Jump to content


Object 257

Comments tips and so on

  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

diegoepoimaria #1 Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:14 PM

    Corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 28936 battles
  • 128
  • [31RGT] 31RGT
  • Member since:
    09-29-2010

Hi all

 

I've just started using the infamous Object 257.

It's not bad ( and I can hear you all yelling " nooooooooooooooo, it's OP!! ), but still, I don't understand it completely.

I've had great games, with 3or 4 k damage absorbed from the mighty side armour, and I've had horrible games.

 

For some games the fault is surely mine ( I often play absentmindly or while talking on the phone ), but for some others, I simply wasn't able to use it correctly.

 

As of now, I can say: 

1) Side, side, side and side again. The side of this tank seems to be perfect. Sidescraping all the way.

2) Avoid exposing frontal armour, It's too weak for tier 9 or 10 games. As of now, I can say that sometimes it's better to expose the whole flank than exposing even a part of the front.

3) Good gun. I like it. 

 

But still ... I still don't get exactly how to use it.

What do you think?

How do you use it? Do you live only sidescraping?



mortalsatsuma #2 Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:58 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 14972 battles
  • 1,762
  • Member since:
    06-13-2014

It's not OP, it's a straight up broken tank that actively rewards stupid play. I love mine, something like 56% W/R and a K/D of almost 3.0 after approx 65 games which is hilarious considering i'm crap in anything above tier 6.

 

There's no real secret to this tank as it's so stupid. For me, the best tip is to just keep moving and being a bully. I've had so many people panic shoot me for no damage because I just kept getting in their face. Had a game yesterday where a jagdtiger 8.8 bounced 15 rounds of gold off of me in a row. I have the replay uploaded on the Wotreplays site, got my Ace tanker in that game and i'm pretty close to a 2nd MOE which is not something I thought would happen to me as i'm so crap in higher tiers. 

 

The frontal armour, IMO, is not weak unless facing super high pen guns, as the pike nose means if they hit you even slightly off centre, it becomes like an auto-ricochet. I've frequently had tier 9/10 guns bounce off my front hull because of this. The lower plate is a weakspot, true, and my driver seems to die constantly but it's not that weak and most tier 7s will struggle to pen you there with gold and some tier 8s, particularly mediums, will have a tough time penning you there without gold. 

 

It helps to have an awareness of maps and how the enemy team will deploy. I've had great games by going to areas where LTs will usually go to and it just screws up the enemy teams LTs plans when they're faced with this monster that they can't pen (oh, and the traverse on this thing is completely stupid too. Mine has a hull traverse of over 50 and a turret traverse of like 30 so good luck trying to circle me. 

 

You can side-scrape in it but for me, this is pretty hit or miss and I seem to have better success not side-scraping for some reason. Even when people know where to shoot you, the armour is incredibly troll and due to WG butchering accuracy so that it's no longer relevant, even if someone aims for the correct part of your side armour there's a good chance the shot will dip low and just get eaten by tracks. I've even had tanks like Conquerors bounce off the armour on the underside of my tank whilst i was cresting a ridge because of the triangular shape!

 

Anyway, my advice would be; try to learn which tanks are actually a threat to you and which aren't and try to plan where the enemy team are going to deploy. Most maps have a set 'meta' that most teams stick to. I personally like to try and head to where the LTs/MTs go as many of them will panic and just cannot deal with you. Plus nobody, not even tier 10s, want to get spanked by 440 alpha.

 

Also just be a bully. Try to keep on moving and wiggling as the armour relies more on stupid bounce angles, though it is very thick anyway, to get decent bounces. I find a lot of people will panic shoot you and bounce or even miss from very close range if you do this (I had a T57 Heavy and a Leo prototype both panic when I rushed them yesterday. I killed the T57 and put a few rounds up the Leo's arse whilst he ran away. 

 

Ultimately, this tank is plain and simply completely stupid and broken and anyone who tries to defend it as otherwise is delusional. I personally have no trouble at all dealing with opposing 257s but many enemy 257 players seem to have no idea how to deal with mine.   



blacklupos #3 Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:24 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 13453 battles
  • 464
  • Member since:
    09-17-2010
Another stupid OP rasha tank. Can't pen its side with tier 10, because why not.

Today I saw one rushing in the field in malinovka, and no one was able to pen. Straight up stupid tank.

etikchoochoo #4 Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:11 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 5189 battles
  • 85
  • [J3FF] J3FF
  • Member since:
    07-03-2014
I find that reverse sidescraping the tank is an absolute beast however approaching people head on i find that unless they're low pen tier 8's and 7's i nearly always get penned in the lower plate or the side of the pike nose if i'm not straight on. With reverse sidescraping you are pretty much impenetrable to gold ammo due to the troll side armour.

diegoepoimaria #5 Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

    Corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 28936 battles
  • 128
  • [31RGT] 31RGT
  • Member since:
    09-29-2010

View Postetikchoochoo, on 25 February 2018 - 11:11 PM, said:

I find that reverse sidescraping the tank is an absolute beast however approaching people head on i find that unless they're low pen tier 8's and 7's i nearly always get penned in the lower plate or the side of the pike nose if i'm not straight on. With reverse sidescraping you are pretty much impenetrable to gold ammo due to the troll side armour.

 

Yes, i do agree.

And now, with the second turret, when I'm sidescraping, i can bounce a hilarious amount of shots.

 

And yes, it's WAAAAY too much ...

 

The frontal armour, on the other hand, it's not so good, I do agree. And if you expose any part of the frontal armourwhile sidescraping, then you'll get penned by tier 9 and 10.

This tank is surely good, but only if you sidescrape, otherwise, It's a normal tier 9 heavy ( with almost impenetrable sides ).



Chuzo02 #6 Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:39 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 29684 battles
  • 166
  • [NEURO] NEURO
  • Member since:
    12-26-2014

[edited]retarded tank, just now I bounce 4 shots in Erlenberg almost face to face because???

-First one on the side of the turret...nothing
- Second the lateral....nothing

- Third one triying to hit the lowforntal...bounce

- Forth one autoaim because i was fed up but on the lateral...nothing

 

All of this 3 meters from him. Basically he was alones against 3 tanks and nothing we could do

I was using the patriot, normal AP. FU WG.



kaneloon #7 Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:29 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 32243 battles
  • 4,270
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0
  • Member since:
    11-18-2011

View Postdiegoepoimaria, on 22 February 2018 - 05:14 PM, said:

Hi all

 

I've just started using the infamous Object 257.

It's not bad ( and I can hear you all yelling " nooooooooooooooo, it's OP!! ), but still, I don't understand it completely.

I've had great games, with 3or 4 k damage absorbed from the mighty side armour, and I've had horrible games.

 

For some games the fault is surely mine ( I often play absentmindly or while talking on the phone ), but for some others, I simply wasn't able to use it correctly.

 

As of now, I can say: 

1) Side, side, side and side again. The side of this tank seems to be perfect. Sidescraping all the way.

2) Avoid exposing frontal armour, It's too weak for tier 9 or 10 games. As of now, I can say that sometimes it's better to expose the whole flank than exposing even a part of the front.

3) Good gun. I like it. 

 

But still ... I still don't get exactly how to use it.

What do you think?

How do you use it? Do you live only sidescraping?

 

Did you started it fully researched and with a good crew ? 

For my part I finally found a use for my beloved KV1 (the crew !).

 

About the gameplay : it is much like the T-10, I find that it is not very different from it (mobility, gun).

 

About your post : I don't think that exposing any part of any tank is a good idea, just play it as if it has no armor (because arty / HE / snipers), plus bouncing gives nothing in terms of XP or money.

And last but not least it leaves you the "fear factor" : enemies won't trade with you or aim you if they have the choice.

 

View Postmortalsatsuma, on 23 February 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

 

I've had great games by going to areas where LTs will usually go to and it just screws up the enemy teams LTs plans when they're faced with this monster that they can't pen (oh, and the traverse on this thing is completely stupid too. Mine has a hull traverse of over 50 and a turret traverse of like 30 so good luck trying to circle me.  

 

This is a good advice.


Edited by kaneloon, 01 March 2018 - 12:35 AM.


denisdenikr #8 Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:56 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 17589 battles
  • 432
  • Member since:
    07-10-2015

View Postkaneloon, on 01 March 2018 - 12:29 AM, said:

 

 

About the gameplay : it is much like the T-10, I find that it is not very different from it (mobility, gun).

 

Really? Like T-10? Try to show your side on T-10 and tell us how it went...That peace of sh** is nothing like T-10... T-10 is nice rounded and balanced tank like most of old tier IX tanks... Gun on T-10 is better, you have turret that it actualy can work, and as far as mobility goes, T-10 is god of speed compared to Obj257... Obj257 I not OP tank, it is broken tank... you don't face enemy with your front on that crap, you face them with sides, and closer they are, more useless their gun is against that crap...  I drive it, and I feel stupid in it, just because you really need to play it like total noob to actually make its armor work...Frontal armor is useless, and turret is crap for hull down positions just because of those cupolas on it... its not even funy when you have 3000+ blocked dmg  just by playing like tard and exposing your side... so yeah... keep your enemy on its sides, keep them close, and move so they cant shoot turret cupolas, because that is only part of tank that they can pen if they see only side of tank...


Edited by denisdenikr, 03 March 2018 - 05:03 AM.


Inappropriate_noob #9 Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:42 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 17677 battles
  • 5,502
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011

Oh dear, all the negativity about this tank, this is my first tier 9 tank, as of now under gunned underpowered, and i am guessing under-armoured as it has the IS3 turret on it still, so there for completely stock.

 

So in my case which should I grind for the first, the tracks, engine BL 13 gun (or whatever it actually is) I have a feeling I am going to enjoy this tank way more than I do the crappy IS3.



Evilier_than_Skeletor #10 Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:03 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 21892 battles
  • 885
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    02-05-2016

View Postkaptainkrunch, on 04 April 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

Oh dear, all the negativity about this tank, this is my first tier 9 tank, as of now under gunned underpowered, and i am guessing under-armoured as it has the IS3 turret on it still, so there for completely stock.

 

So in my case which should I grind for the first, the tracks, engine BL 13 gun (or whatever it actually is) I have a feeling I am going to enjoy this tank way more than I do the crappy IS3.

 

Negativity comes from the dumb design of the tank, even if it's not too strong. Poking your front wheel around the corner is a mistake and should be punished, but it's not in this tank. Drifting sideways to the enemy is another, but it's not punished in this tank. Atleast not enough. If you didn't like IS-3, I'm afraid the chances are you won't like this either.

Inappropriate_noob #11 Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:39 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 17677 battles
  • 5,502
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011
Ok well i must be playing it wrong as I certainly get penned in this by Lowes and the such, having said that my 257 is totally stock at the moment, the tank certainly is not invincible, and I somehow prefer this to the IS3.

HEADD #12 Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:34 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 19528 battles
  • 440
  • Member since:
    02-22-2011
This tank have petter side armor than front.Tacks eats everything...

Edited by HEADD, 16 April 2018 - 09:34 PM.


tomosten #13 Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:22 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 30955 battles
  • 600
  • [WW3] WW3
  • Member since:
    04-30-2015
Engine not worth to upgrade? 150 more hp but 2200 kg heavier also.

Inappropriate_noob #14 Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:51 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 17677 battles
  • 5,502
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011

View PostEvilier_than_Skeletor, on 04 April 2018 - 04:03 PM, said:

 

Negativity comes from the dumb design of the tank, even if it's not too strong. Poking your front wheel around the corner is a mistake and should be punished, but it's not in this tank. Drifting sideways to the enemy is another, but it's not punished in this tank. Atleast not enough. If you didn't like IS-3, I'm afraid the chances are you won't like this either.

 

As an update, i like the IS3 a whole lot more and I absolutely love the 257, it don't make me a much better player, but it is all good fun, along wit my T10 and my IS7, now i just need to decide what other tank line and nation to grind through.

StuffKnight #15 Posted 23 December 2018 - 02:53 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 36129 battles
  • 965
  • [_RBP_] _RBP_
  • Member since:
    06-09-2011
Nerf the sides, it's beyond retard-friendly right now. Typical b**lshit "SpAcEd ArMoUr!" down the sides that wouldn't stop a f**king peashooter in reality yet manages to just ignore 225AP for no good reason.

KomandirMiho #16 Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:52 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 6235 battles
  • 70
  • Member since:
    03-15-2014

View Postblacklupos, on 26 February 2018 - 12:24 AM, said:

Another stupid OP rasha tank. Can't pen its side with tier 10, because why not.

Today I saw one rushing in the field in malinovka, and no one was able to pen. Straight up stupid tank.

 

View PostStuffKnight, on 23 December 2018 - 03:53 AM, said:

Nerf the sides, it's beyond retard-friendly right now. Typical b**lshit "SpAcEd ArMoUr!" down the sides that wouldn't stop a f**king peashooter in reality yet manages to just ignore 225AP for no good reason.

The side armor on this tank makes 100% perfect sense, and works perfectly with the games mechanics.

 for more details.



StuffKnight #17 Posted 02 February 2019 - 10:39 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 36129 battles
  • 965
  • [_RBP_] _RBP_
  • Member since:
    06-09-2011

View PostEldritchRogue, on 29 January 2019 - 12:52 PM, said:

 

The side armor on this tank makes 100% perfect sense, and works perfectly with the games mechanics.

 for more details.

 

I know how it works, the point is that it enables fools to get away with what should be the worst moves when they have this sort of nonsense protecting them.

jeffrey_mk2 #18 Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:00 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 14942 battles
  • 397
  • [NLWGG] NLWGG
  • Member since:
    04-02-2013

I usually end up with games doing like a 1200 to 1400 dmg , shoot like 12 times / hit like 8 and pen just about 3 or 4 but then the bounced shots ....:amazed: most of the games it bounces 3 to 4k?

But its no use because you need to deal dmg to actually win , its mobility is quite good and the side armour is what I show when people try to circle me  and that mostly end up in a bounced shot.

But the gun for me is quite bad , its typical rassia gun because you aim for 3 years and miss the shots and then when you're on the move you hit the most stupid targets.

Even though I like the tank the gun is not accurate at all in my opinion :justwait: Ive watched skill4tu playing the tank and he just hit most shots (even with little aim).

Mine is fully upgraded/equiped but the crew is now at first skill (around 60%) , I guess that is the main problem not hitting a lot?

And what is the best equipment to take with you ? I guess a gun rammer is usefull at least?


Edited by jeffrey_mk2, 09 March 2019 - 03:34 PM.


chubbysnake #19 Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:32 AM

    Private

  • Player
  • 18696 battles
  • 29
  • Member since:
    08-09-2014

View Postjeffrey_mk2, on 07 March 2019 - 10:00 AM, said:

I usually end up with games doing like a 1200 to 1400 dmg , shoot like 12 times / hit like 8 and pen just about 3 or 4 but then the bounced shots ....:amazed: most of the games it bounces 3 to 4k?

But its no use because you need to deal dmg to actually win , its mobility is quite good and the side armour is what I shot when people try to circle me  and that mostly end up in a bounced shot.

But the gun for me is quite bad , its typical rassia gun because you aim for 3 years and miss the shots and then when you're on the move you hit the most stupid targets.

Even though I like the tank the gun is not accurate at all in my opinion :justwait: Ive watched skill4tu playing the tank and he just hit most shots (even with little aim).

Mine is fully upgraded/equiped but the crew is now at first skill (around 60%) , I guess that is the main problem not hitting a lot?

And what is the best equipment to take with you ? I guess a gun rammer is usefull at least?

Gun is perfectly fine and you should be able to do more damage than the tank’s hp. Just get in close and brawl with your apponents. 

Equipment wise, I use the standard vstabs, rammer and optics. Feel free to swap out optics for vents if you’re not bothered about view range. 

This tank doesn’t need a great crew to perform well. It will help but only slightly so don’t worry about not having a 5 skill crew. Focus on getting bia and repairs. 

 



Venom7000 #20 Posted 31 March 2019 - 12:37 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 8300 battles
  • 733
  • Member since:
    03-10-2018
I found it to be more reliable tank when you dont think about it and just be as aggressive as hell. I used to overthink positioning, wanted to snipe. Got myself killed all the time.
Now when I gave up trying to understand how to work the armor at distant ranges and just play the tank so I can get to IS7, guess what.... its good now. Because I charge and rush and play like an idiot. That is what this tank want in its driver.
A complete lack of brain or care if he survives or not.

Edited by Venom7000, 31 March 2019 - 12:38 AM.






Also tagged with Comments, tips, and so on

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users