Holiday Ops - Some Constructive Feedback

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Erwin_Von_Braun #1 Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37317 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

So, it's finally finished (Christmas decorations in the middle of January just seems weird).

What do we think?

Personally, I enjoyed it immensely - a continuous +48% across the board was relatively easy to achieve and very welcome - helped me along with a couple of grinds.

The Festive Level rewards were nothing short of superb - free tonks, big discounts, lots of freebies and some extremely useful female crew.

A touch misogynistic (You've won a prize - here, have a free female):sceptic: is about the only gripe I can come up with.

The Hardon Decorator (or Peter North as I like to call it) seems to have been the most controversial aspect of the whole enterprise, there were definitely times when it's randomness was very much against, I'm guessing with the idea of encouraging you to buy loot crates.

Nothing wrong with that in principal - only bought one set of 11 boxes myself and got some pretty decent rewards (three free tier iv's, gold, prem time etc) and I definitely didn't buy the Type-59 hype.

Ended up with one Clown/Xmas cam which I'm saving for the Maus when I eventually get round to it (stupid tonk deserves stupid cam) and, not surprisingly I fell 30 shards short of a second set (purely coincidental I'm sure).

So, to sum up - a great special - far superior to last year in every aspect and I will never tire of hearing the words Level 5 Snowman:D

GG WG

WP:medal:

jack_timber #2 Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:43 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32355 battles

I thought it was better than last year's event, +48% is going to be hard to live without though.

The only slight problem, well operator error, I was breaking some decorations last night and saw there was 3 leval 5s sitting waiting to be smashed so without thinking smashed the lot only to find I had replaced these leval 5s with leval 2s so back to 36% I went. What a SOB I felt...

Erwin_Von_Braun #3 Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:50 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37317 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postjack_timber, on 14 January 2018 - 08:43 PM, said:

I thought it was better than last year's event, +48% is going to be hard to live without though.

The only slight problem, well operator error, I was breaking some decorations last night and saw there was 3 leval 5s sitting waiting to be smashed so without thinking smashed the lot only to find I had replaced these leval 5s with leval 2s so back to 36% I went. What a SOB I felt...

Was there alcohol involved?:facepalm:

Erwin_Von_Braun #4 Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:52 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37317 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Update:

Just stripped my tree of all it's decorations - went for the last Level V for Modern Christmas and the Randomizer gave me the right one!:ohmy:

Now I have TWO sets of camo I'm not likely to ever use:facepalm:

Barba_Electrica #5 Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17878 battles

------------------------------------

Edited by Barba_Electrica, 05 March 2018 - 02:42 PM.

Balc0ra #6 Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:02 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64272 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
What they really, really, really need to sort out and add for next year is a open all function. And show what you had in those 10 or 20 or 40 boxes. No one wants to spend 20 min opening all. And a destroy all button. As after you have opened up 40 boxes, you need to select the 120 decorations you got from it, one by one. So more time wasted.

Erwin_Von_Braun #7 Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37317 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBalc0ra, on 14 January 2018 - 09:02 PM, said:

What they really, really, really need to sort out and add for next year is a open all function. And show what you had in those 10 or 20 or 40 boxes. No one wants to spend 20 min opening all. And a destroy all button. As after you have opened up 40 boxes, you need to select the 120 decorations you got from it, one by one. So more time wasted.

A minor inconvenience, but certainly wouldn't hurt to make that kind of tweak.:)

Thuis001 #8 Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:12 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5910 battles
  • [-SBN-] -SBN-

true, I had 147 deco's left and had to click all of them which was fairly annoying. The same for larger amounts of chests. So perhaps next year allow people to either open them 1 by 1 or to open them all at once. That would certainly be nice. The 48% bonus was really nice, as for once it felt like you were getting a fair price for a good game and it allowed me to grind through some tanks. Something that is more of a sidenote: The teams during the Christmas period were often horrendous, heck they often were so bad that weekend teams seemed to exist out of just Unicorns which made playing often a real pain. If this could be fixed together with perhaps (really hope this will become a thing in 2018) a PvE mission like the ones in WoWS then next X-Mas will be a really fun event.

Jamadeus #9 Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:16 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17340 battles
  • [LOC-X] LOC-X

I liked it too. I didn't do great but there again I never do. I bought a couple of boxes, got some crew and tanks, lots of silver and had fun.

Erwin_Von_Braun #10 Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:19 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37317 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostThuis001, on 14 January 2018 - 09:12 PM, said:

true, I had 147 deco's left and had to click all of them which was fairly annoying. The same for larger amounts of chests. So perhaps next year allow people to either open them 1 by 1 or to open them all at once. That would certainly be nice. The 48% bonus was really nice, as for once it felt like you were getting a fair price for a good game and it allowed me to grind through some tanks. Something that is more of a sidenote: The teams during the Christmas period were often horrendous, heck they often were so bad that weekend teams seemed to exist out of just Unicorns which made playing often a real pain. If this could be fixed together with perhaps (really hope this will become a thing in 2018) a PvE mission like the ones in WoWS then next X-Mas will be a really fun event.

We shall see what they do with it.

Personally, I hope they stick with this format but WG being WG, I suspect next year will be completely different!

TheComfyChair #11 Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6751 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
It was amusing but as an ex-bookie I would like to point out ... When the fun stops... .stop!  ...or bollox to that and buy ALL the BOXES !!  :justwait:

Erwin_Von_Braun #12 Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:21 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37317 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostJamadeus, on 14 January 2018 - 09:16 PM, said:

I liked it too. I didn't do great but there again I never do. I bought a couple of boxes, got some crew and tanks, lots of silver and had fun.

Fun is the key word there - as long as the whole thing isn't a chore, then it's all good :)

Uebergewicht #13 Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
  • [ATD] ATD

Same here. Enjoyed the event a lot, lots of really useful bonuses and the delicious 48% boost to everything. I share the common gripes:

- Decorider was a huge step up from last year, but randomness still remains and can really screw you over if you cant get the items you need with the limited shards available

- cap on the shards missions: I get they want people to play over several weeks, but to get at least a few boxes for continuous playing after the initial missions are done would be really helpful

- UI improvements needed: open all presents and smash all decorations buttons are serverly needed

- seemed pretty impossible to complete collections without buying boxes or huge luck

- loot boxes in general are always kinda iffy, though these ones were comparatively fair with guaranteed gold - and its a free to play game after all

Davey_B_Pants #14 Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:45 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15648 battles

Although I enjoyed it, the reward for completing a collection is a bit.... meh. Emblems and camo for all that work? I have 2 camos but no T8 premiums or T10 tanks to put them on. :)

Also have 281 decorations left but breaking them up won;t be enough to complete another collection :/

Edited by Davey_B_Pants, 14 January 2018 - 10:47 PM.

Erwin_Von_Braun #15 Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:47 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37317 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostUebergewicht, on 14 January 2018 - 09:32 PM, said:

Same here. Enjoyed the event a lot, lots of really useful bonuses and the delicious 48% boost to everything. I share the common gripes:

- Decorider was a huge step up from last year, but randomness still remains and can really screw you over if you cant get the items you need with the limited shards available

- cap on the shards missions: I get they want people to play over several weeks, but to get at least a few boxes for continuous playing after the initial missions are done would be really helpful

- UI improvements needed: open all presents and smash all decorations buttons are serverly needed

- seemed pretty impossible to complete collections without buying boxes or huge luck

- loot boxes in general are always kinda iffy, though these ones were comparatively fair with guaranteed gold - and its a free to play game after all

I wonder if anyone managed to complete a set without buying any boxes?

Erwin_Von_Braun #16 Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:50 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37317 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDavey_B_Pants, on 14 January 2018 - 09:45 PM, said:

Although I enjoyed it, the reward for completing a collection is a bit.... meh. Emblems and camo for all that work? I have 2 camos but no T8 premiums or T10 tanks to put them on. :)

Also have 281 decorations left but breaking them up won;t be enough to complete another collection :/

That was a bit odd, but it's the inbetweenies that mattered the most.

+48%

Free Tonks and all the other little freebies.

And the Tier IX & X discounts were very welcome (came just at the right time too!)

Aim_Away_From_Face #17 Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31324 battles

- 17 boxes

- all tier 8's

- all tier 4's

- 2 weeks-ish of premium

- 10k-ish gold

- 2 lots of camo from the sets (chinese it friggin epic!)

- muchos grinds shortened thanks to +48% across the board

- sitting with 21 million credits and a 30% discount on a tier 10 

- 4 (or was it 5) female crew

Very, very happy with it.

Edited by Aim_Away_From_Face, 14 January 2018 - 10:53 PM.

Erwin_Von_Braun #18 Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:00 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37317 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostAim_Away_From_Face, on 14 January 2018 - 09:53 PM, said:

- 17 boxes

- all tier 8's

- all tier 4's

- 2 weeks-ish of premium

- 10k-ish gold

- 2 lots of camo from the sets (chinese it friggin epic!)

- muchos grinds shortened thanks to +48% across the board

- sitting with 21 million credits and a 30% discount on a tier 10

- 4 (or was it 5) female crew

Very, very happy with it.

All Tier VIII's !

You jammy sod!

sgtYester #19 Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53370 battles
  • [RANGF] RANGF

this special really showed how much credit income has sank.

finaly felt like days of yore when doind a good prem tank battle and actually got 125k  credits

even managed a whopping 225k with the mauerbrecher:   http://wotreplays.eu...01_mauerbrecher

PowJay #20 Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34907 battles

Well, I didn't pay a single penny this year. I got to level 10 in the first (or early second) week. So that meant credits back on two free tanks (II and III) plus a free T-28 and T1 Heavy. I used the discounts to buy the M103 and Grille 15 and I put the other three discounts on Chinese TDs which are not researched yet.

Four new female crew members means a full crew for the lkv 90B, plus one extra for the Grille 15, so that I have full female crew on that as well.

I only reached 48% with two sets of decorations, but all bonuses were welcome. I didn't tend to do much grinding for XP or crew, but the credits were most useful. I played a lot of tier IV for the simple tasks, and did get to tier VI for the others, where I can still make money.

I didn't get any Christmas camo, and I don't care. I had no interest in splashing cash on the boxes. I mostly suck at tier VIII and above anyway, so I am not bothered by the chance to win a Premium tank and I don't need the gold all that much at present.

Edited by PowJay, 15 January 2018 - 11:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users