Which is your worst Tier X Heavy

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

VsUK #1 Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14288 battles
Just wondering what other people think is the worst Tier X heavy. 
I vote for the E-100 & here's my own opinion. 
It's slow, so you you will often find yourself last to the front line. It s aiming time is almost 3s & trying to hit a moving target is just not worth trying. The hull armour says its got 240mm effective armour lower plate & 350mm upper plate, this is without setting your tank at an angle. The sides are around 180mm effective armour & no point mentioning the rear. The turret has around 280mm frontal & 160mm sides. But that's playable if you work it right. But the problem is, a lot of these maps are not flat maps, they have dips & slopes. The Tank has virtually 0 gun depression & all what people shoot at is the visors sticking out the ends of the turret like a shell magnet. You can't win against tanks with a low turret, because they will have a clear shot at you when you have 0 shot at them, due to the fact the gun is mounted low in the turret & the tanks in the Russian line don't. I've seen players with very good stats rage about being taken out by a men without getting a single shot, because they had no shot. It's effectively an upside down skip with a turret mounted on top. 

Now here's the strange thing. A Maus only has 10mm more frontal turret armour than the E-100, but if a tank on lower ground is shooting up at you & lets face it, a lot of the Russian tanks have a lower profile than the E-100, nose to nose, your having to shoot down at them. On tanks.gg, there's a 13% chance to pen the E-100 turret, the Maus says 32%. But can anyone remember the last time they penned the maus frontal turret? But practically every shot pens a E-100 frontal turret.  

Then lets get to the reload time & traverse speed. If you get rushed by any med & you have no help. You won't win in open field. Only chance you have is to charge to the nearest rock/house or hill side. Then due to the slowness of the aim, any med will pop a shot at you & move into safety long before you've fully aimed up. I find my E-75 more playable than the E-100. I do far better in the E-75 than the E-100 & even better in my Action X. Because you're on a level playing field with the Russian tanks, which in my opinion. Are being overly powerful & unrealistic to hits received, example. Shooting the side of a 907, I penned but only did just over 300hp damage from a shot that should do 750. I've not managed to do 750HP damage for a while & the only time I have, was on a light tank. 

Now that's my view, the E-100 is the worst heavy in the game. Please be polite & on topic. If you can't be polite & on topic, then refrain from commenting at all. No one needs your attention seeking comments. 
So again, stick to topic, no rudeness or provocative comments. It just isn't called for.

unhappy_bunny #2 Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:15 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18576 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

I only have the one, IS-7, so I guess that makes it both my best and my worst TX tank. 

It's certainly not my "go to" fun tank. 

I'm a very reluctant TX player, only playing if the platoon desires a TX battle. 

Vossil #3 Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 17694 battles

The Kranvagn followed by the Grille 15.

You can easily penetrate a Maus' turret that is looking directly at you. Just press that 2 key and aim at the cheeks.

dimethylcadmium #4 Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7642 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A
Kranvagn's quite bad

arthurwellsley #5 Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:27 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 52133 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

Personally I quite enjoy the e100, and like the gun and the ammunition choices. If you can find the correct target to put HE into it produces a world of hurt. Frontally against tier X heavies the premium shell is required. If however you find yourself facing a tier VIII then normally the normal shell will be quite sufficient. Thus I like it for the challenge of pre-loading the correct shell for the next enemy. Does not always work but at least it makes you think about shell choice.

I rarely play the IS4, the Maus is simply better at soaking up damage. I rarely play my IS7, the wz 5A is better. I rarely play my 121, all the USSR mediums are better and even the 113 is better. STB-1, and CAX have been surpassed by the M48 Patton since it's buffs. Leopard 1 is in a class of it's own, and WG say it's too strong to be buffed ....

250swb #6 Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:42 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 23141 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I don't know about the worst (I tend not to like tier X anyway, and have played relatively few games) but the Kranvagn has to be the most disappointing as it falls short at every parameter given the hype that initially surrounded it. The Maus on the other hand is too good and too boring, so I've retired that, but because it isn't much fun it could be thought of as bad for the game.

SyJoMa #7 Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 25415 battles

I've got experience only with 113 and E100 and E100 is clearly the loser here. Sure when you get a good game you can wreck stuff, but it's way too situational. Hill-peek fighting (like on malinovka hill) is impossible. You're slow, so enemy will see the top part of your flat turret way before you even get a glance at his cupolas...And usually HEAT will just penetrate the turret even if angled. Same problem with side-scrape fight. As soon as you try to turn your turret, the enemy will pen you with HEAT and go back to cover. 

I admit, I do suck playing E100, maybe someone can get around these problems :)

I actually think E100 is at it's best when second line support. Hide behind cover, when the those ruski heavies start brawling you can peek and boom... I have been thinking of putting it's crew to VK-B line and maybe try it again when times change

Shizuthink #8 Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35148 battles
  • [ZEON] ZEON
IS-4 is pretty bad.

leggasiini #9 Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:25 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 15163 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Either Kran or IS-4, im favoring the former more tbf

Kranvagn is just bad; bad pen + bad handling + bad reload with platform that has no HP and no hull armor is frustrating combination. Not to mention the only advantage it has gets 100% negated by type5s, 183s, arta and basically any semi-OK HE shell (kran takes a lot of HE damage). Whenever it doesnt use the turret and depression, its a shitty 50B/ T57. Whenever you block nothing with it, you played a tank that in that match was a significantly inferior version of both of those. The low HP is really bad too because it makes it rely on the turret even more.

IS-4 is also pretty bad but as whole it's a bit better in this meta, just because of 340 HEAT pen and 2500 HP, but it is heavily powercreeped by proper super-heavies. Kranvagn is at least kinda "unique", even if it is "bad" while being unique.

unrealname #10 Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24034 battles
E5, no competition

Exozen #11 Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31051 battles
IS-4 is not even worthy of the tier X tag , but my biggest hate relationship must be the 113 , i hate that tank these days and its all down to the weak ammorack.

Edited by Exozen, 31 January 2018 - 08:47 PM.

Ricky_Rolls #12 Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 66954 battles
Kranvagn, is4, t57.

Uebergewicht #13 Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles

My personal or in general? Though, admittedly, it´d probably be the same.

IS-4 has been powercrept to hell. It´s "decent" all around armor does not hold up at all against high penetration guns and gold rounds, and only works under heavy angling in the first place which hinders any kind of offensive play. Then its also got a turret weakspot and an overmatchable engine deck. It´s way too slow for being comparatively fragile, and the firepower is not impressive on all fronts.

The Kranvagn, yeah, while its still an autoloader, the derpy gun and low pen can make it really hard to actually clip anybody. You cant always rely on hulldown, and even if you do you need to face any threat directly and not give even a slight angle, and you should also hope you dont just get derpd by HE. Oh and the intra-clip reload is reaaaaally long...

Those two don´t compare in the slightest to my other tier 10 heavies, the Maus and IS-7. The Maus is a steamrolling monster and the IS-7 an ideal assault tank. Especially when compared with the IS-4, the IS-7 has better mobility, all around armor, alpha and gun handling... and only 100HP less. That´s not really a contest.

Edited by Uebergewicht, 31 January 2018 - 09:35 PM.

hasnainrakha57 #14 Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14635 battles
  • [WFTTE] WFTTE
Lately I have been posting topics for e100

somegras #15 Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

General

• Player
  • 49765 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View PostVsUK, on 31 January 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

Shooting the side of a 907, I penned but only did just over 300hp damage from a shot that should do 750. I've not managed to do 750HP damage for a while & the only time I have, was on a light tank.

Stop shooting HE. :rolleyes:

leggasiini #16 Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:11 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 15163 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View Postsomegras, on 31 January 2018 - 10:34 PM, said:

It’s the guy who mentioned the 75 pen on the Type 5... :hiding:

VsUK #17 Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14288 battles

View Postsomegras, on 31 January 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

HE is all I find myself using as I some how become a magnet for either Tier X Russian meds or type 5's. When all you can do is use HE.

I don't use gold out of principle. I don't think anyone should be able to pay for a better ammo to pen tanks on a regular basis. I have 4 rounds stocked on every tier 9/10 tank just in those emergencies. But rarely use them. But found myself using it more against type 5's. One situation I was in my Active X on Himmelsdorf if I spelt it correctly. The type 5 had his rear to me, focused on the jp e100 ahead of him. I took 4 shots at his rear & every one failed to pen. I switched to HE & the damage wasn't worth even bothering with. I switched to premium ammo & it was like shooting at egg shells, every one penned. Used up the 4 rounds & back to standard & the failed to pen. 

Maybe I'm just better at playing meds than my E-100 or using my E-100 like a med. 

Homer_J #18 Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29674 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostVsUK, on 31 January 2018 - 04:10 PM, said:

Now here's the strange thing. A Maus only has 10mm more frontal turret armour than the E-100, but if a tank on lower ground is shooting up at you & lets face it, a lot of the Russian tanks have a lower profile than the E-100, nose to nose, your having to shoot down at them. On tanks.gg, there's a 13% chance to pen the E-100 turret, the Maus says 32%.

With what gun and which ammo?

If you leave tanks.gg at default then it uses the tanks own gun and standard AP.  Nobody is using the E100 standard AP against the front of an E100 turret.

_Davidge_ #19 Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11933 battles
I have only E 100 and I feel it is XP pinata.

UrQuan #20 Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:26 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20067 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostVsUK, on 31 January 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

Now here's the strange thing. A Maus only has 10mm more frontal turret armour than the E-100, but if a tank on lower ground is shooting up at you & lets face it, a lot of the Russian tanks have a lower profile than the E-100, nose to nose, your having to shoot down at them. On tanks.gg, there's a 13% chance to pen the E-100 turret, the Maus says 32%. But can anyone remember the last time they penned the maus frontal turret? But practically every shot pens a E-100 frontal turret.  

If you shoot from lower ground at one of those two, the E-100 turret is indeed better then the Maus one. Reason is simple: armor angles: E-100 turret is sloped backward. Shoot at it from a lower point & the angle increases the armor value further. The Maus does not have this, because the front turret armor is curved, so the undercurve negates the extra angle it had when shooting from a lower vantage point.

Still, 30% is not really something to try to pen, unless you're desperate.

Most folks also shoot at level ground at these tanks & then the armor difference is smaller & the Maus turret pennable surface is smaller due to the curve, offering some high values when your shot diverts from your center of aim (I'm assuming you aim at the mid part of the bulge: weakest), while E-100 turret face is more uniform, if you can pen it at one place, you can pen it on other parts too, so if your shot doesn't go center, you still will likely pen the turretface.

E-100 has great ammo capacity tho & is one of the few tanks where all 3 shells are viable to use, from AP, to HEAT & HE on the big gun, each with their own role & function.

I still pay my respects to any E-100 I see, not respecting that tank can get you a high damage blast in your poor tank & then you're crippled for the rest of the match.

Worst TX I got is the IS-4, I still like it, but the lacking ammo capacity means that I don't take it out often, I just get too twitchy knowing I only got 30 shells to do the job with, not something I want in this era of super-heavies at TX.

Edited by UrQuan, 01 February 2018 - 12:54 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users