Shot by A Tank not pointing at me....

Graphics Lag

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

PurplePayload75 #1 Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:11 PM

Private

• Player
  • 24767 battles

Every so often I experience a scenario where I get shot by a tank whose turret is not pointing at me.  I assume on his graphics card it is, but I was wondering if this is server end lag or graphics card lag on my side.  Ping is about 25 and FPS is in the 60s.  Sorry I don't have a replay as it doesn't happen often enough for me to keep taking recordings.

Two questions:

1) Do others experience this?

2) Anyone have any tips on whether there is something to fix this or if it will occur.

My estimate is that when I am shot (including shell travel time) the barrel is about 10% from aiming at me.

Kozzy #2 Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:16 PM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View PostPurplePayload75, on 26 February 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

Every so often I experience a scenario where I get shot by a tank whose turret is not pointing at me.  I assume on his graphics card it is, but I was wondering if this is server end lag or graphics card lag on my side.  Ping is about 25 and FPS is in the 60s.  Sorry I don't have a replay as it doesn't happen often enough for me to keep taking recordings.

Two questions:

2) Anyone have any tips on whether there is something to fix this or if it will occur.

My estimate is that when I am shot (including shell travel time) the barrel is about 10% from aiming at me.

For anyone else reading this: Just turn replay recording on, the replays are teenie tiny and recording the replays makes zero impact on the game that is being recorded.  There are no good reasons to NOT record replays.

OP:  I don't experience this.  Turn replays on and analyse them after the battle and see if that clears things up a bit.

HidesHisFace #3 Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17736 battles

Microlag, most likely. Or a desync between your client and a server.

What you see in your game is not always exactly what the main server "sees". 

Turn on the server reticule just to check it out - you will instantly notice certain delay between your aim and reactions of the tank, as well as strange snapping when you mouse over certain terrain features.

Dava_117 #4 Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19031 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostPurplePayload75, on 26 February 2018 - 12:11 PM, said:

Two questions:

If he's aiming close to you, it is possible to hit you. Dispersion is simulated with a cone and thethe worst the dispersion, the bigger the angle at the cone tip. An arty or a derpgun can hit you even pointing at 5-10° away from you.

PurplePayload75 #5 Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:28 PM

Private

• Player
  • 24767 battles
Thanks.  I will turn on replay and post again if It occurs.

Balc0ra #6 Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 65898 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostPurplePayload75, on 26 February 2018 - 12:28 PM, said:

Thanks.  I will turn on replay and post again if It occurs.

Won't make a difference if you will. Replay is basically what your client recorded, and not what the server does. And considering how many data strings etc decides your gameplay, or what you see on screen. If one of them gets a bit delayed or out of sync. You might notice your tracer hitting something, but no damage was recorded, as the tracer you see is always delayed vs the server. If that is a bit bigger vs normal on a moving target, it might do that. Or that you turn to aim on an enemy, and the shell goes out of your side where you last aimed, or an enemy not turning the turret to fire on you. Then suddenly it's facing you in 0.1 seconds. That's just your client catching up vs the server. If you get a replay from the one that fired on you. He might have seen things differently.

Homer_J #7 Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:53 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28291 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostPurplePayload75, on 26 February 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

Every so often I experience a scenario where I get shot by a tank whose turret is not pointing at me.

Turret positions are not always closely synched with the server.  Not even your own.

In extreme cases you can start to rotate your turret and the server will rotate it in the opposite direction.  When you click fire they will suddenly resynch.

Spurtung #8 Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:56 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 62744 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP
My bet? OP's less than ideal connection to the game's servers.

TheR3dBaron #9 Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:31 PM

Major

• Player
  • 34225 battles
  • [REMY] REMY

View PostSpurtung, on 26 February 2018 - 03:56 PM, said:

My bet? OP's less than ideal connection to the game's servers.

And we have a winner ...

A couple of times per hour I get 2 lag spikes following one another rather quickly. They last around 10 to 15 seconds each, which can be rather annoying depending on the situation. The best reply I received from my ISP after 2 weeks is "has your problem been solved yet?".

pecopad #10 Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22951 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

There were also aimbots that shot without the need for the turret to turn...

I think one of the evidences on the use of aimbots was exactly that, jumpings sights without turret movement.

Dava_117 #11 Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:27 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19031 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postpecopad, on 26 February 2018 - 05:12 PM, said:

I think one of the evidences on the use of aimbots was exactly that, jumpings sights without turret movement.

That's impossible. You can change the sight as fast as you want, but turret has a turning speed calculated by the server, so if you shot with the turreat aiming on the other way, you will miss 100%. You probably just got a lag spike.

Edited by Dava_117, 26 February 2018 - 05:28 PM.

pecopad #12 Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22951 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View PostDava_117, on 26 February 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

That's impossible. You can change the sight as fast as you want, but turret has a turning speed calculated by the server, so if you shot with the turreat aiming on the other way, you will miss 100%. You probably just got a lag spike.

That wasn't impossible, there were/are a number of replays showing that... I think the most known replay in wot cheating explained that.

Warpack aimbot I think worked like that, because that was usually on of the tells that the other guys was using an aimbot.

Dava_117 #13 Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:56 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19031 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postpecopad, on 26 February 2018 - 05:37 PM, said:

That wasn't impossible, there were/are a number of replays showing that... I think the most known replay in wot cheating explained that.

Warpack aimbot I think worked like that, because that was usually on of the tells that the other guys was using an aimbot.

A cheat can't do it. The turret position is calculated by the server and so is the direction of the shot. There is no way a third party program can manipulate that, except if they hackered the server and in that case WG would have bigger problem than a cheat.

Homer_J #14 Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28291 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postpecopad, on 26 February 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

What

a

load

of

rubbish

The server determines turret rotation speed and you can only shoot where the server says your turret is pointing.  Sometimes what is displayed on the client doesn't match what the server says but the server is always right.  Any sudden turret movement is due to a disagreement between client and server and the server pulling rank.

VsUK #15 Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14288 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 26 February 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

What

a

load

of

rubbish

The server determines turret rotation speed and you can only shoot where the server says your turret is pointing.  Sometimes what is displayed on the client doesn't match what the server says but the server is always right.  Any sudden turret movement is due to a disagreement between client and server and the server pulling rank.

Technically that's not true. I remember posting a screen shot of my at point blank, shooting at another tank. But having the shot go off in a completely different direction. I was told, just because your gun is pointed at the tank, doesn't mean its pointing at the tank server side. So, unless the OP claiming the tank was looking in the opposite direction & the shot came out the rear of his turret, perfectly plausible. 

But then again, people will always demand a replay & more than half of them never bother watching it. But it doesn't stop them discrediting you non the less. 

pecopad #16 Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22951 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View PostVsUK, on 26 February 2018 - 06:03 PM, said:

Technically that's not true. I remember posting a screen shot of my at point blank, shooting at another tank. But having the shot go off in a completely different direction. I was told, just because your gun is pointed at the tank, doesn't mean its pointing at the tank server side. So, unless the OP claiming the tank was looking in the opposite direction & the shot came out the rear of his turret, perfectly plausible. 

But then again, people will always demand a replay & more than half of them never bother watching it. But it doesn't stop them discrediting you non the less. 

The most well known aimbot cheating replay in WOT is clear about that...

It is a well known aimbot tell... tanks that shoot at you without aiming, quite common this days... even on streams...

Steve8066 #17 Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11930 battles

View PostPurplePayload75, on 26 February 2018 - 12:11 PM, said:

Two questions:

1 - yes

2 - i put it down to lag

RamRaid90 #18 Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:11 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21118 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View Postpecopad, on 26 February 2018 - 05:08 PM, said:

The most well known aimbot cheating replay in WOT is clear about that...

It is a well known aimbot tell... tanks that shoot at you without aiming, quite common this days... even on streams...

Again, a pleb who doesn't understand anything about how the game works.

HidesHisFace #19 Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17736 battles

View Postpecopad, on 26 February 2018 - 05:37 PM, said:

there were/are a number of replays showing that... 

Show it then. 

Or...

Let me guess - all the replays showing this magically disappeared/were confiscated by KGB?

pecopad #20 Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22951 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View PostHidesHisFace, on 26 February 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

Show it then. 

Or...

Let me guess - all the replays showing this magically disappeared/were confiscated by KGB?

I was talking about the well known quickybaby youtube video... there are tons of aimbot replays out there. Can't post this things on forum without risking bans

Also there has been a discussion involving some well known streamers, last week I think, and a replay where it was clear that he shot other tank without the barrel pointing to the place he was shooting,nor the sight even being on the vicinity....

Also tagged with Graphics Lag

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users