Jump to content


HD maps? Bushes move?


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Condono #1 Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:18 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 10417 battles
  • 470
  • [13KIL] 13KIL
  • Member since:
    11-05-2011
I was looking at mighty jingles HD map video on youtube and I kept noticing that when he drove into a bush then the bush moves or get rustled around. Made me wonder, will enemy also see it moving? Any ideas? Will this be some sort of new bush mechanic?

HundeWurst #2 Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 70196 battles
  • 4,379
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS
  • Member since:
    02-06-2012

Yes they said that this might be added to the game.

 

Funfact. This was at least (and maybe still can be) exploitable via mods. We all know the dear dear destruction indicator mod, or however its called. The same is possible to do with these moving bushes. Aka a mod could tell the positions of bushes moving around on the minimap. Is that not great news?

 



Dis4ster #3 Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:23 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 27952 battles
  • 2,952
  • Member since:
    02-12-2012
No way, that would be to much for this potato servers and russian potato PCs to handle and if they do it client based, there would be again tons of cheatmods that would tell you in which bush someone sits.

Jethro_Grey #4 Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:25 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 4304 battles
  • 534
  • [KAIN] KAIN
  • Member since:
    08-01-2015
Well, simple solution: don't kemp bush then. :hiding:

Somnorila #5 Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:49 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 55981 battles
  • 2,034
  • [4-YOU] 4-YOU
  • Member since:
    10-13-2012

View PostWunderWurst, on 26 January 2018 - 05:21 PM, said:

Yes they said that this might be added to the game.

 

Funfact. This was at least (and maybe still can be) exploitable via mods. We all know the dear dear destruction indicator mod, or however its called. The same is possible to do with these moving bushes. Aka a mod could tell the positions of bushes moving around on the minimap. Is that not great news?

 

 

Awesome news! That's why i say that maps should be properly designed where every piece of rubble and tree has a purpose. No more this cosmetic stuff. This is a game not a painting. And move every destructible element server side away from mods and from being manipulated and exploited. 

If i think a bit i really miss old clean maps. 


Edited by Somnorila, 26 January 2018 - 05:50 PM.


SandDanAdua #6 Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:57 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 11288 battles
  • 133
  • Member since:
    12-11-2016

View PostWunderWurst, on 26 January 2018 - 05:21 PM, said:

Yes they said that this might be added to the game.

 

Funfact. This was at least (and maybe still can be) exploitable via mods. We all know the dear dear destruction indicator mod, or however its called. The same is possible to do with these moving bushes. Aka a mod could tell the positions of bushes moving around on the minimap. Is that not great news?

 

 

NONONOONONONONOON PLS NO

MrEdweird #7 Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:00 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 20255 battles
  • 368
  • [CIRC2] CIRC2
  • Member since:
    08-19-2011
No, don't recall where but one of the Q&As said that they specifically considered watching bushes move but they decided to keep it so that only you can see it move if you are not spotted.

Homer_J #8 Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:28 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 29674 battles
  • 31,403
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

I'm pretty certain these effects are all client side.  Tracking movement of all those inconsequential flying bricks on the server would be too CPU and network intensive.

 

So if you see a tank drive through a bush then you will see the effects.  If you don't see the tank you won't.  Arty will see objects get destroyed but not hay bales running around the field.



unrealname #9 Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:43 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 24034 battles
  • 1,153
  • Member since:
    10-31-2013
well at least in tests of hd maps that i have seen, those movements on bushes are visible only for player who drives into them, just as a visual effect, from enemy point of view there is no visible change, unless wg devs have changed something.

Edited by Bond90, 27 January 2018 - 02:43 AM.


Somnorila #10 Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:51 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 55981 battles
  • 2,034
  • [4-YOU] 4-YOU
  • Member since:
    10-13-2012

View PostHomer_J, on 26 January 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

I'm pretty certain these effects are all client side.  Tracking movement of all those inconsequential flying bricks on the server would be too CPU and network intensive.

 

So if you see a tank drive through a bush then you will see the effects.  If you don't see the tank you won't.  Arty will see objects get destroyed but not hay bales running around the field.

 

You see, the issue with client base destructibles is that they can be included in to mods to gather information about player positions. So with tech increase instead on focusing on making the game more eye candy to attract 12 year olds i would rather see them polish the game as much as possible in regards of being a proper game, more towards the competitive part as it's core pvp game. So cleaner gameplay with simple mechanics and lean clean maps that have competitive pvp purpose in design. Hence aiming at taking down exploits and other any type of possibility to get an advantage in a way that might be considered cheating should be their goal. So instead of going HD that and other crap because the tech now allows it, wouldn't be more logic to move potential unfair possibilities server side to nip that at its roots? 

Homer_J #11 Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 29674 battles
  • 31,403
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostSomnorila, on 27 January 2018 - 04:51 AM, said:

 

You see, the issue with client base destructibles is that they can be included in to mods to gather information about player positions.

 

How do you suggest they handle it?

 

If an enemy drives through a house but you cannot see the enemy then should you see the house be destroyed?  If not then what if said enemy then backs up and said building is now between the two of you.  Is it intact for you so you cannot see the enemy through it but destroyed for the enemy so he can see you?



Somnorila #12 Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:33 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 55981 battles
  • 2,034
  • [4-YOU] 4-YOU
  • Member since:
    10-13-2012

View PostHomer_J, on 27 January 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

 

How do you suggest they handle it?

 

If an enemy drives through a house but you cannot see the enemy then should you see the house be destroyed?  If not then what if said enemy then backs up and said building is now between the two of you.  Is it intact for you so you cannot see the enemy through it but destroyed for the enemy so he can see you?

 

They can leave it like now only that the house is not on your client but on the server.

I would also propose, for your predicament, to have tanks always visible in the rendered range and if not spotted you can see only their model without the HUD elements, such as name, class, contour. Those are just added for easier visibility when the tank is spotted, according to game's rules. But your eyes can always see any tank in the rendered area.

Another option would be, if you think that the clutter is way to heavy on bandwidth, to clean the maps of useless clutter such as fences, cars, and whatever else that can be destroyed but has no meaning to the game play. Because those don't work as concealment nor cover. Basically to have only bushes, trees, houses, things that are destructible but can influence a game as they are part of the games's mechanics. And keep only these fewer stuff server side. 



Homer_J #13 Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:53 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 29674 battles
  • 31,403
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostSomnorila, on 27 January 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

 

They can leave it like now only that the house is not on your client but on the server.

Umm what?

 

Currently if a house gets knocked down and you can see it then you see it get knocked down, even if the tank doing it is not visible.

 

Quote

I would also propose, for your predicament, to have tanks always visible in the rendered range

Yeah, open the game to a shedload of new cheats.:facepalm:

Somnorila #14 Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:11 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 55981 battles
  • 2,034
  • [4-YOU] 4-YOU
  • Member since:
    10-13-2012

View PostHomer_J, on 28 January 2018 - 12:53 AM, said:

Umm what?

 

Currently if a house gets knocked down and you can see it then you see it get knocked down, even if the tank doing it is not visible.

 

Quote

I would also propose, for your predicament, to have tanks always visible in the rendered range

Yeah, open the game to a shedload of new cheats.:facepalm:

 

I understand...

Ok, then remove everything that the player can change in the map.

Or maybe remove just the clutter, but keep the building destruction. They already said that will never make all buildings destructible as some buildings are pillars for the gameplay on certain maps. It's not a crime to have less buildings anyway as the city maps are the worst maps out there. So make less buildings destructible, keep only the ones that count and have a clear reason to be on the map, remove everything that is in just for the visual part. Make the maps seem "pretty" with better design. Make those changes visible to the client only in the rendered range. And spot tanks that drive through buildings. This way you make a potential problem part of the gameplay and thus can't be exploited. And has some logic too. A tank driving through a building, in your sight view, is one you can see in real life. And mods showing you destructed object position would be somewhat pointless as you can already see enemies driving through buildings and would be pointless to point you to destructed buildings if some enemy is shooting at a building because is nothing certain that he's close to it or not. Would actually open some new tactics, to not be spotted and still drive through buildings, but then again that would also be kind of pointless. As why would you do that if buildings should and would never be placed in your way. If you're not spotted you could just go around them. Also if the building was your concealment then it doesn't really matter.

I don't really know but i would like WG to actually try and test many different potential real improvements rather than just building premium tanks.



Homer_J #15 Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:05 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 29674 battles
  • 31,403
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostSomnorila, on 28 January 2018 - 08:11 AM, said:

 

I understand...

Ok, then remove everything that the player can change in the map.

 

A bit drastic, and it doesn't only apply to buildings.  A forest with no trees will look a bit odd, and not being able to drive through them would have a detrimental effect on gameplay.

 

I have thought that destroying objects should lower your camo rating though.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users