Struggling with Charioteer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

tall_paul #1 Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:33 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23707 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

I'm really struggling with the Charioteer.

I enjoyed the Challenger.  Great speed, gun depression and a really accurate gun.  The only fly in the ointment was the turret that doesn't fully rotate.

I was expecting the Charioteer to be a step up and with a fully revolving turret too.

However, I am finding it a nightmare.

By far the worst of it is the top gun.  It has appalling dispersion on the move making snapshots a waste of time, and playing it as a sniper seems to be a waste of time too.  At long distances I'm finding it really inaccurate which makes those 'tricky' sniping shots a real lottery.

I'm on the verge of selling the sodding thing and dropping back to the Challenger.

If anyone has any tips I'm all ears!

tajj7 #2 Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25842 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

It is a mobile sniper, it won't work as a medium because of the awful bloom, you need to get somewhere with your good mobility, set up and then snipe at stuff from medium to long ranges where you are only turning the turret. 

Also use the HESH against weak targets, plenty of stuff on tier 8 and below that you will pen with 210 pen, maxed out with the HESH you can get about 3.6k DPM so are putting 480 damage shots at people every 8s. 

QB seems to play it with binos and a camo net, and I'm pretty sure he 3 marked it. Personally I used vents, but found the gun depression the most awkward thing, but they have fixed that now. 

Ubervold #3 Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21567 battles

I played the Challenger before it was buffed and it was a total nightmare, moving on to the Charioteer was a wonderful experience, back then.

Use the gun depression and mobility and stay hidden. Shoot, relocate and repeat. The HESH ammo gives you another tool to use.

Graeme0 #4 Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:11 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25424 battles
  • [M-O-M] M-O-M

I have not got one but recently they have been the architect of my death on a number of occasions. 

Always long distance shots, from cover, ousite view range. Mainly on open maps where they can get position.

Dont brawl or get close, that's how i get my revenge on the blighters.

It 

250swb #5 Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:17 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 23160 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Inaccurate at long distances? Are you sure you aren't playing a chariot not a Charioteer? 

I had a terrible time when I started playing it and it gathered dust for a long time. The gun depression was bad then and it seemed like the whole tank had to sit on top of a ridge to shoot. After the buff I gave it another chance, but this time I had a good crew ready for it, maxed out the camo and snap shot on the gunner for long range (you won't hit anything close up, close snap shots fly everywhere except the target) and it came alive. Play like a sneaky TD early on, use mobility late on to keep up with an advance, take control at the end with your high alpha to one shot weakened enemy tanks. I don't go much for the idea of having 'fun' tanks, but the Charioteer is one of the least stressful tanks I have played, and yes, it is fun. I use rammer, vents, and binos.

Edited by 250swb, 18 January 2018 - 10:23 AM.

Baldrickk #6 Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30598 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View Posttall_paul, on 18 January 2018 - 09:33 AM, said:

I'm really struggling with the Charioteer.

I enjoyed the Challenger.  Great speed, gun depression and a really accurate gun.  The only fly in the ointment was the turret that doesn't fully rotate.

I was expecting the Charioteer to be a step up and with a fully revolving turret too.

However, I am finding it a nightmare.

By far the worst of it is the top gun.  It has appalling dispersion on the move making snapshots a waste of time, and playing it as a sniper seems to be a waste of time too.  At long distances I'm finding it really inaccurate which makes those 'tricky' sniping shots a real lottery.

I'm on the verge of selling the sodding thing and dropping back to the Challenger.

If anyone has any tips I'm all ears!

Could have sworn the challenger turret goes the whole way round.

Did they change it when they gave it the 32pdr?

Edited by Baldrickk, 18 January 2018 - 10:30 AM.

Keyhand #7 Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 62483 battles
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS

Use rations on it.

The gun becomes so much better.

tajj7 #8 Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:05 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25842 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostBaldrickk, on 18 January 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

Could have sworn the challenger turret goes the whole way round.

Did they change it when they gave it the 32pdr?

Yeh you only get 60 degrees either side with the 32 lber. 

TheDrownedApe #9 Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 44798 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

I still have the Challenger (2nd overall still??. damn dropped to 3rd) and am not even thinking of buying the charioteer, just the fact that i have to grind 100k just to get a decent gun is putting me off.

What's your end game paul..the Sh1tbarn?? if so then just keep going as i can offer no advice as won't be buying it anytime soon. if you just want to play TDs then yes go back to the challenger - its great

Jigzy84 #10 Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27746 battles
  • [SJB] SJB

Charioteer is decent TD once all modules are unlocked however stock and whilst grinding the modules out it is a pain to play through. Id didn't really enjoy mine but it is worth completing the module grind as it is a decent tank when fully researched.

I have the pain of playing it out with a free account which didn't make things any easier!

Obsessive_Compulsive #11 Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

General

• Player
  • 26690 battles
  • [ADUK] ADUK

funnily enough this and other threads already exist in the right forum section.

http://forum.worldof...y-new-favorite/

cant believe a mod closed it... what a BELLEND!

Edited by Obsessive_Compulsive, 18 January 2018 - 11:17 AM.

Balc0ra #12 Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:17 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67496 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

I did the Challenger when it had a 17 pdr. So the Charioteer was a joy compared to it. Tho terrible stock grind with the dpm. But once that L7 gun came. It was a joy to play. Even more now after the minor buffs. It's no medium. So don't go to close early on.  But that gun on most maps can work wonders if you don't mind using HESH on a few weak targets in a support role. And it's not slow, so you can relocate as needed fast to. And it has 0.35 dispersion. Accuracy was not an issue for me. It was one of the reason why I did enjoy the tank.

tajj7 #13 Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:19 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25842 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Also the Conway is trash BTW, sold mine last night.

Has very little point that tank, I have just no idea what it is supposed to do or be. 

Aikl #14 Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:20 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26118 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Remember that you're playing a TD, not a light/medium tank, despite the platform. Apart from short-range gunboat work you should keep the distance and use the speed defensively.

If you ask me it's still one of the best T8 mediums, despite the dispersion values. 

tall_paul #15 Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23707 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostDr_ownape, on 18 January 2018 - 10:11 AM, said:

I still have the Challenger (2nd overall still??. damn dropped to 3rd) and am not even thinking of buying the charioteer, just the fact that i have to grind 100k just to get a decent gun is putting me off.

What's your end game paul..the Sh1tbarn?? if so then just keep going as i can offer no advice as won't be buying it anytime soon. if you just want to play TDs then yes go back to the challenger - its great

Good question, I don't know what my end game is to be honest.  I doubt if I'm going to go for the sh1tbarn tbh.

Given what everyone else has said I shall give the Charioteer a few more run outs.  But I definitely find the top gun of the Charioteer far less accurate than the top gun of the Challenger, I had some shocking games last night and was raging at the fking thing.

It may just be that I've hit my skill ceiling with the Charioteer and the Challenger is the easier tank to play?

Anyway, thanks for all your input.  I think I'll play it every day for the next week or so and, if I'm still sh1te in it at the end of the week, go back to the Challenger then.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users