• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Dava_117 #1 Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19508 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Hi all guys.

Some months ago I bought my first tier 10, the IS-4. For the first 200-250 battle I got a stable WR around 51%.

But recently I started to lose games and today I reach a WR of 49%. I lost 1.5% in just 2 weeks. 

I feel like I'm doing something wrong because with my ST-I I got a good WR that is slowly growing and can perform quite well, feeling more confident even while fighting tier 10 HTs.

So I thought if some of you, more experienced players, may have some advice to give me on how improve my gameplay. To help you I uploaded my last 10 battle in it. The last one is quite good so is also shared on WoT replays.

Here they are:

Thank you in advice! :medal:

leggasiini #2 Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:59 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 14309 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

The problem with the IS-4 is that its just...powercreeped to hell and just quite bad these days, especially when compared to pmuch all other heavily armored HTs in the tier. The tank as itself is not "bad", but the powercreep at tier 10 has gone to levels that it is effectively pretty bad as a vehicle. ST-I is noticeably stronger vehicle tier for tier - it has better turret and gun depression at tier lower, while having more or less the same gun. The main advantages of the IS-4 is +600 HP and much stronger LFP, which simply isnt enough as tier 10 is way more violent tier than the tier 9. So no wonder why your winratio with the ST-I is better.

I got the IS-4 right before my retarded brain made me reroll myself. I think I played like 25 battles with it, ended up having utterly attrocious results compared to tanks like E 100 or prebuff IS-7 (IMO IS-7 was way better even prebuff), and parked it in my garage. The only literal reason why I kept it was because of the announced line rework (which, still isnt here lmao).

The tank as itself is fairly simple:

• dont be afraid to "overangle" your armor and bait shots; the side is so strong that you are capable of angling the tank like 45 degrees
  • the armor is lackluster when not angled - even tier 8s may penetrate (at least with gold) if you dont angle; angle whenever possible
  • Turret is worse than on the paper and you dont go hulldown like with the ST-I. In general, the turret shouldnt be relied upon - the roof is a weakspot and the mantlet also has weird holes that can result in very random penetrations.
  • The tank is not great at pushing; the gun is pretty terrible for a tier 10 HT (you lack DPM and 440 alpha is not very high either) and the armor is more suited for holding a flank instead of pushing. You do have a very high HP pool though so you can trade stuff
  • The tank is faster than true, proper super-heavies, it can move around and you dont necessarily always have to go to brawl bigger superheavies head on
  • Takes quite a lot of HE damage; careful with HE based tonks
  • You might have to carry a bit of HEAT as the gun handling is for some reason very bad, and the DPM is rather poor, too

I havent played with it for some time but if it already felt powercreeped at the first moments of powercreep wave at tier 10, I can't imagine how frustrating it could be now.

Another thing to note is that the tier 10 is generally harder tier to play so naturally WR will be worse with tier 10s than lower tiers, at first at least.

Dammonar #3 Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 51978 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

The only time it was good was when it was tier 9, 7 years ago. Now it has no advantage over other heavies and to add insult to injury it has an overmatchable roof. I keep mine with the hope that it will get buffed someday.

Nowadays the meta consists of SQ,Wz,907, bat, type 5 (yuck) and maybe strv  thats it 

Laur_Balaur_XD #4 Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35899 battles
  • [FUSED] FUSED

Unfortunately you have picked one of the worst tier X tanks in this game, if not the worst. 

Like leggasiini said, try to overanghe and sidescrap a lot, since the side armor is actually better than the front armor. 

Also try to spam some gold ammo, maybe you can negate the bad gun stats by doing that.

Or just let him rot in garage and grind something else. I am sure that IS-4 will be changed/buffed at some point.

Dava_117 #5 Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19508 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Thank you guys. I agree that this tank is powercreept. 

Armour works fine IMO (got my personal record of 10K blocked in it), but I feel I can't reliably carry my own weight in terms of damage. I mxed the DPM and it got to 2.6K, but I can hardly carry out more damage than my hitpoint. Equally in winning as in losing game. My avarage damage per game is just 200 points higher than in ST-I...

Gardar7 #6 Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22857 battles
  • [VKG-] VKG-
I have got it when it was tier 9. I think it was fine at that tier and it should go back.

Dava_117 #7 Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:27 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19508 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostGardar7, on 16 January 2018 - 03:23 PM, said:

I have got it when it was tier 9. I think it was fine at that tier and it should go back.

I can agree with you, but then what tanks would get the tier 10 role. IMO ST-I would just be ruined if moved to tier 10...

NUKLEAR_SLUG #8 Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:33 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29251 battles

If you can use the armour effectively that's still helping your team as if they're bouncing shots off you that's shots that aren't hurting your team.

leggasiini #9 Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:46 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 14309 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostDava_117, on 16 January 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

IMO ST-I would just be ruined if moved to tier 10...

Not really, to be fair. ST-I with better gun stats, mobility and 2500 HP would already be arguably better tank than the IS-4. The gun stats of the ST-I is kinda mediocre so there is certainly room for improvement.

Buff side armor to 160, buff HP to 2500, buff terrain resists, give it better gun stats, and bam, would be fair enough at tier 10. Essentially like the IS-4 but with turret and depression of the ST-I.

The ST-I was supposed to be "improved" tank compared to IS-4 IRL, anyway, so it makes sense if they were simply swapped with each other.

Dava_117 #10 Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19508 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postleggasiini, on 16 January 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

Not really, to be fair. ST-I with better gun stats, mobility and 2500 HP would already be arguably better tank than the IS-4. The gun stats of the ST-I is kinda mediocre so there is certainly room for improvement.

Buff side armor to 160, buff HP to 2500, buff terrain resists, give it better gun stats, and bam, would be fair enough at tier 10. Essentially like the IS-4 but with turret and depression of the ST-I.

The ST-I was supposed to be "improved" tank compared to IS-4 IRL, anyway, so it makes sense if they were simply swapped with each other.

Yes, that would be good, but ST-I would became less fun. That's because, IMO it's not the turret or the gun depression that kills IS-4. I got killed by the turret weackspot just a few times. Mostly I got flancked or penned in the shoulder of LFP while charging.

In my opinion the greatest problems are:

Low ammo count (30 shell are just not enought for a firstline tank that is matched with superheavys).

Low armour for the mobility it has (or low mobility for the armour it has). A buff in ground resistance or engine power would allow it to reach the good topspeed.

2500HP are no more special, now that even SConqueror or IS-7 got a comparable ammount, whit better gun or mobility.

Edit:

A bit more DPM or gunhandling would help a lot

Edited by Dava_117, 16 January 2018 - 05:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users