Are tanks becoming too fast, view range too high and maps too small

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Noo_Noo #1 Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:16 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21559 battles

Just wondering this where I've had a few occasions of late where I may be in one of the slower tanks in the game but basically losing half your HP right at the start of the game before you've even driven anywhere. It's not a case of taking a poorly judged route either just simply being spotted by clever play but the problem being exasperated by the speed of some tanks and view range combined with the size of the maps. 

Basically in some instances its possible to move to certain spots and basically spot nearly everything leaving the spawn. 

jimbobjammybob #2 Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:21 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 618 battles
  • [TH1NK] TH1NK

View PostNoo_Noo, on 08 February 2018 - 01:16 PM, said:

Just wondering this where I've had a few occasions of late where I may be in one of the slower tanks in the game but basically losing half your HP right at the start of the game before you've even driven anywhere. It's not a case of taking a poorly judged route either just simply being spotted by clever play but the problem being exasperated by the speed of some tanks and view range combined with the size of the maps. 

Basically in some instances its possible to move to certain spots and basically spot nearly everything leaving the spawn. 

You have not really provided much information. what tank are you talking about specifically and if more generally what tier/tiers.

tankqull #3 Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19094 battles
  • [-FD-] -FD-

maps are to small for t8+

the new grand battle maps should be used for 15vs15 at t8+ as they are pure slaughterhouses the first few minutes as you have 2x amount of tanks facing each other on a front merely 20% longer than outside of grandbattles

leading to:

</=600m -> T1/2

</=800m -> T3/4

</=1000m ->5-8

>1000m t9/10

Noo_Noo #4 Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:33 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21559 battles

View Postjimbobjammybob, on 08 February 2018 - 01:21 PM, said:

You have not really provided much information. what tank are you talking about specifically and if more generally what tier/tiers.

Mines, Mountain pass, Ensk and others are all maps that from tier 6 up and you dont get a favourable spawn you can be a sitting duck in a slow tank and they have fast spotter with some brains. Nothing against the players that do it but it becomes a little annoying when there isn't much you can do about it. 

_Sensation_ #5 Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:50 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6043 battles
  • [OMNI] OMNI
In which maps did you got flanked? Himmelsdorf?:trollface:

vasilinhorulezz #6 Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21061 battles

In most maps, no.

You can move to locations without getting insta spotted, a few occassions where you can't avoid it is, 

Mountain pass south spawn,

if you want to drive from the left flank to J3, you can get spotted from mid, 

Ensk,

when you try to cross the railway

and Swamp,

if you try to go to G5 from the north spawn.

On all other maps you can avoid it by taking a longer route, to the location you want to go.

HidesHisFace #7 Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17507 battles

It is part of what we call powercreep - it also applies to armour, penetration, damage output and so on.

It is a sort of a natural process in games like this - every new introduced line has to be good enough to justify researching it - and the easiest way of doing so is by making them simply better, maybe with some gimmicky flaws so the people won't notice right away. It is a sign of poor balancing and it is a vicious cycle - if the new tanks are not better, people will dismiss them, but making them better shifts meta and forces endless buffs, which in the end leaves some older vehicles obsolete.

Same goes for maps - the size of the maps didn't change much, but vierange did - almost everything from tier 8 and on has 390-400 viewrange anyway and one of the reasons for corridor meta we have now is to avoid immediate early spotting. WG generally doesn't like bigger maps because it would likely interfere with their game flow idea of fast battles and would require a ton of balance changes to plenty of vehicles.

HeidenSieker #8 Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:13 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

Oh it's just not fair, is it. Oh dear (wrings hands, applies small onion to eye) oh dear. Stop crying & get on with the game.

iztok #9 Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 35163 battles

Are tanks becoming too fast, view range too high and maps too small

Under which stone have you been hiding the last 4 or so years? :sceptic:

Aine #10 Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:59 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 18069 battles
  • [MCARD] MCARD

View PostHeidenSieker, on 08 February 2018 - 01:13 PM, said:

Oh it's just not fair, is it. Oh dear (wrings hands, applies small onion to eye) oh dear. Stop crying & get on with the game.

Maybe you should not post at all, instead of insulting people.

Aikl #11 Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:01 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostNoo_Noo, on 08 February 2018 - 12:33 PM, said:

Mines, Mountain pass, Ensk and others are all maps that from tier 6 up and you dont get a favourable spawn you can be a sitting duck in a slow tank and they have fast spotter with some brains. Nothing against the players that do it but it becomes a little annoying when there isn't much you can do about it. 

While mobility is supposed to be an achilles heel, getting shot when going to a position is essentially just lazy map design. But hey, lights can be useful, so there's that! :P

Noo_Noo #12 Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:07 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21559 battles

View PostHeidenSieker, on 08 February 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

Just go and bury your head in the sand heiden. you're not even funny. if you bother to read my first post you'll see it was an observation not a whine. But yet again you've decided to make something up to suit your agenda.

Pretty pathetic attempt at internet bullying to be honest. You are, at best a pathetic little creature. 

Edited by Noo_Noo, 08 February 2018 - 08:16 PM.

Noo_Noo #13 Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:12 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21559 battles

View PostHidesHisFace, on 08 February 2018 - 02:08 PM, said:

It is part of what we call powercreep - it also applies to armour, penetration, damage output and so on.

It is a sort of a natural process in games like this - every new introduced line has to be good enough to justify researching it - and the easiest way of doing so is by making them simply better, maybe with some gimmicky flaws so the people won't notice right away. It is a sign of poor balancing and it is a vicious cycle - if the new tanks are not better, people will dismiss them, but making them better shifts meta and forces endless buffs, which in the end leaves some older vehicles obsolete.

Same goes for maps - the size of the maps didn't change much, but vierange did - almost everything from tier 8 and on has 390-400 viewrange anyway and one of the reasons for corridor meta we have now is to avoid immediate early spotting. WG generally doesn't like bigger maps because it would likely interfere with their game flow idea of fast battles and would require a ton of balance changes to plenty of vehicles.

Pretty much my thoughts as well to be honest, I just thing the way the game is going the tanks are very quickly outgrowing the maps. 

There's also a very clear movement towards tanks with mobility. Some heavies now are moving pretty fast and even now we have the OBJ 268 v4 which can shift as well. Throw in view ranges exceeded 445m then I just think it adds up to affecting your in game decisions. On some maps its almost at the point where your spawn position dictates which direction you go simply because the delay in going the other direction is becoming too risky. 

Bordhaw #14 Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9539 battles

View PostNoo_Noo, on 08 February 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

Quit playing British heavy tanks lol ... or quit playing British tanks. 

Edited by Bordhaw, 08 February 2018 - 08:25 PM.

Omeron_1 #15 Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:28 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 11358 battles
:-)

Noo_Noo #16 Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:54 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21559 battles

View PostBordhaw, on 08 February 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

Quit playing British heavy tanks lol ... or quit playing British tanks. 

Good one. :great:

Actually enjoying the line, dont ask me why but I seem to get along with them. 

Schemezoid #17 Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:42 AM

Major

• Player
  • 20116 battles

View PostNoo_Noo, on 08 February 2018 - 07:54 PM, said:

Actually enjoying the line, dont ask me why but I seem to get along with them. 

Currently grinding the cent 7/1, it's fun. Aaltho i have yet to play this new patch

Noo_Noo #18 Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:51 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 21559 battles

View PostSchemezoid, on 09 February 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

Currently grinding the cent 7/1, it's fun. Aaltho i have yet to play this new patch

I have the Centurion 1 which isn't too bad at all. 

I really like the Caernarfon (proper spelling not the English cr**). 

Thing is though you can really feel the tier gaps in these tanks. Top tier in the Centurion is a bit of a bully. bottom tier its like Woah, not so good at all. But hey I'm Joe Average so its clear where the good players earn their stripes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users