• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

DanishPack #1 Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:50 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7777 battles
  • [TT-DK] TT-DK

Hi All, 

Having started to play WOT recently (app. 1-2 months ago), one thing has struck me that I have not experienced in any other game to the degree that it is present in WOT.

Yelling and calling other players obceneties in th in-game chat.

I am not a very good player by any measure, but I was beginning to enjoy the game enough to get a premium account, but I am starting to regret that decision. I try my best in the games, but apparently, I don't live up to the expectations of my socalled teammates. I don't block them, I don't shoot them, but I try my best. Still a lot of people yell and call me and others things that most people hopefully would never consider telling each other face to face. 

When people do that to me, I politely ask if they could tell me what I did wrong so that I could learn and improve my play, but that usually enrages them even more.

A lot of people complain about the matchmaking, etc. but I believe that the most broken part of WOT is actually the players themselves.

Any ideas on what I can do differently and how we as a community can perhaps start to change things around?

Happy tanking

DanishPack

EltvilleTiger #2 Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21211 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Welcome to the game.  First, the forum can be quite toxic so be warned.  Second, this forum community is only a subset of the great community so you won't make much progress here.  

best advice:  "be nice no matter what" - that is all you can do in any game where chat is allowed.  just let the insults roll off of your back.  You'll get compliments and such as time goes on.

Junglist_ #3 Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37155 battles
If you are enjoying the game but the toxicity of the playerbase is preventing you from having fun you can always turn off the game chat.

DanishPack #4 Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:09 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7777 battles
  • [TT-DK] TT-DK

Eltville Tiger: Thanks for the welcome. Appreciate it. I try do do as you suggest and I do get compliments from time to time, but I was just wondering why this is so bad in this game... Good luck in your games

Junglist_: Thanks for your reply. I am enjoying it, but I just feel it would be a shame to just turn of the chat when there is such a great potential for make the game and the players better through the chat. Perhaps I am being too idealistic... Good luck in your games as well

qqq10 #5 Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:12 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 23497 battles
For starters, you shouldn't go past tier 7 until you learn the basic mechanics of the game - you probably don't have a great time getting recked by experienced players. You also piss off the rest of your team by being a useless bag of HP (I don't want to insult you, but it's the truth) - especially when you happen to be one of the top 3 tanks. And If you're getting yelled at playing the lower tiers just turn off the chat till you get better - it's useless 99% of the time anyway.

evilchaosmonkey #6 Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:22 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16655 battles
  • [EIGHT] EIGHT

As above, but not past tier 5 for a while - besides which that tier can be fun.

You've also chosen to tier 7 and tier 8 the hardest tank class in the game - the lights. 

Not surprising you're getting toxic chat when their role in high tier games is to be the eyes of the team and you suck (everyone does when you're new). 

Basically you're probably acting as a burden to your team and actively lowering their chances to win.

Watch some videos, learn the spotting system and how to play the tank roles (heavy, medium, TD, spg).

Stay away from light tanks for a long time.  In fact sell those 2 and get 50% of the credits back.

Learn side scraping.

Go down Russian tank line.  Especially get the KV2 @ tier 6 and mount HE in the big derp gun.

DanishPack #7 Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:26 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7777 battles
  • [TT-DK] TT-DK
Qqq10: Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am actually having an ok time and feel like I understand the basic mechanics of the game, but obviously, I am still not an expert due to the number of games I have played. However, my point here is that I have yet to meet somebody in chat that was constructive and offered help instead of mindlessly spewing obscenities. A few have been kind enough to praise after a game, but nobody has ever tried to explain what I did wrong or how to improve and that bothers me. How can anybody improve without direction and feedback? But I may be expecting too much from my fellow players.....

_EXODUZ_ #8 Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34979 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Hi,

If you really wanna improve at the game I can offer to teach you some things I know. I'd prefer to have a convo on TS, some practice in the training rooms, etc.

Send me a message in-game sometime tomorrow evening.

Unknown_Lifeform #9 Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:31 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27425 battles

Welcome to online gaming, where the biggest problem is that you have to play with other people :P WoT isn't the worst game out there but I remember I was also pretty shocked by how obnoxious the player base was back when I first started.

Firstly, I wouldn't dwell on it. The people dishing out the abuse don't necessarily have a fantastic grasp on the game themselves. The majority of it is mediocre players looking for someone else to blame and scapegoat. That said, if you play very passively that will add to it significantly.

You can turn off the in game chat if you feel that would be best. Personally I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed nice things so I leave it on but mute anyone the instant they start being distracting (map spam, raging in the chat etc) by clicking on their name in the chat panel or in the team list.

As to why behaviour is so bad in this game... its a competitive team game. You don't have any control over the actions of your team mates and a lot of people get frustrated over that which they can't control. Plus, its easier for a lot of people to blame everyone else than to consider what they themselves might have done better. In time you just get used to it and don't let it affect you anymore.

DanishPack #10 Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:34 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7777 battles
  • [TT-DK] TT-DK

Evil Hans monkey: Thanks for your feedback. I understand that me being a noob can be a burden for the team, but we have all been there at one point in time, so why be upset about it? And yes, I want to play light tanks. Tried heavies and they are just really boring to play for me. Tried the orthers as well but the lights are fun and demanding and I enjoy the challenge so, I’m going to stay with that.

When playing T8 light, I often ask the team before the game starts where they want me to spot, but I often don’t get an answer.... I guess I’ll just stop to care about it and disable chat.....

DanishPack #11 Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:36 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7777 battles
  • [TT-DK] TT-DK

View Post_EXODUZ_, on 19 February 2018 - 12:26 AM, said:

Hi,

If you really wanna improve at the game I can offer to teach you some things I know. I'd prefer to have a convo on TS, some practice in the training rooms, etc.

Send me a message in-game sometime tomorrow evening.

Thanks, Exoduz. I’ll take you up on that 

appreciate it very much

talk to you soon

DanishPack

mjs_89 #12 Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:38 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5226 battles
  • [95137] 95137

Hi!

I'm a fairly new player too (2,8k battles since augst) and, not too long ago, was in the same spot you are now.

As of now I manage to play withan average wn8 of 1000-1300 in my recent sessions. Mostly because of two things I did:

1) Watch youtube videos/livestreams of good players

You really learn a lot if you watch carefullyand try to apply what you see to your own games. Also, there are great players out there who comment on their replays and share their thoughts and explain their actions. Good examples (imo) are taugrim and lemmingrush. I've learned a lot from those two. Also circon, quickybaby, codymenz.

2) search the forum/yt/google for guides on the tanks you are playing.

Not all tanks are easy to play. Advice on what modules (eg gun), equipment and skills to use, as well as advice on how to play/position your tank and general info about its strenghts and weakness helped me a lot and I recommend you try the same.

Bonus advive: sadly, most of the people you meet in random battles are salty crybabies, don't expect too much help from them. But, since you are in a clan, you could ask one of yourmore expierienced clanmates to platoon with you and give you advice during the battles.

evilchaosmonkey #13 Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:38 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16655 battles
  • [EIGHT] EIGHT

People get upset because you are wasting their time.

Put others first and not yourself. 

Give up the lights, they are too demanding for you as your stats prove.

DanishPack #14 Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:40 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7777 battles
  • [TT-DK] TT-DK
Unknown_lifeform: Thanks, man. I guess I just got to get used to ignoring bad behavior. It is not something I usually do, but maybe you are right. Life is too short.... I am competitive too, but it is only a game.... I’ll start muting people

qqq10 #15 Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:42 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 23497 battles

View PostDanishPack, on 18 February 2018 - 11:26 PM, said:

Qqq10: Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am actually having an ok time and feel like I understand the basic mechanics of the game, but obviously, I am still not an expert due to the number of games I have played. However, my point here is that I have yet to meet somebody in chat that was constructive and offered help instead of mindlessly spewing obscenities. A few have been kind enough to praise after a game, but nobody has ever tried to explain what I did wrong or how to improve and that bothers me. How can anybody improve without direction and feedback? But I may be expecting too much from my fellow players.....

As I said, the chat is useless 99% of the time. That includes any sort of constructive feedback. If you want to learn (and trust me, you've still got a lot to learn) then you should find some guides on the forum or YT, maybe watch some streamers or find people like _EXODUZ_ here to help you. And lights really are a horrible choice at the beginning. Good luck.

Edited by qqq10, 19 February 2018 - 12:43 AM.

DanishPack #16 Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:45 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7777 battles
  • [TT-DK] TT-DK

Mjs_89: Thanks for the tips, I’ll look at the streamers you mentioned and do some more research. 

Evilchaosmonkey: I you don’t practice, how can you improve? You are basically telling me that I shouldn’t play until I am good enough. That is the same as telling people not to speak English until they have mastered it. Doesn’t really make sense. 

TheComfyChair #17 Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:54 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7615 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostEltvilleTiger, on 18 February 2018 - 11:53 PM, said:

Welcome to the game.  First, the forum can be quite toxic so be warned.  Second, this forum community is only a subset of the great community so you won't make much progress here. 

best advice:  "be nice no matter what" - that is all you can do in any game where chat is allowed.  just let the insults roll off of your back.  You'll get compliments and such as time goes on.

This ^^ . Don't let the grumpy dudes drag you down to their level. Although I recommend finding an imaginary friend who will sit next to you every battle and analyze your rants. :playing:

Dundato #18 Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:14 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26314 battles
Yea i play quite a number of MMO's and not once have i ever experienced the toxicity that goes on in this game in any of them.

Best advice:Turn your chat off and messages in the settings menu and if they want to ping yhe map 47 times cause they died on the other side of the map trying to take on 7 tanks at once. Just hold down ctrl and move the cursor to the left side of their name and block for battle

Isharial #19 Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:32 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 19826 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

the reality is, if your receiving a lot of hate in anything, its something you are doing, or not doing, that is the primary cause of it

in-game, if your playing lights, you need to play the light and find the enemy (their role) and not sit next to a heavy tank. they need you to find the enemy, they rely on it to move around the map, so if your not finding the enemy, your not letting them play their game either

if your a heavy tank, you have to be doing damage or be the steel wall and take the shots (depending on the vehicle) a Maus should be on the frontline, a 50 100, not so much...

and that's the thing. if your not doing your job and stopping someone from doing their job in game, they're going to be understandably annoyed with you, the best way to get rid of the hate? get better at the game.

that means, for your lights to learn where the enemy are not going to be, but are going to travel past. ie, spot them before they get into position and where they're least likely to be prepared for it. stealth is your armour, view range your shield

sniper_pixie #20 Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:52 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 50912 battles

View PostDanishPack, on 18 February 2018 - 11:34 PM, said:

Evil Hans monkey: Thanks for your feedback. I understand that me being a noob can be a burden for the team, but we have all been there at one point in time, so why be upset about it? And yes, I want to play light tanks. Tried heavies and they are just really boring to play for me. Tried the orthers as well but the lights are fun and demanding and I enjoy the challenge so, I’m going to stay with that.

When playing T8 light, I often ask the team before the game starts where they want me to spot, but I often don’t get an answer.... I guess I’ll just stop to care about it and disable chat.....

If you're asking the team where to go in a tier 8 light then you really shouldn't be playing a tier 8 light. You should be telling your team where to look for things you spot.

Having just looked at your stats and seen that you have played less than 2k games total, with a 43.66% win rate and 2.45 spots per game in your LTTB, I'm not surprised you're getting abuse.

You haven't played enough games to play a tier 8 light tank well. Your crew simply won't have enough skills and you don't have the experience.

Why do you want to grind up the tiers? What's wrong with training your crew at tier 4 or 5 until they have full camo and sixth sense? In a tier 8 light with a rubbish crew you can't be anything except a liability to your team. Have you not considered how selfish you're being by forcing yourself onto a team of players that wants to win the game, in the certain knowledge that you make their chances worse?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users