How to scout on ... map?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

brumbarr #1 Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:56 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

While I am playing my T100, I come across a few maps I have no clue where to spot so I get a decent amount of spotting dmg.  So I need advice, what do you do on these maps?

I will update the list with new maps when  I come across one and put the usefull advice in this post.

Maps:

-abbey? I have been going to the 9 0 line for now.

-airfield?

_T_1_T_4_N_0_ #2 Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28930 battles
  • [SQCI] SQCI
Abbey aint a clue apart from the scramble to the citadel or whatever it is, airfield its what we call the "Island".
Sometimes on airfield lights go snipe "Heavy corner" NE but often just get pinned.
Both often not great but don't think there is anything else even from others I have seen. 

Edited by DumbNumpty, 17 January 2018 - 09:03 PM.

Ankara_Aatu #3 Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32824 battles
  • [RIOD] RIOD
Airfield: if you have arty, it's useful to do a quick run on top of the south hill, to spot enemies (usually heavies) when they are approaching the brawling area in the middle. After that I have no idea. Sometimes you can spot base campers if you hang around there for a while, but spotting base campers is usually not very productive in early game.

Peaceful_Refugee #4 Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2339 battles

On Abbey you could go straight to F7 and climb if you're on the south spawn, on the way there you will spot surroundings of the enemy base and will spot incoming enemy tanks that are coming to 8 line. You can also just spot the 9/0 as you do now. 

And obviously middle.

Airfield. Peek middle or go to the usual balcony for some spots, nothing good to do. 

Well in maps like these just play like a medium since they're so limited

tank276 #5 Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 48865 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View Postbrumbarr, on 17 January 2018 - 07:56 PM, said:

While I am playing my T100, I come across a few maps I have no clue where to spot so I get a decent amount of spotting dmg.  So I need advice, what do you do on these maps?

I will update the list with new maps when  I come across one and put the usefull advice in this post.

Maps:

-airfield?

Hey friend.

In abbey I either go at the central abbey building to deny enemy passage (and shoot through a little gap in the walls at the most central building) or to the river where is some vegetation (vision up to the wrecked tanks that are on each side).

On airfield either go fast to the "balcony" near where the heavies congest or drive like an epileptic up and down the central hills (next to the ancient Greek or Roman amphitheatre ruins) to provide vision for the team.

At least, thats what I do.

Edited by tank276, 17 January 2018 - 09:54 PM.

tank276 #6 Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 48865 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE
In Airfield there is also the possibility to go near a rock to the extreme North of the map and harass/flank the heavies on the congested hill.

Pansenmann #7 Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:55 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Posttank276, on 17 January 2018 - 09:53 PM, said:

In Airfield there is also the possibility to go near a rock to the extreme North of the map and harass/flank the heavies on the congested hill.

yes, but there is no way out. I don't like that place and prefer to work the middle hill being in constant motion most of the time.

ClassicFrog #8 Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:03 PM

Major

• Player
  • 44194 battles

On abbey in the middle and west side the engage distances are so close that your allies will be able to spot for themselves, plus the middle is quite risky to be at too, especially if you geared up purely for spotting. So that leaves 8/9 line. Now, in a tank that is meant to do damage you wouldn't want to go there. But there are still players that do. On both teams. And that's good, because there will be allies shooting what you can spot and some less competent enemies for your team to shoot at. It is also area where arty can aim at from most of the usual arty locations, so it can contribute easily, so long as it's willing to aim there.

On airfield I'd bet on a  quick run to the north to spot some tanks going middle hill in hope someone in the team will have at least one shot on them, preferably arty, and then backtrack to the back and go to the south hill, as it gives the best overview on the map.

Not that I'm any good at scouting, but these are my guesses. Maybe they make some sense.

undutchable80 #9 Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6964 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Posttank276, on 17 January 2018 - 09:51 PM, said:

Hey friend.

In abbey I either go at the central abbey building to deny enemy passage (and shoot through a little gap in the walls at the most central building) or to the river where is some vegetation (vision up to the wrecked tanks that are on each side).

On airfield either go fast to the "balcony" near where the heavies congest or drive like an epileptic up and down the central hills (next to the ancient Greek or Roman amphitheatre ruins) to provide vision for the team.

At least, thats what I do.

I do the same. 

View Posttank276, on 17 January 2018 - 09:53 PM, said:

I do that too but it means getting there fast, Camp bush and passive spot until opposition has thinned out and it's safe for me to come out

Captain_Kremen0 #10 Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36778 battles

Sounds odd but where would you like a scout to go if you were say, a heavy? or a TD?  Never really seen a "scout" do anything odd on these maps except on replay I saw where a T20  (good viewrange) bossed the middle on Abbey, which was only odd because he did it so well.

N.B - when a good experienced player like OP seeks help, god help crap players like me.

ClassicFrog #11 Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:23 PM

Major

• Player
  • 44194 battles

View PostCaptain_Kremen0, on 17 January 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

Sounds odd but where would you like a scout to go if you were say, a heavy? or a TD?  Never really seen a "scout" do anything odd on these maps except on replay I saw where a T20  (good viewrange) bossed the middle on Abbey, which was only odd because he did it so well.

N.B - when a good experienced player like OP seeks help, god help crap players like me.

I'd like scouts to give me the idea where the enemies go to at the start, or where are they repositioning to. It would not benefit the scout much though, not with the assist damage anyway.

Lovsan #12 Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:33 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 15936 battles
  • [FIPZD] FIPZD
like many has said before, quickly scout the enemys at the begin of the round, then backdown if to middle or so that you are safe, help teammates, try stay alive and kill the low hp tanks.

brumbarr #13 Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:34 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
Problem is I am not looking for spots to give some initials spot and some assist, I am looking for spots that give 3K spotting.

ClassicFrog #14 Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:38 PM

Major

• Player
  • 44194 battles

Well, initial spots are not very good for farming assists but there's always a chance someone will be able to take a shot and every bit helps.

But you're also happy with tracking assists, right? So I guess other than what people already said you would have to approach these maps like you do with city maps and go where the heavies brawl and track enemies that are most likely to get shot at.

_T_1_T_4_N_0_ #15 Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28930 battles
  • [SQCI] SQCI

View Postbrumbarr, on 17 January 2018 - 11:34 PM, said:

Problem is I am not looking for spots to give some initials spot and some assist, I am looking for spots that give 3K spotting.

Its so random now sometimes a load go beach side, sometimes you can get up and spot across from the amphitheater, north prob always there but high chance you get pinned.
You can not really say there is a spot as it always some other needed for that assist.
Abbey its the abbey or those semi boost points on the east.
Just aint no magic bush like on the ovka's 

Edited by DumbNumpty, 17 January 2018 - 11:49 PM.

Ziurawka #16 Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:13 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21035 battles
  • [NLUFA] NLUFA

Those are two of the most corridor maps in rotation that ain't city.

On airfield is no place to get 3k assist unless you're to tier and insanely lucky on the northern rock (doesn't work at all tier VIII+).

It's the same story on Abbey the only difference being that both the tight road bushes and the abbey hill don't seem to work for tiers higher than VI (for me at least due to the short distances). 

Edited by Ziurawka, 18 January 2018 - 12:14 AM.

shane73tank #17 Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27288 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

On abbey I’ve had some joy at f4 early game , here you can spot them going for f6 and even get some damage in yourself , if the stars align they can get freaked and send tanks after you again and again and if your TDS are in place you can get some good assisted damage as you. Can spot the guys at E2  fromE4 

airfield it’s the island and constant poking and spotting 

they’re both horrible spotting maps , I’m sure you’ll be able to share some better approaches 

HassenderZerhacker #18 Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:24 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 25478 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View Postbrumbarr, on 17 January 2018 - 08:56 PM, said:

Maps:

-airfield?

Abbey : E2/F2, spot the middle from there and do damage if you are left alone

Airfield: Ledges E5/E7, spot the island from there and do damage. there are also some stones at B5/B6 often used by annoying lights to spot and sidesnipe

these positions can give 3k spotting depending on what the teams do.

while on airfield the position can be viable until late battle, on abbey though, the game will often shift focus to another part of the map, where it will be more interesting to change position and go spot the other cap area from c3/h3 or from the abbey hill at g5/e6 or from d7/f7.

Edited by HassenderZerhacker, 18 January 2018 - 06:29 AM.

tank276 #19 Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:14 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 48865 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View Postbrumbarr, on 17 January 2018 - 10:34 PM, said:

I doubt you can do that on those maps.

The game currently has a map rotation/light tanks problem (you know that already) and you cannot just farm spoting damage in certain maps.

Even maps like Steppes, which theoratically are open and a light's paradise, with the undulation of the ground especially East ,hardly give you any spotting dmg.

_T_1_T_4_N_0_ #20 Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28930 battles
  • [SQCI] SQCI

View Posttank276, on 18 January 2018 - 07:14 AM, said:

I doubt you can do that on those maps.

The game currently has a map rotation/light tanks problem (you know that already) and you cannot just farm spoting damage in certain maps.

Even maps like Steppes, which theoratically are open and a light's paradise, with the undulation of the ground especially East ,hardly give you any spotting dmg.

Its distance of engagement vs view range especially at higher tiers where @ battle tiers 9, 10 & 11 the game mechanics are extremely cramped on a huge array of maps.
Your LT is for all purposes a highly maneuverable med and you are just going to have to supplement some of the lack of spot with DMG.
Stay alive for a second wind of HP hovering of the end game.

The game has had power creep in all areas apart from the definitive container of map size and for me its extremely evident @ battle tiers 9, 10 & 11.
I keep hoping that WG will create 1.1km x 1.1km & 1.2km x 1.2km 15vs15 to compliment the 1.4km x 1.4km 30 vs 30 grand battles.
Grand battles are extremely isolated so its a marmite option of off and on, which limits queue population.

Whilst it should be part of a series where if you are a hater then its just that bad roll of being in a light or arty when you get Himms.

From our tier 6 tanks we grind up to 10 and just get the same old maps, again and again.
What makes it worse at higher tiers is that the capabilities of those tanks are too big a fit for the map features in many respects with class characteristics.
Still rotate in the older maps but surely part of the linear progression system shouldn't see map progression end with T6 tanks.

I have been really enjoying Grand Battles as its far from perfect but such a refreshing change and often a different meta.
I was a dead scout on Nebelburg yesterday and a section of the other team where far too campy.
Ended up with 15 or more big guns pointing at four or five tanks and they all let rip at the same time and it was truly epic end game.
It was a whoo moment of awe as they really didn't last long. 
Where are the other maps that higher tiers desperately need? 

Edited by DumbNumpty, 18 January 2018 - 11:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users