Poll & discussion about Japanese MT branch (questions about performance, as well discussion abou...

fidget_spinners_are_gods

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Japanese MTs (69 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Japanese MT line - what you think about it?

1. A great branch overall with consistently great tanks in the entire line. (1 vote [1.45%])

Percentage of vote: 1.45%

2. Overall a good branch. May have a stinker or two, but outside of that is good and has a worthy end-reward. (9 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

3. Fairly average branch overall. (23 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Has a good tank or two, but for the most part the line is poor and not really worthwhile. (25 votes [36.23%])

Percentage of vote: 36.23%

5. Terrible line with a terrible end reward. (11 votes [15.94%])

Percentage of vote: 15.94%

Do you think the line needs a buff / rework?

1. Yes. (51 votes [73.91%])

Percentage of vote: 73.91%

2. No. (3 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

3. Neutral / can't decide / etc. (15 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

Should the STB-1 get hydropneumatic suspension, as long as it is implemented so that it doesn't hinder the tank's offensive capabilities like on the Swedish TDs?

1. Yes. (30 votes [43.48%])

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

2. No. (15 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

3. Neutral / can't decide / etc. (24 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

Vote Hide poll

leggasiini #1 Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:47 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 9705 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Just curious what people think about Japanese MT branch as a whole these days. It never has been especially popular, although some of them were considered good back in the day, namely the STA-1 and STB-1. In spite of that, the line has remained almost completely unchanged since the release. The only change was the turret armor change on the STB-1 and slight nerf to the Type 61's gun depression at the back of the vehicle. In fact, the Japanese MT branch is probably the most unchanged branch in the game; being largely the same as it was released back in late-2013. Nowadays, it seems like people barely even talk about this branch and it seems to be one of the most forgotten lines in the game.

I personally do like some of them; mostly the Chi-To and Chi-Ri, but I honestly fail to find any tank in the entire line that is actually "great", except maybe some of the tier 3-4s (namely the Ke-Ho). The STB-1 used to be great, but it seems like that most consider it to be a fairly mediocre, considering the lol-powercreep at the tier 10.

Another thing that has been discussed about since release of the Swedish TDs is the hydropneumatic suspension for the STB-1. Personally I have mixed feelings about that; on other hand, it would make the tank unique, but on other hand, if implemented poorly, it could easily end up just crippling the tank. The way it works on the Swedish TDs simply wouldnt work on a medium tank like the STB-1, so it would have to be somewhat different.

Thoughts?

a-and there is no reason to suspect anything; this is obviously just a completely random post about Japanese MTs and not anyhow related to something something proposals...heheh...heh :^)

Edited by leggasiini, 24 February 2018 - 07:48 PM.

shikaka9 #2 Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:54 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 54634 battles
  • [CSSSR] CSSSR
chi-ri once was very fun to play tank, now it is outdated ... sta-1 nothing impressive .... type 61 was a very big surprise, one of the best snipers and favorite tank from this mt line ... 

samuelx43a #3 Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20344 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

not sure really.

the line is balanced overall, maybe the chi-ri is a bit eh, but I don't see any terribad tanks.

currently at the chi-to. its an allright tank, bit sluggish, but decent overall. also -10 gundep is really nice on it

vasilinhorulezz #4 Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21261 battles

I really want to research the STB (very cool looking tank), but I'm not really fond of the grind, personally, I don't find the line very appealing,

also on the hydro-pneumatic suspension on the STB, I'm not really sure how it could benefit the tank, so I'm not really fond of the idea.

TacticusMK2 #5 Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15671 battles
  • [DUAL] DUAL

View Postshikaka9, on 24 February 2018 - 08:54 PM, said:

chi-ri once was very fun to play tank, now it is outdated ... sta-1 nothing impressive .... type 61 was a very big surprise, one of the best snipers and favorite tank from this mt line ... 

I love the Type 61, some games turn out so surprisingly fun in it. Dont own the STB yet, but if it's an improved Type 61 i'll enjoy it. Both cosmetic and technic.

Nishi_Kinuyo #6 Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:35 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 6994 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Great up to and including tier 7, then it goes down the slope.

But they do typically require a slightly higher skill floor than others.

Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 24 February 2018 - 09:36 PM.

Dava_117 #7 Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:55 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17629 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS
Hated Chi-Nu, like Chi-Toand Chi-Ri. Now grinding to get STA-1. Let's see how the line change! :)

Tankyouverymuch2 #8 Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:18 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28440 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC
The Chi-Ri has great potential in skilled hands, definitely the highlight of the tree. Type 61 is outstanding, you can decrease the reload time on its 90mm gun to just under 4 seconds with all standard upgrades and food if you want pure DPM, but the 105mm is a fantastic sniper. It's similar to the E 50 with its guns, but I think it has better camo...

ares354 #9 Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:40 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 72421 battles

View PostTankyouverymuch2, on 25 February 2018 - 12:18 AM, said:

The Chi-Ri has great potential in skilled hands, definitely the highlight of the tree. Type 61 is outstanding, you can decrease the reload time on its 90mm gun to just under 4 seconds with all standard upgrades and food if you want pure DPM, but the 105mm is a fantastic sniper. It's similar to the E 50 with its guns, but I think it has better camo...

Wut ? 

0.36 vs 0.3 is same ? in what book. 

Type 61 is very bad tank. 32 round of ammo(abysmal bad), soft stats on gun only better then craplords of tier 9, Leo PTA and Centurion 7\1. No armor. Slow. 

Only good things about this tank is -10 degree gun dep and view range. 258 pen is nice, but nothing special if we look on Cenr or PTA with better acc. He use to be dpm monster, but lost that title to AMX 30. 

Tank is relic of old Wot, that for sure. Its average at best. 

Coldspell #10 Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:41 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 18583 battles

I feel like the cons usually outweight the pro's, for everything I like about one of them it has something bad, usually the bad thing is being a huge target (easily nuked by arty), being relatively sluggish and having no armour.

I feel like they could buff the power to weight on these tanks significantly without making them OP.

FluffyRedFox #11 Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:56 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21569 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
The fun ends at tier 4 imo, with all the tanks from that point onwards being either underwelming or flat-out bad. Since they're paper mediums, depending on the crayon intake of the balance department on a certain day, they'll pull a leo 1 and say that they'd be too good if buffed 'cuz "axaxa they gud snipers da" or they'll give them all stupid derp guns in order to make derp guns the Jap gimmick.

somegras #12 Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:09 AM

General

• Player
  • 46248 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
I think the line is generally fine, but they are too generic. The Chi Ri might be a stinker, but it stands out. The tier 5, 6,  and 9 are all just the most generic mediums you could ever imagine. The STB kinda has a gimmick, but it's kinda in the same category as the Leo 1 atm: horribly outclassed.

Simeon85 #13 Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 1097 battles

Tier 9 and 10 are just weak at the moment, Type 61 is just 'meh' it offers nothing really that a PTA or AMX 30 doesn't do better, even the Cent 7/1 I think is more effective as it has some armour to work with.

STB-1 is just hamstrung with poor gun handling for no real reason, I wasn't sure of the reason when it first came out, now the Cent AX, M48 Patton, AMX 30b have all had buffs it makes even less sense.

The suspension would be cool if it acted like the Swedish TDs and buffed the accuracy, gun handling and DPM of the tank, plus the gun depression to -12, you could have that bonus in siege mode, and then have the tank pretty much as it is now but with -6 gun depression in normal mode, maybe with a little less DPM (say 2.8k)

Search_Warrant #14 Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 26010 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View Postfishbob101, on 24 February 2018 - 11:56 PM, said:

The fun ends at tier 4 imo, with all the tanks from that point onwards being either underwelming or flat-out bad. Since they're paper mediums, depending on the crayon intake of the balance department on a certain day, they'll pull a leo 1 and say that they'd be too good if buffed 'cuz "axaxa they gud snipers da" or they'll give them all stupid derp guns in order to make derp guns the Jap gimmick.

Basically this. they all seem...boring.. and later just straight bad. i dont see the uniqueness or reason for them being in the game.

Edited by Search_Warrant, 25 February 2018 - 10:19 AM.

kaneloon #15 Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:54 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26717 battles
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC

Gun depression of tiers 9-10 is ok, but the lack of armor + lack of precision nullify this piece of advantage: if you care to aim you get penned (and type 61 has a so easy cupola to pen ... sometimes you think you are hidden but ... NO).

And gun elevation is a handicap, how many times did I see my gun lowering out of the target while my rear was elevating :facepalm:

They sure both need any buff given, and not that "false buff" of the stb1 turret, winning some mm front but losing more on the sides).

Stb1 is still sexy ;)

RamRaid90 #16 Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:57 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 19727 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Been all the way up the line 100+ games in the tier X.

Tier V and VI are bad. Nothing more, nothing less. They are outclassed by everything at their respective tiers (alot of them can't even compete with the tier below)

Chi-Ri is memes. Hilarious fun, but still not competetive. Does not fit the line at all.

Sta-1 is a nice tank. When used at distance can be a half decent threat, not uprooting any trees but still a solid tank.

Type 61: The gem of the line imo.  Excellent gun, good mobility, nicely maneuverable and despite the lack of armour a good tank at the tier.

STB-1: Underwhelming when compared to the Type 61 and other Tier X meds. Close to bottom of the medium class at tier X, really struggles to carry due to lack of armour and low HP plus it's not really that fast. Gun depression is nice but pointless when you can't bounce even tier VIIIs.

All in all the line is average. Thats all there is to it. Needs buffs to the tier X (particularly turret armour) andthe STA-1 could do with some love too. Chi-ri needs a new branch of heaviums to go into and a new tier VII needs placing in. Finally the tier V and VI need DPM buffs at the very least.

Despite all the flaws though, STB-1 and Type 61 are by far the best looking tanks in the game.

Edited by RamRaid90, 25 February 2018 - 10:57 AM.

ApocalypseSquad #17 Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:19 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26150 battles
Interesting the different perspectives people have.  For me, it seems a pretty decent line up until the Type 61 - which to me feels like a complete abomination.  Sluggish for a med, huge, no armour, zero camo.  Has nothing going for it except dpm - which is useless if you can't hide or trade shots.  However I only unlocked the 105 last night and have yet to try it.  Does it make a difference?

arthurwellsley #18 Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:33 AM

Major

• Player
  • 50519 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostRamRaid90, on 25 February 2018 - 09:57 AM, said:

Been all the way up the line 100+ games in the tier X. Me to

Tier V Chi-Nu - is a decent tier V

Tier V Chi Nu Kai - premium crew trainer = decent

Yier VI Chi-To - nothing special in tier but but decent.

Tier VII- Chi-Ri - Does not fit the line at all. Can really bully low tiers with the auto loader, but the size of a ship, and with low penetration means in most games it is utterly useless.

Sta-1 is a nice tank. When used at distance can be a half decent threat, not uprooting any trees but still a solid tank. Agree

Type 61: The gem of the line imo.  Excellent gun, good mobility, nicely maneuverable and despite the lack of armour a good tank at the tier. Agree

STB-1: Underwhelming when compared to the Type 61 and other Tier X meds. Close to bottom of the medium class at tier X, really struggles to carry due to lack of armour and low HP plus it's not really that fast. Gun depression is nice but pointless when you can't bounce even tier VIIIs. It also has gun handling issues. Now thoroughly outclassed by the Patton.

All in all the line is average. Thats all there is to it. Needs buffs to the tier X (particularly turret armour) and the STA-1 could do with some love too. Chi-ri needs a new branch of heaviums to go into and a new tier VII needs placing in. Finally the tier V and VI need DPM buffs at the very least.

Despite all the flaws though, STB-1 and Type 61 are  is by far the best looking tanks in the game.

I am pretty much in agreement with RamRaid.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 25 February 2018 - 11:34 AM.

RamRaid90 #19 Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 19727 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostApocalypseSquad, on 25 February 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

Interesting the different perspectives people have.  For me, it seems a pretty decent line up until the Type 61 - which to me feels like a complete abomination.  Sluggish for a med, huge, no armour, zero camo.  Has nothing going for it except dpm - which is useless if you can't hide or trade shots.  However I only unlocked the 105 last night and have yet to try it.  Does it make a difference?

The 105 completely changes the tank. Trading is far beter sinceyou have the alpha and the DPM is very nice. Not to mention the gun handling is exceptional.

Ricky_Rolls #20 Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:41 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 66945 battles
  • [GO-IN] GO-IN
You simply cannot clone a tank 4 or 5 times and expect each one to perform well while being different, it doesn't work. STB has terrible gun handling, low pen and a stupidly fragily ammorack, just a worse leo basically.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users