What am I doing wrong?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

templar54 #1 Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:36 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2000 battles
I have a winrate of 47.86 I think. Loss after loss, it just feels so one sided, like we kill 3 of their tanks and my team just gets overrun. I am completely lost at this point, this is just getting frustrating. I mostly use tank destroyers, I try to say back, don't follow lemming trains and support sides that are smaller, but either I manage to do something and the bigger side just somehow manages to loose or my side gets overrun and I die only to watch the rest of the team melt away. Any tips would be appreciated.

Martijn_mk2 #2 Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5840 battles
You could start with following the lemming train.
Theres no point in dying at the lost flank.

arjun69 #3 Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 95595 battles

most of the tds u drive have no turret.

you depend too much on your team to have enough opportunity to shoot something.

AliceUnchained #4 Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:02 PM

General

• Player
  • 38414 battles
  • [322] 322
Provide some replays, let us take a look at what you do and/or don't do while playing. Might help. As advised already, do not try to hold a flank alone or with very small numbers; go with the lemming train, support them in their advance (or stay close when they dig in, not uncommon either). There's strength in numbers.

gunslingerXXX #5 Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11187 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

What am I doing wrong?

You shouldn't care about your winrate

OIias_of_Sunhillow #6 Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:50 PM

Major

• Player
  • 24662 battles

View PostgunslingerXXX, on 11 January 2018 - 06:23 PM, said:

What am I doing wrong?

You shouldn't care about your winrate

As much as I like this statement, it's kinda difficult not to care about win rates when it's thrown back in your face in the forum, constantly, and in game.

Balc0ra #7 Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66525 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Posttemplar54, on 11 January 2018 - 05:36 PM, said:

I mostly use tank destroyers, I try to say back, don't follow lemming trains and support sides that are smaller

Depends. If the enemy has their lemming train there. You going there and getting one shot worth of damage in to slow them down for 3 seconds is not gonna help. If it's a 3 vs 4 there, then sure. But if you don't want to fight it, or can't. Don't stay, fall back and find fellow guns. You holding it alone is not gonna win anything. Or fall back to a spot where you can reset cap etc until you get help. If not, then it's better to help your lemmings win faster. Or one of your lemming groups, so you can get them to turn around faster to help. That is usually better then stalling the enemy alone vs 6+ guns for a few seconds doing little damage. It's a crappy trade either way. And the longer you stay alive vs going Rambo on a flank, the more guns your team has.

Edited by Balc0ra, 11 January 2018 - 07:55 PM.

Slyspy #8 Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:47 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14202 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Posttemplar54, on 11 January 2018 - 05:36 PM, said:

I have a winrate of 47.86 I think. Loss after loss, it just feels so one sided, like we kill 3 of their tanks and my team just gets overrun. I am completely lost at this point, this is just getting frustrating. I mostly use tank destroyers, I try to say back1, don't follow lemming trains and support sides that are smaller2, but either I manage to do something and the bigger side just somehow manages to loose or my side gets overrun and I die only to watch the rest of the team melt away. Any tips would be appreciated.

There is nothing wrong with being an average player. However if you want to improve (and why not?) then maybe the points I've highlighted might be an issue.

1. This is fine with the typical lightly armoured sniping TD. But not all TDs fit that role - some are armoured assault vehicles, especially when top tier. ANd do you hang back to far, especially when the fighting moves off? Do you just sit still waiting for targets which won't come until the rest of the team are dead and you are directly engaged by superior numbers?

2. Supporting a weak flank can work, but if the team has done a real lemming train then you are better of protecting the rear and flanks of the train (with an eye to resetting any cap on your flag) than you are protecting the single tank on the other flank which is just going to get overrun.

Also do you really know how the game works, especially the vision system? If not, read the Wiki for some mostly accurate info: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Tanks

Homer_J #9 Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29025 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Posttemplar54, on 11 January 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

. Loss after loss,

Not really though is it.

Only 40 more wins and you would have a 50% rate.  Less if you consider everyone has some draws.

Pansenmann #10 Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:30 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34341 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

toon up.

preferrably with better players.

profit.

Sebenza #11 Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13652 battles
Predicting when to run if a flank is about to fail and take up another position where teammates can shoot at the same targets as you (or even spot targets for you), will be the biggest difference in netting more wins.
Sometimes you get it wrong and your flank might still win, but even in that situation your winrate will profit.

The trick is to estimate how much in advance to leave a losing flank as it does you no good to get annihilated while running. You need enough time to take up that new position. Imo its better to err on the side of caution as you can always return to the action

Fewt #12 Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:09 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5711 battles

I advise you to watch better players, I learned a lot especially from lemmingrush on youtube.

The best advice he gave me is:

-to watch the map and know when to flee/run.

-don't push/join flanks with only 1 or 2 tanks with you, stay back and wait for the enemy to be spotted and especially watch their positioning

-don't rush to untenable positions

-"view range is everything"

I learned a lot by watching lemmingrush where he positions his type of tank where on the map at what time.

Test your tactics on lower tiers because there are less experienced players and you can make more mistakes. I noticed I wasn't ready for higher tiers so I backed down to playing mixed tier 4-8 instead of just playing tier 8 tanks. And I believe it has been paying off so far. 

For example Lemmingrush loves the T-34-3, I have it as well and my gameplay in that tank was not very good. But I have been watching his T-34-3 gameplay and I have been getting around 1700 WN8 instead of 1300 WN8 out of it. Example Lemmingrush gameplay: https://www.youtube....v=DJdBz3Y79EI

My last 80 battles have been 1987 wn8 instead of my average 1406 for the last 1000 battles. I'd like to believe I'm doing better.

TungstenHitman #13 Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:06 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 23006 battles

Playing tank destroyers is what you are doing wrong. Seriously, that's not me being a dik, TD's at least the turretless ones, are really a burden to play at the moment and I can't see how that's going to change. Most maps are too small for them to effectively snipe without being spotted first shot or else urban maps in which you will have the same getting spotted problem but now you will also have no distance and mumble around corners in a very awkward and inefficient way. 

I started the game playing TDs too and on reflection I would give myself this same advice. Sure they can be great on a map tailored for them but even at that they still rely on a decent scouting teammate and a few other factors so all in all, they are just too much of a liability and frustrating to play now. apart from what I just said being annoying, they also get flanked easy by light tanks and even fast mediums and heavies depending on the TD and there's nothing you can do about it, they just keep shooting your tracks off or "perma-tracking" you which can be done as both tracking and damage at the same time. At least with a turret you can still turn your gun on your attacker who may get himself cornered or be slow enough to get the gun on him so is always a chance and at least make him work for the kill a little more.

Also, I don't think playing TDs will stand to you long term as the playstyle really doesn't apply to much else and you will miss out on all the other tricks a turreted tank can do so playing TDs will ultimately make you a limited player imo since you can't really expand on a TD playstyle they are just a sniper really. Turreted TD's don't apply obviously. Go the Russian and US medium and heavy lines and your game will improve and your winrate too or your money back. Sure the M3 Lee is a bit of a lemon for a new player... actually, I'm grinding the British medium line and they seem ok so take a look at those tank too. :) but stay away from TDs!! and until you get gud, stay away from LTs too, they need experience to play well and come with the burden of scouting and needing to know how

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users