What are best and worst tanks in WoT?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

wordsmith #1 Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:26 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13469 battles
I would like to link up an older topic. What is in your opinion best/worst tank you played in WoT and why?

To start I throw mine:

Best-
1. Panther2 - simply enjoy to play, fast, deadly
2. VK3601H - very good armor, excellent gun (8.8cm - makes lot of criticals), tank is slower but still can keep up
3. GW Panther - is the best arty in game IMO, fast, good armor, very good gun (the only thing it can't hurt is T95 - it bounce it even with HE!)

Worst- (pretty much same as before)
1. M4A2E4 - gift premium tank, 2nd worst joke from Wargaming (right  after weirdo matchmaking), mediocre armor, mediocre mobility, shit gun
2. M3 Lee - hate it beyond frontiers, it was real pain to grind through  without premium account, below average armor, below average mobility,  average gun
3. A20 - while tank itself is ok it has no good gun, which is  paradox because A20 is often put into fights vs tier8-9 tanks (19  battles from 20) nay is another sick joke of Wargaming

NucFlashBoogeyman #2 Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:47 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2751 battles
I havent played that long but going by the tanks I have elited and use I would say..

Best
PzkwPf III/IV this tier V tank has super speed, fast Turret turning and can be deadly in the right hands (mine to be exact) mange alot of kills in this tank higest streak is 5 in one game
Type 59 awsome fast tank, you can pawn most things in this thing.. If you have group of them In MM You Win period
VK3002(DB) still learning this tank but have gotten consistant 3 killstreaks on it, good sniper, can damage higher tierd tanks if they are dumb enough to ignore you hehe
Stugg III. this little slugger can be nasty if you hit a few good weak spot on bigger tanks. It can be turned fast also.. and has good speed.. So its great for flanking..
PZ 38(t) I like this tank alot, had alot of fun with it in the lower tiers. Its not fast but it has good accurate gun..

Worst
VK3601(H) even Elited I dont like this tank, Its slow, its gun is not that good and I still feel you die way to fast. compared 2 the Pzkwpf III/IV that is both faster and more agile, I would say it sucks. I know many of you here like it but I personaly feel its Overated...
PZ III this tier 4 tank is usless crap..
Leopard there is nothing that the leopard cant do that the Pzkwpf III(IV) cant do better... so why bother using it??

These are the tanks Iv managedt elit after 14 days play time.. working on panther and T34 and tiger at the moment... so cant say what I think about them jet

nxze #3 Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:53 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17958 battles
Best: tank hmm dont have cuz i mostly play german tanks...

Worst: Tiger definitly
     Panther(usles slow aceleration sucks mobility sucks and not dmg at all)
      Panther 2 got him for fev days and he sucks every hit i loose one module every second hit losse engine and go on fire...not to say abouth repair(get 9-11k per game and pay 12-14k repair)

javerion #4 Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:23 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10102 battles
  • [RAWR] RAWR
best tanks imo is e75 hands down, second most fun tank to drive is e50 same as a king tiger but better sloped armor and fast as heck, third id actually put as is3 that tank is like a medium with a huge gun and the bl9 is decent compared to its tier, very fun to use for city maps etc

i prefer german tanks over russian for most part simply cause guns with high accuracy beats the derp guns even at close range

magicalme #5 Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:28 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19227 battles
  • [ZER0] ZER0

View Postwordsmith, on 23 November 2011 - 01:26 AM, said:

2. M3 Lee - hate it beyond frontiers, it was real pain to grind through  without premium account, below average armor, below average mobility,  average gun
3. A20 - while tank itself is ok it has no good gun, which is  paradox because A20 is often put into fights vs tier8-9 tanks (19  battles from 20) nay is another sick joke of Wargaming
M3 Lee front armor is good for its tier. The gun is also good.
The A20 is a light tank and considered as a scout. The only thing you should shoot at in a high tier match is enemy scouts and arti.

As for my opinion about best tanks on the higher tiers
  • E75 - awesome tank, good sloped front armor and not too weak lower front, strong turret, nice gun
  • T29 - best armor on tier 7 (even the body) with good speed and gun
  • KV-2 - seriously, a tier 5 tank which can choose between a tier 7 AP gun (300/167mm) and a tier 10 HE gun (900/86mm)

Worst tanks is more difficult. Most tanks are good in something. If you like to play that "something", then its a good tank. If not, then its a bad tank. Just see first post VK3601H is best, 2nd post VK3601H is worst. But lets see what I can come up with.
  • T34 (US heavy) - playing against tier 9 tanks with a tier 7 gun (198mm pen) is not fun. And every other tier 9 heavy can penetrate your front turret while virtually every single tank you ever see will penetrate your front body. It is very frustrating to play it. When I get the gun upgrade it will probably improve, but it is still a tier 7 armor. The T29 was very good on tier 7. But sticking a bigger gun on it does not make it a good tier 9 tank.
  • Panther - Neither fast nor agile for a medium. The turret is from the Pz4. The gun choice is either something from tier 5 or an accurate and high penetration gun that needs to hit any target 10 times or more.
  • Tiger - Not a bad tank overall, but equal or worse than the Tiger(P) in any way. It loses against the other tier 7 tanks in most situations. I doubt that "updated track skirt hit boxes" are any real improvement.

JayJay4466 #6 Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:08 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 18307 battles
ok, obviously i can only talk from personal experience so far, but my top three, in no particular order, would be:

1. T29. Hated it at first, but once you get the 105mm on it, its a force to be reckoned with. Best turret armour of anything in its tier and tier above and easy to get into hull down because of low body profile.

2. T20. Had huge fun with this tank- 90mm gun and good armour mean it can hold its own, but is very manouverable so can scout as well if required. Spotted more enemy with this than any of the lights i've had, and could actually kill some of them when i got there!

3. T25 AT. Had to include a td and was a toss up between this and jagdpanther. I chose t25 because of its great manouverability and 56km/h top speed. Fastest and most manouverable td there is (and the 105mm gun is no slouch).

Worst is trickier, but i'll go with these:

1. Tiger. I mainly say this because of how badly i wanted one- the most feared tank of ww2- and how disappointing it was. You can learn to use it effectively, but its not the tough "bruiser" you expect it to be. Sniping's the order of the day, and for me, i'd rather use a td for that.

2. M7. The problem with this fellow is the gun. Its manouverable and quick, but poor firepower and armour. It's just a big light really, only easier to hit.

3. T1 Heavy. Slow, a huge target and underpowered gun. Really not fun to play at all. Lost count of the number of times i was shot by someone i couldn't see- because they can see the T1 from miles away!

As i said- these are my own personal experiences and like the poster above said, i bet you'll get some varied and interesting answers.

Shireknight #7 Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:15 AM

Player

• Veteran
  • 12977 battles
  • [TELOS] TELOS
Best
Jagdtiger Awesome to look at and drive, it instills fear in people who face it and because It's a TD I tend to use it for base and arty defence which generally results in two situations. 1. Enemy tanks that are already heavily damaged trying to cap your base scared to death because they know it must be defended by a 100% Jagdtiger. 2. A pinned down friendly pinging for help near the enemy base struggling against the last one or two enemy survivors at which point I burst into action and go dashing to his aid like the cavalry from those old western films and when you're in a Jagdtiger you ain't scared of nothing at endgame.

VK 2801 Fast and deadly and with camo and a crew trained in camo skill it can literally hide just feet away from an enemy tank without being spotted. I love dashing to a bush in the first minute of a battle, watching all the advance enemy tanks driving past me and then a few minutes later charging into the enemy base to arty spot from a direction that they are convinced has already been cleared of enemy tanks.

Hetzer Can turn on a dime and is deadly to any scout, when fitted with binoculars and camo can also happily sit in a bush spotting for art -awesome dual purpose machine and once fully upgraded is quite nimble too.

Worst
PZ V/IV Turning circle is horrific and gun depression is even worse, sit on so much as a bump on the ground and your gun is totally useless just stuck up in the air, if you want to use it for ambush or long distance sniping it takes minutes of micromanouvers to get your tank positioned just right so you can fire on anything you spot and even then the gun is so weak (even with gold ammo) that it rarely penetrates anything equal to or above it's tier -should be moved down a tier to be honest in order to make it useful.

Panther Given it's reputation from WWII this should be a much feared tank and a pleasure to drive however I find it awfully slow and clumsy, it's top gun is nice and can easily hurt higher placed vehicles than itself but for some reason the tank is just really boring to drive, it's like it's tracks are constantly ploughing through treacle.

KV with big gun Slow to move, slower to aim, even slower to reload. I do not know how anyone can enjoy this tank with the big gun, once it fires it is completely vulnerable to anything that happens to come across it for the next 30 seconds and unfortunately that is a major necessity with this tank because it CANNOT SNIPE so it has no choice but to get up close and personal with the enemy.

Charcharo #8 Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:17 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 20419 battles
  • [ZER0] ZER0
I cant believe people dont like Panther...  :unsure:   :huh:

RedSyndicate #9 Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:17 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 5373 battles

Edited by RedSyndicate, 30 May 2012 - 09:15 PM.

Berbo #10 Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:21 AM

Associate eSports Manager Europe

• eSports Team
  • 28480 battles
  • [F_T_B] F_T_B
Best: (I consider these tanks as best in their tier also)

Object 704
MAUS
E-100
E-50
Patton
Gw Typ E
Object 212
IS-4
T32, T29
T-50-2
PzKpfw 38H735(f)

Worst:

M3 Lee
Hummel
T34
M6

Claymored #11 Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:27 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 9132 battles
Out of the ones I've driven.

Best
Pershing
KV
M4A3E8
PZ3
PZ4

Worst
Panther 1 and 2
VK 3001 (P)
JagdPz IV
M3 lee

wordsmith #12 Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:22 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13469 battles

View Postmagicalme, on 23 November 2011 - 03:28 AM, said:

M3 Lee front armor is good for its tier. The gun is also good.
The  A20 is a light tank and considered as a scout. The only thing you  should shoot at in a high tier match is enemy scouts and arti.

Only thing I remember from M3 Lee was that is was really pain to play. Same A20, but here I remember why - the tank was toothless, I tried all available guns and it still felt like a tank without a gun. It couldn't even damage those arties or same tier scouts.

View PostShireknight, on 23 November 2011 - 05:15 AM, said:

Panther Given it's reputation from WWII this should be a much feared tank and a pleasure to drive however I find it awfully slow and clumsy, it's top gun is nice and can easily hurt higher placed vehicles than itself but for some reason the tank is just really boring to drive, it's like it's tracks are constantly ploughing through treacle.

Hehe that was my feeling from Panther too - it was like driving with handbrake always on. Panther and Hummel were so nice tanks in beta, now they become so average... especially Hummel become a roulette to play, you aim 100% and then miss 40% of such shots. Not much fun to play it too.

TankkiPoju #13 Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:29 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 5773 battles

View PostNucFlashBoogeyman, on 23 November 2011 - 02:47 AM, said:

Best
VK3002(DB) still learning this tank but have gotten consistant 3 killstreaks on it, good sniper, can damage higher tierd tanks if they are dumb enough to ignore you hehe

Worst
VK3601(H) even Elited I dont like this tank, Its slow, its gun is not that good and I still feel you die way to fast. compared 2 the Pzkwpf III/IV that is both faster and more agile, I would say it sucks. I know many of you here like it but I personaly feel its Overated...

So what you are saying the 8.8cm L/56 (or the long 7.5cm) is a good sniper gun on tier 7 but "not that good" on tier 6?

VK3601h completely trumps over PzIII/IV, which cannot even penetrate the VK properly. Moreover, VK3601 is not that agile, yes, but it has pretty good acceleration to it's top speed.

As for my list (only from the ones I have played, of course):

The best: VK3601H, Pershing, T-50-2, PzIV, T-34, M2 light tank.

The worst: A-20, Tiger I.

Stimpeltje #14 Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:38 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 11441 battles

View PostShireknight, on 23 November 2011 - 05:15 AM, said:

Worst
KV with big gun Slow to move, slower to aim, even slower to reload. I do not know how anyone can enjoy this tank with the big gun, once it fires it is completely vulnerable to anything that happens to come across it for the next 30 seconds and unfortunately that is a major necessity with this tank because I CANNOT SNIPEwith it so it has no choice but to get up close and personal with the enemy.

Fixed it for ya

I have absolutely no problems with hitting and killing targets over 400 meters away.

Just dont fire too fast. Wait for the circle to get to its smallets and then wait 2 more seconds.

Best for me,
VK3601H: Allround a good tank

Worst,
T 28 (russian medium) and vk3001P: The grinds in it were just horrible. And if I encounter those tanks as enemy's my first thought is "free kill". I just don't like driving them.

leanmeanmachine #15 Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:43 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10188 battles
Best tanks - M4A3E8 Sherman , fast accurate and the firing rate of the gun is awesome
           - Patton / Pershing, I seem to get my ass kicked alot in this but just love playing with them
           - GW Panther , packed a punch with a nice reload rate and accuracy, and when push comes to shove you can put your foot down and scream around the battlefield like a tank

Worst tanks - T34 , complete dissapointment after the T29 AND T32, no armour, crap gun until you grind out the upgrade, nothing more than a hinderance to your team if they have an is4 or e75 when youre the biggest tank in game
            - T-34 , hate this tank, nuff said

Cheaky favourite to add to the mix - PzKpfw 38H735 (f) , best premium ive bought and when youve teamed up with 2 of your clan mates in the same tank armed with prem ammo you are invincible, lame I know but you do get a certain pleasure out of annoying the opposite team :)

Beldegrom #16 Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:47 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 16566 battles
Best:

IS2 - this tank can play with the big guys, while still being relatively cheap and fast. Also, its sexy.

KV - tought tier 5 beast with an awesome gun.

T50 - this little interceptor is SO much fun! Crazy fast pew pew with other scouts, protecting my arty, then going to smash helpless oponent's hummels.  :Smile-izmena:

Panther II - agile, nice gun. Doesn't bounce a lot, but looks cool.

Worst:

VK3001 P - I got chills when I remember the grind with this tank. Horrible.

Jagdpanther - I remember that in beta I sold this tank with fully trained crew and modules in a burst of disgust and anger after one battle.

All american tree - I grinded to T29, T20, Slugger. Finally sold them all, while being fully upgraded, just stored the crew in barracks. No, not my style at all.

Dead_Skin_Mask #17 Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12331 battles

WORST
1. T-28 - This tank is a cruel joke. It is a monstrous mass of flat steel, capable of being penetrated by any tank that it is matched up against. The size of this tank makes it nearly impossible to hide if you want to remain within effective firing range of the enemy. Its guns do not compensate for these shortfalls, and its only good feature is that it doesn't have the horribly low speed of other tanks its size.

2. T18/T82/T40 American TDs - These tanks are rubbish. They cannot penetrate, cannot take a hit, and cannot deal raw damage even with HE shells. I tried to play them, but found one bad TD after another just to get to the Slugger to be too much to ask for.

In my opinion you had no idea about T40. Look at my stats in case of this awesome TD. And T-28 has 2 great guns which are devastating enemies. I was playing with it on test server some time ago. Had more kills than battles.

Best tanks:
Too many good tanks to write them all ;) But I love most T25, M4A3E2 and Pershing, also liked a lot PzIV and Marder which I tried on test server.  

Worst tanks:
M3 Lee, T1, VK3001P (stock version, with best equipment is quite good), US T34 (stock version, with best equpiment is great)

Bracken03 #18 Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 12080 battles
Best (only tanks I have played):

-Panther
Do not know, why so many people dislike this tank. After more than 200 battles I have got a 60% win rate. Its a great tank, if you know how to do it.
-Su-85
Very good gun for its tier.
-GW Panther
I am no arty player, but this one even makes me look good.
-Type 59

Worst (all tanks):
-Tiger
I cannot respect this tank as an opponent. Every shot penetrates. IS and T-29 are much better.

terje439 #19 Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 24533 battles
  • [TROII] TROII
Best
1. E50 - it is rather fast, and a mix between a medium and a heavy. 1 on 1 it will kill any other medium out there, and it can take on an IS4 and do well against it.
2. T54 - it has better acceleration than the E50 and is smaller. However if you are up against people that know to aim at the hull, you are in trouble.
3. Maus - This one can take a ridiculus ammount of damage, and can (if used properly) halt a lemmingtrain on its own.

Worst
1. JagdPanzer IV - I cannot think of anything good about this one, and with a weak gun it is utter c**p
2. JagdTiger - Ok, it has a killer gun and great upper hull armor. Due however to a few facts it goes down to the lower portion of the list. The gun elevation makes it impossible to take advantage of alot of cover. The lower armor is penetrable by T5+. And the worst part, it will be spotted across the map, in pitch dark, behind 4 bushes, 2 houses and 5 other tanks. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy this one, but it has so many weaknesses that it belongs on this part of the list imo.
3. Open turreted US TDs (all of them). It might be my playstyle, but I never managed to get the hang of these.

Terje

steview162 #20 Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

First Sergeant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 24542 battles
  • [-T-O-] -T-O-
Best -
King Tiger
PZII
PantherII

Worst
T-28