Jump to content


Chi-Ri worth to skip?


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Chi-Ri Grind (24 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Skip the Chi-Ri?

  1. Yes (8 votes [33.33%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 33.33%

  2. No (14 votes [58.33%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 58.33%

  3. Voted Partially/other (please explain) (2 votes [8.33%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote Hide poll

Brazilski #1 Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 7188 battles
  • 1,118
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011

So I'm about to unlock the Chi-Ri, but I'm not looking forward to it. The mobility, size, armor and penetration of the Chi-To are allready less than stellar, and the Chi-Ri's seem to be even worse respectively for its tier. Bouncing on the sides of tier VII's is not a nice prospect with tier IX matchmaking. It might have an autoloader, but three shells doing zero damage still equals zero damage. Good gun depression also means very little without turret armour and a size and speed that together spell out "arty fodder".

 

I do however, have over 122.000 free exp. points accumulated (never use free exp. for anything), and I was wondering whether this gem of a tank might actually be bad enough to skip alltogether. What exp. would be left would help towards getting the STA-1 to be playable.



leggasiini #2 Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 15163 battles
  • 6,237
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    12-01-2012

The Chi-Ri can be quite fun but it's not a very good tank as whole.

 

However, the Jap MT line as whole is overall lackluster and nothing after the Chi-Ri is particurarly good. The end reward is nothing spectacular either due to the severe powercreep, other than it's amazing looks. I would advice you to try the Chi-Ri, you might be actually surprised as there a few who like it, but if you hate it, then yeah, you can just free XP it. I would recommend to free XP at least to the autoloader gun because without that the Chi-Ri is just fatter Chi-To tier higher.

 

However, the line is not really something that is worth wasting free XP on, IMO, as just like I already said, the tanks after the Chi-Ri are not just good either. STA-1 is just typical lackluster 240 alpha med (it has 275 HEAT but in return shitty speed + no armor), and Type 61 has it's issues as well. STB-1 is powercreeped by most other NATO mediums, tho WG said that they have some plans for it, but nobody knows exactly what. 

 

Whatever you do, save Free XP for the STA-1's modules because the stock gun is horrible


Edited by leggasiini, 13 January 2018 - 07:50 PM.


FluffyRedFox #3 Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:43 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 23894 battles
  • 8,707
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    12-05-2012
Voted yes, however the same problems will still apply to the tank after it, the STA-1 - An unremarkable tank within its own matchmaking that gets uptiered a lot, but I guess its worth noting that STA-1 will always have the option of 275 pen HEAT for tier X games while Chi Ri is shafted with ~180 pen AP. 

Brazilski #4 Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:30 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 7188 battles
  • 1,118
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011

View Postleggasiini, on 13 January 2018 - 06:58 PM, said:

The Chi-Ri can be quite fun but it's not a very good tank as whole.

 

However, the Jap MT line as whole is overall lackluster and nothing after the Chi-Ri is particurarly good. The end reward is nothing spectacular either due to the severe powercreep, other than it's amazing looks. I would advice you to try the Chi-Ri, you might be actually surprised as there a few who like it, but if you hate it, then yeah, you can just free XP it. I would recommend to free XP at least to the autoloader gun because without that the Chi-Ri is just fatter Chi-To tier higher.

 

However, the line is not really something that is worth wasting free XP on, IMO, as just like I already said, the tanks after the Chi-Ri are not just good either. STA-1 is just typical lackluster 240 alpha med (it has 275 HEAT but in return shitty speed + no armor), and Type 61 has it's issues as well. STB-1 is powercreeped by most other NATO mediums, tho WG said that they have some plans for it, but nobody knows exactly what. 

 

Whatever you do, save Free XP for the STA-1's modules because the stock gun is horrible

 

I've heard about the STD-1 and its notorious underperformance, but I didn't actually intend to go beyond the STA-1. As I play purely clanless freemium (I probably should have mentioned that), tier VIII is about the highest you can go while playing leisurely.

 

This is also what makes the STA-1 quite an attractive option: originally I was going for the Centurion Mk.1, but it's perhaps an even juicier target than the Japanese meds, and the STA-1's gun is much cheaper because of lower shell costs. Also, the STA-1 looks better.

 

View Postfishbob101, on 13 January 2018 - 07:43 PM, said:

Voted yes, however the same problems will still apply to the tank after it, the STA-1 - An unremarkable tank within its own matchmaking that gets uptiered a lot, but I guess its worth noting that STA-1 will always have the option of 275 pen HEAT for tier X games while Chi Ri is shafted with ~180 pen AP. 

 

Again, I should probably have mentioned playing purely clanless freemium. I usually carry some premium shells paid for with silver, but I'm not exactly tossing them around like a salad either. As such, I'm mostly stuck with 155 pen. on the Chi-Ri, which is just atrocious.

 

Even so, if I would have more silver to burn, 155 base pen. is simply not acceptable on tier VII, especially not when combined with comparatively poor mobility, as it means you'll need to up to premium shells even for same-tier encounters.



Nishi_Kinuyo #5 Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 7851 battles
  • 4,517
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011
Not a tank you should skip, imo.

leggasiini #6 Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 15163 battles
  • 6,237
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    12-01-2012

I would just abandon the line altogether if your not going for the STB-1. STA-1 is just so mediocre for a tier 8 MT, and absolutely not a reason to grind a line to get that thing. Not to mention its a tier 8 and without premium its not really profitable, anyway. Centurion I is just flat out better nowadays, basically at every way imaginable so go for that instead.

 

If you want to somewhat cheap-ish tier 8 to run, either a high-pen TD, LT, arty or the O-Ho with derp is your best bet

 

 



FluffyRedFox #7 Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:51 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 23894 battles
  • 8,707
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    12-05-2012

View PostBrazilski, on 13 January 2018 - 08:30 PM, said:

 

This is also what makes the STA-1 quite an attractive option: originally I was going for the Centurion Mk.1, but it's perhaps an even juicier target than the Japanese meds, and the STA-1's gun is much cheaper because of lower shell costs. Also, the STA-1 looks better.

Centurion 1 is significantly better than the STA-1 - Cent 1 is more mobile, faster, has a better gun (that requires less premium usage as its 226mm base pen), as well as a 254mm thick turret so if you hulldown, you're quite a tough target in even tier 9 games. If you're wanting a tier 8 medium and aren't interested in progressing further, I'd recommend selling the Chi Ri now and moving over to the Brit mediums. Save the free xp and use it on the Cent 1, as that when stock is an utter tragedy.



Sojuz_27 #8 Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:51 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 14924 battles
  • 47
  • Member since:
    10-11-2012
Chi-Ri has been a lot of fun to me, but only when playing as top tier, otherwise it's a pain in the arse.

Lycopersicon #9 Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:37 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 10610 battles
  • 3,570
  • Member since:
    07-30-2014
Chi-Ri is the only tank I have played (EDIT: scratch that, I suddenly remembered SARL) that I would consider skipping with free xp if I had to play the line second time. Would probably still not do it :) Some people actually like this tank, but I found it bloody awful. Size and mobility of a superheavy, coupled with paper thin armour and a gun that cannot penetrate most same tier heavy tanks. Artillery will crap on you all day, unless you hide in a heavy tank den where enemy heavies will happily gobble up your hitpoints without taking a scratch.

Edited by Lycopersicon, 28 February 2018 - 07:10 PM.


Abusemtex #10 Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 26256 battles
  • 1,953
  • [-RED-] -RED-
  • Member since:
    02-05-2011

As mentioned above the japanese MT line has been powercreeped stronk.

Once the STB was really good with amazing DPM but I guess the AMX is more flexible and the Obj-U is just well - russian.

 

I hate my Chi-Ri with passion. Owning the STA-2 I see no reason to grind that line any longer.



Hamsterkicker #11 Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:57 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 34878 battles
  • 607
  • [TEAMB] TEAMB
  • Member since:
    08-08-2011

Japanese meds are a thing of the past completely. They have never been really popular but nowadays I can't even remember seeing more than a handful in a month of playing and when I see them they are not  doing particularly well

 

The new meta at tier 7 and 8 is armor and alpha, as you will be matched up with Tier IX and X most of the time.  These things have neither.

 

The Chi-Ri is really good though for the set fire to tanks missions in the personal campaign. Best autoloader for that job I would say.. Burn baby burn.

 

Oh and I almost forgot to add that the stock STA-1 is horrible to play, so save any free XP to unlock the better modules for that tank..

 

 

 


Edited by Hamsterkicker, 07 March 2018 - 08:58 AM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users