AMX M4 mle. 49 - Still worth the money?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

CircleOfSorrow #1 Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:00 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29236 battles

I am having a hard time deciding whether to buy the Tier 8 French Heavy Premium tank.  I have had to pay for 20 year roof maintenance, which ended up being a lot more expensive than I thought it would be, and don't want to waste money on a tank that can not perform.

I want to grind the French autoloader heavies, and my efforts have gotten me as far as the tier 7.  I am hoping that the experience improves from tier 8 onward.  I might also want to grind the second line at some stage too.

My questions are; 

1. The reviews from a year ago warn that once people learn that the cupola has only 60mm of armour, that it will become a significant weakness.  It doesn't look that big to me.  In your experience, does the tank now suffer in close quarter fights because of it?

2. How do you play the tank when not able to face hug an opponent without being flanked?  It would seem that side-scraping is out because of the 50mm side armour.  Is it an in your face or ridge line warrior only?

If you own one, I'd appreciate knowing your experiences with the vehicle.

Uebergewicht #2 Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles

I´ve never played the Liberte, but I do occasionally face them on the battlefield. Thing is, they never seem to pose a real challenge, at least nowadays. Catch one at a slight angle, you pen the shoulders. Catch one head on and you can still go for the cupola, or load gold for the frontal plate. Catch one in any other situation and they are cheese. Alpha is quite low, so you can often just outtrade them. Armor hardly holds up against tier 10 guns, and currently, the onle tier 8s really worth it are those who can hold their own as bottom tiers - I don´t think the Liberte is up to the task. It´s best to bully lower and some select same tiers, but even those can hurt you with some luck on their side. Heck, I once even penned the cupola of a Liberte with a KV-2 shell, dealing almost 1000 damage to it.

The Patriot seems like a much better alternative because it has better supporting potential as low tier, heck, even the Löwe. But none of these train French crews, so...

Again, I´ve never played a Liberte. But I´ve never reall had trouble facing them. Maybe my perspective is skewed because this tank is kinda rare now, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but... they´re kinda out of the meta, as it seems. If you want an armored bully theres Defenders and VK 100s which can even bounce higher tiers and trade better, or hulldown tanks like the Löwe with 300mm APCR penetration. Liberte seems more like an IS-6 with better pen that sees tier 10.

Dr_ownape #3 Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:17 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 43443 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

no

I bought it on my alt account when it first came out and MM was OK. Now it is just redundant as everyone knows the weakspots and and sides are like paper and take massive arty damage

TankkiPoju #4 Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:26 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20404 battles

I's not worth the money IMHO.

It can be an awesome tank if you are facing lower tier opponents and they are in front of you, but how often does that happen? Once in 20 games these days.

Otherwise your armor works until enemies press the 2 key and everyone knows your cupola weakspot. And when armor goes away, the DPM is bad, gun handling is bad, alpha is mediocre, mobility is mediocre.

tank276 #5 Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 50083 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 18 January 2018 - 06:00 PM, said:

I am having a hard time deciding whether to buy the Tier 8 French Heavy Premium tank.  I have had to pay for 20 year roof maintenance, which ended up being a lot more expensive than I thought it would be, and don't want to waste money on a tank that can not perform.

I want to grind the French autoloader heavies, and my efforts have gotten me as far as the tier 7.  I am hoping that the experience improves from tier 8 onward.  I might also want to grind the second line at some stage too.

My questions are; 

1. The reviews from a year ago warn that once people learn that the cupola has only 60mm of armour, that it will become a significant weakness.  It doesn't look that big to me.  In your experience, does the tank now suffer in close quarter fights because of it?

2. How do you play the tank when not able to face hug an opponent without being flanked?  It would seem that side-scraping is out because of the 50mm side armour.  Is it an in your face or ridge line warrior only?

If you own one, I'd appreciate knowing your experiences with the vehicle.

The bright spot of it is that it is better than the AMX 65 t. :hiding:

On a serious note, it certainly is not bad , maybe the Patriot is better all around  but I find the French's gun more punchy.

IMHO, apart from certain vehicles (Skorpion G, Defender for example) ,it is not really worth buying t8 premiums these days, the constant battles vs t10s are just a letdown.

Who knows,maybe some day the MM for t8s will get better, under normal conditions (being top tier 30% of games and mid tier in another 30%) the tank is pretty decent,

Sfinski #6 Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

Major

• Player
  • 31728 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
Not until the MM is fixed. 

8126Jakobsson #7 Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 66522 battles
Well, if you want to get a good crew going and the choice is between that one and the FCM, then sure (I guess). :P

Schepel #8 Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:20 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 59781 battles

You do not want to play T8 heavies that need their armour to work in order to be playable. Constant tier ten games with full gold 'spam' are not enjoyable. 

T8 premium tanks are not 'dead', but you need mobility rather than armour. So the lorr 40t for instance is a nice tank to play. High alpha combined with high pen is also feasible. For this reason, tanks like the defender 'work'. (Forget about the armour, it only works against zombies, even largely incompetent players can pen it if you give them a shot.) Still, the Skorpion and the Chinese T8 td generally do a better job than the aforementioned tank. 

Also: don't spend your money on tanks if you need to stop your roof from leaking? :P

Sergeant_Antaro_Chronus #9 Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13983 battles
  • [EL-G] EL-G

Nope, it's not a fun tank to play and not worth any money.

Everyone knows the weak spots and they are quite big. They ruin your armour superiority, not that armour gives any advantages in the first place...if you can't pen with standard shells in the first shot tap the "2" key and presto! Most tier 9/10 can pen you with gold easy peasy.  

The tank has excellent frontal armour but the side is crap meaning if you over angle you'll get penetrated plus arty does stupendous amount of damage if it gets your side, rear or top, so you basically you are forced to keep your front to the enemy but at the same time you can't hide or minimize the huge cupola sooo the armour is thrown out of the window. Also the front wheel sprockets are a weak spot too, that can track you and damage you at the same time, so poking corners is either risky or retarded.

The gun is quite good for a tier 8 premium tho.

leggasiini #10 Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:11 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 14273 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Its technically a great tank but relies on top tier games and bullying lowtiers to do well, which is obviously a very bad thing for a 8 tank, with the infamous MM of that tier. The armor and wonky gun makes it really potato against tier 10s.

Not really worth the money. Löwe is IMO better as it can fight tier 10s way more efficiently

The cupola weakspot is not that bad tho, you can partially hide it by poking proper corners

Edited by leggasiini, 18 January 2018 - 10:13 PM.

m44t #11 Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 16339 battles
Cupola is really bad, O-I and Kv2 drivers pen it with HE reliably.

Snatch_The_AmmoRacks #12 Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:13 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29136 battles
  • [ORIGN] ORIGN

No, it's not.

Just the other day I sold my strv rather than using it to grind credits. If you ask me it's not worth grinding credits no matter what tank you're in thanks to ape gaming. I really enjoyed my amx at first but it is only strong if you have corners to hide your drive wheel, corner hull and cupola all at the same time. Even then tier x's shooting heat can probs pen you reliably.

So personally, as someone who sells prem tanks for credits rather than dealing with Moron Gaming's messed up mm, the tanks I'd recommend for grinding is the Chinese TD, Skorpion and T26E5,

WindSplitter1 #13 Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:24 PM

Major

• Player
  • 15997 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 18 January 2018 - 06:00 PM, said:

I pened that cupola with HE for full dmg in an O-Ho, when the Libertè was on a ridgeline, moving, at over 200m.

You probably know the proxy aiming is pants, even more so on ridgelines at a distance. And that shot connected with an HE shell.

My CO has one too. In many of his battles, he gets ammo deposits damaged, repairs them, only to get them damaged again. The armour is not that great as advertised and - this is just a guess from what I've seen - the ammo stores are behind the hull cheeks ( in a tank that has them ).

I'd stay away from this tank...

shane73tank #14 Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:50 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 28196 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI
All of the above and it also is a. It boring to play, it’s Dom was balanced against that “super armour” so it has a long reload and a gun that does not strike fear into any t8 and up tank , I hardly play mine as it’s just - meh 

sgtYester #15 Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:31 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 54439 battles
  • [RANGF] RANGF
get either the lorr 40t or the lowe.  both work  well in the current mm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users