best high tier tech-tree tanks for non-premium players

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

HassenderZerhacker #1 Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:49 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23543 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

I have been thinking lately about which high tier ( >= 8) tanks would work best for non-premium players.

as non-premium players don't want to go broke quickly, the first thing of course is penetration. so we are looking for tanks with high pen for their tier

then we want survivability, at high tiers this mostly means armor that can bounce some shots at least from the turret and good gun depression to remain hull hull down

in order to farm more credits, the tank needs good viewrange

and finally, in order to be able to score in the late game, it also needs mobility and DPM

so considering all of the above, I have come up with tank shortlists per tier.

what do you think of these, do you agree, disagree, why, and would you add other tanks to the list?

tier 8:

Centurion Mk.I

Emil I

IS-3

tier 9:

Centurion 7/1

WZ-120

Emil II

tier 10:

obj 140

T62A

M48 patton

kranvagn

STB-1

AMX 50 Foch B

AMX M4 54

Ehern #2 Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19206 battles
  • [DTM] DTM
Is3
T10
IS7 or wait foe the new imba crap

russky idiocracy this game is

Gardar7 #3 Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:59 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22676 battles
  • [VKG-] VKG-
T-54 is "da" best moneymaker.

Mimos_A #4 Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21286 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

I usually make credits in the AMX30 Prot. It has enough penetration to go through most things if you know what you're aiming at and with the DPM and mobility you just rack up the damage ridiculously fast.

The 7/1 has good pen, but the aiming time and dpm make it too slow to rack up enough damage to consistently do well credits wise.

According to VBaddict theT49 has the best net income at tier 9 btw ;) O-Ho at tier 8, so I'd say go derp. Except then the Super Conq comes in best at tier 10

Edited by Mimos_A, 01 February 2018 - 01:01 PM.

leggasiini #5 Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 9584 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Block Quote

tier 8:

Centurion Mk.I yeah one of the better F2P mediums at tier8, high base pen and great view range

Emil I slow, bad gun handling, bad view range, pretty unprofitable, so definitely nope

IS-3 agree, high alpha and pen

+ some TDs with high pen and high alpha like ISU-152; pens often, deals a lot damage and survives more, generally

+ O-Ho with the derp gun never needs to fire premium, survives often and has dirt cheap shells, which makes it generally the most profitable tank at tier 8 that isn't a premium and HE guns in general are profitable

tier 9:

Centurion 7/1 i guess, kinda like Cent 1 in many regards

WZ-120 nope, derpy gun that tends to miss alot and benefits from premium ammo

Emil II hell no, has APCR without any benefits of APCR, shitty standard and premium pen, bad reload, bad accuracy, handling, view range, and is very sluggish; VERY unprofitable

+ again, high alpha TDs with high pen are profitable

+ standard HE Type 4, though it is really mediocre with standard HE and puts you at massive disadvantage VS gold HE Type 4s because 40% less damage than them (P2W yay)

+ Leo PTA and Type 61 - very nice standard pen for their, good view range

+ T49 with derp; never needs to fire premium to do well, gets spotting damage for spotting and HE guns in general are profitable

+ T-10; fast, good view range, good handling, good penetration. While it benefits from HEAT, it can do perfectly well without.

tier 10:

obj 140 yeah, why not, I mean none of the tier 10s are very profitable and this one is not something that forces premium use

T62A ^, though as extra this is overall worse than the 140

M48 patton yeah sure

kranvagn LOL NO, same gun as EMIL II so penetration is an issue, still potato handling, poor view range, etc etc. Definitely not profitable.

STB-1 Terrible gun handling and poor accuracy, nuff said. Not profitable at all.

AMX 50 Foch B Terrible pen for a TD, requires some gold use. Not profitable at all.

AMX M4 54 120 mm gun is technically profitable, but you might as well play the Super Conqueror which is a flat out better tank than the AMX M4 54 with the 120 mm gun. The 130 mm gun makes AMX somewhat usable but requires some prem ammo use; as the HE also sucks and the prem ammo tends to bounce given how bad it is; not profitable at all

+ again, high alpha + high pen TDs are a bit more profitable, like 268 and JP E100

+ standard HE 183/4005, though that is stupid when you could use HESH and do much better

+ standard HE Type 5, probably the most profitable tier 10 with that setup but again, fairly stupid as it puts you at major disadvantage VS other Type 5s as you do around ~40% less damage than them (P2W yay, again)

+ derp Sheridan, though it derp sucks on it

Among with that, any arty on any tier is kinda profitable if you dont fire premium HE nor use consumable, and LTs are also a bit more profitable in regard that they are cheaper to repair

HassenderZerhacker #6 Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:50 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23543 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View Postleggasiini, on 01 February 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

Among with that, any arty on any tier is kinda profitable if you dont fire premium HE nor use consumable, and LTs are also a bit more profitable in regard that they are cheaper to repair

Thanks for the interesting comments!

I should have added another requirement: tanks that can work well on any map.

also, I prefer tanks that are fairly mobile, anything slower than an IS-3 does not qualify, which rules out most well armored TDs and slow heavies.

I find tanks with weak armor have bad survivability and get shafted by many maps, for example Leo PTA.

The T-10 is decent but I found it too frail to brawl on flat terrain and it's gun depression is inadequate for distance/hill fighting.

and as far as arty is concerned: just say no to arty.

Edited by HassenderZerhacker, 01 February 2018 - 01:51 PM.

Uebergewicht #7 Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
  • [ATD] ATD
I would have added the Object 263 if, you know, they werent gonna screw it over next patch. It´s pretty cheap to run, hardly needs prem, has mobility, armor and firepower, though it requires a special playstyle to get around the poor gun angles.

s0r1n3l #8 Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:57 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21821 battles
  • [_ELF_] _ELF_

Good VR tanks, since doing dmg with your own spotting get you better xp and credits. On my S.Conqueror i use coated optics and with 486 VR i do get a decent amount of assists every game.

PS. If you can`t pen something, track it, the assisted dmg adds up.

Edited by s0r1n3l, 01 February 2018 - 01:58 PM.

MeNoobTank #9 Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:36 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9205 battles

View Postleggasiini, on 01 February 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

wait..what ? Emil II has bad pen for a tier 9? It has 252 pen for top gun which I find to be pretty avarage but not at all bad. Yeah most of the heavies got 257 pen but is not a big difference. It still has way better pen than the German heavies.

leggasiini #10 Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:39 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 9584 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostMeNoobTank, on 01 February 2018 - 03:36 PM, said:

wait..what ? Emil II has bad pen for a tier 9? It has 252 pen for top gun which I find to be pretty avarage but not at all bad. Yeah most of the heavies got 257 pen but is not a big difference. It still has way better pen than the German heavies.

Technically its average, but its APCR so it gets worse normalization than AP. Effectively the pen is worse than 252 mm pen AP.

Its not really that "bad", its rather lacking but the bad accuracy and handling makes it feel worse.

luumu #11 Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:44 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 41923 battles
Russian meds are propably worst line for non-premium users. T9's are The biggest credit sinks in the game. Very expensive rounds, might even have the worst credit per dmg value, with bad pen. And the prem.rounds are among the best inn class

teh_policer #12 Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:58 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14951 battles
  • [BG-UF] BG-UF

You said non-premium users, but you didn't say non-premium tanks.

So i will suggest you to buy some premium tanks and there we go.

OR

For example you don't even need to buy T25 Pilot. I have this tank (my only tier 8 premium) and it's really good money maker. Cheap consumables, high pen, good mobility decent turret armor.

If you are trying to NOT loose money (silver) you should limit your games in HT to minimum, cause they are the most expensive to play.

If you know how to play GOOD, i think the best option for 9 and 10 are light tanks with the idea to spot and limit the fire.

HassenderZerhacker #13 Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:04 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23543 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View Postteh_policer, on 01 February 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

You said non-premium users, but you didn't say non-premium tanks.

So i will suggest you to buy some premium tanks and there we go.

OR

For example you don't even need to buy T25 Pilot. I have this tank (my only tier 8 premium) and it's really good money maker. Cheap consumables, high pen, good mobility decent turret armor.

If you are trying to NOT loose money (silver) you should limit your games in HT to minimum, cause they are the most expensive to play.

If you know how to play GOOD, i think the best option for 9 and 10 are light tanks with the idea to spot and limit the fire.

look at the thread title: "tech tree tanks"

this thread is not primarily about money making, it is about being successful with the tank, meaning being able to influence a battle, making good damage, etc. 

but tanks that require gold spamming are unsustainable for F2P players.

new list so far:

tier 8:

Centurion Mk.I

IS-3

(under reservations) O-Ho

tier 9:

Centurion 7/1

(under reservations) T49, T-10

tier 10:

obj 140

T62A

M48 patton

Obj 263

(under reservations) AMX M4 54, sheridan

somegras #14 Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:13 PM

General

• Player
  • 46091 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
I wouldn't bother with the russian meds unless you are willing to spend a ton of free xp and credits on the tier 9.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users