World of Tanks Blitz... A perfect model for the good 'ol World of Tanks!

matchmaking goldammo gold arty blitz

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Walking_Taco #1 Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4114 battles
  • [GRIME] GRIME

WARNING! English is not my native language (I am from Belgium), yet I think that the biggest audience is here, on the English forums.

If you don't have much time, beware, this one is long!

New year passed and I got myself a nice new smartphone. My old one kinda broke so yes... 

When I started to get used to it I thought what of the gaming apps could I play now since I have the chance and I immediatly thought about Blitz. Why not? I play world of tanks, so why not mobile? I downloaded it, played it untill tier 6 or so and made my conclusions.

Before I start, is it true that Blitz is made by thesame company that made World of Tanks? Because I CAN NOT believe that!

In the normal World of Tanks, there are 3 problems that make me RAGE almost every match I play. Even my platoon mates are getting triggered by my salt levels sometimes. Yet, I never ALT-F4'ed by my rage (is that an archievement? Maybe...).

Those 3 problems are (ordered from 1) the most annoying to 3) the least annoying):

1. Matchmaking
  2. Gold spam
  3. Artillery(even more after the "nerf" with stun)

1) Matchmaking

Even with the template matchmaking WG implemented, the matchmaking is still garbage.

I have made an matchmaking track on my (kinda) most favourite tanks: Kv-3, Kv-4 and Scorpion G.

Each time I played with one of these 3 tanks, I recorded the matchmaking, the amount of different tiers and mainly my position in the battle.

I made a classification in the form of bottom-mid-top matchmaking, since you can get 2-tier difference matchmaking.

I did this untill I had played 50 battles for each tank. (Currently planning to do research on a bigger scale with more tanks, and more stats recordings together with a libary of screenshots of every game recorded)

Here a table with the percentages:

BOTTOM TIER MM MIDDLE TIER MM TOP TIER MM
KV-3 50% 42% 8%
KV-4 44% 34% 22%
SCORPION

40%

42% 18%

Observation N°1: We can clearly see that there is a big gap between the KV-3 top matchmaking and the KV-4/Scorpion matchmaking. This gap, in my opinion, explains that there are way too much tier 8 tanks. Premium tanks to be exact. Because of the overpopulation of this tier, tanks that are a tier lower (like the Kv-3) tend to see more often tier 8.

Observation N°2: We can also see that KV-4/Scorpion have a lower low/mid mm to top mm difference (80%AVG > 20%AVG) compared to the Kv-3 that has a higher low/mid mm to top mm difference (92% > 8%). This explains, again, that lower tier tanks (7 and potentially 6) suffer more of a "bad" (honestly, I prefer the words "non profitable", "non competetive", "filler" ) matchmaking compared to the 2 tier 8 tanks.

Observation N°3: At last, I don't think it is a coincidence that KV-3 has the highest percentage of low tier mm (and I know, if I had done more tier 7 tanks, I would know for sure), and it has to do with the fact that there are way more tier 8 tanks that get "matched" with tier 7 tanks compared to the low amount of tier 9 tanks "matched" with tier 8 tanks.

Now, this was maybe an interesting thing to observe, the essence is this: matchmaking is still bad, worse if you ask me. Because not only do I get the feeling that I am always underpositioned in a match, but my playstyle is slowly degrading to a level where I play extremly passively and rather let the high tiers fight it out and after snack from the leftovers myself.

I used the word "filler" before. This is definetly true when I play with the KV-3 and I get a tier 7-9 matchmaking. I feel more like food instead of a player that can help out the team. I feel as if I am there to fill the open player spaces. And basically, it is a 14 vs 15 battle, because my effect on, let say a Type 4 heavy or any other tier 9 tank, is nearly 0.

Long story short, I am here to talk about these problems SOLVED in Blitz. When I played Blitz, not a single time did I get +2 tier matchmaking! You play in a match with only tanks of the same tier or against tanks that are 1 tier lower or higher that you. As simple as that. I never raged because of non profitable matchmaking. Every game, I could effect the battle and PLAY instead of PASSIVELY WAIT untill the big tiers are down. Yes, there were some mistakes. Some times (like 4 times out of 400(!) matches) I was the only tier 5 and all the other tanks were tier 6 (same for the enemy) and sometimes there were problems with the platoons.

But even then, the matchmaking was way more attractive and simply better than in World of Tanks. World of Warplanes has same +1 tier matchmaking and honestly, I don't think it's so hard to change this. Only imagine, template matchmaking with +1 matchmaking... Smells like heaven! 

2) Goldspam

To be honest, I have nothing against "gold" ammo (it's not even only gold anymore, but silver to. Only this change makes the premium ammo less pay to win to me!). Gold ammo is sometimes needed when you just can't pen your enemy or, when you see that your team pushes, you simply need to secure that damage. What I strongly dissaprove is the fact that people spam gold ammo, even for situations and tanks that don't even need it! I've encountered it so often with my KV-3/4's, it really starting to hurt me. Because yes, it is so much easier to spend some of your silver/gold/wallet on some premium ammo and shoot strait into me without aiming instead of aiming for a weakspot to pen with normal ammo. This triggers me really a lot, especially the gold rounds on the Type 4 and 5 Heavies. These Japanese heavies are the true Kings of idiotism. With other tanks that you have, you need to make a choice between normal AP or maybe HEAT or APCR or something like that. The is at least a difference in ammo type, handling and penetration. The only difference in the ammo of the Type 4/5 is damage, what basically tells you "hey, you have a wallet full of money? Good, now you can spend some for more damage!".

But even this problem is adressed in Blitz. Let's have a look at the IS-7 from Blitz and World of Tanks.

IS-7 Blitz version IS-7 WoT version
AP Damage 460 avg dmg 490 avg dmg
AP Penetration 260 mm 250 mm
APCR Damage 390 avg dmg 490 avg dmg
APCR Penetration 303 mm 303 mm
HE Damage 600 avg dmg 640 avg dmg
HE Penetration 68 mm 68 mm

We can see that there are some small differences in stats, mostly because the Blitz version of the IS-7 has been fit-balanced for the mobile version. There is, on the other hand, a big difference that is metachanging. If you look closer, the penetration on the APCR rounds is equal, but the average damage is 20% less on the Blitz version! Take in account that the shell velocity and price of the APCR rounds is equal. Why is this so important? Well, now you actually feel a compensated advantage-disadvantage effect when using premium ammo. In World of Tanks, you only get an increase of penetration and, in the case of the Type 4/5, an increase in damage. Here in Blitz, when you use premium ammo, you get indeed a penetration advantage but at the cost of damage. It means that while you have more chance to pen and damage your enemy, the actual damage inflicted will be lower. This means that when you are skilled and aim for the weak spots, you get "rewarded" with the full potential of your gun and when you spend your wallet and shoot only premiums, your damage total drops.

In my opinion, this is a great balancing factor for the premium rounds. It will not only (mostly) prevent players from goldspam, but will create new opportunities of choice.

3) Artillery

To be honest, I prefer the artillery before the stun "nerf"(patch 9.18). First, I don't see that as a nerf, instead, artillery just got more annoying because of that aftereffect. Yes, you can use the medkit, but the cooldown is 90 seconds and most of the artilleries reload faster, wich means that if one has a focus on you, you will eventually suffer from the stun. Second, they made artillery obsolete in some way because of the insanely lowered damage. There is no "rewarding feel" in shooting enemies, except the stun that is, most of the time, (kinda) useless.

So how is this fixed in Blitz? Very simple. There is no artillery. Not a single one. Ofcourse, it is a bit too drastic to remove the artillery completely, altho I enjoy playing as a heavy knowing there won't be any artillery and is never going to be in Blitz. For World of Tanks, this is not an option. 

What I do see as an option is to, if we look at the damage before the stun patch, reduce the overall damage of every artillery by 15% and decrease the HE pen with 10%. This way, artillery players will still have good damage, but will be less deadly to some tanks. Decreasing the accuracy is also a good option.

I am certainly that person who hates artillery out of my hart, but the 9.18 patch made it worse.

So, what do you think? Is it possible to see some of the Blitz mechanics in World of Tanks? Or do you disagree with me?

Thanks for reading!

Walking_Taco

Balc0ra #2 Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:40 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67337 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostWalking_Taco, on 25 January 2018 - 08:32 PM, said:

So, what do you think? Is it possible to see some of the Blitz mechanics in World of Tanks? Or do you disagree with me?

Here something to keep in mind. Blitz is a 7 vs 7. Not a 15 vs 15. It's all +1. Mines there is 400 x 400 iirc. Their population is also way way lower. So +1 is done so you don't wait for 5 min each time. Thus all tanks are different vs PC. So that the battles are not over in 2 min's as they would be if they had PC stats. Tier 1 tanks have more HP then most tier 4's here, and the tier 5 HT's have close to 1K HP. Marder 38 has close to 250 alpha. The Matilda IV has 86 pen on a low roll and 800 HP or what it is. And most premiums have a optional 2nd gun. Like the IS-6 so you can get more pen and less dpm. The balances there work for a 7 vs 7 mode. Not all those things are ideal for a 15 vs 15 mode on maps 2 to 3 times bigger.

Walking_Taco #3 Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:52 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4114 battles
  • [GRIME] GRIME

View PostBalc0ra, on 25 January 2018 - 07:40 PM, said:

Here something to keep in mind. Blitz is a 7 vs 7. Not a 15 vs 15. It's all +1. Mines there is 400 x 400 iirc. Their population is also way way lower. So +1 is done so you don't wait for 5 min each time. Thus all tanks are different vs PC. So that the battles are not over in 2 min's as they would be if they had PC stats. Tier 1 tanks have more HP then most tier 4's here, and the tier 5 HT's have close to 1K HP. Marder 38 has close to 250 alpha. The Matilda IV has 86 pen on a low roll and 800 HP or what it is. And most premiums have a optional 2nd gun. Like the IS-6 so you can get more pen and less dpm. The balances there work for a 7 vs 7 mode. Not all those things are ideal for a 15 vs 15 mode on maps 2 to 3 times bigger.

Fair enough, yet, I look more not at a change that is in "raw" stats (like, I don't want is-7 in World of Tanks be exacly thesame as in Blitz), but more of a to the ground changed concept of premium ammo. What I don't understand is how a closer matchmaking is not benefiting a bigger community? I would expect big tier differences in a low population community where there aren't too much players?

Junglist_ #4 Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37706 battles

Not too sure about the premium ammo solution, that would work in PC WoT about 2 years ago but now since the massive armor powercreep the premium ammo is very often the only chance you have to damage enemy.

I'm all for removing SPGs and +/-1 MM but that won't ever happen. 

Massive armor powercreep + constant bottom tier in -/+2 MM to frustrate people in order to shoot more premium -lower the credit earnings, or if not shooting premium being less effective in battle and less exp earned making the grinds longer and 'making' people buy premium accounts = more money. And as long people will keep playing and will spend crazy amounts of money (like during Christmas on loot boxes) WG won't change anything. And with the upcoming 9.22 patch were getting more heavily armored high tier tanks.

Also if I'm not mistaken Blitz plans to introduce/ introduced reduction of RNG on penetration to 15% which would be nice.

Homer_J #5 Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29674 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Tried Blitz, terrible gameplay on tablet, phone, or PC.

And it's pure pay to progress.  Don't want to earn exp, just throw your wallet at it.  You can just buy exp, no need to earn it and convert it.

But if you enjoy Blitz then great, install it on your PC and have fun.

Goodbye.

jack_timber #6 Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:00 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34440 battles

That's an 'ell of a dissertation..

If you enjoy it play it.

Tried it can't say I really enjoyed it but grandson does so every one to their own.

jack_timber #7 Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:02 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34440 battles
Oops double post. .

Edited by jack_timber, 25 January 2018 - 10:03 PM.

Also tagged with matchmaking, goldammo, gold, arty, blitz

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users