Tier 7 Heavy Tank Advice.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

mpf1959 #1 Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13441 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I'm looking to getting a brawler heavy tank, at tier 7. I'm a below average player, but do enjoy a brawl and so needing a heavy tank that will soak up maximum punishment even with a ham-fisted player.

I'm researched up to T6 on Russian, French, British, German and Japanese. I didnt like the French heavies, did allready get the IO but was a disaster, I was even worse than the Experimental, also the Churchill V11, and the VK36. I have not got past Lee on the US line.

I do have the odd good game, but generally am knocked out pretty quick. So is there any tank with better armour, or is it tough luck?

Edited by mpf1959, 16 February 2018 - 04:13 PM.

vasilinhorulezz #2 Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22780 battles
O-Ni

UserZer00 #3 Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9142 battles

View Postmpf1959, on 16 February 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

I'm looking to getting a brawler heavy tank, at tier 7. I'm a below average player, but do enjoy a brawl and so needing a heavy tank that will soak up maximum punishment even with a ham-fisted player.

I'm researched up to T6 on Russian, French, British, German and Japanese. I didnt like the French heavies, did allready get the IO but was a disaster, I was even worse than the Experimental, also the Churchill V11, and the VK36. I have not got past Lee on the US line.

I do have the odd good game, but generally am knocked out pretty quick. So is there any tank with better armour, or is it tough luck?

Better armor vs survival = non existant in this "golden" era. 

You are better off choosing the heavy with the most hitpoints and select other characteristics based on your strengths:

- mobility?

- gun handling?

- spotting?

- other?

But to be honest, if you are below average at tiers 1 thru 6 there isn't really going to be a magic tier 7 that will make it all go away.

You're better off sticking at tier 4-6, grinding a 4 skilled crew, improving at a particular play style and holding off on tier 7 until you have done this.

After having tried to climb tier 8, 9 and 10 during the X-mas event this is what I decided that I needed to do as well instead of trying to find the holy grail of tanks.

Good luck with whatever you decide and focus on the fun.

Edited by UserZer00, 16 February 2018 - 04:27 PM.

Lohend #4 Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44075 battles
Best choice at tier 7 would be T29 IMHO. Get hull down and at least you can take some punishment even against gold ammo. No tier 7 heavy has armor to stand against rain of gold in an open field anyways.

fwhaatpiraat #5 Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 45537 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
As top tier the O-Ni has really strong armor. But against tier 8 and 9 it is just a damage piñata. If you want armor, don't take the Tiger I or Tiger P. Also the tier 7 British heavy tank, Black Prince, will drive you crazy, not recommended. A great tier 7 heavy tank is the american T29. If you can get hull down (only the turret visible, hull is hidden), it is really really strong. It also has a powerful gun with good penetration and alpha damage. Other strong heavies are the Russian IS and Chinese IS-2: they have a really big gun and quite okay armor, especially versus tier 7s and lower.

Baldrickk #6 Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:49 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29505 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-
Everyone has learned to premspam Jap HTs.
Because of this they would probably bounce more if the armour was nerfed and they were given usable weakspots.

I second the T29 as a fun HT that is bouncy when hulldown

DuncaN_101 #7 Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:12 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 52749 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
I'd say stay in the tier where you are if things are going so badly for you right now.

There is clearly something that you haven't learned yet and it would be better to figure out everything you need to before going up the next tier
Not having a go at you tho. But I'm just saying.

It's not a race to get to the end. Take your time and enjoy it

MOTA_BOY #8 Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10194 battles
Just don't go German....

Coldspell #9 Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:20 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18708 battles

T29 is bouncy but he said he was looking for a brawler and I wouldn't exactly class the t29 as that, IS could be a brawler but it probably won't be bouncy enough for him.

I get the feeling he wouldn't be alive long enough to make the O-NI's derp work so thats not a great recommendation either and the tiger P and Tiger H are butter... IS2 is similar story to the IS definetly a good brawler but probably not bouncy enough for the OP.

I don't know how the BP is after the line got buffed a few patches ago and I don't know about the KV3 only on the t150 myself (which would fit his requirements but its  a tier VI not a tier VII).

*disclaimer* What I am about to type is not supposed to demean the OP *disclaimer end*

As your most played class and the class you perform by far the best in is arty, in the long run maybe continuing down the Jap line is best as long as you keep mounting the howitzers, the line has strong armour all the way down and guns that only require aiming at an enemy tank to damage as opposed to having to aim for weakspots.

Alternatively if you want improve your HT gameplay maybe take a good starter like the KV1, mount the 57mm and start learning the weakspots on tier 6 & 7 tanks.

As Duncan_101 mentioned its not a race to tier 10, personally I yolo rushed the leopard line when I started playing and ended up in tier 10 without the faintest idea what I was doing and I didn't improve in any way shape or form for a long time.

clixor #10 Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:24 PM

Major

• Player
  • 50380 battles

View PostMOTA_BOY, on 16 February 2018 - 06:14 PM, said:

Just don't go German....

OP wanted a brawler and the Tigers are excellent if you just want to be more aggressive and outdpm enemies. T29 is fine as well but usually it needs a bit more passive playstyle.

Makotti #11 Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:40 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13290 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I'm not heavy player but what I've enjoyed most are T29 and IS. T29 is beast if you can keep hull down, IS has some mobility and for some weird reason I like 100 mm a lot more than 122 mm.

Like somebody said earlier, don't go german. Dunno if it's russian "historical accuracy" or what, Tiger is meh at best and Tiger (P) is only tank I've ever ragesold. But if you can manage thru TiggyP VK100.01P is quite nice tho.

Dava_117 #12 Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:20 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18506 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

I played just Tiger1, IS and KV-3 as tier 7 HTs, so I can talk for them.

Tiger1 is more a support HT. You don't want to expose your armour as it's boxy and badly shaped. The gun is good but I don't think it fit the brawler role well.

I find IS horrible, unreliable armour and the worst gun handling I ever tried, just after KV-85. But somehow I finished the grind with a WR of around 60%!

KV-3 is the my first tier 7. I played it some years ago, when I was a scrubb learning the basis. I have good mories about it, but the meta was a lot different back then. Side armour is not exceptional, but can hold on vs tier 8. I don't remember how gun handling was, but turret may be quite bouncy if well angled, even against tier 9.

Both IS and KV-3 may be good for your requirement.

KillingJoker #13 Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32042 battles
  • [-EXC-] -EXC-

Japanese heavies are pretty dumb to play...

wanna learn how to do damage without taking any? play the IS or the IS-2, they have guns with lower penetration 175 for their tier...

but.. in compensation they have 390 alpha

by playing this tanks you will learn how to trade shots, you will not work as a stupid japanese heavy, how basicly uses stupid and dumb armor combined with a stupid derp gun

and hit other heavies turrets for 200 dmg, no you dont want to play that, because you wont learn anything from it, if you want to play derp guns and learn anything, at least play a medium with a derp, like the KV-13 with the 122mm , and learn how to survive hitting enemies and not being hit with a long reload... that would teach you anything

But going for the IS, by playing the IS tank, you will learn how to survive trading shots, you only have 1200 hitpoints, your armor is only effective against 150/160mm guns, so at tier 7 your cheese most of the time, it can bounce, but you cant rely on you the armor, yet, you can be an absolute monster, and if you learn to play that tank, you will bully anyone else latter with the IS-3

dont do like the 80% player muppets that unlock the IS-3 without learning to play the IS tanks, because thouse muppets will at best do 700 average dmg with the IS-3, wich is a joke by the records...  

Be sucefull playing the IS, you will learn to trade, and you will become a much better player with the IS-3 and the T-10, and when you play the 257 and the IS7, you will feel overpowered. 

Tr0gledyte #14 Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18596 battles
The only very good tier 7 heavy is the T29, which is actually the most OP tier 7 tank in the entire game. Bottom tier? T29 don't care, more hitpoints to farm. All other tier 7 tanks suffer badly from MM.

mpf1959 #15 Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13441 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Thanks for all replies.

Just for clarification, I'm not a gamer, but a WW2 tank enthusiast who has just found this great game to occupy my many hours since a collapsed spine and heart attacks took me out of work. I have never played online games before, the only other tank game Ive played is the A1 Abrams on the kids Mega Drive a long time ago, and at 59 I have bad eyes and arthritic hands. I mostly play SPG because of my slowness and very low ability on the keyboard. I'm not seeking a heavy to make me a better player, I don't think God could, but what I enjoy in heavies is finding a fight asap with a similar tank and have a toe to toe brawl till one dies. Odd maybe, but I love it!

All my heavies seem weak for this type of play. For instance, the other day I rammed into the front of, I think, an M4ae3? Anyway, he was game and we shot each other up, both took five shots, neither using gold, he destroyed my KV1 I didn't penetrate with even 1 shot from point blank. If my KV armour (and gun) is so weak against such a tank, I obviously need a change, you see what I mean? My Curchill V11 and the VK36 is shite at such brawls, the OI was so slow I couldnt get into a toe to toe quick enough on most maps. The VK a means to an end as I want a Tiger 1 just for having it's sake,

I was thinking to get a T29, is my best route via the T10 or the M4's? Both are the same in length, 2, to get to the 29, but I'd sooner gring through better tanks, if you see what I mean.

Hamsterkicker #16 Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32922 battles
  • [TRCD] TRCD

Well you need to go through the heavy line as that unlocks a 90 mm gun that you will need on the T29.  A stock T29 with stock gun is horrible.

dimethylcadmium #17 Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5401 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A

View Postmpf1959, on 17 February 2018 - 02:51 PM, said:

Thanks for all replies.

Just for clarification, I'm not a gamer, but a WW2 tank enthusiast who has just found this great game to occupy my many hours since a collapsed spine and heart attacks took me out of work. I have never played online games before, the only other tank game Ive played is the A1 Abrams on the kids Mega Drive a long time ago, and at 59 I have bad eyes and arthritic hands. I mostly play SPG because of my slowness and very low ability on the keyboard. I'm not seeking a heavy to make me a better player, I don't think God could, but what I enjoy in heavies is finding a fight asap with a similar tank and have a toe to toe brawl till one dies. Odd maybe, but I love it!

All my heavies seem weak for this type of play. For instance, the other day I rammed into the front of, I think, an M4ae3? Anyway, he was game and we shot each other up, both took five shots, neither using gold, he destroyed my KV1 I didn't penetrate with even 1 shot from point blank. If my KV armour (and gun) is so weak against such a tank, I obviously need a change, you see what I mean? My Curchill V11 and the VK36 is shite at such brawls, the OI was so slow I couldnt get into a toe to toe quick enough on most maps. The VK a means to an end as I want a Tiger 1 just for having it's sake,

I was thinking to get a T29, is my best route via the T10 or the M4's? Both are the same in length, 2, to get to the 29, but I'd sooner gring through better tanks, if you see what I mean.

Go through the M6 line, to get the 90mm gun.

KV-1 is not good anymore, the armor got nerfed when the model went into HD.

The middle sloped plate on KV-1 is around 60mm effective thickness, it used to be around 100mm and very bouncy. KV-85 also had that plate get nerfed.

KV-1S still has 100mm on the middle plate so it will bounce poorly aimed shots.

If you want a Soviet tier 5 heavy, play the KV-1S, better frontal armor and faster. Gun handling is also better.

edit: If it was a M4A3E8, you should have penned him anywhere. It was probably the M4A3E2, which has around 130-140mm effective thickness on its frontal plate. You need APCR to pen his UFP

Edited by dimethylcadmium, 17 February 2018 - 04:18 PM.

Baldrickk #18 Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29505 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View Postdimethylcadmium, on 17 February 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

Go through the M6 line, to get the 90mm gun.

KV-1 is not good anymore, the armor got nerfed when the model went into HD.

The middle sloped plate on KV-1 is around 60mm effective thickness, it used to be around 100mm and very bouncy. KV-85 also had that plate get nerfed.

KV-1S still has 100mm on the middle plate so it will bounce poorly aimed shots.

If you want a Soviet tier 5 heavy, play the KV-1S, better frontal armor and faster. Gun handling is also better.

edit: If it was a M4A3E8, you should have penned him anywhere. It was probably the M4A3E2, which has around 130-140mm effective thickness on its frontal plate. You need APCR to pen his UFP

If it's an E2, and he's not got the derp gun, then shoot the turret.

The only reason not to use the derp is to use the M1A2, which requires the weaker top turret.

unrealname #19 Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21774 battles
get the IS, cant go wrong with that tank.

Axelfoley666 #20 Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:37 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21936 battles
  • [TWD] TWD
Apart from Arty, Go Russian!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users