AMX ELC what set up for 2018?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

SastusBulbas #1 Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:54 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35125 battles

Hi all,

In a possible foolish move I trained two female crew members for the AMX ELC. Completely forgetting the previous changes to this tank, and the difference with lights for the last year.

Really only did this as I could not make my mind up where to put them and want to give the ELC a few games again. Hardly played it in the past, think I just grinded the XP it needed to move up to the next tank.

So with the current game balance and changes to the AMX ELC Bis, as in it now can take Vert stab and has a 360deg turret option, what are the experienced players still enjoying this tank running for crew skills and equipment?

Recommended play style?

Cobra6 #2 Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16505 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Recommended playstyle is still mounting the 90mm gun but since your mobility was hammered into the ground for no reason you need to play super careful.

Where before you could run in, shotgun someone in the face and run away again Wargaming decided to give you a mentally handicapped engine so you can barely accelerate anymore, this makes the "running away" part very difficult now.

But the ELC is unfortunately not the only casualty, they basically took all the unique light tanks we had before like the VK2801, 59-16, SP1C and the ELC and took away what made them unique and interesting to play.

So what is left is a bunch of boring run-of-the-mill light tanks that all play the same.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 12 January 2018 - 01:07 PM.

cobalt_killer #3 Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5856 battles

View PostCobra6, on 12 January 2018 - 01:07 PM, said:

So what is left is a bunch of boring run-of-the-mill light tanks that all play the same.

This! I've only just got the ELC but I had the Chaffee before the light tank nerfs.

I can see where the love for the ELC comes from, but since I have only played it recently I can only wonder what it was like before. I certainly notice the slow pickup from the engine after slowing down. You can still do runs but have to maintain the speed or get thrown back to garage.

Had a good one today where I got to the right bush at the right time, spotted 12-13 of the enemy tanks right off the start :D game went a bit meh after that ended up getting shotgunned by the arty.

I currently have the 75mm equipped (not researched the 90mm yet) and run with vents, optics and binocs. I can see why people would opt to  run premium fuel in this to improve engine performance!

ArgentHellion #4 Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8645 battles

Totally agree with Cobra6, ever since the light tank change most of them lost

their unique aspects and became just grinding fillers, especially the ELC and the

Luchs (as I've heard since I don't have a Luchs myself).

The tank is rather sluggish now, it can best be described as a ballerina that

used to be on top of her game but then she got both of her legs broken and

her wounds haven't properly healed, so almost everything she performs she

does with half the effect since.

I haven't had the chance to run into a single player who's still using the top gun

on the ELC anymore, pretty much everybody switched back to pepper sprayer

and reverted to the stock turret, since that one is fully traversible. The only

advantage the ELC has kept over the competition is the low silhouette to hide

in tight ditches and duck under enemy guns. It's definitely no longer fit to perform

active spotting duty, since it lacks the maneuverability to zig-zag and make itself

a toughter target to hit. Pretty much the only thing you can do to survive is to stick

to the shadows, stalk the enemy and kite them. The very moment 6th sense goes

off you burrow yourself into the nearest ditch and pray the artillery isn't narrowing

down on you, which it just might because I personally tend to prioritize light tanks

over others, and buzz off elsewhere after you finished counting to 10.

Personally I play it as an initial-spotter that reverts into a rear-guard as soon as

my cover is blown, and I still use the top gun because the peashooter is just...

bweh...

Edited by ArgentHellion, 15 January 2018 - 07:31 PM.

cobalt_killer #5 Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:18 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5856 battles

Unlocked the 90mm yesterday, it definitely adds a different playstyle to the tank! With the limited gun arc and long aim time it seems to favour either blasting around at speed and shotgunning people to then run away or kemp bush / ambush shots. The 75mm turns it into more of a generic tier 5 light tank with a pea shooter gun to harass people. I personally prefer the 90mm as it gives the ELC a unique playstyle.

I do wonder what equipment to use though, currently have vents, optics and binocs. Don't see the point in a camo net and I'd rather have the view range (optics) and benefit from vents rather than get faster reload on the 90mm which is abysmal anyway... I use binocs for when I am camping in a bush / setting up ambush shots. If I was using the 75mm I may be tempted to swap out the binocs for v-stab.

In terms of crew I currently have 2 female, so BiA, Sixth and training camo on the commander and BiA, Camo and training off-road driving on the driver, focusing on camo and mobility first then view range then gun benefits.

In regards to the engine lacking power I debate buying a load of the 'blue' fuel when consumables are on half-price to try and compensate for this, however I'd probably be better off just forking out for premium food if I want a consumable upgrade...

Dru_UK #6 Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:50 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6562 battles

Argent sums it up brilliantly,

Far to sluggish now for hit and run tactics.

resist the urge to rush forward (think mines) you don't get their first anymore and as a result you would end up facing 2 or 3 substandard pee shooter tanks that will shread you with in your one reload.

Don't think its a real keeper anymore - just skip by it and head on up the tree (or maybe just use it to train the crew quickly a bit) before transferring them upwards.

ederfe #7 Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17050 battles

I have been contemplating on reaquiring the ELC. I kind of enjoy playing an underdog craptank from time to time. And the current ELC does get a fair share of hate. :) I just have too many grindprojects and very limited playtime atm.

View Postcobalt_killer, on 18 January 2018 - 11:18 AM, said:

I do wonder what equipment to use though, currently have vents, optics and binocs. Don't see the point in a camo net and I'd rather have the view range (optics) and benefit from vents rather than get faster reload on the 90mm which is abysmal anyway... I use binocs for when I am camping in a bush / setting up ambush shots. If I was using the 75mm I may be tempted to swap out the binocs for v-stab.

I would think v-stabs would go well with the shotgunning if you do it on the move as well as the kiting. Faster fully aimed when in position.

My setup will be 90mm with binos (that alone goes to 445m viewrange), v-stabs and either rammer or optics. Optics is nice but I reckon the activespottingdays with the Elc are over. But good for late game I suppose.

Afdass #8 Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12991 battles
Played the tank after the nerfs with the 75mm gun. Was quite playable with that gun and the 360º turret helped a lot in many situations, where you would be dead if you were using the 90mm gun.

gunslingerXXX #9 Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:51 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 12443 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

I recommend to park it in a dark corner of your garage and don't look at it too often, to avoid feeling sad. 

I've retrained my 2 girls for the amx 13 90, and added a 3rd from missions. But any of the tier 6-9 french lights I prefer over the ELC now.

Edited by gunslingerXXX, 31 January 2018 - 08:52 PM.

Ragnaguard #10 Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 55396 battles
  • [MOUFA] MOUFA

ELC AMX is not a light tank now.

Mount cammo net, gun rammer and vents and play it as a fairly mobile long range td.

the superior cammo is only feat that survived the hate of all those that couldn't just shoot the tiny fragile frenchie

DD313 #11 Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:26 AM

Private

• Player
  • 25341 battles
  • [SKS_] SKS_

I can only say: 

R.I.P. ELC

Commandera Morel and Driver Morel

died hand in hand, in 9.18.

Wehnever I see you, it makes me sad.

I think the time of ELC is gone.

Edited by DD313, 22 February 2018 - 01:29 AM.

Anthony_1972 #12 Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:58 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9812 battles

I went back from the 90mm to the 75mm.    The 90mm seems great on paper, but lack of a 360 deg. turret makes it very situational. 

You can have great games in it, but you can also be totally useless.   You can snipe, but it's almost impossible to fire at other lights that circle you.  

The 75mm is more allround, and allows better peak and scoot.  It allows to kill those pesty suicide scouts, that would massacre your 90mm ELC.  I seem to be more consistent with it.  

It's nice that you have 2 guns that are really a choice, and not just the top gun being better in every aspect than the other gun.   

P.S.  I think the ELC is perfectly fine how it is.  It was a good thing it was nerfed...  It was ridiculously OP before.   Now it is perfectly fine as a tier V light. 

Lycopersicon #13 Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:36 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10747 battles
75-mm gun and optics+vstab+rammer is my choice. It is a fairly generic light tank; with its ludicrous camo rating, it actually feels too strong for its tier, at least when played with a girl crew.

Edited by Lycopersicon, 27 February 2018 - 05:08 PM.

__Z7__ #14 Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:58 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8183 battles

ELC EVEN 90 needs a buff. mainly aimtime and HP, and speed, don't buy it until he get buffed

doctorfrag #15 Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:24 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 31011 battles

I'm quite enjoying this one. The nerfs have been significant and really damaged the speed and acceleration so I run 105 fuel with it that helps.

The playstyle changes completely depending upon the gun, the 75mm is more user friendly and it makes the tank a weak T67, but straightforward to play

I found despite the 90mm being almost fixed turret I was getting higher damage games in it and have stuck with this and plays like a sneaky TD, or like a mini E25.

You have to think and play a lot harder with the 90mm but managed to 3 mark the tank with this gun.

Edited by doctorfrag, 02 May 2018 - 08:36 AM.

Negativvv #16 Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11576 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

AMX 12t is the answer...

Well done to anyone who's got 3 Marks with the half rotation 90mm turret! :medal:

Drumefy #17 Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:19 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9351 battles
  • [JIZZ] JIZZ

View PostNegativvv, on 02 May 2018 - 07:28 AM, said:

Well done to anyone who's got 3 Marks with the half rotation 90mm turret! :medal:

I did. It was an amazing experience. ELC was the best tank in this game, pure fun.

After the nerf I completely stopped playing the tank despite having over 700 battles on it. It got completely destroyed.

The tank lost 20% of its HP, 30% of it's penetration and 28% of horsepower plus reload time is 15% longer. It's useless compared to pre-9.18.

Bordhaw #18 Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:39 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14128 battles

View PostArgentHellion, on 15 January 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

I haven't had the chance to run into a single player who's still using the top gun

on the ELC anymore, pretty much everybody switched back to pepper sprayer

and reverted to the stock turret, since that one is fully traversible. 

Finally got around to playing this French light yesterday. Got all the modules and a 50% first skill crew straight into Lakeville. And what what is this I thought my turret was broken already! I didnt know the 90mm was a limited traverse effort .... noob... lmao. I don't enjoy TD's so I'll swap it out. 

Snaques #19 Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30331 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

Three marked the ELC today. I never played it pre 9.18 so I can only imagine how it was back then. Today it is fine, but nothing special. At first I tried it with the 90mm, but that was just painful. Eventually I put the 75mm on it and after that it was ok and rather fun. The turret travese with 90mm was just awful and really limited it's capabilities. Though I have to admit that I hate all derpy guns and use the 90mm also on the T49.

I used the rammer, optics and binos. The view range is just atrocious so if you want to do any spotting the binos are a must.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users