Crew skills once you get by the 3rd skill, your opinions?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

SastusBulbas #1 Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:26 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 33877 battles

Hi all,

Just been looking at some old crews and thinking to myself, when has that skill been usefull, which made me wonder, has anyone changed their views on perks once you get to 3rd/4th skill and above.

An example, very few crew members have fire training, as an example the crew in question that had me pondering was my IS-3 crew, it has armourer, but never really notice it as I repair the gun, jack of all trades but I use a med kit, adrenaline rush but I cannot recall being under 10% hp and needing a shell quicker. Skill sI never notice in use.

With that I am considering other skills for my IS-3 crew, intuition because sometimes I switch, Recon though view range is poor, deadeye maybe?

Liviguy #2 Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:38 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12461 battles
Some people train the crew with the “firefighting” skill in order to get rid of the fire extinguisher and free up a slot for food or another consumable.

Erwin_Von_Braun #3 Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:40 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37324 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Very much one of those 'ask 100 different people and you will get 200 different answers'

Hope that helps :)

NUKLEAR_SLUG #4 Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:29 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27500 battles
After your 3 most important ones it's pretty much do whatever seems fun at the time.

_T_1_T_4_N_0_ #5 Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28939 battles
  • [SQCI] SQCI
Depends on Class with Heavies & Art prob needing the least.
Lights & Meds the question might be after your 4th skill.

A big question is BIA (Brothers In Arms, Sisters...) as it does nothing until every crew member has it at 100%.
For me its a vents + BIA question its a stack that often I do if the tank can have vents.

Fire skills for me is usually the very last on a fully pimped crew where yeah I might drop the extinguisher & run food which also stacks with BIA + Vents.
Isn't really a replacement but on most tanks the fire hit occasion overall is much less than the food advantage.

Edited by DumbNumpty, 13 January 2018 - 04:11 AM.

Hedgehog1963 #6 Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:57 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 50856 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
A lot depends on whether your commander is also radio operator (situational awareness) and whether you happen to think BIA is worth much.  Also camo is worthwhile on LTs and SPGS and some TDs.

clixor #7 Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:28 AM

Major

• Player
  • 50380 battles

View PostDumbNumpty, on 13 January 2018 - 04:10 AM, said:

Fire skills for me is usually the very last on a fully pimped crew where yeah I might drop the extinguisher & run food which also stacks with BIA + Vents.
Isn't really a replacement but on most tanks the fire hit occasion overall is much less than the food advantage.

Yeah i agree, fire skills depend on the tank and in particular how often it gets burned. If it's like 1 in 100 battles it's pretty ok in my book to use food if i want/need that on that tank. But loader/radio operator generally have useless skills after their 3rd so in general i train at least one of them in firefighting at that point.

>With that I am considering other skills for my IS-3 crew, intuition because sometimes I switch, Recon though view range is poor, deadeye maybe?

Intuition only has a CHANCE to load other ammo type, you can't count on it so skill isn't a priority. Recon should be always trained. Deadeye is nice to have, but the actual increasement of crit hit is marginal, and better suited for fast firing/reloading tanks. Snap shot is much better as you'll always have the benefit of that.

And besides perks, then there are repair and camo. Repair on an IS3 is pretty important as well. On some meds you could argue either camo or repair.

ZlatanArKung #8 Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:41 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles
After the crucial 3 for heavyes/armoured tanks.

1: Repair + SS
2: BIA
3: Viewrange + gunhandling + safe stowage

And the crucial 4 for LT/MT
1: Repair + SS
2: Camo
3: BIA
4: Viewrange + gunhandling + safe stowage

Just do whatever you want.
I would recommend firefighting.

ederfe #9 Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:33 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14467 battles
An option would be not to assign any skills and let the exp gather and just retrain for other vehicles with silver without the primary skill drop. :) Not saying it's wise, but it is an option. The 4th skill gains are going to be marginal anyway.

SastusBulbas #10 Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 33877 battles

Well the IS-3 crew has 3 100% skills with the 4th at 71%, Jack of All trades seems less usefull than situational awareness, my thinking being any bonus from assist damage etc due to the extended view range even when brawling?

I am quite happy to have all repair at 71%. So it's just about making sure I am using beneficial perks/skills in the three 100% slots. Leave cammo till a 4th slot if nothing better with fire training bringing up the rear if I ever get there.

With the IS-3 type tanks I had initially thought a brawler crew would be noticeable, but just never seeing Armourer and Jack of All in effect especially since the re-usable consumables changed the effectiveness of armourer and jack of all, though I am sure more view range may be welcome IF it increases XP and Credits.

I have used the intuition perk on other tanks and seen the instant change, though I usually time ammo change reloads and think ahead based on whats on the mini map, tank tier and intuition.

Dead Eye I agree is better suited to faster rates of fire though again it's difficult to judge the impact and even notice it if removed.

Will probably stick with auto Fire Ex simply to save credits. I have a few tanks that barely cover costs due to food consumables.

Edit, I am even thinking of combining Off Road and Clutch Braking to replace smooth ride?

Edit, I just changed em all, maybe a waste of gold, but why not try a change.

Commander. BIA, 6th Sense, Situational Awareness, Repair.   (Changed Jack Of All to Situational)

Gunner.        BIA, Snap Shot, Deadeye, Repair.   (Changed Armourer to DeadEye)

Driver.          BIA, OffRoad, Clutch, Repair.   (Changed Smooth Ride to Clutch)

Loader.        BIA, Safe Stowage, Adrenaline, Repair.  (No change)

All had repair as a 3rd at 100% now 4th at 72%

Edit, 1st game and I have spotting and assist, being in a pack I think i got the heads up just that little quicker, maybe wishful thinking though, but that extra view may earn its way more than Jack of all.

Couple more games, clutch came in handy as it allowed me to keep my pike nose in front of a circling low and later a med, noticed a slightly tighter more manouverable turn but could be placebo, noticed more gun bloom when stopping to aim, again all slight differences, maybe placebo as I am looking for them.

And 1st game where Jack of All may have been the difference between one more shot after a double gang arty fest destroyed my gunner twice.

Edited by SastusBulbas, 13 January 2018 - 02:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users