If wn8 expected values are per-tank based, why tanks wn8 stats are so different ?

wn8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

DSB_921 #1 Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:25 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16480 battles
  • [OTZ-] OTZ-

Hello tankers,

We all know that wn8 offers per-tank expected values, compared to which everyone's score is calculated, also per-tank based.

I'm curious about how the expected values are taken. The xvm team updates them daily. They must take into accout people's performance in a tank in order to provide relevent expected values (dmg, frag, ...). A stronger tank will have higher expected damage than a weaker one.

Meanwhile, vbaddict calculate average wn8 of all players providing data to them. Below an exemple of all tier 9 heavies sorted my average wn8 stats.

We can see that better tanks also have better wn8 scores.

The best : WZ111 1-4 have 1641 while the worst M103 scores 968. The gap is HUGE.

Here is the thing : if per-tank expected values are to balance "hardware difference" in order to allows to measure players' performance of each tank, should the average score of different tanks be close, if not the same (considering the sample size) ?

If people get better wn8 scores in an OP tank anyway, what's the point of such per-tank expected values ?

Draz_H #2 Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:24 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14692 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDSB_921, on 19 February 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

If people get better wn8 scores in an OP tank anyway, what's the point of such per-tank expected values ?

So you can pad even harder in tanks that have lower expected values. Usually lights and crap tanks.

Dex022 #3 Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:15 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38409 battles

Or tanks like t9 m46 and e50 that have lowish standard pen,were relative popular lines that were played by huge amount of players so expected values were rather low.

Now add full apcr tryhard spam and u get insane wn8 values. That was tryhard meta for various twich streamers a while ago and their gazillion wn8 values plus ofc their undeniable skill. But it is clear that full apcr spam in m46 and e50 combined with low expected values led to inflated wn8. Since super heavy meta these two tanks are not that popular for wn8 farm but they are still good anyways.

Dr_ownape #4 Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:21 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 42649 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

I don't think vbaddict is right there; best to have a look at the expected value tables that XVM produce to determine the hierarchy of tanks. as you OP rightly suggested it is tank based therefore the WN8 expected is based on tank performance.

For example to achieve say 2000 WN8 in the Skoda t50 you need approx. 1 kill and 2000 damage. to get the same in the Type 61 you might need 1 kill and 1800 damage (figures made up). That's is why I think the vbaddict table is misleading

Dr_ownape #5 Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:34 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 42649 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

Sry for the small picture but at work and it doesn't allow any add ons such as Java or shockwave. it doesn't even display the forum page correctly so it is the best illustration I can manage. Here is a clip from the expected table and you can see the difference between the WN8 expected (which I think is to achieve 1500 WN8).

eavy stats.jpg

Urmo345 #6 Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10150 battles
  • [EES4] EES4
WN8 is joke. It punishes if you  are going to play low tiers. Arguably to prevent stat padders, but in reality it is forcing to play tanks two or three Tier range. If you switch lower, you are punished. Win rate does not matter anymore, however good you are doing with lower tier tanks, your wn8 score is still gonna suck ;) PS: of course, it is still good for personal evaluation. Also individual tank values broke it completely, because of nerfs and other updates are not  correctly reflected in wn8. It is amazing how fast  my wn8 started to drop when i continued to play after few years pause. First i thought it was just because of gap in playing, but when wn8 continued to drop i started to seek answer. Answer was, that WN98 was, so called, "tweaked" beyond any recognition. Let alone my favored tanks were nerfed to death, yet WN8 expected good results ;)

Edited by Urmo345, 05 March 2018 - 05:06 PM.

Also tagged with wn8

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users