Did anyone bother with the new paint/camo system?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

NoPoet406 #1 Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2351 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

It just occurred to me that the much-lauded (by WG) new painting/camo system has not been mentioned by, well, anyone, in ages. And while I rarely take part in tier 8 or above games, I've never seen any customised tanks in those games. I get that it was an unnecessary addition to the game, and by only being allowed at the highest tiers, was too restrictive to see widespread use. There has been no subsequent mention of it being implemented for the lower tiers at all, which they originally suggested they might. This means the world will likely never see a pink Matilda BP.

Does anyone actually use the customised painting system? How expensive is it in gold and do you feel it's worth it? Do you see many tanks customised in this way?

From where I'm standing, it seems like they made the whole painting and camoflage system too complicated and too expensive. Does anybody think that they got it right and made the system better?

Shaade_Silentpaw #2 Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:14 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21117 battles

I use it, and i've seen plenty of others using it. It's a godsend for some of the nations that had crappy camos and base paint.

It is definitely more expensive though...but on the flip side, you can now take camos off of one tank and put them on another for free.

As for the lower tiers, they will do it - it's just going to take time. They can't just do those immediately while also adding new USSR tanks, Italian tanks AND HD maps.

They have said this is only the beginning, so just be patient.

OreH75 #3 Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:14 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 46108 battles
  • [3V] 3V

I don't paint complete tanks in funny colors, but I like to combine transparent winter camo with a nice base paint underneath, something like this:

LSSJpB8.jpg

Furthermore I like the fact you have much more options for customization, e.g. different colorschemes for some camo's or different scales of the patterns. And I dont think its to expensive, if you grind a line you only need 3 hull camo's to receive the bonus and since you can move camo's around you dont need to buy many of them.

Edited by OreH75, 09 February 2018 - 12:19 AM.

Balc0ra #4 Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:20 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62806 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostNoPoet406, on 08 February 2018 - 11:58 PM, said:

From where I'm standing, it seems like they made the whole painting and camoflage system too complicated and too expensive. Does anybody think that they got it right and made the system better?

Expensive? Depends. On some it's actually cheaper on camo alone vs before. Even less so on TD's that most only need one for, vs a full set on high tiers that did cost way more. And you don't have to buy one for every tank you own as you can movie it around. Same for emblems. I sold off most of them and use them on some tanks I play vs those I've not touched for months. As those are more expensive vs before indeed. Even more so on lower tiers. As for complicated? Well sure most might not know that you can move it around, or that they have things in stock. As UI is not WG's strong side. But the last patch added some buttons to make sorting easier for most to understand.

Then again on paint I suspect there are two reason for why not many are using it or talk about it. 1: It's limited to one tier for all tanks, and another tier for premiums only. And 2: Most paints combos etc is not seen most by default. So why play around and pay for something only a handful of the players will see... if that. Tho I suspect the tiers paint work on will expand later.

Personally I like the new system. It's even friendlier for f2p players. As camo will be rewarded on other events I'm sure. And the gift camo set works on 3 tanks if you a "cheap" enough. Still better vs before. And the silver option works for 100 games. Not 7 or 30 days that you might use the tank 10 times or so. So again, for free 2 play players. It's a way more friendlier option IMO. As it will still be there if they take a 2 month break.

Edited by Balc0ra, 09 February 2018 - 12:23 AM.

FluffyRedFox #5 Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:24 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21564 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
yup

Strappster #6 Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:34 AM

General

• Player
  • 23587 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Using various base paints under camo with transparent elements ...

... and this one's playing with the colour options - first is standard large blob camo with the optional purple shade, second is winter stripes with a solid white gun barrel (which looks much better IMO) and third is desert camo on top of a base coat (the dark red/brown circles).

I love the new system and can happily spend ages messing about in the paint shop. :)

K_A #7 Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:38 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13566 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I've dabbled with the system, transparent winter stuff are the best looking imo, and I have a couple tier 10's that have a white pattern over a red base coat which are quite nice in my opinion. 

XxKuzkina_MatxX #8 Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:41 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 44833 battles
Not really, useless boring stuff. Painting my pixel tank to make it look pretty sounds silly to me.

Rato_Black_Baron #9 Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:43 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30654 battles

I have no interest in customisation. But I used to buy permanent camos for my keepers. Not anymore.

They gave 3 sets of camouflage (for the 3 types of maps) to all players, that you can apply to any tank.

So in my perspective this was more of a statement, that this is a free to play game.
Gaving everyone the camo bonus, was a leveling move between the players.
Everyone can have access to the camo bonus. Spending money on customisation is just aesthetic now.
Just an oportunity to say - "See? We will never think in crossing the Rubicon again."

But I keep seeing entire teams without camo, and I rarely see those free patterns!?!
So I'm starting to think that this system was primarely (and temporarily) a gift to players who check the forum regularly?!?

Slyspy #10 Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:51 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14169 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I can't really be bothered to figure out all the options.

Strappster #11 Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:41 AM

General

• Player
  • 23587 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 08 February 2018 - 11:41 PM, said:

Painting my pixel tank to make it look pretty sounds silly to me.

It's all silly if you stop to think about it. Grown men playing tanky wargames? Very silly. I find it's best not to bother analysing it too much and simply enjoy it for what it is. :deer:

XxKuzkina_MatxX #12 Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 44833 battles

View PostStrappster, on 09 February 2018 - 02:41 AM, said:

It's all silly if you stop to think about it. Grown men playing tanky wargames? Very silly. I find it's best not to bother analysing it too much and simply enjoy it for what it is. :deer:

Passing time playing games is within the limits of normal behavior i guess, be it chess or tanks doesn't make much of a difference but painting tanks for the benefit of just looking cool is outside my operating parameters :)

Strappster #13 Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:55 AM

General

• Player
  • 23587 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 09 February 2018 - 12:48 AM, said:

Passing time playing games is within the limits of normal behavior i guess, be it chess or tanks doesn't make much of a difference but painting tanks for the benefit of just looking cool is outside my operating parameters

I couldn't give a stuff whether they look cool, I do it because it makes me smile. If it happens to annoy a purist at the same time, it's even better. :)

XxKuzkina_MatxX #14 Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:05 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 44833 battles

View PostStrappster, on 09 February 2018 - 02:55 AM, said:

I couldn't give a stuff whether they look cool, I do it because it makes me smile.

Well, that response made me smile :)

Desyatnik_Pansy #15 Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:21 AM

Bartender

• Player
  • 14408 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

I have no real interests in the paint thing since I can use an actual reskin pack for what I want already, and I neither have to pay any Gold for that nor do I have to do so on multiple tanks. For example I hate the French blue base, so I use FastestClassic's Vert Olive or Gris Vert packs instead, and it affects all French vehicles instead of just my Lorr. 40t (the only French vehicle I own that can apply the new paints).

On the other hand, I rather enjoy the new options with camouflage. Some patterns having different options and the ability to mess with the scalings is nice, though I wish more patterns had options (the main one that comes to mind is the German "Octopus Pattern". It has a horrible original colour of yellow and red, whereas the historical pattern was a dark green and yellow instead, and that's just to name one pattern I'd like more options with) as well as the scaling was expanded more (atm you can switch between small, medium and large; 0.8, 1.0 and 1.2 Respectively. On some tanks such as the Lorraine Tier VII Arty, even the large scaling still looks terrible).

My only problem with the camouflage changes is it really screwed over custom camouflages. Custom camouflages that only edit the pattern dds files are fine, though they might be screwed over if you modified the colours if it has different colour options. However actually editing the colours in the customisation.xml files pre-Customisation basically got killed, and though I'm sure it can still be done one way or another, it's likely to be so much more annoying to do.

View PostNoPoet406, on 08 February 2018 - 10:58 PM, said:

There has been no subsequent mention of it being implemented for the lower tiers at all, which they originally suggested they might. This means the world will likely never see a pink Matilda BP.

I think low tiers will be added in time. Customisation means adding a new alpha layer or whatever into the GMM Files and so doing it for every tank can be a bit slow. That's why they initially only did Tier Xs and VIII Premiums. I see no reason that they won't implement the system across all tiers, at most with the lower tiers (I and II) maybe being ignored.

Killtech #16 Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:23 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27837 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

i have removed all camo from gun barrels. it looks better that way and i got a lot of free camo i can apply to other tanks now. generally the ability to move camo around for free to the tanks currently played is a great addition for me and probably all people that have many tanks.

as paints go, yeah i have used them... but since only a very few tanks can be customized in that way it's mostly a non-existing feature for me. from the object 705A texture bug in 0.9.22 public test i realized that WG has to rework all textures in order to make them paintable. that of course takes time and people therefore i don't expect it being widely available anytime soon. but when it's there for the tanks i play most of the time i will make use of it. 

Isharial #17 Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:35 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 18327 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I like it

have colours and things on my WZ 120 FT, UK base makes it look a creamy white, looks great in it :)

also got a few colours on my newest prem, the T-54 Proto... the others though I either cant add it, or just don't play them enough to warrant it

the camos are nice too, and the variations on some make it less of the same when adding camo's to new tanks

I don't much like the weird non historical purples, blues and yellows though... but I don't see them often enough to worry about it... even the Christmas camos are few and far between

Jumping_Turtle #18 Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:56 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 58577 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT
Yes me. Redone quite a lot with the holidays gold I got. Certainly the different color choices on some camos I like. And the option to have it small, medium and large is nice.

Spend some time on new tanks looking at different cammos and which I like best.

PowJay #19 Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:24 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 33818 battles

In all honesty, just about all of my long-term, definite keeper tanks were camouflaged a long time ago. More recently I have been having mixed success with a number of tanks and I haven't really been keen to keep some of them. The others I have been unsure about because I have been wondering if I have just been lucky with them, rather than skilled.

I haven't bought any camo for Gold for a while before these new patterns were introduced. I don't intend to any time soon. The rental camo provides the bonus and a 100 battle deal is pretty cool.

Homer_J #20 Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:18 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27072 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I think overall it's great.

I removed the camo from all my low tier tank gun barrels and managed to repaint all my remaining tanks with some left over.

And the rental system for 100 battles is much better than the old overpriced system of a set number of days.

As for the primary school colours I have not seen any yet.  I have seen a couple of abuses of the "historical" base paints but really they didn't look as bad as the Patriot or Libertie anyway.  I guess it cost WG nothing to add those colours and if nobody uses them then it's no harm done.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users