At what point is Premium ammo too far?

Premium ammo Gold ammo Gold ammo limit Less Skill

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Jezza123 #1 Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:07 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22132 battles

Before people say anything, I'm happy with the idea of premium ammo and having that reserve of extra penetration when you need it is a great idea. If you're a low tier tank in a bad match up or you come across something you simply can't penetrate with standard then you need that gold ammo sometimes for the extra oomph. 

That being said the sheer amount of tanks that I come across now that just have it loaded as standard, especially in tier 10 just feels crazy. when you're sitting in something fairly soft skinned and have tier 10 meds and heavies firing at you from the off with gold ammunition and just blasting it away from the get go just feels like it removes so much skill from the game and sucks so much enjoyment out of it. For me a lot of the time it literally feels like a "no skill button" rather than a small reserve of "just in case" which I think it should be.

Does anyone else agree that there should be some sort of cap on how many premium shells can be loaded per tank per battle? Thus turning it into that "just in case" ammunition that I, and a lot of people feel that it should be, instead of just no skill loading it from the start point and click do damage, which is what it's very rapidly turning into. 

RaxipIx #2 Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31117 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

If you are playing something soft, and they shoot with prem ammo, but regular ammo would pen just as well, so then whats the fuss? 

cragarion #3 Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:14 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 44585 battles
The only time premium ammo is to far is when it hits me other than that i fire nothing but premium ammo and even then i sometimes bounce on weak spots :trollface:

vasilinhorulezz #4 Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22813 battles

I shoot premium at Type 5s and Mauses, just for the lolz,

even if i'm shooting at their @sses :trollface:.

Homer_J #5 Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:22 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29674 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostJezza123, on 22 January 2018 - 10:07 PM, said:

Does anyone else agree that there should be some sort of cap on how many premium shells can be loaded per tank per battle?

There already is.

And if you are in a lightly armoured tank then what does it matter if someone shoots premium at you?  Apart from a couple of exceptions it doesn't hurt any more.

ZlatanArKung #6 Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:26 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles
I think premium ammo is a terribly bad idea.

Jezza123 #7 Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:32 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22132 battles

View PostRaxipIx, on 22 January 2018 - 10:14 PM, said:

If you are playing something soft, and they shoot with prem ammo, but regular ammo would pen just as well, so then whats the fuss? 

As in for example just played a game in the Caernarvon, in a tier 10 matchup I'd class that as pretty soft, however the turrets pretty strong so can be competitve-ish in the right position, came up against a super Conq first tank which can butter me all over the hull pretty easily, I take up a hull down position and that gives me a "possibility" of bouncing therefore using skill to play, but the conq just loading up gold straight away and firing it blindly at me penning no matter where he aims, just takes completely no skill and that's what the arguments about, for the most the gold just removes any sort of skill form the game, and without any skill where's the fun trying to outplay when you're for example a low tier?

Homer_J #8 Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:42 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29674 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Here's a skill for you - don't get shot.

qqq10 #9 Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:53 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 23497 battles

View PostJezza123, on 22 January 2018 - 10:32 PM, said:

As in for example just played a game in the Caernarvon, in a tier 10 matchup I'd class that as pretty soft, however the turrets pretty strong so can be competitve-ish in the right position...

That's pretty much the only situation I condemn using gold. With the current crappy MM I'd be quite pissed if a higher tier nullified my only advantage just by pressing 2 twice. Otherwise, who cares. Prem ammo is there to use it when you need that penetration boost (or sometimes the speed). If someone is spamming it at paper targets, then the joke's on him - he's the one wasting credits. The only exceptions I make from using it only when I really need it are tanks with idiotic armor (Maus, Type, a lot of russians...) and when I'm playing something low tier just for lols.

brumbarr #10 Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:05 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

View PostJezza123, on 22 January 2018 - 11:07 PM, said:

Before people say anything, I'm happy with the idea of premium ammo and having that reserve of extra penetration when you need it is a great idea. If you're a low tier tank in a bad match up or you come across something you simply can't penetrate with standard then you need that gold ammo sometimes for the extra oomph. 

That being said the sheer amount of tanks that I come across now that just have it loaded as standard, especially in tier 10 just feels crazy. when you're sitting in something fairly soft skinned and have tier 10 meds and heavies firing at you from the off with gold ammunition and just blasting it away from the get go just feels like it removes so much skill from the game and sucks so much enjoyment out of it. For me a lot of the time it literally feels like a "no skill button" rather than a small reserve of "just in case" which I think it should be.

Does anyone else agree that there should be some sort of cap on how many premium shells can be loaded per tank per battle? Thus turning it into that "just in case" ammunition that I, and a lot of people feel that it should be, instead of just no skill loading it from the start point and click do damage, which is what it's very rapidly turning into. 

Where you are wrong is that gold ammo removes skill, the skill in this game is positioning, not aiming for weakspots.

TheOneAboveAII #11 Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:10 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16267 battles
  • [QSF] QSF

View Postbrumbarr, on 23 January 2018 - 12:05 AM, said:

Where you are wrong is that gold ammo removes skill, the skill in this game is positioning, not aiming for weakspots.

Of course aiming is not necessary...just load gold or a stupid derp gun auto aim and go...all done.

Tinbawx #12 Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14747 battles
  • [SNOB] SNOB

Premium ammo has already gone to far. Imo we wouldn´t be experiencing the current armour creep without it.

The problem with premium ammo is that there´s a massive conflict of interest with WG, when it comes to balancing it or the parameters that make it desireable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users