Artillery for missions?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Deyas #1 Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:04 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2549 battles
  • [RBR] RBR
I'm thinking to do the arty missions for some extra rewards but I'm not sure what line should I pick, anything you guys recommend? 

samuelx43a #2 Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:15 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22097 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

the american line is a really good choice now, as they have good gun traverses, damage and reload.

the germans sound like a really good option, specially with the gw panther, but after that the VIII-X get rather narrow gun arcs.

hope this somwwhat helps

krismorgan #3 Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:45 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 32265 battles
  • [UKT] UKT
m53/55 or gw panther,good arcs.you can put vents on the yank.

TungstenHitman #4 Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:07 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 22190 battles

American and French tier6. The American has excellent ROF but small splash radius and small stun duration. The French has a large splash radius and longer stun duration but low ROF so having these two arties with different attributes really cuts through the mission fast. In other words, if it's a kill so many tanks missions or get so many stuns mission or stun a certain class so many times you pick the American SPG. If it's stun targets for a long period of time mission or a  stun multiple targets at once mission or have so much damage caused by teammates while enemy is stunned mission you use the French. Both are very mobile SPGs which means you can get around the map and try different spots easily, escape easily and probably about as much fun as this boring class gets.

Why those SPGs? well apart from the above reasons(which includes decent aim time and accuracy too btw) they were the highest tier SPG I could unlock using a tank I already had. I could get the tier6 French using the tier6 AMX lt which is a really fun little AL so that was a really enjoyable grind. The American SPG was already unlocked for me at tier5(The Chaffee line I think?) however with the American SPG I found the tier5 was just horrible and totally unacceptable due it's glacially slow aim time so I free xp'd my way to the tier6 and the tier6 is a really really nice SPG... so good luck. This was a path I took only recently myself actually and I have some SPG replays on wotreplays that might help you through some of the more tricky missions should you so need.

Deyas #5 Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:21 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2549 battles
  • [RBR] RBR

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated 

Jumping_Turtle #6 Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 61495 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT
American and/or Russian are best for missions

Homer_J #7 Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28767 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

American line has the best combination of guns and mobility.

I would suggest French as a second line.

I don't know what people see in the GW Panther apart from it's funky looks.  It's slow and has the same gun as the Hummel.

Russians are slow with terrible gun arcs.  The only advantage is being able to jump from the KV-2 to S-51 but then you get a reload time measured with a calendar.

Strappster #8 Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:31 AM

General

• Player
  • 24045 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHomer_J, on 13 February 2018 - 09:39 AM, said:

I don't know what people see in the GW Panther apart from it's funky looks.  It's slow and has the same gun as the Hummel.

The stock gun is the same as the top gun of the Hummel (with better reload and accuracy) but the top gun only shares the 15cm calibre. It's got such a wide arc that you often don't need to move the hull when switching targets, it's the most accurate arty on its tier with a competitive aim time and with food and a rammer the reload comes down to 21s.

That said, for someone who hasn't played arty I'd also recommend the US line. The GWP is excellent but the ones preceding and following it have pretty narrow gun arcs and with the changes to arty pen and the introduction of stun you want to spend your time firing, not waiting for the aim to settle. The French have the mobility to move around but they have a shallow shell trajectory that can make shots more difficult. British don't get stun until tier 7, Russians have very narrow gun arcs and even longer aim times. The US line is probably the best all-rounder for missions.

Homer_J #9 Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:46 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28767 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostStrappster, on 13 February 2018 - 10:31 AM, said:

The stock gun is the same as the top gun of the Hummel (with better reload and accuracy) but the top gun only shares the 15cm calibre.

...and it's 680 alpha.

It's got such a wide arc that you often don't need to move the hull when switching targets, 

It's not enough to compensate for the terrible mobility.  And the M44 a tier lower beats it for DPM.

I've played a lot of arty since the introduction of stun and the GW-P just feels meh.  Mind you I'm struggling to find where the tier IX French arty is actually better than the tier VIII.  The turret traverse is so slow that you end up moving your hull anyway so what's the point of having a turret.

Strappster #10 Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:28 PM

General

• Player
  • 24045 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHomer_J, on 13 February 2018 - 10:46 AM, said:

The turret traverse is so slow ...

Same speed as the gun traverse on the tier 8, 22.75º/s.

I'm still grinding the tier 8 but I'm looking forward to keeping the gun pointing in the direction of the enemy while I relocate. I tend to move after every shot, especially on maps where there's only a couple of viable areas for arty because counter-battery fire seems more common. Every other arty I've played so far requires me to go through a traverse before I can move laterally - the turret will mean firing to the side and relocating by simply driving forward or back.

Balc0ra #11 Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:30 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66286 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Yeah the US line is the good all rounder. On higher tiers just use the stock guns for stun missions and the top one for damage missions. The tier 9 can get most missions on all 4 tanks done with ease, even with the stock gun.

Jumping_TurtIe #12 Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6246 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostHomer_J, on 13 February 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

Russians are slow with terrible gun arcs.  The only advantage is being able to jump from the KV-2 to S-51 but then you get a reload time measured with a calendar.

I have done all 75 arty missions with honors and think I did 85% of them with the russians. The damage output and splash is imho the best combo for almost all missions. When doing missions only you do not need mobility like the French have. Rahter have that raw damage output.

KittenInArms #13 Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:40 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3716 battles

A late addition from an arty noob. I completed the first set of arty missions in about 70 battles in the US SPGs M41 HMC and M44. I didn't particulary want to play arty, but wanted the rewards. Hadn't played arty before, so I watched a video to see how the mechanics work. I'm still an arty noob afterwards, don't know the best positions etc, and a better player would have completed the missions way faster. Nonetheless, a newbie can complete them in those SPGs, no problem.

I researched the M41 from the Chaffee and did half the missions in it. I felt I couldn't really influence the matches that much in the M41. The rest of the missions in the M44 weren't very hard. The M44 was much more rewarding, with shorter reload and much faster aim.

I used equipment in both SPGs (rammer + GLD + camo net), and used discount academy training for the crew (except driver), which was rookie with no skills/perks. I dunno, I may have overspent, done things wrong etc, but I didn't have a clue about how much was required for me to do well enough for the missions. Main thing to me is it worked out.

Coopsjc21 #14 Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8826 battles
I found all the arty missions for Stug and T28 fairly easy with German arty.

pagandk #15 Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38722 battles
american line no doubt

etody77 #16 Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:28 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 62862 battles
  • [PT-RO] PT-RO
english and american, americanele au paube, englezele cadenta si precizie

1 user(s) are reading this topic