After a long break from the game: Wow, they really buffed arty!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

kymrel #1 Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:35 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30394 battles

Disclaimer: I think the game would be better without arty and would like it removed. I started playing some arty to learn how to avoid it better, and since played for that occasionally and to do the missions.

I‘ve been playing the game since beta but took over a year off, only returning to the drug that is pixel tanks recently. Since I don‘t really need to grind any tanks except for fun I decided to try to get the Obj.260 missions done, but in a casual way. Once I was partly through the missions for the other tanks I got in my tier 8 US arty (and occasionally the tier 10 USSR one) and started going through the missions.

Since I left, they reduced the pen for arty and added the stun mechanic. And two things jumped out. First of all, playing arty has never been easier. Almost every shot either hits what I aim for, or at least hits close enough to splash for a lot of damage and stun. This wasn’t the case before the change. Second, arty can now snapshot. Not reliably, and really, no tank can really snapshot reliably. But just like other tanks, some of the time it hits close enough, or even directly on the target despite no aim time at all. Again, this wasn't the case before. Back then, if you didn't aim fully you could just as well shoot at the next mountain.

This explains a lot. I was surprised when I came back to the game how much focus I was getting from arty in my light and medium tanks. After playing arty for a little while, boy I understand why. It’s so damn easy. You may not hit, but you’ll splash for 3-400 damage and cripple the tank or force it to use a kit or two, and get nice assist if someone manages to hit the little bugger before it can pop his kits.

I stupidly thought that with the stun mechanic and less chance to pen, arty was being nerfed. How innocent I was. Arty is now the most powerful it’s ever been. Sure, it’s less one-shots, but it’s reliable damage, far fewer edge of circle shots that do nothing, and now you also debuff tanks you hit, and all their friends in a stupidly large circle.

Arty has now gone even further from the stated goal of stopping camping. If you want good xp and credits playing arty you hammer the tanks that your friends are shooting at, stunning them and getting heaps of assist. You know, the enemy tanks actually pushing and fighting. You don’t take the shot on the camping tank destroyer that pops up for a moment behind the enemy lines unless you don’t have other targets. Because even if you hit him for 400ish damage you will probably get very little assist because others won’t be able to shoot him, and he’ll have a kit to pop to shake the stun, unlike the heavies you and the other arty have been pummeling for the entire game. So now arty is focused on punishing the enemy tanks fighting in the front line, be they heavies or mediums.

If arty was cancerous before, it’s reached a terminal stage now. I’ve done all the arty missions for the Obj.260. Finished 4-15 this morning without realizing it until after the battle. Stars aligned, that's all. Almost all the missions were much easier than missions for the other tanks. And I could watch TV and eat while playing.

I don’t really have a conclusion for this post. It just surprised me that they would buff arty after all the hate. A hate I share. Even if that makes me a hypocrite for playing arty.

iztok #2 Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:00 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles

> Wow, they really buffed arty!

They didn't. But playing arty nowadays isn't so boring as it was before, when you (most of the time) missed and thus haven't done anything.

micky1up #3 Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:13 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7695 battles

View Postkymrel, on 20 February 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

Disclaimer: I think the game would be better without arty and would like it removed. I started playing some arty to learn how to avoid it better, and since played for that occasionally and to do the missions.

I‘ve been playing the game since beta but took over a year off, only returning to the drug that is pixel tanks recently. Since I don‘t really need to grind any tanks except for fun I decided to try to get the Obj.260 missions done, but in a casual way. Once I was partly through the missions for the other tanks I got in my tier 8 US arty (and occasionally the tier 10 USSR one) and started going through the missions.

Since I left, they reduced the pen for arty and added the stun mechanic. And two things jumped out. First of all, playing arty has never been easier. Almost every shot either hits what I aim for, or at least hits close enough to splash for a lot of damage and stun. This wasn’t the case before the change. Second, arty can now snapshot. Not reliably, and really, no tank can really snapshot reliably. But just like other tanks, some of the time it hits close enough, or even directly on the target despite no aim time at all. Again, this wasn't the case before. Back then, if you didn't aim fully you could just as well shoot at the next mountain.

This explains a lot. I was surprised when I came back to the game how much focus I was getting from arty in my light and medium tanks. After playing arty for a little while, boy I understand why. It’s so damn easy. You may not hit, but you’ll splash for 3-400 damage and cripple the tank or force it to use a kit or two, and get nice assist if someone manages to hit the little bugger before it can pop his kits.

I stupidly thought that with the stun mechanic and less chance to pen, arty was being nerfed. How innocent I was. Arty is now the most powerful it’s ever been. Sure, it’s less one-shots, but it’s reliable damage, far fewer edge of circle shots that do nothing, and now you also debuff tanks you hit, and all their friends in a stupidly large circle.

Arty has now gone even further from the stated goal of stopping camping. If you want good xp and credits playing arty you hammer the tanks that your friends are shooting at, stunning them and getting heaps of assist. You know, the enemy tanks actually pushing and fighting. You don’t take the shot on the camping tank destroyer that pops up for a moment behind the enemy lines unless you don’t have other targets. Because even if you hit him for 400ish damage you will probably get very little assist because others won’t be able to shoot him, and he’ll have a kit to pop to shake the stun, unlike the heavies you and the other arty have been pummeling for the entire game. So now arty is focused on punishing the enemy tanks fighting in the front line, be they heavies or mediums.

If arty was cancerous before, it’s reached a terminal stage now. I’ve done all the arty missions for the Obj.260. Finished 4-15 this morning without realizing it until after the battle. Stars aligned, that's all. Almost all the missions were much easier than missions for the other tanks. And I could watch TV and eat while playing.

I don’t really have a conclusion for this post. It just surprised me that they would buff arty after all the hate. A hate I share. Even if that makes me a hypocrite for playing arty.

It wasn't buffed it was nerfed  and even after that you still get morons crying about being hit arty players adapted quickly  and yet again if its so easy  why are so many player useless in it and its still and always was despite the lies a least damaging class in the game

HeidenSieker #4 Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:16 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View Postiztok, on 20 February 2018 - 12:00 PM, said:

> Wow, they really buffed arty!

They didn't. But playing arty nowadays isn't so boring as it was before, when you (most of the time) missed and thus haven't done anything.

Still seems to be the case. OP's done 17 battles a day since November, Obj 261 is his 44th. most played tank (198 battles), but only 228th (of 270) by win rate (47.47%).

Ho hum.

CrniVrag #5 Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:26 PM

Sergeant

• Veteran
  • 32915 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
They didn't buff them, they just made them more annoying. Shells lands 15 meters away, does 0 damage, but you're stunned for 20 seconds. I don't care about arty tbh, they'll always be there to spread their "love", but well, stun mechanics are really annoying me :arta:

Daxeno #6 Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:57 PM

• 130 battles
  • [WG_M] WG_M

This thread discussing arty is now locked. Please post about arty in the dedicated SPG thread. Thank you.

Daxeno

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users