

Maus imo was also fine before the buffs it got. Not a tank you played for damage, but one you got for either holding back the enemy or for breaking a tough enemy camp. But no, 'armor is useless' & 'Damage is all!' So now we got a steel brick that can lay down the law as well. So people now got what they wanted & scream that Maus is too strong, because darn, who thought buffing a balanced tank would lead to it too hard to tackle.

But no worries, in all it's wisdom, WG has foreseen this rise of armor & released the jap heavies, so you need even less skill to use armored tanks & damaging said tanks. And don't worry, according to WG these tanks are 'hard to play' 

Yes I like armored tanks, but I like it balanced. Needing some skill to do it right, holding the enemy, or breaking their flank by skillful use of the armor/HP combo.

Dr_Oolen #19 Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:22 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20568 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View Postundutchable80, on 04 January 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

No it wasnt. Lots of rework on Tier 8-10 in general (not just the Brits) last year. Wish they would focus some time and energy to the lower & mid tiers. Quite a number of them could use some rework imho...

Im pretty sure tiers 1-7 dont need the kind of rework t8-10 got.

Id rather have tiers 1-7 be imbalanced the way they are now (which means 5% of the tanks are op/broken as [edited]but the rest is all quite well playable/balanced with 10% of tanks being complete trash than have a situation where 25% of the tanks are broken/op as [edited](all of them being heavies/tds requiring gold spam) with 50% of the tanks being complete unplayable trash and 25% of tanks being playable if you spam gold 24/7.

3 years ago, and at that point the dumbing down of the game was already in full swing, i had no issue really taking out any of the tanks i had, except for paper tds without armor, which were at that point too situational to play already so i stopped playing them. But these days id not touch 60% of the tanks in my garage with a 10 m pole because they are completely useless compared to the newest "rebalanced" heavies and i simply refuse to spam gold 24/7 just to feel like im not completely outclassed.

Edited by Dr_Oolen, 04 January 2018 - 10:27 AM.

ExistanceUK #20 Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:23 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 14438 battles
It's the "Steve the IS7 driver" mafia in charge at the moment why is anyone surpprised? Plus look at the kind of players they have as super testers these days (the 46%'ers), so no wonder many things are appearing as OP by the time they hit common test as these players cannot play the tanks to their potential when they check them out on ST.

Edited by ExistanceUK, 04 January 2018 - 10:25 AM.

Also tagged with Heavy Tank, possibly, because, balens

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users