M56 Scorpion: worth the money or not?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Iridiumalloy #1 Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9383 battles
  • [KWA] KWA

I am interested to know how many people who have the M56 Scorpion (American tier 7 tank destroyer) rate this as worth the money.

I paid over 20 euros for this tank in the Jan 2018 advertising campaign. I found that it did not live up to the amazing claims made for it by Wargaming.

Phrases like "Great camoflage", "You can't see me..." suggest that the tank will be difficult to spot. Mine was equipped with a Camo net and even remaining completely stationary in bushes other tanks spotted me easily from a distance. The gun is described as "accurate" and has a quoted dispersion of 0.33 m at 100m but in fact my British tier 4 Matilda medium tank is much more accurate in practice and it has a quoted dispersion of 0.36m at 100m.

For those who have not bought this tank but are thinking of it my advise would be: Don't believe the advertising! Consider very carefully before spending money on this tank. Do so ONLY if you are sure you want it, unless, of course, you have money to waste and want to make Wargaming richer.

Any comments or view points by other M56 tank owners are very welcome

bitslice #2 Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21680 battles

I hardly ever see these in a matchup, so I'd guess they aren't very popular.

Even when they were first introduced into the game you only saw them for a week, then they all disappeared.

I saw one last night, I don't remember it ranking high at the end of the game.

The Skorpion G is vastly better, even though it has zero camo.

I suck at WoT yet I'm 82 games in and I'm still at 60% WR (I average 50%) - even though last night I died in almost every game after doing nothing

The problem I think is that some bushes in the game are a lie.

There are some that I've sat in (in a leopard) and been undetected until someone drives into my autospot circle, yet those on the small flank hill on mines - tanks are routinely spotted behind those from anywhere.

Plus there are almost no bushes on the current maps that you can fire from and remain unspotted, and most maps have no bushes anyway. So camo is a bit redundant, so if that's the main plus for your tank then you've been shafted.

Its big plus was I think its depression? and that it's a 3 pixel target on a ridge line, but you'd have to be a fair way back for that to keep you alive, so good luck with attempting that on World of Corridors.

Years ago when bushes existed this would have been a great tank, but now anything without 400mm frontal armour is a dead man walking in this meta

Edited by bitslice, 26 January 2018 - 10:10 PM.

vasilinhorulezz #3 Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21244 battles

If you really need a crew trainer for US TD crews, you still have the HTC from the campaign, so probably not really usefull, although US lack a tier 8 premium TD.

Personally I find it unappealing.

Edited by vasilinhorulezz, 26 January 2018 - 10:13 PM.

DrEsqueleto #4 Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21268 battles
  • [DSNL] DSNL

I have one and to be honest I hate the moment I decided to buy it.

It has only 1 mm armor all around.

It has been promoted to be a very good ridge fighter...  well, it isn't and by far.

Why? 

This TD only has 10 degrees gun depression, for most ridges you need more to be able to only show your gun. You have tos how much more of your vehicle to be able to shoot, also a negative is that most of the times you have to be very close behind or even in front of bushes/cover to be able to shoot.

Next to that, it has a huge hitbox above the gun.!  Don't listen to people who say it hasn't, it has.!  And everyone can easily hit and penetrate it.

This TD is also a oneshot for most tanks and artillery, specially when they use HE.!!!

Reload is mèh, 9.12 shots/minute when using a rammer and BIA.

(With camo net, on 4 crew members camo skill 100% and camo paint (exterior).)

Than Camo is 56% and after shooting 13%, but if someone is closer than 445 meters... you'll be spotted when shooting, even from cover.

(Most maps now don't have an option to go back in cover. It even looks like it that with patch 1.0 WG has removed even more good.descent snipe spots. << They removed the bushes and or flattened the ground or made that bulge or hill steeper.

To make this TD work:

- it needs more than 10 degrees depression like 12-15,

- perhaps a more reliable and perhaps faster loading gun 

and most important:

- the gun should be turned around (mounted up side down). >> The gun will be mounted higher, but the positive effect will be that there will be much less (turret) armor sticking above it. Making it much more difficult to hit.  << It has been done on higher tiers, so why not also on a vehicle we actually have payed for.!?!

If you make lots of credits with it or do a lot of damage... than you really have a good team that spots for you or you're just very very lucky. (Remember, you have to equipe a camo net, binocular and rammer.)

Edited by DrEsqueleto, 26 March 2018 - 10:53 PM.

MarcoStrapone #5 Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32577 battles
  • [-GODS] -GODS
its sure worth for WG  (drunk) department. :trollface:. plz no warning points.

ThinGun #6 Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32813 battles

I have one, and I love it.  It's not like any other US TD - it's probably closer to a Marder 38 in game play.  It's fairly well camouflaged, and has a damned good gun with a fairly quick reload.  But .. the best thing about it is - it's speed.  Nip into cover, fire a couple of rounds, disappear.  If you get spotted, relocate to the other side of the map.  
If you get the right sort of team, on the right map. you can cause all sorts trouble.

But it's a difficult tank to play - I've played over 500 games in it, and I'm still learning.

failing_koala #7 Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:02 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 25125 battles
M56 is a very good TD for its tier, but needs a lot of skill to play it right.

Lentomies1 #8 Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 28391 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
It's a great tank. I'm loving mine. (hard to play tho)

lord_chipmonk #9 Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:24 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32183 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-
I have fun in mine, but it isn't a very good tank. The gun depression is nice though.

Ziurawka #10 Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20024 battles
  • [NLUFA] NLUFA

I found it extremely situational after exchanging SU-122-44 for it. 

Pretty happy with the exchange though.

It seems to be a great machine if you can find a hill with some cover that you can reach before getting spotted. 

On city maps it's laughable, on open maps pray not to be focused by arties. 

I'd play it much more if it didn't have the 45 km/h speed limit which limits the number of positions you can get to and the ability to flex. 

Ze_HOFF_fverhoef #11 Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:26 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14882 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

It seems it's one of those tanks that most people do not fancy, but a few really love it.

With that in mind, I would advise you to check it out on a test server, whenever there's one life.

But I guess you want to make use of the current sale.... so then it's up to you whether you make the gamble or not :)

pudelikael #12 Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18357 battles

NO NO NO, this tank out of date. i own and never play anymore this tank. very bad credit maker too

Look this http://wotreplays.eu...el-m56_scorpion

I made 1800 damage and ofc lost and how much credit  i made? only 39k+5k event

Nice premium tank, u make same profit like KV-1

Edited by pudelikael, 27 March 2018 - 03:37 PM.

L0ddy #13 Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:47 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 83947 battles
  • [TWD] TWD

I would say no, unless it's due a buff

Viewrange = bad

Alpha = bad

R.o.F = bad

Camo - good

Mobility - good

Gun handling - bad

Accuracy - not too bad

hope that helps

:)

Azgabast #14 Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:50 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 18369 battles

I like the tank, it's puny, goes to 45km/h in a couple of seconds, has awesome pen, small exposure when it shoots (if showing only gunshield).

The problem for me is the traverse speed, 12degrees/s if I recall correctly, which can be a problem when trying to track fast tanks.

I use it like the T67, binos camo rammer, get close but not too close as to be spotted.

edit: having 1mm of armor, it will take damage for any kind of collision with the enemy, so it might be a guilty pleasure of some to just push into you for continuous damage. Try to laugh it off I guess.

Edited by Azgabast, 27 March 2018 - 03:53 PM.

discontinued #15 Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5434 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Simple answer,

No its not worth it, however it is good at completing the campaigns,

it is very stealthy with 100% cammo crew and paint. however you get annoyed by the fact it bounces and misses a lot of shots. and reveals itself after firing, like a fire in a tyre factory.

Also its not very usefull as a crew trainer.

If you want stealth the Chinese TD at tier 6 is very good and its free!

Trillock1945 #16 Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14741 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I have one which I bought a year or so ago, and cheaper back then too....:)

It used to be fun for me, and I enjoyed playing it, but now when it mostly gets tier 9 games, and up against the newish tanks in tier 8 and 9, it makes it a bit obsolete, so I don't play it much these days.

It can make some credits, and a bit more using premium account, but I don't have the heart to sell off the little thing.

It was an actual vehicle in WWII, and it was made light so that it could be air dropped to troops in a battle, hence the crappy 1mm of armour all round.

Surprisingly I found it could take a few hits, which meant you had a bit of a chance to scarper somewhere else, to fight there, but also it can be one easily shot too.

I am not sure I would recommend it these days, but a while back it was fun to play.

lord_chipmonk #17 Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32183 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostTrillock1945, on 27 March 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

It used to be fun for me, and I enjoyed playing it, but now when it mostly gets tier 9 games, and up against the newish tanks in tier 8 and 9, it makes it a bit obsolete, so I don't play it much these days.

Doesn't stop you "forcing" me to play it from time to time. ;)

TheOddRogue #18 Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:10 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9977 battles
Some love it, some hate it. It's high skill cap tank. 

lord_chipmonk #19 Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32183 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostTheOddRogue, on 27 March 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

Some love it, some hate it. It's high skill cap tank. 

I'd like to agree with you, but it doesn't exactly have stellar mobility either. 

Panokko #20 Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:19 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 25803 battles
  • [HOFF] HOFF
I got mine when it was discounted. It was certainly worth the discounted price in gold. I can recommend.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users