How to chill

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Arissos #1 Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:25 AM

Private

• Player
  • 30239 battles
  • [HACKR] HACKR

Hi. So I feel like I don't survive that often, mainly because I can't wait in most situations. Basically I try to make things happen too aggressively and get wrecked. I push to situations and positions where are no easy ways to fall back. I easily have the need to do something thinking "if I don't go or do something we will lose". Or suicide to take someone out if I "don't like his position in battle". 

Now I was utter s*** when I started this game. I never had played any games that were not turn-based, apart from EA sports games. Took me over 5k to learn how to combine minimap and map. And that should be easy for most players. So I just thought I sucked. But kept playing for some reason. Mainly because had nothing else to do.  

Now I have at least improved somewhat. But I still die around almost same rate. I play better but still. I am almost always dead in the end game and rely my team to carry me to victory. Now I am doing useful stuff more often than not, but in some games I should value my life more so I could be there to help in the end instead of someone less experienced. I just cannot chill to save my life. I also get pissed for idiots pinging if I "don't play the right way" and sometimes "show what happens when I do what they want" and die. 

So how do you learn patience? I do decent (like to think so at least) in tanks like Comet or Vk or in most lights and I don't like to camp. But I absolutely suck in for example Cromwell ( my beer-tank because don't care anymore) or TVPVTU or 34-100. Even Leo seems hard even that it should be similar to Comet somewhat. 

Main reason for asking is that I kind of would like to play IX or later X more often. But there I cannot help team that much. VIII tier is likely also a bit too difficult for my game style. You get severely punished for bad aggressive gameplay in high tiers. I am getting the basics better slowly so I feel like aiming, camouflage and that stuff is not big issue.

So has anyone any tips? What to learn and change in playing higher tiers and how to cool your tendency to yolo? Or some useful YouTube channel? I have 25k games so most do way better at this point. 

imperiumgraecum #2 Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:37 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 59599 battles

View PostArissos, on 16 January 2018 - 03:25 AM, said:

How to chill

Play another game. That's what I do.

Edited by imperiumgraecum, 16 January 2018 - 02:38 AM.

OIias_of_Sunhillow #3 Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:50 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 23531 battles

How to chill.

Yeah, it's 40 minutes after finishing a night shift, I've just rolled one, I am well aware of how to 'chill', thank you very much.

Consett_Steel #4 Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:55 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17281 battles
If you are OK with your win rate i'd say don't worry so much about survival rate. Don't get me wrong, the best players survive longer (note - this does not mean surviving long means you are necessarily a good player) but perhaps they benefit from the less cautious players opening up opportunities - let your WR guide you :)

jugilismaani #5 Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21421 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View PostConsett_Steel, on 16 January 2018 - 08:55 AM, said:

If you are OK with your win rate i'd say don't worry so much about survival rate. Don't get me wrong, the best players survive longer (note - this does not mean surviving long means you are necessarily a good player) but perhaps they benefit from the less cautious players opening up opportunities - let your WR guide you :)

I agree with this, however it is important to die in the right places. If you feel like you are dying too early before the game has been decided or your death does not secure the victory then there is something to be improved. With Cromwell my winrate is 65% but I only survive 23% so the percentage alone is not so important. Not much different in tier X, most mediums I survive only 20-25% but still average ~59% winrate.

MrClark56 #6 Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:18 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 5780 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

i thought i had good advice to give to an average player, but your stats just rendered me speechless... i have literally no advice to give to a better player.. i guess only thing i can say is chose where you lose your hit points, save them till the end if you can, or trade them so that you always win in that trade..

As for patience, i have the same problem as you, i tend to try save flanks or push flanks and die from it. Maybe it comes from experience, when you know you should push.. and when you should stay still.. i guess it comes with reading the map and how the battle is unfolding on the different parts of the map as well..

Edited by MrClark56, 16 January 2018 - 08:19 AM.

lonigus #7 Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:49 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 32631 battles

Best advice I can think of is playing scouts with autoloaders. Get in, empty clip, hide, repeat. The absolute king for this is the T71 with obviously having ALOT of spare credits for the gold ammo. Do NOT use the T71 unless you can afford to shoot atleast two clips of gold. One clip is like... 24 000 credits if I am not mistaken lol.

Being aggressive does not always have to mean certain death with a scout. And if you are on a city map, then simply stick to the heavies. Then you be a super annoyance to the enemy heavies! If you are to aggressive with a heavy for example, then the escape is almost always impossible. 

Graeme0 #8 Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23345 battles
  • [M-O-M] M-O-M

Play World of Warships, slower pace at lower tiers and you still get to blow stuff up...

Works when you're drunk too. 

Archaean #9 Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14952 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT
Patience is a virtue they say. It's actually hard to train.. that thing called patience.

TEMELJNI #10 Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 22338 battles
  • [L_T_D] L_T_D
Play t49, laugh your A$$ off when you hit something and pen, if miss just scoot for reload, relocate and repeat the process on unsuspecting enemy.

Edited by TEMELJNI, 16 January 2018 - 09:46 AM.

Arissos #11 Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:51 AM

Private

• Player
  • 30239 battles
  • [HACKR] HACKR

Thanks for the feedback. I do spam gold when I feel like I need to or if I happen to have it loaded. Run premium account and I have been gifted a lot of premiums from my recruiter so credits are not really an issue. Hate playing t71 though because of huge pressure to perform well in that tank as you kind of need to do more than scout.

But I try to improve timing when falling back from a flank and check my initial position better. Also I have to learn weak spots better. Can't always just try and error.  Also might try to lure my recruiter to platoon again (he does not play much anymore) as he could help in higher tiers. And MM does not matter that much as you are not - 2.

I also have to start keeping breaks more. Sometimes you lose like 10 in a row and start to get too angry and try way too hard. Maybe a break after five. But that is general issue more.

Edit: thanks especially for the city-map advice. Have had a lot of trouble in that kind of maps. 

Edited by Arissos, 16 January 2018 - 09:54 AM.

Aikl #12 Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25150 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostMrClark56, on 16 January 2018 - 07:18 AM, said:

i thought i had good advice to give to an average player, but your stats just rendered me speechless... i have literally no advice to give to a better player(...)

Well, he's not asking to become better, but to have more fun. 

As always, stop playing shitty tanks, stop grinding dumb FOTM lines, and take a break if your mood declines, or when RNGesus tells you to take a break. I do that, and my frustration with the game is far less than others who play more than me. 

250swb #13 Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21208 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostArissos, on 16 January 2018 - 01:25 AM, said:

I have 25k games so most do way better at this point. 

False modesty? Your WR is very good, no way are most players better than you after 25,000 battles, most are far, far worse. Or did you mean 'must do better' ? 

To chill I don't look at WR alone as a measure of a good session playing WOT, but create projects for myself, so even if my WR goes down I'm happy if I've achieved some other aspect of playing. So grinding towards a certain tank can be a project, improving a crew can be a project, revisiting tanks that you skipped past too quickly and play them better can be a project, you get the drift, another goal than simply winning. Having both winning and the self made project in your head evens out the disappointment of losing a session, you don't get (as) angry because you are still achieving something.

mystikro #14 Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29160 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Disable the chat and focus on playing.

TheComfyChair #15 Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6249 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
How to chill .... When playing always have Guinness and some relaxing music on, and if you feel the YOLO rage begin I recommend a break with a laser pen thingy and a cat charging around the room trying to catch it. This is when you realise the cat doesn't care about its win rate and neither should you.

iztok #16 Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles

> How to chill

Easy in this time of the year: just turn off heating and open window wide. ;)

Arissos #17 Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:11 PM

Private

• Player
  • 30239 battles
  • [HACKR] HACKR

Yeah. Cold it is here so that kind of chilling is easy:) And to another earlier post, I was more thinking about wn8 after 25k matches. I feel proud of my win rate but of course I want it higher.

I started to listen to some music while playing and keeping minibreaks after a few battles. If arty gets annoying I play couple of arty matches myself(weird, but seems to help me to avoid arty and takes away the bad mood).

All in all. If I focus I don't Yolo. So when I do it even once and it is done stupidly (I think situation again after battle) I do something else for a short while. Really doesn't seem that difficult now. Thanks to all.

Edit.  And I try to not get annoyed of other players if I feel they don't do that well. Especially those with less than 10k. At one point I was glad to attack Siegfried Lane because I could hide behind those concrete bunkers on field and survive longer.

Edited by Arissos, 16 January 2018 - 11:16 PM.

kaneloon #18 Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26964 battles
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC

How to chill : play the kv-2 ;)

Or arty ...

btw why don t you play tiers X ? It is not that different from other tiers and you will probably have more impact on the battles than being lower tiers.

Toni112007 #19 Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:12 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9732 battles
Get any slow [edited]tank destroyer to learn patience.

Archaean #20 Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14952 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT

View PostToni112007, on 17 January 2018 - 07:12 AM, said:

Get any slow [edited]tank destroyer to learn patience.

I'd recommend the KV-4 with stock engine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users