Wg Historical

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

TankkiPoju #21 Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:35 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20270 battles

View PostDoom_16, on 17 February 2018 - 09:53 PM, said:

If we are going to have imaginary tanks in the game, why not change some of the vehicles back to like they used to be, like the FV304 being all small and cute.

Yeah I don't understand why everyone doesn't want to get blasted by some 48% clicker master every 10 seconds, without any chance to shoot back.

Browarszky #22 Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:44 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16096 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

Implementing what were essentially failed designs as premium tanks isn't exactly historically accurate. I suppose the easiest way to check on historical accuracy would be comparing in game vehicle and ammo stats to their historical counterparts (assuming we aren't talking about blueprint only tanks). In that sense, they either are historically accurate or not.

One good example is the Tiger (1) which historically would have only had the 8.8 cm KwK 36 equipped. In game we can equip it with the Tiger 2 gun KwK 43 which is not realistic from a historical perspective. There appear to have been some drafts to equip the Tiger with the KwK 43 but AFAIK that was never even tested.

And how far would 'historical accuracy' carry in a game which seems to be based on fantasy mechanics instead of striving toward being any kind of a scaled simulation of real world tank combat.

Edited by Browarszky, 18 February 2018 - 10:44 AM.

Hedgehog1963 #23 Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:40 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51270 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY

View PostHugSeal, on 18 February 2018 - 12:16 AM, said:

I do like them calling it goodwins law :) Nice bait right there

It popped up on reddit last evening... I LOL'd.

AliceUnchained #24 Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:01 PM

General

• Player
  • 38414 battles
  • [322] 322

Historical accuracy was a term Wargaming used in the past to justify nerfing German tanks and might also have been used to try and justify the lower performance of iconic German WW II era (anti-)tank guns (although that one seems to be a mash up between historical reasons and balance, with the latter an utter joke of course as other Nations get higher penetration and damage at the same Tiers). Now that there's really no need to nerf German vehicles any more, historical accuracy has been tossed out the window. Main reason German vehicles no longer need to be nerfed obviously stems from the fact we now get all sorts of broken Soviet prototype machines with way better performance than they'd ever achieve realistically speaking.

Don't be fooled, there really is little historically accurate about WoT other than the names and look of some of the vehicles, and some of their modules. 

BP_OMowe #25 Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:53 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 24764 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

View PostSovietBias, on 17 February 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

Historical accuracy was never much of a thing, especially after the whole 'historical battles' 'fiasco

View PostRamRaid90, on 17 February 2018 - 10:13 PM, said:

And since when has this game "strived for historical accuracy"?

This is a nonsense thread before it even starts.

View Post250swb, on 17 February 2018 - 10:29 PM, said:

Please point to a link where you have read WoT is about historical accuracy, or did you just invent it?

The TV commercials run in Sweden when I begun playing did a major point of the historically accurate tanks, how they implemented them to retain their characteristics (within the limits if the game engine of course) , the extensive research including special teams going to museums to get every measurement right and not least, Wg had actual tankers as technical advisors just to get everything right.

Wg never claimed it to be a simulator, as sitting around the rest of the battle after one's tracks are blown off simply is boring. They did aspire to be something very different from a "shooter inspired by tanks that might or might not have existed", though.

RamRaid90 #26 Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:19 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21406 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View PostBP_OMowe, on 19 February 2018 - 02:53 AM, said:

The TV commercials run in Sweden when I begun playing did a major point of the historically accurate tanks, how they implemented them to retain their characteristics (within the limits if the game engine of course) , the extensive research including special teams going to museums to get every measurement right and not least, Wg had actual tankers as technical advisors just to get everything right.

Wg never claimed it to be a simulator, as sitting around the rest of the battle after one's tracks are blown off simply is boring. They did aspire to be something very different from a "shooter inspired by tanks that might or might not have existed", though.

Surely you're not naive enough to ever believe any form of advertising?

Stimpeltje #27 Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 28002 battles

View PostRamRaid90, on 17 February 2018 - 10:13 PM, said:

Game Website says so

World of Tanks is a team-based massively multiplayer online action game dedicated to armoured warfare. Throw yourself into the epic tank battles of World War II with other steel cowboys from all over the world. Your arsenal includes more than 220 armoured vehicles from America, Germany, France and the Soviet Union, carefully detailed with historical accuracy.

https://worldoftanks.../guide/general/

_Sentinel_ #28 Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:53 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15392 battles

View PostRamRaid90, on 17 February 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/general-news/historical-content-world-of-tanks/

I think they've deleted the eu page dedicated to this.

BP_OMowe #29 Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:21 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 24764 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

View PostRamRaid90, on 19 February 2018 - 06:19 AM, said:

Surely you're not naive enough to ever believe any form of advertising?

It does not matter if I believe it or not, point is what Wg asserted the game to be in the context of the quotes I replied to.

Bordhaw #30 Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:25 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11536 battles

View PostDoom_16, on 17 February 2018 - 08:53 PM, said:

Call me salty, but i still feel like this "historical accuracy" cannot really be implimented into this game with WG pulling tanks like Obj 705 and Obj 257 literally out of closed archives of rejected tank prototypes/blueprints. They just ruin other tanks for the "historical accuracy" and keep pulling these russian blueprint tanks out of thin air. If we are going to have imaginary tanks in the game, why not change some of the vehicles back to like they used to be, like the FV304 being all small and cute.

Historical accuracy?

Who said that and where is an example of this historical accuracy?

RamRaid90 #31 Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:40 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21406 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View PostStimpeltje, on 19 February 2018 - 06:37 AM, said:

Game Website says so

World of Tanks is a team-based massively multiplayer online action game dedicated to armoured warfare. Throw yourself into the epic tank battles of World War II with other steel cowboys from all over the world. Your arsenal includes more than 220 armoured vehicles from America, Germany, France and the Soviet Union, carefully detailed with historical accuracy.

Read that again, and try to comprehend what it means.

RamRaid90 #32 Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:45 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21406 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View Post_Sentinel_, on 19 February 2018 - 06:53 AM, said:

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/general-news/historical-content-world-of-tanks/

I think they've deleted the eu page dedicated to this.

Again, read it and understand it. They are two different things.

What it means is the vehicles LOOK the same as in real life.

Nothing to do with game balance or historical statistics.

Also tagged with Wg, Historical

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users