Maps after HD maps

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

_Anarchistic_ #1 Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34843 battles
  • [SKIL3] SKIL3

any announcements by WG about making maps good after they finished wasting their time making them pretty?

so fed up with maps like swamp being a spawn win

_T_1_T_4_N_0_ #2 Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27102 battles
  • [SQCI] SQCI

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 19 January 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

any announcements by WG about making maps good after they finished wasting their time making them pretty?

Yeah the meta on swamp now is fubar just dont spawn south.
Like WoT 1.0! After all the patches of just another HD update we get another but seems like little else.

My biggest bugbear is it gets worse at higher tiers as powercreep means they don't really fit on many.
You hit T6 and thats it for maps for the rest of the tank grind.

I would like to see some new maps with some new meta with changes to the definitive container of a map, size.
1.1km x 1.1km & 1.2 x 1.2km 15vs15 to complement the 1.4kmx1.4km 30v30 of grand battles.
Run these at battle tiers 9, 10 & 11 with a meta that is specific to higher tiers as part of the "Grand Battles" option.

Edited by DumbNumpty, 19 January 2018 - 02:04 PM.

HundeWurst #3 Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 67602 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

Well. From what I have seen on the SandBox and what WG announced back in the day they were focusing on remaking them and not "chaning" the gameplay.

And dont get your hopes up to be honest. The remake could already have included MINOR changes which would have made a lot of maps noticably better, yet nothing of sorts happened.

After all the release is supposed to be set somewhere in March. And I dont think that they will release without major testing.

So NO many of the abyssmal maps will stay. The gameplay wont be touched for now, and if touched most certainly for the worse - see Grand Battle maps here. Its more than unlikely to not see all these absmal camping spots remain or further being added.

_Anarchistic_ #4 Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34843 battles
  • [SKIL3] SKIL3

View PostDumbNumpty, on 19 January 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

Like WoT 1.0! After all the patches of just another HD update we get another but seems like little else.

My biggest bugbear is it gets worse at higher tiers as powercreep means they don't really fit on many.

I would like to see some new maps with some new meta with changes to the definitive container of a map, size.
1.1km x 1.1km & 1.2 x 1.2km 15vs15 to complement the 1.4kmx1.4km 30v30 of grand battles.
Run these at battle tiers 9, 10 & 11 with a meta that is specific to higher tiers as part of the "Grand Battles" option.

View PostDumbNumpty, on 19 January 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

​yeah I would love bigger maps, play a lot of war thunder, and although its obviously a totally different game the maps are so much more fun and even with slow tanks the size is not an issue

_T_1_T_4_N_0_ #5 Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27102 battles
  • [SQCI] SQCI

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 19 January 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

​yeah I would love bigger maps, play a lot of war thunder, and although its obviously a totally different game the maps are so much more fun and even with slow tanks the size is not an issue

Yeah same here as because of WoT mechanics features really have a minimum size and hence why most of the new 1km x 1km maps are extremely similar in physical content but painted as difference.
Also many of the features are spaced on T6 mechanics and as tiers raise and capabilities increase, where view range and accuracy make some classes an extremely tight fit.

I really like what they have done with Grand Battles and also how that should act as a sink for poor old T8 and suck out some of those T10s.
It is too isolated as an option on its own and needs complementary maps for battle tiers 9 & 10 where they are all under the same "Grand Battles" option to make incentive play.
Suck out some of the T9s in 5-10 / 15 template formats on new bigger maps under the Grand Battle option and further support T8.

But yeah why I am playing the same maps that my first T6 allowed access to?
Why isn't there maps that are more suited to higher tiers, with more space aka size and features?

WG often do get good ideas but singular ones run in isolation with no diverse support then often shelved as a failure... ?!?

Edited by DumbNumpty, 19 January 2018 - 02:56 PM.

Rati_Festa #6 Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 40225 battles

It's such a logical idea to add more ( bigger ) maps as you progress through the tiers its quite amazing they have only just started to introduce it with grand battles. Over Xmas I was playing t10 only due to the bonuses, I've now dropped down to t7 and t8 credit grinding and I'm really missing the grand battles.

I agree with OP, swamp is a mess. Mines in encounter is terrible and needs removing from high level play also

_T_1_T_4_N_0_ #7 Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27102 battles
  • [SQCI] SQCI

View PostRati_Festa, on 19 January 2018 - 02:56 PM, said:

It's such a logical idea to add more ( bigger ) maps as you progress through the tiers its quite amazing they have only just started to introduce it with grand battles. Over Xmas I was playing t10 only due to the bonuses, I've now dropped down to t7 and t8 credit grinding and I'm really missing the grand battles.

I agree with OP, swamp is a mess. Mines in encounter is terrible and needs removing from high level play also

Yeah totally agree and ensk & himms are not far behind.
But maybe not removed but definitely much less of often with newer maps... probably removed :) 

Edited by DumbNumpty, 19 January 2018 - 03:02 PM.

Aikl #8 Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 19 January 2018 - 12:36 PM, said:

Depends what you mean by "good". Wargaming seems to prefer the more casual players and "playing" "style" in the last couple of years, changing the game into becoming more appealing for more casual players. It's generally not a good idea to cater to one player bracket, almost regardless of what one, if you'd rather not piss off the rest of the playerbase. Anyway, that results in somewhat uncomplicated maps. Maps nowadays are made with what feels like a set number of recipes. Paris, Ensk and Pilsen are very similar. Heavy brawling area/long open corridor that is unusable/open area for lights, mediums, tds and arty that have little effect on the outcome of the match most of the time. 

The open maps tend to include multiple basecamp positions and some form of midline ridge that ensures a swift death if you dare peek over it. Fisherman's Bay, Airfield, Overlord. Combine those two recipe ideas to get most maps in the game. Fun, huh? There sure are some exceptions, but you get the idea. Many newer maps are not really new, just reimaginations of current maps - that would be better off on a rotation to gain some artificial variety on a week-by-week basis. Meta is of course not identical, but still.

Swamp is a mess, and the way it usually plays out is directly caused by a number of gameplay-denying map features. I.e. 'open-area zones prone to crossfire from multiple bushes and ridges'. 

Edited by Aikl, 19 January 2018 - 03:14 PM.

ZlatanArKung #9 Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles

View PostRati_Festa, on 19 January 2018 - 02:56 PM, said:

Problem with grand battles us that they fit twice as many tanks in.

So the map gets just as crowded anyway.

Personally I would like to see a less crowded game, ie, less tanks/team.

Maybe down to 10 from 15.

_T_1_T_4_N_0_ #10 Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27102 battles
  • [SQCI] SQCI

View PostZlatanArKung, on 19 January 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

Hence why we need additional 15v15 maps of larger scale for battle tiers 9 & 10 under the Grand Battles option.
T11 is a T10 tank sink hence why its 30v30 and its a good idea but more supporting higher tier maps are needed.

Rati_Festa #11 Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 40225 battles

View PostZlatanArKung, on 19 January 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

I've not really found that, I've been playing lights a lot and its great to zoom/sneak about without being constantly under threat of being one shot or ambushed by a BC. I particularly like Klondike it reminds of that map (aesthetically) they took out that had the really deep valley and the mine in the middle and ridges with bushes to hide in. That was a larger map as well and great for scouts.

Random_Humanoid #12 Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:28 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17058 battles

as someone who hardly ever plays this cancer game anymore (arty, game balance, maps)  have a look at what we get in war thunder

Attached Files

• Attached File   ThUwTmg.png   669.4K
  • Attached File   shot-2014.11.20-15.54.31.jpg   317K

tajj7 #13 Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 24391 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostWunderWurst, on 19 January 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

Well. From what I have seen on the SandBox and what WG announced back in the day they were focusing on remaking them and not "chaning" the gameplay.

And dont get your hopes up to be honest. The remake could already have included MINOR changes which would have made a lot of maps noticably better, yet nothing of sorts happened.

After all the release is supposed to be set somewhere in March. And I dont think that they will release without major testing.

So NO many of the abyssmal maps will stay. The gameplay wont be touched for now, and if touched most certainly for the worse - see Grand Battle maps here. Its more than unlikely to not see all these absmal camping spots remain or further being added.

Based on what we saw on the test server I'd say 3-4 maps had fairly big changes that will change the meta on those maps, another 3-4 had minor changes that might make a meta change and the rest are basically re-skins. 

Sadly in some cases the camping spots on some maps are WORSE not better. 

OreH75 #14 Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 46178 battles
  • [3V] 3V

View PostRandom_Humanoid, on 22 January 2018 - 12:28 AM, said:

as someone who hardly ever plays this QQ game anymore (arty, game balance, maps)  have a look at what we get in war thunder

Fine with me I you prefer respawns and one shots, have fun in WT!

Edited by OreH75, 22 January 2018 - 04:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users