PvE mode could it improve PvP?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Simeon85 #1 Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:43 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 1097 battles

Was discussing this last night in platoon after we met a 43% player, an actual player, who had over 1.6k games in the Bulldog, this player had a 38% win rate in it and did 200 damage per game in it. I really cannot grasp how someone like that enjoys the game, when they basically lose lots and do nothing of note. This player also had tier 9 and 10s, hundreds of games in them and was again 38-42% WR in all of them, so is a useless top tier often as well.

We could only assume that these sort of players clearly have little interest in 'playing' the game, they must want to just drive tanks around and shoot things, whilst not really caring how they do or if they win or how it impacts their team mates.

So to me the most obvious solution would be a PvE mode. 

Clearly there are a lot of players who struggle with the game, so maybe they would be more happy in a PvE mode shooting bots? Would this draw a lot of the very bad, 'play for fun' type players away from randoms and possibly improve the standard of gameplay? Just a thought.

Other benefits of PvE mode would be that it would be a good place to learn to the mechanics and basics, hopefully allowing newer players to be more prepared in PvE. 

It also might be a good place for all those players who complain about MM, that they get losing streaks, that the MM is rigged against them, as many of these players are essentially asking for an easier game with more wins, well PvE would give them that. 

Cons would be that it draws players away from the random queue (I believe AW had issues with this) but certainly the EU and Russian playerbases are large enough to absorb that.

There would also be a question about what level of progress you would make in this mode and people could potentially grind to tier 10 in PvE then jump into tier 10 PvP without much clue, but then that happens anyway with free XP and premiums etc. 

WOWs seems to have a solid PvE mode, both with regular games plus special missions and you can progress both XP and credits there but at a lower rate. 

ricoBenitez1 #2 Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:23 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 508 battles
So they were like you with your amasing 40,93%

Edited by ricoBenitez1, 22 February 2018 - 10:23 AM.

Azgabast #3 Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:26 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19005 battles
I would like this, if not, at least for the possibilty of farming some credits easily, but it might make premium tanks sales drop, which won't be taken kindly by the wg staff..

Simeon85 #4 Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:31 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 1097 battles

View PostAzgabast, on 22 February 2018 - 10:26 AM, said:

I would like this, if not, at least for the possibilty of farming some credits easily, but it might make premium tanks sales drop, which won't be taken kindly by the wg staff..

Premium tanks would presumably work in the mode as well, they did in AW's PvE to my recollection and in WOWs PvE modes as well. 

Edited by Simeon85, 22 February 2018 - 10:32 AM.

TankkiPoju #5 Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:22 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20993 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

You know what this game needs:

More people who can grind to tier 10 tanks without playing a single normal PvP random game :)

Because buying a Löwe with 1k battles isn't a stretch enough.

Shivva #6 Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:24 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29809 battles
  • [J_A_G] J_A_G

View PostTankkiPoju, on 22 February 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

You know what this game needs:

More people who can grind to tier 10 tanks without playing a single normal PvP random game :)

Because buying a Löwe with 1k battles isn't a stretch enough.

This^

Ricky_Rolls #7 Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 66954 battles
PVE for arties would be the dream.

vasilinhorulezz #8 Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22813 battles

No, we don't need more fail tier 10s in our teams,

that farmed the xp and credits in pve and now unlocked their tier 10 and start playing it, with out even the slightest pvp experience.

Martijn_mk2 #9 Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5840 battles
Simeon85 is this your bot account?

kaneloon #10 Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:20 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28659 battles
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC

View PostRicky_Rolls, on 22 February 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

PVE for arties would be the dream.

If it worked for missions, why not. But then who would calm agressive unicums ??

Frostilicus #11 Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:21 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 22479 battles
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-
PvE mode would be great, I was hoping that they would take the experience from WoWS and graft it into WoT, still waiting :)

Aikl #12 Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:33 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26004 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostFrostilicus, on 22 February 2018 - 12:21 PM, said:

PvE mode would be great, I was hoping that they would take the experience from WoWS and graft it into WoT, still waiting :)

There might be a reason why that won't happen - my best guess (with limited boating experience) would be that WoT demands more players in the 'pool' to create decent matches, simply because there's more variance per tier/class than for ships.

I could very well be wrong, but in WoT there is enormous diversity for many classes (Type 5/50B are both heavies, Grille 15/T110E3 are both TDs), WoWs look like ships are a bit more 'uniform' in terms of the role they play, despite being rather 'diverse'.

(I get the impression that e.g. Japanese battleships are generally more suited for long-range engagements as opposed to more 'in-your-face' sluggers, but they still have similar features with pros/cons rather than a different role entirely.)

(Oh, and of course the fact that AW supposedly ruined itself on PvE, and that WoT generally can't manage to tempt players into new game modes after years of doing the same.)

Enforcer1975 #13 Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:40 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20967 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG
PVE won't help you improve imo in fact you will be worse since ai can only act in certain ways.

VsUK #14 Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14288 battles
Problem with this, is that maps would either have to be bigger than the grand battle maps or the number of tanks reduced to say 10. Otherwise, you will have tanks spawning on top of other tanks & would just be a mess. Pretty much like what its like getting Malinovka in a tier 10 match where each team has 2 or 3 lights & your in a slow moving heavy. You have literally 10 seconds before your all lit up & taking damage.

Long_Range_Sniper #15 Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:46 PM

General

• Player
  • 33429 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

I think people are missing the point of this suggestion.

Firstly, I'd ask people reading this to reflect how you feel as a player when you play world of tanks. Do you get frustrated with your team-mates? Do you have chat off and just do your own thing? Do you ping the map lots at the start of the game, or just ignore pings from other players? In essence, how bothered are you that you're fighting people driving pixel tanks, or do you just like the fact you get to drive a pixel tank and shoot stuff.

There are probably people reading this who did the campaigns in Call of Duty games but never played in multiplayer mode. That sort of reflection about what you take from a game.

This suggestion looks at delivering an experience for different sort of players depending what they take from the game. But without the negative outcomes of things like skill based matchmaking. 

There was another thread recently about the dumbing down of the game, and last night we saw an O-Ni who literally pressed "W" and shot anything they could shoot. No positioning, no tactics, just point and fire with a winrate to match!

To a certain extent artillery functions apart from the game. It's a detached mode and who cares about the broken keyboards at the other end of the internet as long as you get to blow something up.

A PvE mode that does not deliver the XP/credit outcomes in comparison to PvP may appeal to players for which PvP is too much of a challenge. It would reduce winrates potentially, but not generate a trend towards 50% like skill based MM.

I think the idea stacks up as a concept, but does it stack up in business terms for WG? What's in it for them? Do they have server space/capacity?

The thing is, WG allow for training rooms to be created. Is there a reason why this couldn't be a new type of training room. You get to pick your tank and map to train on, and the map is populated by bots to train against. Surely this is better than the current training room approach?

Zoggo_ #16 Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:49 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 28749 battles

I would like PVE co-op for special events only, could say that WG already trialled PVE with the Leviathan event. 

Historical WW2 missions would be amazing. What tanker wouldn't want to re-enact Villers Bocage, El Alamein or Kursk? 

I would worry PVE could reduce the numbers playing PVP significantly if the mode was constantly available.  This game is all about testing your skills against real players not bots, then again some of the players you meet now not sure I can tell the difference....:facepalm:

AW an example where PVE killed off PVP, albeit with with very small player base.

Shivva #17 Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:51 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29809 battles
  • [J_A_G] J_A_G

View PostVsUK, on 22 February 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

Problem with this, is that maps would either have to be bigger than the grand battle maps or the number of tanks reduced to say 10. Otherwise, you will have tanks spawning on top of other tanks & would just be a mess. Pretty much like what its like getting Malinovka in a tier 10 match where each team has 2 or 3 lights & your in a slow moving heavy. You have literally 10 seconds before your all lit up & taking damage.

Have you tried the new armour-bot mod?

spendog8 #18 Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:31 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16963 battles
  • [UKT] UKT
Id go for PVE, they could have set tanks to play in the mode that are not in the tech tree, or have a completely separate PVE Tech tree so you cant pve your way to tier 10 in pvp battles. win win

Bucifel #19 Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32364 battles
  • [B4DD] B4DD
i would really like to have some permanent PVE part in this game...not only on events

NUKLEAR_SLUG #20 Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:38 PM

Major

• Player
  • 30520 battles

View PostShivva, on 22 February 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

Have you tried the new armour-bot mod?

That one's not any good. Too many aimbots around with weak spot tracking and module auto-crit. Waiting for version 2.0 to come out,  it apparently addresses those issues. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users