Is tier 9 conway any good?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

TheOddRogue #1 Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:18 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9977 battles

I'm curious about this tank. How does it hold up tier for tier compared to charioteer? 

Edited by TheOddRogue, 20 February 2018 - 03:18 PM.

Simeon85 #2 Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 1097 battles

Not really IMO, it's big, with poor camo and no real armour, isn't that fast or agile so the platform is poor. 

Gun wise you either get the 120mm gun, which is basically the same as a heavy tank gun (and you get a much better package with this gun on the Conqueror), or the 5.5 inch gun which again lacks pen as a TD, has no real premium round so you can't deal with most heavies frontally and the HESH shells only boost your alpha to pretty much the same as a 704 or T30, whilst having terrible pen and costing 7,200 credits per shot.

For both guns, any sort of movement gives you massive bloom so you have to be stationary to fire pretty much. 

I really don't know what sort of role the Conway is supposed to play, the 120mm gun gives very little but DPM over a Conqueror on a barely more mobile platform, whilst the 5,5 inch is so derpy and lacks pen that you need to get close and flank but don't really want to be doing that in such a big paper target. 

Charioteer is a mobile sniper, the Conway is some pseudo-medium/TD that seems to have the worst of both classes. 

If the 5.5 inch gun is supposed to be the gun it uses then it needs much better base pen, like 280-290 at least, it needs less dramatic bloom and the HESH shells need to do 900 damage to be worthwhile. 

Edited by Simeon85, 20 February 2018 - 04:13 PM.

Balc0ra #3 Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:22 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62729 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Tier for tier vs the tier 8? IMO no. The only thing great about is the DPM. Everything else vs the tier 8 is worse off. It's great in a support role if the targets come to your side all the time and you can let the gun work. But if you constantly have to move and relocate etc to be effective. Then it suffers badly. The mobility buff it got was helpful. But vs CT1, it was nerfed so much that you hardly notice it besides the top speed. And it takes a bit to get it on med to soft terrain. Gun depression buff did help. But even so it's not great in most situations.

Bad_Mojo_incoming #4 Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:44 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19379 battles
  • [THIK] THIK

The Conway is the due pain and suffering you need to go through yourself before you are allowed to spam HESH and 1750 alpha in the Shitbarn and make other players life miserable. That simple.

It's crappy vehicle with both guns. Don't be fooled by the seemingly good stats of the 120mm gun. It's a turd. Aiming time is much higher IRL then on paper, and accuracy is worse then on paper. And forget about the 650 alpha gun, that's useless, don't even try it.

2nd rate 2nd line sniper tank, that's the Conway.

Simeon85 #5 Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 1097 battles

View PostBad_Mojo_incoming, on 20 February 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

The Conway is the due pain and suffering you need to go through yourself before you are allowed to spam HESH and 1750 alpha in the Shitbarn and make other players life miserable. That simple.

It's crappy vehicle with both guns. Don't be fooled by the seemingly good stats of the 120mm gun. It's a turd. Aiming time is much higher IRL then on paper, and accuracy is worse then on paper. And forget about the 650 alpha gun, that's useless, don't even try it.

2nd rate 2nd line sniper tank, that's the Conway.

5.5 inch gun > 120mm IMO.

120mm offers nothing you can't get with a Torty or Conqueror, the 5,5 inch gun at least has some alpha so you can trade ok with it. 

Balc0ra #6 Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62729 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostSimeon85, on 20 February 2018 - 04:59 PM, said:

5.5 inch gun > 120mm IMO.

120mm offers nothing you can't get with a Torty or Conqueror, the 5,5 inch gun at least has some alpha so you can trade ok with it. 

Trade ok with if they allow you to, as in they don't push you after you fire. If they get in your face when you reload. Then the more alpha don't help when they take all your HP off before you can fire again. As DPM is not something you have then. It's fine as a support gun. But if the enemy gets to close. It's gonna leave you worse off in a 1 on 1.

Edited by Balc0ra, 20 February 2018 - 05:07 PM.

Coldspell #7 Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:36 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18583 battles
I find it tolerable. Not terrible but nothing to write home about.
Once I finish grind I will sell it but I don't feel the need to use free exp on it.

leggasiini #8 Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 9471 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
Pretty bad with both guns. I used the 5.5 inch because it at least had some fun/meme factor going for it. Super high DPM - low alpha - terrible bloom combination of 120 mm simply does not work on platform like the Conway has. 5.5 inch got pretty nice alpha so there is that.

FluffyRedFox #9 Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21562 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

I would say no.

With the 120mm you're basically a handicapped conqueror.

With the HESH gun, I don't see the point of it compared to 155 T30 or 15cm Wt Pz IV.

Both guns also have atrocious soft stats on the hull so they're much more inaccurate than what the paper stats say unless you're sniping. 

Igor_BL #10 Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35499 battles

i loved old Conway. only problem was -5 gun depression.

now -10, i think it is fantastic tank.

brumbarr #11 Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:06 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Its a great tank imo, good mobility with a killer gun and -10° of gun dep. 

That dpm is jsut amazing and you can obliterate tanks. You also have a turret  and -10° of gun dep, so its very flexible and can function as a med.

I  used the 120mm, the superior gun imo, the 5.5 is just meh, hesh isnt worth it and you dont get the dpm and 326 apcr.

I 3 marked mine in 89 battles, with 3350 avg dmg and  851 avg assist! 

Thats the highest of any of my tier9 TDs and the third highest off all my tier9 tanks.

Simeon85 #12 Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 1097 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 20 February 2018 - 05:06 PM, said:

Trade ok with if they allow you to, as in they don't push you after you fire. If they get in your face when you reload. Then the more alpha don't help when they take all your HP off before you can fire again. As DPM is not something you have then. It's fine as a support gun. But if the enemy gets to close. It's gonna leave you worse off in a 1 on 1.

DPM is hardly poor for the 5.5 inch, it's 2.6k base, you can get the reload down to 11.4s which is like 0.5s slower than an IS3's reload. 

Hardly like you will get rushed, around 10-11s gives you time to drop off the radar as well. Plus if you pen the HESH you can push the DPM to over 4000. Didn't get rushed when I played it, it's not that long a reload and people often don't want to take a 600 damage hit. 

I played it similarly to the M4 Rev, medium to close range support, pop out when you have a good shot or someone is distracted, drop back into cover, drop off radar, rinse repeat. Did ok with it, but frustrating tank with the bloom and missed shots if you didn't have time to fully aim. 

View Postbrumbarr, on 20 February 2018 - 07:06 PM, said:

Its a great tank imo, good mobility with a killer gun and -10° of gun dep. 

That dpm is jsut amazing and you can obliterate tanks. You also have a turret  and -10° of gun dep, so its very flexible and can function as a med.

I  used the 120mm, the superior gun imo, the 5.5 is just meh, hesh isnt worth it and you dont get the dpm and 326 apcr.

I 3 marked mine in 89 battles, with 3350 avg dmg and  851 avg assist! 

Thats the highest of any of my tier9 TDs and the third highest off all my tier9 tanks.

Conqueror has a turret, with -10 gun depression, is almost as agile, only goes 6kph slower and has armour to use. The Conway just felt to me like a pointless tank in comparison, as the Conqueror offers the same gun with rail gun levels of handling and turret armour, Conq. is one of my favourite tanks though so probably biased. 

With regards to 'medium things' I had similar issues to the Charioteer in that you have all the basic components, but the bloom and turret traverse just made it impractical. So just couldn't get it to work, never really felt comfortable in it and then you don't get that 'TD power' of big alpha or high pen to compensate. 

Impressive results though, what beats it for tier 9 performance? 

Edited by Simeon85, 21 February 2018 - 11:14 AM.

Igor_BL #13 Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35499 battles
This must be tajj.

adameitas #14 Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:08 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 60551 battles
  • [KITTY] KITTY
have fully researched charioteer but didnt buy it yet. Mainly bc of bad gun handling on both tanks.  Some ppl say Conway is fantastic some say its garbage.. like in this topic when even good players have different opinion about it:) Recently i change 100 mm gun on amx65t for big one and must say tank became much better. But i doubt that on Conway it would work. I usually like to pick alpha over rof in big paper tanks but it seems Conway is quite fast and has turret. Reading this topic i am starting believe that gameplay of Conway with 120mm gun might be quite similar to Skorpion g. On paper it seems you should be a sniping td  but in game tank somehow works great even in frontline. i hope i am right.

the_Haba #15 Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:17 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 26327 battles

Uh huh. Bigger, less mobile and less accurate Skorpion G.

But it does get tier 9 MM.

wsatnutter #16 Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:19 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 23972 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
can be fun at times

ApocalypseSquad #17 Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:39 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26124 battles

Hmmm, OP, imagine finding a rancid smear of dog excrement inside your favourite sandwich.  That's how the Conway feels after the Charioteer.

Two guns with terrible alpha for an unarmoured T9 TD.  DPM is meaningless when you can't take a hit, and the abysmal camo means you can't hide either.  And forget popping out to take a shot while your target is distracted.  It's not all that nimble, and the appalling gun bloom on movement makes that a complete lottery.  Add to that the useless HESH premium ammo and you are in for a miserable experience.  I've had more fun at the Dentists.

brumbarr #18 Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:53 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSimeon85, on 21 February 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

DPM is hardly poor for the 5.5 inch, it's 2.6k base, you can get the reload down to 11.4s which is like 0.5s slower than an IS3's reload. 

Hardly like you will get rushed, around 10-11s gives you time to drop off the radar as well. Plus if you pen the HESH you can push the DPM to over 4000. Didn't get rushed when I played it, it's not that long a reload and people often don't want to take a 600 damage hit. 

I played it similarly to the M4 Rev, medium to close range support, pop out when you have a good shot or someone is distracted, drop back into cover, drop off radar, rinse repeat. Did ok with it, but frustrating tank with the bloom and missed shots if you didn't have time to fully aim. 

Conqueror has a turret, with -10 gun depression, is almost as agile, only goes 6kph slower and has armour to use. The Conway just felt to me like a pointless tank in comparison, as the Conqueror offers the same gun with rail gun levels of handling and turret armour, Conq. is one of my favourite tanks though so probably biased. 

With regards to 'medium things' I had similar issues to the Charioteer in that you have all the basic components, but the bloom and turret traverse just made it impractical. So just couldn't get it to work, never really felt comfortable in it and then you don't get that 'TD power' of big alpha or high pen to compensate. 

Impressive results though, what beats it for tier 9 performance? 

Conq doesnt have the monsterous rof though. 

And the conq being better doesnt make the conway a bad tank. Just the conq is excellent.

Skoda and e50 beat it.

Simeon85 #19 Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 1097 battles

View Postbrumbarr, on 21 February 2018 - 11:53 AM, said:

Conq doesnt have the monsterous rof though. 

And the conq being better doesnt make the conway a bad tank. Just the conq is excellent.

Skoda and e50 beat it.

It doesn't but not sure how much value that has in the current meta, plus Conq is able to sit there and dish out multiple shots more easily cos it can take some hits so maybe just more forgiving for us lesser mortals.

Not saying it's a bad tank per se, more a tank that I struggled to find a role for, kind of what you can do in it, other tanks are more suited as it's some sort of med/TD hybrid but has a lot of of the poorer elements of both. Like I said for me I just couldn't stand the bloom and having to aim for like 3-4s to make the shot hit, if I am going to do that I want to hit for more and I really don't like TDs that you are inclined to reach for the 2 key on.  

Skoda makes sense, but over 3.5k in the E50 in the current meta that is very impressive. 

brumbarr #20 Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:08 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSimeon85, on 21 February 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

It doesn't but not sure how much value that has in the current meta, plus Conq is able to sit there and dish out multiple shots more easily cos it can take some hits so maybe just more forgiving for us lesser mortals.

Not saying it's a bad tank per se, more a tank that I struggled to find a role for, kind of what you can do in it, other tanks are more suited as it's some sort of med/TD hybrid but has a lot of of the poorer elements of both. Like I said for me I just couldn't stand the bloom and having to aim for like 3-4s to make the shot hit, if I am going to do that I want to hit for more and I really don't like TDs that you are inclined to reach for the 2 key on.  

Skoda makes sense, but over 3.5k in the E50 in the current meta that is very impressive. 

I cant really describe how I play it, but must be quite aggressive, since I have an avg of 800 spotting dmg, I play it like a medium tank. 

Idk, it jsut worked for me. I dont think you can say if its  a bad or good tank, more a tank that   people either love or hate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users