Will they ever sell the IS-3A again?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Uebergewicht #1 Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
  • [ATD] ATD

It seems like it has been quite a while since this tank has been offered anywhere, or even mentioned publically. Considered strong when it first launched, it got swept under the rug since then and excells in abstinence from the shops as well as the battlefields. "But it´s just another Soviet tier 8 heavy! Don´t we have enough of those?" Well, regarding tanks you could potentially buy, the IS-3A is the only tier 8 Soviet heavy premium besides the Defender that is not balanced around premium match making. The IS-6 is always there, sure, but many people get turned off by low-pen tanks in the new match maker, and regarding the KV-5, even if people wanted it, WG hasnt sold that one either in a long time. The Defender is out of the question for us, so would the IS-3A technically still be attractive?

Personally, the IS-3A is actually one of my most played tanks. Back in the day it was actually my first tier 8 tank - I bought it when I played enough tier 7 and felt ready to move a tier higher, but wanted to start with an elited tank that would train my crews and earn some silver. The 3A was recommended back then, seen as only slightly weaker than the IS-3, which was generally regarded as the king of tier 8. And back then, being relatively unexperienced, I did not mind the tank, did okay in it, and subsequently played it a lot.

Quite a while later, now having experiences from various other sources regarding tier 8 heavies, I went back to the IS-3A and took it out for a spin. And that was quite an awakening. I have no idea how I was able to bear this tank back in my day... the gun handling is so utterly atrocious it makes me want to pull my hair out. The bloom is insane, the aim time takes ages, and any kind of snapshot seems doomed to fail (not that fully aiming makes it much better). The tank is also pretty slow to get around, which drastically limits your support potential against higher tiers: Your gun forces you to get exceptionally close to have any chance to pen the enemy, but you´re way to slow for quick flanks or peeks. The tank frustrated me so immensely that I actually traded it in at the last event for somethign differently, the only premium tank I ever got rid of.

Still, I wonder: Will WG ever put the IS-3 in the shop again? Just because I disliked it eventually, doesnt mean somebody else could have fun with it. Or does it? Yeah, lets talk about the elephant in the room... the Defender. No matter how you look at it, it seems the IS-3A was so thoroughly one-upped by the Defender in every regard that basically nobody would touch this thing if it was on offer, despite the fact that the Defender will most likely stay unobtainable for those who dont own it yet. The Defender has on paar mobility, ridiculous armor, an even bigger boomstick that also handles better than the 3As gun. Oh, and the 3A is also a worse crew trainer because it only has three crewmen. The one objective advantage the 3A has is... dpm. Not outstanding dpm or anything, just a bit better than the other tanks. Yeah thats not gonna work out - if you really want a tier 8 heavy that focusses on dpm, get the Cearnarvon. But that´s jsut how I see it.

Will the 3A resurface again? Should it resurface again? Does WG expect to get completely ridiculed if thes put this thing to sale while the Defender exists?

Maybe the IS-3A could have a positive future. With some buffs, it could maybe become an interesting but balanced alternative to the 252 Blyatmobile which is so ridiculous WG wont even sell it. Maybe by bringing it up to the levels of the regular IS-3 in terms of handling and mobility... maybe by giving it a certain speciality, like Cearnarvon-like dpm? Who knows?

So, what is your stance?

- Will WG put the IS-3A on sale again anytime in the forseeable future? Or should it stay buried?

- Would you be interested if it was up for grabs?

- Do you think the 3A should be changed (and if yes, how?)

- Do you think the 3A has the potential to become a better balanced Defender replacement?

Balc0ra #2 Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:07 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62806 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
I'm sure it will appear again at some point. But considering it was one of those that sold well early on due to the "OP" hype on paper. Then when it went live ppl realized it was "meh" at best. Then a few months later the meta did shift and it became underpowered. The last time they sold it the population hardly did go up on it. And when that happens. WG usually don't sell them for awhile.

Lord_Edge #3 Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5757 battles

If they put it on sale again I would buy it as I like to collect tanks and along with the KV-5 it's been on my list for a long time.

As far as the Defender comparison goes though it's not really valid, the IS3-A basically sacrifices some of the mobility and armour of the IS-3 to gain DPM and a bit better gold pen, so compared to the Defender it sacrifices more armour to gain more DPM, whether it's a nice alternative to the Defender or a joke comparison depends on what the player wants out of a tank I guess.

The comparison is also situational, I.E If you're getting shot at by a Skorpion G then it's better to be in the Defender as your extra armour will help you more and the extra gold pen won't be of any use, but if you run into a Type 4 Heavy then the armour difference will be of little help and the pen advantage will be very important (265mm APCR isn't guaranteed to go through the front of a T4H especially with a little angle, but there's not much it can do vs 270mm HEAT).

MaxxyNL #4 Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10768 battles
  • [RANGX] RANGX
I am waiting for the IS-3A and the Cromwell B. :bush:

Search_Warrant #5 Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:23 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 25990 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Why play a tank thats just a downgraded IS-3 and a gun thats worse than IS-5?

Uebergewicht #6 Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
  • [ATD] ATD

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 24 February 2018 - 07:23 PM, said:

Why play a tank thats just a downgraded IS-3 and a gun thats worse than IS-5?

Exactly my thoughts. But should it stay that way? As it currently is the only non-pref-MM option for Russian tier 8 heavies (who would ever have though that choice tier 8 Russian premium heavies would become so effectively limited?).

Search_Warrant #7 Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:59 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 25990 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostUebergewicht, on 25 February 2018 - 08:46 AM, said:

Exactly my thoughts. But should it stay that way? As it currently is the only non-pref-MM option for Russian tier 8 heavies (who would ever have though that choice tier 8 Russian premium heavies would become so effectively limited?).

Whats more sad is they release IS-3A and then they make an abomination like Defender but somehow they are "equal" in WG's mind

Edited by Search_Warrant, 25 February 2018 - 10:00 AM.

kaneloon #8 Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26647 battles
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 25 February 2018 - 08:59 AM, said:

Whats more sad is they release IS-3A and then they make an abomination like Defender but somehow they are "equal" in WG's mind

When the is3a was sold it was still the time when premium tanks where in the middle of the stock - elited range, with some even buffs/ nerfs.

Now that buyers can elite a tank pretty easily they don t care buying those premium tanks, and that produced the defender time of op premiums.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users