Binocular addict

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Pandabird #1 Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:20 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

I mount Binoculars on any tank that can't reach max view range otherwise.

Been doing this for years. Solo player btw.

Even my IS-3 is sitting there with binocs in garage.

Spoiler

It's just so easy putting it in the third slot, and have adapted my gameplay to get high ground lategame, retreat if i hear the bell, but not if i can "deploy" the view range safely.

Lost some games because of this, won others. All in all i find it a great tool for late game solo pubs.

I need someone to scold me into selling these stupid things and just mount vents or optics. Or are there others like me who love using this removable equipment piece? Pretty much all my TD's use them, all spg's, even some mid tier scouts i use as passive bushmen. all low tiers,,,,, i just noticed i'm using over 40 binoculars because i'm too comfortable to move them around lol :D

Enforcer1975 #2 Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:28 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20445 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I use binocs very very rarely because they only work when you are stationary...

How_hard_can_it_be #3 Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:33 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39999 battles
I used to use binos on EVERY tank for the first 9k battles, including the legendary sniperino tenkus like KV-3, KV-4, IS. Also renowned for their exceptional camo which I skillfully boosted with additional camo net. Oh, and I didn't bother with gun rammer, gld, optics, vert stabs. Fun times.

wiggles #4 Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:39 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 33871 battles
I still have a few tanks I haven't played for years. Every so often I take a peek at their equipment layouts and crew skills; what the hell was I thinking?

Homer_J #5 Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostPandabird, on 08 January 2018 - 01:20 PM, said:

I mount Binoculars on any tank that can't reach max view range otherwise.

There is no max view range.

There is a maximum distance you can spot an enemy but having more view range than max spotting distance is useful as it works against enemy camo.

But is it worth using a slot for if you could have something there which is useful more of the time?  Like vents, rammer, vstab, even optics.

Lord_Edge #6 Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5951 battles

View PostEnforcer1975, on 08 January 2018 - 02:28 PM, said:

I use binocs very very rarely because they only work when you are stationary...

That's why they're great on HTs, something invisible tracks you and just before you start moving again it gets revealed ^^

(it's a joke).

tajj7 #7 Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 24835 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Binos if you have a bad crew and it's got bad view range, like maybe grinding tier 6 and 7 meds. 

But binos on an IS3? not sure what use you are getting from that these days.  I see an argument for optics over vents, but not binos over vents, the added sitting still as well just seems like you are asking for trouble in some situations, as in let me just sit still for 3s to get shot by that thing outspotting me. 

I suppose it's an argument of trying to turn a weakness into something average or making strengths stronger. I just generally accept my Russian heavies will get out spotted but 90% of situations I get in view range is irrelevant and I'd like the extra little boost to everything from vents. 

ApocalypseSquad #8 Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 26257 battles

View Postwiggles, on 08 January 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

I still have a few tanks I haven't played for years. Every so often I take a peek at their equipment layouts and crew skills; what the hell was I thinking?

: :teethhappy:

Me too.  I found a  stealth TD in my collection with no camo skills the other day. I look at some of my choices and wonder what the hell I was thinking?...or drinking...

Pandabird #9 Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

But i mean a good example is my T-44-100.

When bottom tier I use this tank for mid-long range engagements on open maps with great success.

For that to work i'm very often stationary on an elevated position near the middle of the map behind a bush. I get 485 view range with my current setup that has quite a bit of camo on it as well (605 value ingame, rather neat), pseudo scouting bottom tier games. 445 effective + cutdown often surprise other meds/lights nearing my position. For camo to work to its best i also need to stay stationary. On maps like Redshire it has saved my behind more than once. I tend to play overly aggressive but retreat if i'm low on hp and assume support role after a push.

If i was to cut that into optics i'd have 427, below acceptable for spotting role. I might as well mount vents then and go down to 396 which is horrible view range for my playstyle. So i keep my binocs, at least until my crew learns recon. then i might reconsider. 436 isn't that impressive either but perhaps somewhat more useful for active play

Edited by Pandabird, 08 January 2018 - 03:03 PM.

Strappster #10 Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:12 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostPandabird, on 08 January 2018 - 01:20 PM, said:

i just noticed i'm using over 40 binoculars because i'm too comfortable to move them around lol :D

Ekspoint's Auto-Equip, removable equipment swapping mod. It's the only mod I still use and meant I went from 20-something binos to 3 and had a couple of million credits in the bank.

I use optics and binos on a few of my lights to allow me to play active or passive depending on how the game unfolds. Tried them on some SPGs but most don't have the base view range to make it worthwhile, you're still going to be out-spotted so might as well throw a camo net in the third slot to maximise the time you can stay hidden.

tajj7 #11 Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 24835 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostPandabird, on 08 January 2018 - 01:56 PM, said:

But i mean a good example is my T-44-100.

When bottom tier I use this tank for mid-long range engagements on open maps with great success.

For that to work i'm very often stationary on an elevated position near the middle of the map behind a bush. I get 485 view range with my current setup that has quite a bit of camo on it as well (605 value ingame, rather neat), pseudo scouting bottom tier games. 445 effective + cutdown often surprise other meds/lights nearing my position. For camo to work to its best i also need to stay stationary. On maps like Redshire it has saved my behind more than once. I tend to play overly aggressive but retreat if i'm low on hp and assume support role after a push.

If i was to cut that into optics i'd have 427, below acceptable for spotting role. I might as well mount vents then and go down to 396 which is horrible view range for my playstyle. So i keep my binocs, at least until my crew learns recon. then i might reconsider. 436 isn't that impressive either but perhaps somewhat more useful for active play

T-44-100 is a premium so your Russian med crew can't be that good. 

Maxed out you should be able to get 467m view range and as it's prem you can afford to use food. 

Then IMO you have to consider -

• If you are on mid to long range engagements then very likely someone else is doing the spotting, cos by default they are going to be closer.
  • The amount of maps where spotting is viable (which is about 6 these days)
  • The amount of light tanks that around tiers 8-10 which will out spot you even with binos on those maps and will be doing more active spotting than you anyway if they are on your team. 
  • The spotting lost when you are moving, 440 view range all the time spot more than 480m at particular points. 

Your average spots in the T-44-100 is like 1.4, which is ok but it's about half what you do in similar tiered lights. What is your average assistance in these tanks, do you have same tier and similar tanks with optics to compare to?

You also have like near 10 million credits in those binos when you only need one and the mod that auto-equips them. 

Pandabird #12 Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

View Posttajj7, on 08 January 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

T-44-100 is a premium so your Russian med crew can't be that good. 

Maxed out you should be able to get 467m view range and as it's prem you can afford to use food. 

Then IMO you have to consider -

• If you are on mid to long range engagements then very likely someone else is doing the spotting, cos by default they are going to be closer.
  • The amount of maps where spotting is viable (which is about 6 these days)
  • The amount of light tanks that around tiers 8-10 which will out spot you even with binos on those maps and will be doing more active spotting than you anyway if they are on your team. 
  • The spotting lost when you are moving, 440 view range all the time spot more than 480m at particular points. 

Your average spots in the T-44-100 is like 1.4, which is ok but it's about half what you do in similar tiered lights. What is your average assistance in these tanks, do you have same tier and similar tanks with optics to compare to?

You also have like near 10 million credits in those binos when you only need one and the mod that auto-equips them. 

good points, might have to reconsider food use, it does churn out credits quite reliably. As for consumable slots though, that auto extinguisher is absolutely excellent these days because of the 90 sec recharge.

I'd rather save food stuff for organized games like playing CW with STB-1 or BC one day. But running food + optics would indeed make it reach that 445 i want it to

Edited by Pandabird, 08 January 2018 - 03:40 PM.

tajj7 #13 Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:44 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 24835 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostPandabird, on 08 January 2018 - 02:37 PM, said:

good points, might have to reconsider food use, it does churn out credits quite reliably. As for consumable slots though, that auto extinguisher is absolutely excellent these days because of the 90 sec recharge.

I'd rather save food stuff for organized games like playing CW with STB-1 or BC one day. But running food + optics would indeed make it reach that 445 i want it to

How many times have you been set on fire twice?

Also remember re-usable repair kit means no problem repairing fuel tanks. 

Emeraldweed #14 Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8722 battles
  • [-322-] -322-
every time i spectate someone and i hear the binoc/net sound i facepalm IRL. i only use binocs on 1375 and BC12t ( both 3marked and both with also optics equiped) optics is always better given how mobile i am. the only tank i wont put optics or binocs are superheavies like maus or type 5, the rest Optics all the way !

qpranger #15 Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:01 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 31431 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostPandabird, on 08 January 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

Hello group, my name is Pandabird and I am a binoculaholic !

Hello Pandabird ! 

How many binoculars do you consume per day? 

RamRaid90 #16 Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:43 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20546 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Posttajj7, on 08 January 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

How many times have you been set on fire twice?

Also remember re-usable repair kit means no problem repairing fuel tanks. 

Not very often with auto extinguisher since it reduces the chance of being set on fire in the first place.

arjun69 #17 Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 92343 battles

ihave 82 binos installed out of my 125 tanks in garage.

my rules for equipment are as follows:

1. if it can have vents then use vents

2. if it can have rammer then use rammer

3. if its a heavy and can have superheavy spall liner then use that

4. if its a light or td then fit binos

5. if its arty then fit egld and if there is room then camo net

6. if it can fit vertical stabs then fit vertical stabs otherwise fit binos

tier 3 and 4 german light tanks have oculars and binos for some reason.

i use many of my tanks as spotters in the beginning of games regardless of type.

Dava_117 #18 Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:22 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18506 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

View PostRamRaid90, on 08 January 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

Not very often with auto extinguisher since it reduces the chance of being set on fire in the first place.

Just for hitting the engine. If they brocke the fuel tanks, you allways get set on fire.

Edited by Dava_117, 08 January 2018 - 05:23 PM.

250swb #19 Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:44 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21699 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I generally agree the principle of binos for TD's and light tanks only. Although for the fun of using it's 15 degrees of gun depression I did kit out the Strv 74 as a TD with binos (also camo crew and camo net) and it worked very well, much better in fact than with the 'normal' vents, rammer, and GLD. So I've an open mind depending on the tank, but only on the basis of changing the tanks roll.

_T_1_T_4_N_0_ #20 Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28939 battles
  • [SQCI] SQCI

I am sort of the same with lights & tds and have quite a few binnocs, I run vanilla and dont have the equipment mod.

I could move em around manually but entered a few battles after forgetting without equipment and yeah mods make it easy apart from the constant stream of micro updates.

I don't run them on all tanks though and often if binnocs with the 10 sec wait then net also, as if I a going to play that style might as well max it. 

TDs many Binnocs / Net + Rammer is the way to go.
Meds more of an optics player as that 10 sec wait seriously reduces effectiveness. But T6 SH the crommie pack can benefit by one or two employing binnocs.
Heavies never in fact slightly bemused at the idea of the spottng heavy, but hey.

This brings me to lights and if you play SH (Stronghold) binnocs & net are not good as often you are required to go and find & spot.
You can go optics/binnocs/net but then you can be prey to the advantages of vents/rammer/optics/vert stabs and light 1-1 you are vunerable.

In randoms and grand battles optics/binnocs/net could make excellent scouting potential but there is little point for most players.
The awards for XP & Creds are so biased towards DMG either your own or assist that in randoms grand or not pure scouting makes little sense.
Scouting is not dependent on how well you scout, you are purely at the dictate of the team and there support.
Are they going to hit what you spot and are they going to appreciate  and provide you support or just leave you dry on any return fire.

Unless WG starts to give XP & Creds to effective scouting negated by fail teams then the meta will always be that its not worth doing and its better to equip to get dmg and be very mobile.
There should be a spotting pool of XP to be had that isn't purely based on the competence of team mates.
So thats why many will not use binocs and often its optics with some sort of vents/rammer/vert stabs combination.

Edited by DumbNumpty, 08 January 2018 - 06:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users