arty snapshot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

_T_1_T_4_N_0_ #1 Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27097 battles
  • [SQCI] SQCI
How are arty snap shotting with such accuracy on so many occasions?
Is there a mod that zooms focus to new spots or something as often being hit before or on 6th sense going off.
Thats map position aim then fire and dont play arty but at times it just seems incredible that a zigzagging light at 60kph can be hit by arty almost 800m away with relative ease? 

Sfinski #2 Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:17 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 29763 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
What makes you think they are snap shooting? Pre-aiming is quite damn simple. Also the huge splash they got pretty much makes it impossible to miss even a fast moving target.

Gremlin182 #3 Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:28 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 45405 battles

View PostDumbNumpty, on 10 January 2018 - 05:00 AM, said:

Is there a mod that zooms focus to new spots or something as often being hit before or on 6th sense going off.
Thats map position aim then fire and dont play arty but at times it just seems incredible that a zigzagging light at 60kph can be hit by arty almost 800m away with relative ease? 

How many shots miss compared to how many hit.

The reality of WOT is that something happens and its seen as happening all the time.

I once hit a T50-2 light tank moving fast across my line of fire at 200 meters with the 152 derp on my KV2 yep a snapshot that just happened to come off just the right lead and a shot that just happened to fly true.

But its a one off.

Done the same playing SPGs tank driving fast you aim well ahead and take a chance, he will not change course and speed and that the 2 or 3 seconds for your shell to arrive is just right.

Yep it happens but more often than not the tank will escape and the shot will not even stun the target.

_T_1_T_4_N_0_ #4 Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27097 battles
  • [SQCI] SQCI

View PostSfinski, on 10 January 2018 - 05:17 AM, said:

What makes you think they are snap shooting? Pre-aiming is quite damn simple. Also the huge splash they got pretty much makes it impossible to miss even a fast moving target.

Its not pre aiming its tracking or it would seem to be as even in open spaces where you could go any direction sometimes there are amazing hits.
Is arty really accurate on closer distances or something now?
I dunno maybe its just splash and that mechanic that can track with relative repetition and seem like ease.
Guess I just play too many games as it seems a lot. 

Gremlin182 #5 Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:57 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 45405 battles
Suggestion next time there is a test server install the client use the gold, xp and credits they give you to buy a load of SPGs put 100% crews on them and see how they work.

hson_hson #6 Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:32 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6486 battles

View PostGremlin182, on 10 January 2018 - 05:28 AM, said:

How many shots miss compared to how many hit.

Exactly, the battle before the one in the video below, I missed all fully aimed shots on stationary targets and did a total of 100 splash damage with 4 shots (plus 4 that totally missed moving targets)

_T_1_T_4_N_0_ #7 Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27097 battles
  • [SQCI] SQCI

View PostGremlin182, on 10 January 2018 - 05:57 AM, said:

Suggestion next time there is a test server install the client use the gold, xp and credits they give you to buy a load of SPGs put 100% crews on them and see how they work.

I would as great suggestion, just can not stand playing arty just doesn't compute, been over a year doing missions and grinding arty and still not managed to get past the research of T7.
So prob not even just out of curiosity, as don't want to waste any impetus to play the ones I have, which even with mission prob will not. 

Geno1isme #8 Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:04 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 40053 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
It's just RNG.

Balc0ra #9 Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62839 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

If you get hit by arty 800m away, you don't know if he snaps or not tbh. And even if they did. It's no a 0.00% chance to hit the spot you are going to be driving over in 1.5 seconds inside their aim circle is it?. And it's not like pre aiming on a spot in front of you is impossible either if you drive in a predicable pattern. As in a consistent zigzag vs a random one. As 9 out 10 lights do exactly that when I aim in front of them. And if you know the shell travel time at 800m. It's not hard to figure out how far ahead to aim, or even do a simple count test before firing vs your speed.  And since it's arty, you don't need a direct hit either on a zigzag. Even less on high tiers with an 9+ m splash.

_T_1_T_4_N_0_ #10 Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27097 battles
  • [SQCI] SQCI

View PostBalc0ra, on 10 January 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

If you get hit by arty 800m away, you don't know if he snaps or not tbh. And even if they did. It's no a 0.00% chance to hit the spot you are going to be driving over in 1.5 seconds inside their aim circle is it?. And it's not like pre aiming on a spot in front of you is impossible either if you drive in a predicable pattern. As in a consistent zigzag vs a random one. As 9 out 10 lights do exactly that when I aim in front of them. And if you know the shell travel time at 800m. It's not hard to figure out how far ahead to aim, or even do a simple count test before firing vs your speed.  And since it's arty, you don't need a direct hit either on a zigzag. Even less on high tiers with an 9+ m splash.

Prob its the introduction of splash and that generally I only play T8 & above lights and hence we are talking top tier arty and often smaller maps. Being a light you are often much closer to the arty and at 200m - 500m they seem to be able to pull off some amazingly quick shots 

Balc0ra #11 Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:30 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62839 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostDumbNumpty, on 10 January 2018 - 11:18 AM, said:

Prob its the introduction of splash and that generally I only play T8 & above lights and hence we are talking top tier arty and often smaller maps. Being a light you are often much closer to the arty and at 200m - 500m they seem to be able to pull off some amazingly quick shots 

Since the arty nerf and change, most have a shorter aim time and reload to counter the lower alpha vs others. French and British SPG's in general to name some vs higher caliber Russian and US guns. But most have the same splash vs before still. So most can snap better then you think vs before. Even more so that most don't use top guns on them. As stock guns are better for stun missions etc. Take the M53/M54 for instance. With crew skills, equipment and a stock gun. He don't need much time to snap vs before either. Tho splash is way less. And aiming for a second or so on that is enough, vs 4 seconds with the top gun to even have the same chance.

_T_1_T_4_N_0_ #12 Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27097 battles
  • [SQCI] SQCI

View PostBalc0ra, on 10 January 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

Since the arty nerf and change, most have a shorter aim time and reload to counter the lower alpha vs others. French and British SPG's in general to name some vs higher caliber Russian and US guns. But most have the same splash vs before still. So most can snap better then you think vs before. Even more so that most don't use top guns on them. As stock guns are better for stun missions etc. Take the M53/M54 for instance. With crew skills, equipment and a stock gun. He don't need much time to snap vs before either. Tho splash is way less. And aiming for a second or so on that is enough, vs 4 seconds with the top gun to even have the same chance.

I am glad you arty experts are providing such great knowledge as my aversion causes ignorance.
From an av light & med player yeah it has become really noticeable and at times can have me in a WTF arty rage :)
It just doesn't seem to be much of a arty nerf for faster lighter tanks, in fact it feels like a buff.

Edited by DumbNumpty, 10 January 2018 - 11:52 AM.

Gremlin182 #13 Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:11 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 45405 battles

View PostDumbNumpty, on 10 January 2018 - 06:49 AM, said:

I would as great suggestion, just can not stand playing arty just doesn't compute, been over a year doing missions and grinding arty and still not managed to get past the research of T7.
So prob not even just out of curiosity, as don't want to waste any impetus to play the ones I have, which even with mission prob will not. 

advantage of the new system I can now avoid the SPG missions completely but still get the crew member

Phobos4321 #14 Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:20 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42831 battles

it isnt really about aimtime or reload or splash radius it is about the reduced damage, the reduced HE pen. and removal of any non HE shell types

so doing 100-200 damage on a T10 Superheavy  and having a reload of 40+ seconds for that damage is hardly worth it  so if arties cant fight the heavies anymore  its just that their prefference of targets shifted. before  hitting itself was the main trouble  while you would mostly do notable damage if you hit so you preffered large slow tanks 

if you can hardy hurt them and your teammebers might have trouble damaging them on their stun time isnt it rather logical  arties started looking for different targets ?

as such scouts might be penned  to some degree there is a oneshot chance, tracked stunned and your teammates shootingthem are lokely to pen. them  so its increasing your income from your own and from supported damage  on top of that getting rid of the scouts is a form of early selfdefense for arties

when you score a 200 damage hit on a t10 scout with a GWE  you wouldnt exactly think it was buffed

at least it even took away your fear factor

before would a scout rush a arty watching the corner he would have to come around ? most likely not because it would be oneshotted right now  arty might hit the scout doing 600 damage the scout get some stun   but thats it  damage could have saved the arty  but the stun wont

also the improvements were rather minor in nature

GWE for example went from .77 to .71 acc,  got about 2 sec faster reload, splash improved by  ~1.8m + the stun   but on the other side halfed damage and halfed pen.  removal of Ap shells etc so if that comes together the damage was nerfed by 75% + the effect of the armor  

so the old damage on a superheavy might have been    2400-1200 (he non pen ->damage halfed) - 1.1x 300mm (x1.5  if spallliner present) so the damage would have been ~400-600

with the new stuff you  would have some 600- 1.1x 300 (x1.5)  so its more like  130-270 damage left

and this didnt even took into considaration that its now for more unlikely to pen even meds on their side  or roof armor  with about the 53mm HE pen most T10 arties got

i even scored non penetration hits on scouts,  rhm borsigs or grille15 etc with arties like the CGC or the GWE 

PhooBar #15 Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17913 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Posthson_hson, on 10 January 2018 - 06:32 AM, said:

Exactly, the battle before the one in the video below, I missed all fully aimed shots on stationary targets and did a total of 100 splash damage with 4 shots (plus 4 that totally missed moving targets)

Nicely done! 

If that blind shot had re-set the cap, I suspect we would have gotten two arty whine threads, instead of just this one.

Captain_Kremen0 #16 Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36231 battles
Arty aims for LTs because they are usually the danger for spotting them

Enforcer1975 #17 Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:46 PM

General

• Player
  • 18462 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

on so many occasions

You mean the occasions where they hit because you never register the many misses?

NUKLEAR_SLUG #18 Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:56 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26628 battles

Zigzagging lights aren't that hard to hit. Lights that make unpredictable direction changes are much harder to nail. Also a skilled arty player will know how far to aim ahead to account for shell flight-time so even more reason to vary your path.

K_A #19 Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:58 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13566 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 10 January 2018 - 03:56 PM, said:

Zigzagging lights aren't that hard to hit. Lights that make unpredictable direction changes are much harder to nail. Also a skilled arty player will know how far to aim ahead to account for shell flight-time so even more reason to vary your path.

This. If you just zig and then zag and then go back to zig, the arty can easily aim where you will zag next time and get a hit. What you want to do is zig zag zig straight zig straight zag zag handbrake behind the house. 

Aikl #20 Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:02 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

You miss all the shots you don't take. Simple stuff. Arty takes a lot of low-chance shots; chances are it'll be reloaded in time for the next target to appear.

I once managed to overturn my SU-14-2. Wasn't paying attention, and the game was just about lost. In comes a WZ-132. Still on my side. I aim in his general direction in third-person and ...boom. RNGesus saves.

View PostK_A, on 10 January 2018 - 03:58 PM, said:

This. If you just zig and then zag and then go back to zig, the arty can easily aim where you will zag next time and get a hit. What you want to do is zig zag zig straight zig straight zag zag handbrake behind the house. 

But what if I zig when I should've zagged and zag when I should've zigged? Maybe I make two zigs and then three zags? Or maybe I should just 'git gud'?

Jokes aside, turning the turret the opposite way might be enough to confuse a certain portion of arty players. Anyone paying too much attention when playing arty are likely to become insanely occupied with monitoring the movement and habits of their neighbours and the birds outside, and should thus not pose a problem.

Edited by Aikl, 10 January 2018 - 05:09 PM.

Also tagged with arty, snapshot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users