Does HE do more dmg vs modules?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

brumbarr #1 Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

So I was looking around playing with the stats of the T100, since I wanted to get as much assist as possible, I thought I should load some HE shells to track enemies with, since the gun is so low caliber it might not track in 1 shot.

The module dmg of the AP shell is 135,  track HP on most tanks is something like 200+. 

So I checked the HE shells on tanks.gg and the dmg vs modules doesnt change. Which seems very odd to me [edited]HE has higher dmg so why not higher dmg against modules? Does anyone know is tanks.gg is wrong or what the module dmg of HE trully is? I couldnt find anything on the wiki. 

Balc0ra #2 Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62814 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Well module damage is based on gun, not ammo. Unlike shells etc. As for HE doing more damage? iirc HE when you fully pen gets a 45 degree damage cone upon impact based on splash radius etc. Any internal module in that cone has a chance to get damaged based on how much on the normal % chance you have do damage each one etc. Cone appears on the outside of the tank if you don't pen. AP more or less relies on hitting the module directly. And just does damage to anything in it's path. Vs anything in the impact radius. So you could say yes, if you get more modules in the cone, vs in the AP's path.

Edited by Balc0ra, 15 January 2018 - 03:43 PM.

commer #3 Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38080 battles

View Postbrumbarr, on 15 January 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

So I was looking around playing with the stats of the T100, since I wanted to get as much assist as possible, I thought I should load some HE shells to track enemies with, since the gun is so low caliber it might not track in 1 shot.

The module dmg of the AP shell is 135,  track HP on most tanks is something like 200+. 

So I checked the HE shells on tanks.gg and the dmg vs modules doesnt change. Which seems very odd to me [edited]HE has higher dmg so why not higher dmg against modules? Does anyone know is tanks.gg is wrong or what the module dmg of HE trully is? I couldnt find anything on the wiki. 

t100 3 marking goes not as fast as you want? Is it harder in your experience than 13 105? Just curious since I gave up for now trying to 3 mark that and I'm working on the t54lwt now. 

arthurwellsley #4 Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

Major

• Player
  • 50497 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

This article = http://tankwarroom.c...les-and-ramming

Seems to suggest that all damage to modules whether AP, APCR, HEAT or HE is based on the size (calibre) of the gun firing the round, rather than what type of round it is;

"This is the other form of damage shells are capable of dealing. Each module has a specific health pool, and shells have their own specific module damage. Damaging a module doesn’t have any relation to damaging the tank’s health pool, and damaging the tank’s health pool doesn’t have any relation to a module’s health pool.

However, as stated in the Double Penetration section, a shell’s flight path does not end after initial impact so it’s entirely possible to damage both a module and penetrate a tank’s hull armor (such as shooting at the frontal drive wheel of a tank to de-track and damage the tank at the same time), and likewise it’s entirely possible to penetrate the hull armor of a tank and also damage internal modules or crew members. Crew and modules have no armor value, so if a shell connects with them they will take damage. While tracks act as spaced armor for the hull, the module itself doesn’t have any armor."

brumbarr #5 Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:08 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postcommer, on 15 January 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

t100 3 marking goes not as fast as you want? Is it harder in your experience than 13 105? Just curious since I gave up for now trying to 3 mark that and I'm working on the t54lwt now. 

I just got it, just trying a personal challenge to get above 3K assist.

Balc0ra #6 Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62814 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Postbrumbarr, on 15 January 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

I just got it, just trying a personal challenge to get above 3K assist.

So basically just on tracks then to farm damage assist? Then AP will be just as good tbh. The module HP will go down either way. As iirc tracks are 100% chance to damage. Not 27% like ammo rack etc.

_T_1_T_4_N_0_ #7 Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27097 battles
  • [SQCI] SQCI

View Postarthurwellsley, on 15 January 2018 - 03:56 PM, said:

This article = http://tankwarroom.c...les-and-ramming

Seems to suggest that all damage to modules whether AP, APCR, HEAT or HE is based on the size (calibre) of the gun firing the round, rather than what type of round it is;

"This is the other form of damage shells are capable of dealing. Each module has a specific health pool, and shells have their own specific module damage. Damaging a module doesn’t have any relation to damaging the tank’s health pool, and damaging the tank’s health pool doesn’t have any relation to a module’s health pool.

However, as stated in the Double Penetration section, a shell’s flight path does not end after initial impact so it’s entirely possible to damage both a module and penetrate a tank’s hull armor (such as shooting at the frontal drive wheel of a tank to de-track and damage the tank at the same time), and likewise it’s entirely possible to penetrate the hull armor of a tank and also damage internal modules or crew members. Crew and modules have no armor value, so if a shell connects with them they will take damage. While tracks act as spaced armor for the hull, the module itself doesn’t have any armor."

That article is brilliant as I also thought it was DMG and had at times wondered why HE rounds seems to make little difference.
PS with assist missions make sure you have encounter mode on as Prokhorovka just sit on the lip of the hill north side and rake that assist in.

Aikl #8 Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:06 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

With your rather ambitious goal in mind, it might be worth testing if HE is capable of dealing module damage with splash. With the 50-damage arty splashes that kills two crew members in mind, distance may or may not be a factor towards crew/module damage.

While it might be tempting to use HE somewhat liberally for tracking (the shells are cheaper, and might have some more ability to track) - the shell velocity is pure trash. It's 460m/s. That is literally worse than the KV-2 and M4 Sherman's derp guns. The ability to hit targets that move (or when moving) will likely take a serious hit. Even if your lead is perfect the shell will have a rather prominent 'arc'. I'm quite fond of using HE in the counter-scout duty, and used to lackluster shell velocity, but 460 is just dumb.

SplittingVoid #9 Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:50 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 20168 battles
  • [REXDK] REXDK
Got my ammo rack taken off in the IS7 by HE.Keeps happening all the time...

Edited by SplittingVoid, 15 January 2018 - 07:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users