Cleaning WoT Folder, help pls.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Kevbar #1 Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18142 battles

I was just about to make a back-up of WoT on a separate drive and noticed the '_res_packages' folder is about 30 GB in size.

This seems a tad excessive; can this be thinned out or does all of this need to be here. (Note, the 2nd screenshot only shows approx 1/3 of the files in the folder, arranged by size).

Packages 1.jpgPackages 2.jpg

K_A #2 Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:43 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13626 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I believe that's the HD client textures and stuff. If you want WoT to take up less space, uninstall and reinstall the SD client only. It'll be smaller, but the game will look like crap.

Kevbar #3 Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18142 battles

I don't need the space but thought a bit of housekeeping was in order. The equivalent file in WoWS is about the same size. I'll just copy over both game folders as they are.

Thanks for your help.

K_A #4 Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:41 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13626 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
The only folder that might swell up unnecessarily is the replay folder. Even though the replay files are very small, if you amass thousands of them without ever clearing the folder it can get quite big. Not 30 GB big, but I think mine went up to almost 5 GB before I swiped it the first time.

SuedKAT #5 Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:32 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostK_A, on 14 February 2018 - 10:41 PM, said:

The only folder that might swell up unnecessarily is the replay folder. Even though the replay files are very small, if you amass thousands of them without ever clearing the folder it can get quite big. Not 30 GB big, but I think mine went up to almost 5 GB before I swiped it the first time.

There is also the Updates folder, when ever a patch hits the patch data is downloaded into that folder and then used to update the game, when that's done you can remove it without any problems what so ever. Also not to forget the WorldOfTanks AppData folder which over times store a lot of fluff that you don't particularly need, for example in the folder named custom_data you'll find icons.dat which is a file that cache all the clan logos you encounter, mine is currently 600MB. However there is also other stuff cached and stored in the WorldOfTanks AppData folder so removing everything will result in you having to reapply some settings such as resolution etc, but it can be done with out any issues, I tend to do it when ever a (major) patch hits.

Kevbar #6 Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18142 battles
Thanks chaps, that's useful to know.

Pansenmann #7 Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:40 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33909 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

it's a good idea to keep the "preferences.xml" files in the %appdata%\wargaming.net\worldoftanks\ folder,

there are your key bindings too!

PS:

How to rebind "turret-lock" aka "mouselook" which is normally bound to "keep right mouse button pressed"

1. Go to the following folder: C:\%appdata%\wargaming.net\WorldOfTanks\

2. make a backup copy of the file "preferences.xml"

3. open the original "preferences.xml" file with a text editor of your choice (notepad++ recommended)

4. go to the end of the file and add the following lines below "<commandMapping>"

Block Quote

<CMD_CM_FREE_CAMERA>
                <fireKey>    KEY_K    </fireKey>
                <satelliteKeys />
            </CMD_CM_FREE_CAMERA>

that way the "mouselook" is now bound to the key "K".

Hope it helps ;)

Edited by Pansenmann, 15 February 2018 - 11:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users