WoT 1.0 HD Maps are... awful? pointless?

HD maps pointless wg is useless

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Megatron_77 #1 Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:23 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19211 battles

Look, i absolutely love the graphics, really goodjob there. but omw the maps themselves are awful (even worse now)? 

i haven't gone through all of the maps so i will type on how i see the maps that i played so far:

1. and 2. Prokorovka and Fisherman's Bay - i've always hated prokorovka and disliked fisherman's bay, and now, it is even worse, the middle of the map is extremely flat, u basically expose your entire tank so you can shoot someone else, and then it takes forever to get back into your safe 'zone'.. by then u lost almost all your HP, also: is this a way to buff russian meds with less gun depression? 

3. Redshire - remember that spotting bush from the South spawn at the right flank, on that hill next to heavies? yeah well, that bush is pretty much useless now. And then also, the south spawn can control the heavy flank, u can so easily get hull down on the small hill that divides the 2 small corridors on heavy flank, especially when u are faster than the enemy heavies, so an Obj430u will dominate this area and shoot all the enemy heavies still driving into position, also there are some irritating rock positions where north spawn can just go hulldown and u cant push (also at heavy flank)

4. Overlord, Paris, Mines, Ensk, Airfield, Westfield - all these small/bad map designs are still there so..

5. Fjords - seems like TDs will dominate here, and lights that go on that hill, the hill basically shouts for east side "CLIMB ME DADDY"

6. Abbey - really don't like changes to line 8..

7. Malinovka - removed bushes at top of the hill? why?

8. El Halluf has really strong TD camp position from south spawn

9. Cliff - from south spawn u can slide into a small cliff area to the water and people will be unreachable.. i mean.. u can reach them but u can drown really easily etc.. just shouldnt exist.., oh and why remove A5 camping position for TD's on real server, and then add it to the HD maps with quite literally a path marked out for how to get there?

10. Erlenberg - still extremely bad? or even worse? or better?

11. Steppes - why should north spawn get hulldown position at C0 but not south? remove both..  and still broken F0 TD camp position, south spawn can still camp in mountains, TDs at J3 has huge shots on enemy heavies crossing to G1 now

12. Lakeville - still a really bad map design, i feel like the city is even MORE exposed to the TDs now, but i think the valley is kinda better now

haven;t played siegfried line, live oaks, ruinberg, murovanka, karelia,  serene coast YET.. currently my hopes aren;t very high

Really, what's the point of the HD maps then? To make the game LOOK better? it's basically decorating a virus, and actually making the virus even more deadly.. either WG turned good maps into bad maps, or kept bad maps just as bad,  HD maps will bring players back that quit, for sure, but almost all those players will recognize all the exact reasons why they quit the game in the 1st place, times 10.. map gameplay is worse than before, so many more broken tanks since those players quit.. they will all quit really fast again..

hedgehog_s #2 Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 73253 battles
  • [NR-NS] NR-NS
I like the maps, I like most of the changes BUT WG have missed the point here - we want MORE maps, we want maps like ENSK made BIGGER (or tier limited) not just prettying up.

Junglist_ #3 Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35950 battles

Agree with what you're saying about Fisherman's Bay, Prokhorovka and Steppes. Fjords changes by flattening the middle zone do seem absolutely unnecessary and by the looks of it will lead to even more bush camping TDs. Same goes for Erlenberg, they made the hills super flat with camp positions in the corners. Haven't really played the other maps so can't judge.

Either way theres probably no point complaining since it looks like this is the way they want these maps to be. New era of bush camping TDs and RIP tanks with gun depression.

Megatron_77 #4 Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:40 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19211 battles

View Posthedgehog_s, on 11 February 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

I like the maps, I like most of the changes BUT WG have missed the point here - we want MORE maps, we want maps like ENSK made BIGGER (or tier limited) not just prettying up.

i want maps to be balanced and actually good, why want more maps if it will just also be bad? i'd rather have 40 good maps than 60 bad ones etc

Megatron_77 #5 Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:44 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19211 battles

View PostJunglist_, on 11 February 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

Agree with what you're saying about Fisherman's Bay, Prokhorovka and Steppes. Fjords changes by flattening the middle zone do seem absolutely unnecessary and by the looks of it will lead to even more bush camping TDs. Same goes for Erlenberg, they made the hills super flat with camp positions in the corners. Haven't really played the other maps so can't judge.

Either way theres probably no point complaining since it looks like this is the way they want these maps to be. New era of bush camping TDs and RIP tanks with gun depression.

ikr.. too bad the map rotation is so bad that i can't get to play all of the other maps yet, WG is promoting the armor and TD meta, they do these changes so they can actually play tanks themselves and be useful to the team..  

Megatron_77 #6 Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:57 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19211 battles
oh and btw a T100 just climbed A0 on Redshire.

Homer_J #7 Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Anyone remember how they went around flattening maps before, then decided everything had to have humps and bumps and holes everywhere?

Seems like the same cycle repeating.

Megatron_77 #8 Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19211 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 11 February 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

Anyone remember how they went around flattening maps before, then decided everything had to have humps and bumps and holes everywhere?

hmm, i can't remember such a time, must be before when i started playing, im guessing this was BEFORE the corridor meta was pushed forward? doubt WG will do anything this time 

Balc0ra #9 Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:27 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64364 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Well tbh most of  the map changes is based om feedback from the current maps. And ofc most of it is from RU. As there they have complained about the middle area of Fishermans bay. As A8 campers are always to scared to push an 7 vs 3, because of that one hidden TD they can't see at the back. So more so then not, it's more about what floats your boat. This did not for you on that map. But if it does for the majority. WG will be "happy" either way.

View Posthedgehog_s, on 11 February 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

Since the early stage of Hd maps were done, They added 9 more maps to super test. So in time they will increase it... if they all get to live that is. Inc increasing the size of two maps. Inc Province. But Ensk just needs to get a tier 4-6 limit. As that is always played the worst on tier X. 7 HT on F2. None of them use the 1 or 3 line vs 4 enemy tanks. So they use 1 gun at the time on the two narrow corridors as HT's on tier X vs 5 are not exactly small. And the second the enemy team flanks... they all die in 2 seconds. Never fails.

View PostHomer_J, on 11 February 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

But the standard easy fix buff for all tanks of late have been "just add -10 gun depression". So their plan will work over time.

Edited by Balc0ra, 11 February 2018 - 04:28 PM.

Homer_J #10 Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:46 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostMegatron_77, on 11 February 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

hmm, i can't remember such a time, must be before when i started playing, im guessing this was BEFORE the corridor meta was pushed forward? doubt WG will do anything this time 

Imagine the heavy passage on Karelia as flat as a football pitch.  And Magic forest on Muravanka had no hills and dips, just flat forest floor to the map edge..

Anyway, I just watched a video of every HD map and there's a few which have been levelled but mostly they have kept the character of the maps.

And the important thing is that we make the move to the new engine, then WG no longer have the excuse that they are working on HD maps so can't bring out new ones or rework current ones.  It should be quite easy to tweak those where they have gone wrong.  All the manpower which has been focused on converting maps to HD will be needing something to do.

Shivva #11 Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:57 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29634 battles
  • [J_A_G] J_A_G

View PostMegatron_77, on 11 February 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

was before you started playing 'this' account anyway... was when you were on your 44% winate before you reset.

Simeon85 #12 Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:40 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 1097 battles

Not sure we can really see the changes until they go live with multiple tanks there playing properly. 

Most of the maps have been flattened out, which to me obviously favours Russian tanks and makes tanks with -10 gun depression redundant. It's like every map has been designed for a Russian med or heavy to get hull down. 

Megatron_77 #13 Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:40 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19211 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 11 February 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

Imagine the heavy passage on Karelia as flat as a football pitch.  And Magic forest on Muravanka had no hills and dips, just flat forest floor to the map edge..

Anyway, I just watched a video of every HD map and there's a few which have been levelled but mostly they have kept the character of the maps.

And the important thing is that we make the move to the new engine, then WG no longer have the excuse that they are working on HD maps so can't bring out new ones or rework current ones.  It should be quite easy to tweak those where they have gone wrong.  All the manpower which has been focused on converting maps to HD will be needing something to do.

It's WG man, they will think of some excuse...

View PostShivva, on 11 February 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

was before you started playing 'this' account anyway... was when you were on your 44% winate before you reset.

what? so you are saying this is a 2nd account? can u please say why? lol i hope u are trolling

View PostSimeon85, on 11 February 2018 - 05:40 PM, said:

Not sure we can really see the changes until they go live with multiple tanks there playing properly. 

Most of the maps have been flattened out, which to me obviously favours Russian tanks and makes tanks with -10 gun depression redundant. It's like every map has been designed for a Russian med or heavy to get hull down. 

ikr..

Sharp1903 #14 Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:52 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37349 battles

Now on this map at the middle, even 5 degrees gun depression is enough to fight against the enemy tanks :) 

NoPoet406 #15 Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:23 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2408 battles
  • [USAW] USAW
I upvoted Hedgehog_S not just because I agree with him, but because he remembers when the BTCC was good and the starting grid did not resemble a Halfords car park.

Steve8066 #16 Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:28 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11180 battles
for me pointless whilst MM is broken. Its still a turd, its just gonna be a shiny turd now.

Noo_Noo #17 Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:55 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21559 battles
i think they missed an opportunity here. 

They spent ages getting these right and could have done the same with new maps that actually play a lot better than many of these. 

250swb #18 Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:44 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21699 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I see opportunities with the new HD maps, I don't expect to camp in the same bush as I always camped, which is good.

CptBarney #19 Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:08 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 18996 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--
Well i guess my 121 gets an indirect buff

Edited by CptBarney, 11 February 2018 - 10:09 PM.

Aikl #20 Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:14 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostNoo_Noo, on 11 February 2018 - 07:55 PM, said:

i think they missed an opportunity here. 

They spent ages getting these right and could have done the same with new maps that actually play a lot better than many of these. 

Most likely they weren't too keen on stalling the 1.0 introduction for radically redoing maps, instead falling back to doing some changes based on known problematic map areas. I don't exactly have high hopes, but flattening out maps a bit isn't necessarily a bad idea if you get rid of the vantage points covering them.

Hopefully the recent trend towards basecamping/heavy-corridor has come to an end because WG's realized that even 'casual' players don't find it fun to have practically two options when it comes to play most of the maps in WoT. Steve the IS-7 driver is likely not very happy that he's prevented from using his Russian hovercraft to flank and rush superheavies (and God knows Steve won't be too happy sitting in base and clicking TDs or arties either).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users