Jump to content


Is coming back to the game worth it now?


  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

OnTheVerge #1 Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:07 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 6416 battles
  • 2
  • Member since:
    02-08-2014

I play games for fun. Some games are fast-paced, reflex based and offer visceral, mechanically challenging gameplay, which rewards skill, quick thinking and good reaction time. Such games get your heart pumping, palms sweating, (knees are weak and spilled spaghetti), and give you that animalistic kind of gratification when you succeed. Other games are slow and steady for the most part, requiring awareness, planning, rewarding preparation and dedication with applied knowledge. The gratification they bring is more sublime, feels great while you play, even greater when winning, but after a short feeling of euphoria which follows victory, the happiness is superseded by a kind of sadness because the game has ended.

 

But all games, fast or slow, big or small, deep or casual are meant to be fun. Even those demented mobile clickers with shouting men on their icons that are designed to squeeze out money from irresponsible people are sometimes, to some people, fun to play.

 

This is the main reason I stopped playing World of Tanks, almost a year ago. It wasn't some big, drastic change, or some new, OP tank that devs couldn't nerf (because its premium) that made me stop playing. A combination of many factors, some big, some small, made me increasingly more miserable with each played game, and I was pushed away until at one moment, I was browsing the internet more than playing, and I spend many a game firing, returning to cover, alt-tabbing and doing something else. At one moment I realized playing World of Tanks has, for me, become a profoundly ungratifying experience. I searched for reasons outwards, trying to blame the game, the system, Wargaming, politics, you name it. After a period of childish tantrum I turned inwards and thought that maybe I was having a bad time because I sucked at the game. So I learnt. I improved on all levels, and saw great amount of clan invites, followed by some weekend tournaments, and even some victories and rewards. 

Still, the game was not fun for me. I got discouraged. I did not know what to make of it, and wanted answers as to WHY was this game that made me excited to get out of bed, suddenly a boring chore to be done while watching youtube? 


I looked for answers on the forums. From the towering mountain of complaints about many different things, I saw a pattern: people complained that World of Tanks was becoming a pay to win game. It was disheartening, as I in principle am against such business practices, but since I had excess of spare time and money, I decided it was worth spending some on the game. I ended not spending  much, and it didn't impact me personally in any way, so in no way do I regret paying for content in this game. I bought many premium tanks. Got a few bundles. Got so much free experience that I had to buy a few bundles with silver currency, just to keep getting tanks at the pace I was researching them.

 

So I stopped. Installed the game 8 months ago (after a 3 month break) and tried playing. I quit the game midway through the second match and deleted it. That's how disturbingly disgusting the experience has become for me.

 

A few more months passed, and even though I unfollowed all youtubers playing it, stopped logging in on the WoT site, and generally removed the game from my life, I still caught myself craving that unique feeling that I got from playing this game, that no other game could replicate. Not in the slightest. 

After many hours spent looking for alternatives, I realized WoT is an unique game, and I was going to either play it, or just deactivate my account and never look back at it, no matter how hard it becomes in the future. 

 

So that's what I'm going to ask after this mini-essay of an introduction? Is the game fun? And if so, why? Do you have fun when winning only, or do you have fun regardless of the match outcome? Is the game fair? Is there enough new content (new tanks are not new content in my book unless they introduce something unique that changes the way game is played, like the swedish tank destroyers) for me to get into? Is the pay to win model still rampant, and does Wargaming keep releasing new overpowered tier 8 premium tanks every month or so? Is everybody shooting gold only regardless of what they're shooting at? And is the game still a complete RNG mess or is there some balance, at least in SOME areas now?

 

Thank you for your attention.

 

tldr: Game used to be fun, but stopped, so I didn't play for a year. Now I'm deciding between coming back or leaving forever, need advice on what makes the game fun and fair.



jack_timber #2 Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:20 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 31194 battles
  • 1,604
  • Member since:
    07-26-2014

Simple answer...

For me it's great fun that's why I play and to me that's the main point of any game. 

As the bookies have to say "when the fun stops stop" find another game that you enjoy.



Dava_117 #3 Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 17598 battles
  • 2,190
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS
  • Member since:
    12-17-2014

View PostOnTheVerge, on 15 January 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

I play games for fun. Some games are fast-paced, reflex based and offer visceral, mechanically challenging gameplay, which rewards skill, quick thinking and good reaction time. Such games get your heart pumping, palms sweating, (knees are weak and spilled spaghetti), and give you that animalistic kind of gratification when you succeed. Other games are slow and steady for the most part, requiring awareness, planning, rewarding preparation and dedication with applied knowledge. The gratification they bring is more sublime, feels great while you play, even greater when winning, but after a short feeling of euphoria which follows victory, the happiness is superseded by a kind of sadness because the game has ended.

 

But all games, fast or slow, big or small, deep or casual are meant to be fun. Even those demented mobile clickers with shouting men on their icons that are designed to squeeze out money from irresponsible people are sometimes, to some people, fun to play.

 

This is the main reason I stopped playing World of Tanks, almost a year ago. It wasn't some big, drastic change, or some new, OP tank that devs couldn't nerf (because its premium) that made me stop playing. A combination of many factors, some big, some small, made me increasingly more miserable with each played game, and I was pushed away until at one moment, I was browsing the internet more than playing, and I spend many a game firing, returning to cover, alt-tabbing and doing something else. At one moment I realized playing World of Tanks has, for me, become a profoundly ungratifying experience. I searched for reasons outwards, trying to blame the game, the system, Wargaming, politics, you name it. After a period of childish tantrum I turned inwards and thought that maybe I was having a bad time because I sucked at the game. So I learnt. I improved on all levels, and saw great amount of clan invites, followed by some weekend tournaments, and even some victories and rewards. 

Still, the game was not fun for me. I got discouraged. I did not know what to make of it, and wanted answers as to WHY was this game that made me excited to get out of bed, suddenly a boring chore to be done while watching youtube? 


I looked for answers on the forums. From the towering mountain of complaints about many different things, I saw a pattern: people complained that World of Tanks was becoming a pay to win game. It was disheartening, as I in principle am against such business practices, but since I had excess of spare time and money, I decided it was worth spending some on the game. I ended not spending  much, and it didn't impact me personally in any way, so in no way do I regret paying for content in this game. I bought many premium tanks. Got a few bundles. Got so much free experience that I had to buy a few bundles with silver currency, just to keep getting tanks at the pace I was researching them.

 

So I stopped. Installed the game 8 months ago (after a 3 month break) and tried playing. I quit the game midway through the second match and deleted it. That's how disturbingly disgusting the experience has become for me.

 

A few more months passed, and even though I unfollowed all youtubers playing it, stopped logging in on the WoT site, and generally removed the game from my life, I still caught myself craving that unique feeling that I got from playing this game, that no other game could replicate. Not in the slightest. 

After many hours spent looking for alternatives, I realized WoT is an unique game, and I was going to either play it, or just deactivate my account and never look back at it, no matter how hard it becomes in the future. 

 

So that's what I'm going to ask after this mini-essay of an introduction? Is the game fun? And if so, why? Do you have fun when winning only, or do you have fun regardless of the match outcome? Is the game fair? Is there enough new content (new tanks are not new content in my book unless they introduce something unique that changes the way game is played, like the swedish tank destroyers) for me to get into? Is the pay to win model still rampant, and does Wargaming keep releasing new overpowered tier 8 premium tanks every month or so? Is everybody shooting gold only regardless of what they're shooting at? And is the game still a complete RNG mess or is there some balance, at least in SOME areas now?

 

Thank you for your attention.

 

tldr: Game used to be fun, but stopped, so I didn't play for a year. Now I'm deciding between coming back or leaving forever, need advice on what makes the game fun and fair.

 

In my opinion the game still be fun. I enjoy it a lot.

Sure there are huge problems: tier 10 gameplay is getting destroyed, tier 8 still have a bad mm (not in my opinion but I'm somehow strange and like to run my KV-4 in tier 10 battle), but there are some spot of heaven. Tier 9 is really enjoyable. Tier 5-7 got the most iconic tanks and are really entertaining. When you realize that tier 10 is not an end game target, you start to enjoy mid tier and even some run on low tier.

Oh, and if you play for fun and want some good platoonmate, feel free to join the in game channel "forumites", password: play4fun. 

Hope to see you in game! Or otherwise good luck for real life! :)



Mimos_A #4 Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:28 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 21337 battles
  • 1,766
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L
  • Member since:
    05-30-2015
For me it's fun. The only way to find out if it's fun for you is by just playing a game or two.

Aikl #5 Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 25141 battles
  • 4,028
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    04-13-2011
Could've tried the game in the time it took to write that wall of text.

Jokes aside, I've taken a few breaks over the years, and with a proper mindset returning was always fun. Even the longest break didn't harm my "skills" too much.
( Don't do grinds or play shitty tanks and you're halfway there already. Doesn't hurt to try.)

SuedKAT #6 Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:32 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 12154 battles
  • 6,152
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-21-2014

Sure the game have a lot of problems, more now than ever due to the new balance team, but I still find it fun to play. I guess it helps what mindset you go into the game with, I don't have any plans what so ever to ever play WoT on a competitive level since I've played so many other games that way in the past, so I still derp around in my stock tanks with 75% crews when I need to. If you want more than that from the game, yes then I can see how WoT quite quickly would turn into frustration rather than fun.

 

However in the end it comes down to one thing and one thing alone, you, every game ain't for everyone, I for example have about 2000 hours in Rimworld, but I know quite a few that never in a million years would play a game like that, WoT might not just be for you.



Toni112007 #7 Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 9732 battles
  • 417
  • Member since:
    11-18-2013
For me it's currently fun because I will get the Jageroo soon. I know it quite mediocre/bad tank but I love big alpha damage so I am looking forward to it.

Obsessive_Compulsive #8 Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 23547 battles
  • 8,048
  • Member since:
    09-09-2014
I am not convinced that anyones opinion here will make your experience worthwhile. the only person who can make the call is you. The only way to know is to play. perhaps find some platoon mates or join a clan either or both of those can really make things better.

Balc0ra #9 Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:39 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 62806 battles
  • 14,414
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

I still find it fun, I would not be here if not. But it might be worth it more in March, as then there will be a new game engine, new graphics and new HD maps etc. Does the game still have issues. Sure. But those issues for me. Are not killing the game as such. More like minor annoyances in a few games here and there. If they were constant issues in every game. I would have left ages ago. But some issues are game breaking for others, and they leave. While some don't really care to much about it.

 

As for the forum complaints. Pay 2 win and other stuff has been a thing since before you joined. So nothing new. Half the premiums people said were pay2win, turned out to be a bag of fails vs OP.  As for gold ammo being called pay 2 win. Well it still called pay 2 win, as most will have it that each gold round costs more then a tier X tank, and only premium tank owners can afford even one shell. And even if they can pen you with normal ammo. As in a Borsig or any paper tank. They still get upset. Even tho you would 100% pen them with both, you used pay 2 win ammo, and thus you won and he lost... so I did stop to care about that years ago, and just focused on what I did enjoy.

 

But why ask us? Go play it yourself for a few rounds. As you pointed out, it was a mix of things that got you to lave.  There have been many changes the past year. So play a few rounds, test the field. If you still don't like it. Then just leave and find something else. If you found some joy in it. Well then stay until you don't. No reason to ask. As you will get a mixed bag of replies here. As the only one that can give a  good answer if it's worth it or not. Is you based on the reasons you left.

 

 


Edited by Balc0ra, 15 January 2018 - 09:40 PM.


SuedKAT #10 Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:45 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 12154 battles
  • 6,152
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-21-2014

View PostObsessive_Compulsive, on 15 January 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

I am not convinced that anyones opinion here will make your experience worthwhile. the only person who can make the call is you. The only way to know is to play. perhaps find some platoon mates or join a clan either or both of those can really make things better.

 

Wise words, I also recommend a clan or mates that got a voice communication setup, I've had so many weird random discussions about all kinds of things over the years that way with my fellow guild/clan mates. Still got a killer red wine sauce recipe from the main tank in my WoW guild that happened to be a Polish chef, as well as a great recipe for  Çevapçiçi I got from a Croatian dude while I was playing Rift. The Dingers have mostly blessed me with a silky smooth talking German "FC" and some British dudes that have very weird eating habits. Stuff like that can really break the frustration you get while playing an MMO now and then, heck just ranting in the shared chat can do a lot (I'm guilty of this a lot).



Pansenmann #11 Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 33268 battles
  • 12,043
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    08-17-2012

View PostOnTheVerge, on 15 January 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

Some games are fast-paced, reflex based and offer visceral, mechanically challenging gameplay, which rewards skill, quick thinking and good reaction time. Such games get your heart pumping, palms sweating, (knees are weak and spilled spaghetti), and give you that animalistic kind of gratification when you succeed.

 

Sounds like me playing DOOM :child:

 

PS: especially the spaghetti part


Edited by Pansenmann, 15 January 2018 - 09:52 PM.


wsatnutter #12 Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:53 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Beta Tester
  • 23997 battles
  • 7,026
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    08-25-2010
yes jump back in its an amazing  game and btw do you eat sprouts ?

Strappster #13 Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:00 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 23602 battles
  • 8,776
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    10-20-2015

 

Fun is subjective, what one person enjoys another may hate so the only way to know for sure is to play it yourself and see what you think.



OnTheVerge #14 Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:27 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 6416 battles
  • 2
  • Member since:
    02-08-2014

Alright guys, thank you for your advice, I am reinstalling the game as I type this, and I will give it another go, with a clear mindset.

 

Again, thank you for your time.

 

P.S.  Yeah I love sprouts, just haven't had them in a while.



Velvet_Underground #15 Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:35 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 22243 battles
  • 3,164
  • Member since:
    12-19-2014

As far as I'm aware Wargaming continued screwing up the general game balance so much that the high tier situation "post fix" so to say is generally regarded as worse than it was before. It's not like their monetization schemes changed for the better, either.

 

If you ask me you'd be better of just playing some other game that is continuously changed for the worst and made only to milk you. Personally, after quitting the game I spent my time playing other games that aren't just annoying on purpose and right now I'm having a blast with Witcher 3.



Jigabachi #16 Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:36 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 17753 battles
  • 17,636
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011

The answer to your question is as simple as it could get: Press BATTLE!

Some of the things that were broken got fixed/improved to some extent, some of the things are more broken now, some of the things didn't change at all. Overall, the game is worse than before, but that doesn't have to mean that it isn't fun to play.

That said, the only one who can judge if the game is worth playing is you. Noone else.

 

btw: If you happen to decide to abandon WoT entirely, just a hint for your next adventures in the world of computergames: Better don't buy half the content of the premium shop right away during your first hours in the game...

 


Edited by Jigabachi, 15 January 2018 - 10:38 PM.


Gremlin182 #17 Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:53 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 45395 battles
  • 7,509
  • Member since:
    04-18-2012

For everyone that has a problem with part of the game you can find someone else who likes that part and another who doesn't care one way or the other.

 

I find the argument goes assume something in the game is going to work out in your favour and allow you to be really successful.

Find out after months of play that either you cannot make it work as you expected or that wargaming are making a change.

Come on the forum and complain bitterly about the game.

 

The game is better than it was is constantly being rebalanced with one major exception.

The matchmaking is a problem right now, its not completely awful but it needs some work and as yet we just do not know if anything is being done.

Its

 

 



Velvet_Underground #18 Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:22 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 22243 battles
  • 3,164
  • Member since:
    12-19-2014

View PostGremlin182, on 15 January 2018 - 10:53 PM, said:

For everyone that has a problem with part of the game you can find someone else who likes that part and another who doesn't care one way or the other.

 

And the microtransactions and horrendous grind in SW BF 2 were put in to provide "a sense of pride and accomplishment":rolleyes:

Edited by Velvet_Underground, 15 January 2018 - 11:35 PM.


HeidenSieker #19 Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:57 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 10046 battles
  • 4,408
  • Member since:
    03-26-2016

View PostOnTheVerge, on 15 January 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

So I stopped. Installed the game 8 months ago (after a 3 month break) and tried playing. I quit the game midway through the second match and deleted it. That's how disturbingly disgusting the experience has become for me.

 

You have answered your own question. Leave, stop playing it or thinking about it. No need for soul-searching or histrionics.



Ferditude #20 Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:54 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 862 battles
  • 428
  • Member since:
    11-22-2016

View PostOnTheVerge, on 15 January 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

 Is game still a complete RNG mess or is there some balance, at least in SOME areas now?

Never going to be fair, as brought to u from europes only dictatorship.

Fun?

If u mean the, sit in a bath of tobasco sauce +broken glass  kind of fun... Sure


Edited by Ferditude, 16 January 2018 - 06:00 AM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users